PDA

View Full Version : Making new floor for tinny

Bilopete
09-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Hi everyone,
I bought a 2nd hand boat and it had a carpeted marine ply floor thats a bit worse for wear.

So, I'm thinking of making some new floors and want some advice.

My current floor has the carpet glued on the top and rolled around the side and is about 50mm-100m long underneath.

Would there be any problem just gluing the carpet on the top and trimming the carpet along the edge (i.e instead of rolling it around the edge)?

Not that its expensive but I don't want to waste a couple of hundred bucks in materials either.

Cheers

Bilopete

Bilopete
09-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Is there any problem with my idea?

seamonkey
09-04-2008, 11:56 PM
Bilopete

You'll find that by not rolling under the second edge you'll get a weak edge prone to lifting. The end grain of the ply is the worst part to stick to. That said 100mm over roll is a bit excessive...with good glueing you could get away with 25mm.

Smky

Luke G
10-04-2008, 03:19 PM
S/S staples help the rolled edge from coming apart too.

Bilopete
10-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Ok can anybody advise what thickness marine ply I sould be aiming for? Is 19mm an overkill or somwhere in between?

I have read up on using construction ply as well and are now aware of the "voids" that occur. Having said that is it still worth considering using this material instead?

Ally Jack
10-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Depends on the spacing of your floor supports but 12mm should be heaps.
I used construction ply in my floors and casting decks, coated them with 2pac exopy. Can't remember the name of the stuff, but it was really thin and soaked into the timber really well, end grain especially.
Worked out heaps cheaper in the end, no problems going on 2 years now.
Ally Jack