PDA

View Full Version : Catch and release

Breambuster33
09-04-2008, 05:12 PM
hey guys,
I want to know who catch and releases while they are fishing.
cheers
breambuster33

kingtin
09-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Me! All the time....................but it ain't intentional ::) ;D

kev

blaze
09-04-2008, 05:33 PM
cant answer your poll, to me its not wether I catch and release or fillet and grill its wether I fish within the laws of the state I fish in. I think these questions are just posted to start bunfights.
cheers
blaze

mod5
09-04-2008, 05:36 PM
cant answer your poll, to me its not wether I catch and release or fillet and grill its wether I fish within the laws of the state I fish in. I think these questions are just posted to start bunfights.
cheers
blaze

And the first one to start goes ...............................

bdowdy
09-04-2008, 06:39 PM
1oo per cent release any fish i catch in the wild ( local creeks rivers) only ever keep a fish in a stocked impoundment and thats only ocasional..., rather catch and release so some one else has the pleasure. cheers bdowdy..brett

banshee
09-04-2008, 06:42 PM
A bit of both,fishing an estuary/river/creek/dam will see me useing lures exclusively and nothing gets taken home,likewise jigging outside will see all fish released with the exception of the odd pearlie that jumps on,once I'm over the jigging for the day (or that particular area) it's out with the Reefmasters and a feed is rustled up,I have no problem taking the bag limmit of legal Snapper or Pearlies and I'm also partiale to the odd piece of Jew or Trag.

chief 1
09-04-2008, 07:37 PM
sometimes i do,not all the time but its not like i keep every fish i catch

tunaticer
09-04-2008, 07:38 PM
I will take two squire for a morning and everything else is let go. seeing I get out about once a month these days its not too much of a toll on the resources.

If I am chasing winter whiting i pull the pin once I have about 30ish fish to feed the crowd that night.

If I am bream fishing I release every one as I do not like eating them.

I will keep one flathead around 50-60cm and release every other one.

Normally a fishing trip these days is about 4-6 hours on the water and i may catch two fish or 50 fish depending on the day but only take two fish for a feed or two.

Jack.

BARRAkid
09-04-2008, 07:45 PM
im a 100% catch and release with feshwater fish expecially barra
i keep the odd saltwater fish but mostly catch and release.

cheers BK

Cammy
09-04-2008, 08:14 PM
im always catch and release, caus eim hopeless and catching legal ones.

i only keep salties like mabye a flatty or a bream, but i usually only keep something that i havent caught for a while. but hey i have let go a mud crab that didnt fit in the bucket because it was to big.lol.

Cammo

BLOOEY
09-04-2008, 08:43 PM
I really enjoy a fresh feed of fish, crustacea. But fish very regularly and release heaps of fish also. Saltwater fish only for me to B.K. and cammy. Ben

NAGG
09-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Its all C&R for fresh water fish ....... with the exception of trout

Salt Water ...... The majority released unless I feel like a fresh feed ( usually when away on hols)

Nagg

nautilus
09-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Blaze, I think that is great that you support marine parks 100%. So do I.

I mostly practice catch and release. I prefer red meat to fish, but I like the fact that I can enjoy the sport without damaging the environment too much.

Nic
10-04-2008, 07:25 AM
My philosophy is to release any fish that is more enjoyable to catch than it is to eat. :) We only keep what we need, of course, and try to use the right tools and handling to give the released fish the best chance at survival.

If anybody's interested there are some useful fact sheets on the topic at the Info-fish website: http://www.info-fish.net/releasefish/browsetopics.asp?mode=viewtopic&name=Best%20Practice%20Issues

Having said that, I'm sure lots of Ausfishers would already follow these guidelines... anglers are a more responsible bunch than many people think.

black_sheep
10-04-2008, 07:56 AM
C&R mostly but keep a few reefies when offshore or the occassional flatty.

Never keep impoundment fish or wild barra/jacks.

youknowlenny
10-04-2008, 12:59 PM
yummo.........

blaze
10-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Blaze, I think that is great that you support marine parks 100%. So do I.

I mostly practice catch and release. I prefer red meat to fish, but I like the fact that I can enjoy the sport without damaging the environment too much.

Made no metion of marine parks in my post, wondering how you come to that conclusion
cheers
blaze

dogsbody
10-04-2008, 02:33 PM
C@R on all undersize fish ;D The only trouble is catching enough legal ones for a few feeds.

Dave.

Riv_71
10-04-2008, 02:51 PM
I keep all legals i catch however please keep in mind i could be one of the worst fisher persons (notice the Fisher person coment how PC is that:D )

on the planet so there is no danger in me dwindling the stock, however as i get better and over the last few months this is happening ill only keep what we are going to eat and release the rest.

SunnyCoastMark
10-04-2008, 06:29 PM
I throw back just about evrything under around 45cm - (I hate cleaning/filleting small fish).

Generally we will take enough for a couple of feeds for our family of 5 plus a few extra's for the neighbours.

Then we start experimenting - trying out new grounds/techniques etc.

Mark

imnotoriginal
10-04-2008, 07:09 PM
My philosophy is to release any fish that is more enjoyable to catch than it is to eat. :) We only keep what we need, of course, and try to use the right tools and handling to give the released fish the best chance at survival.

If anybody's interested there are some useful fact sheets on the topic at the Info-fish website: http://www.info-fish.net/releasefish/browsetopics.asp?mode=viewtopic&name=Best%20Practice%20Issues

Having said that, I'm sure lots of Ausfishers would already follow these guidelines... anglers are a more responsible bunch than many people think.

Well said.
Joel

Scott nthQld
10-04-2008, 08:17 PM
I keep most of my catch, mainly because I like to get a couple of feeds out of it, depending on species and size of the fish and that could be up to 30 fish for 5 people. But a good sized trout will see a feed out of each fillet, but they haven't been coming to the party lately.

haggis
10-04-2008, 08:37 PM
I only keep fish if i am going to eat the fish the same day , i only keep one fish & let the rest swim away .
cheers haggis

chief 1
10-04-2008, 09:35 PM
i will keep a fair few fish,it all depends on size for me and what species it is,its not like you are going to keep one whiting and chuck the rest back,i personally wouldn't keep any freshwater fish,i probably wouldn't keep 3 big mackeral or something like that either,if i caught 7 whiting i would keep them all and i would keep bream as well

The_Outlaw
10-04-2008, 11:03 PM
I will keep the ocasional fish for a feed, and I will also take a few cattys and mullet home for the freezer as crab bait..
But it does all depend on the type of fish and the size.
One or Two nice big snapper or something, and throw the rest back.

alphas
11-04-2008, 01:32 PM
As I fish impoundments mainly, I always release.Gives you something to go back for !

mik01
11-04-2008, 05:12 PM
i don't really like eating fish that's been frozen, so if I can't eat it within a day or two max then it goes back. hence I only take home a few for me and the mrs, and sometimes a few more as a treat for the in-laws or my parents. (more so to tease the old man!!)

therefore my answer is sometimes...

choppa
12-04-2008, 07:32 PM
mmmmmmmm,,,,,

choppa
12-04-2008, 07:38 PM
seriously tho',,, i mainly c&r,,,, without exception,,, UNLESS the need for a feed arises,,,, and then its only a case of first in the esky loses,,,

i've been more in tagging than anything else (even tho this has slipped a bit over the past 12 months),,, and i still get frustrated over the one that gets away,,, or the one thats there,,, and wont grab on,,,

its an interesting response to your question tho,,,, and as blaze stated,, this normally gets hammered with the right to fish and keep,,,, versus those who don't,,

choppa,,

marine park???????????

wags on the water
18-04-2008, 07:12 AM
Might as well give my 2c...

As I don't get to fish as much as I would like to, if heading offshore I will take my fair share. My rule of thumb is legal size +5cm and over (legal+4 goes back). With the cost of fuel these days, it's not worth heading offshore for 1 or 2 fish.
For estuaries and the bay - bream and trevally are sport fish to me. If I luck out and catch a couple of flatties, they'll hit the table. Two 45-55cm flatties will feed 4 people as it did last friday night. As for jack, I've only ever caught 2 and the first went back (20cm), the 2nd was from the reef and tasted ever so sweet.

Each to their own.

Bronson
18-04-2008, 11:53 AM
i usually put the fish i catch on lures back and the fish i catch on bait i keep if they are perfect size but i dont really bait fish that much any more.

bron

Az
18-04-2008, 03:55 PM
release if I have a good feed to take home already... or if i'm fishing in the Brissie river for sport

nigelr
21-04-2008, 05:04 PM
I only fish for food, although I love to fish I'm happy to leave them alone when I've got a feed or 2 or 3. Generally I wont fish again until stocks are depleted.
I'll take a few extra chopper or small mac tuna for bait without a problem, and of course, everything undersize or undesirable (sharks, rays etc) goes back.
Don't mind catching the odd shark for fun, about as close as I come to catch and release.
Each to their own, as Blaze says, just obey the relevent laws.
Cheers.

Shagga
25-04-2008, 10:34 AM
I keep every legal fish that I catch. That adds up to about three fish a year. No wonder I am always at the seafood shop.

TimiBoy
25-04-2008, 10:49 AM
I only keep what I can eat fresh or give away. And I don't give people enough to freeze.

But I don't catch keepers that often, because I suck at fishing! ;D

onerabbit
25-04-2008, 10:08 PM
I dont eat bream, so most estuary fish are safe, I'd rather let a Flatty go too.

About the only time I fish the estuary is for comp points, if I can weigh the fish live , get a slip & release the fish, I do.

Outside is different..........

good fish in the boat go home.

Muzz

Blaster Bretty
28-04-2008, 11:37 AM
I am a short term fisho,meaning, I only fish for 2-3 hrs at a time then its off home to the mrs + kids, I only ever target tailor,bream,flattie's and will take home the odd cod and jack if I get lucky but will only take what can be eaten within a day or two, If im lucky enough to have a good haul then some will live another day but good haul's are quite far apart these day's.

Bretty

alleycat
28-04-2008, 12:48 PM
I release any flathead over 60 and snapper over 60 as well, in the 12 months up to april 07 i could bag out most mornings on snapper by 6 am and my best morning was 18 legal snapper by 8 am, however in the last 12 months ive caught under 10 snapper and i go mid week, i do believe in bag limits and a person right to take that limit, however i dont believe bag limits are appropriate in areas of high fishing pressure as with moreton bay.
Who would go fishing if nothing decent was ever caught?.

Atriplex
27-05-2008, 06:02 PM
I fish to catch fish and to have a bit of fun doing it. But I don't like killing fish, and especially fish that aren't sexually mature. Once I've got enough fish I'll stop fishing.

LostNearBribie
27-05-2008, 06:07 PM
I will keep one flatty for my mum if she wants one for dinner.
Other than that they all go back.
Always feels good letting them go.

MeePee_99
27-05-2008, 06:13 PM
Hi,

Catch and release is the only way, i have kept about one fish in two years i just cant kill them. The fish gave us the pleasure of the fight, so we should give them the contentment of their lives. (although i am i lure fisho, but if i was a bait fisherman i think things would be a bit different)

sharkymark2
27-05-2008, 06:32 PM
Went out last night and bagged out on Squire plus 3 choppers 38cm plus released 20 odd squire and choppers to small. I have given away 5 of the 13, eating 2 tonight and the rest will cover me in the lean times. I have been given strict instructions ...... no more squire. So will have to search for some other species to satisfy she who must be obeyed. I sometimes fish the beaches and can catch lots of flathead but come to a point where I take a feed and leave the others alone. Future generations will thank me ;). But if this link is serious then we need to do more than just release ..... we need to get political to preserve and protect as well. All very well putting green areas in but what about the pollution coming off our roads. There are lots of more things that need attention as well as catch and release. No point fiddling while Rome burns.

MeePee_99
27-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Catch and release is the way of the future!!!!!

Ninja
28-05-2008, 11:17 PM
I kill everything I pull out of the water. On the rare occassion I might release an undersized fish before killing it if I know I can't fit any more in my 3 chest freezers at home.
I recon catch and release is the cruelest part of fishing. What good does it do the fish to be wrenched out of their habitat, possibly gut hooked of bleeding from the gills, exhausted and inflated and then returned to the water with a possible chance of survival all so you got your kicks. I eat fish all the time and enjoy it. Wether I bought the fish from the store or fished it myself has little difference on the impact of the ocean but when I caught it I also had the bonus of killing the fish myself....and fishing for it.

MeePee_99
29-05-2008, 07:04 AM
yer (lucky ur one of a kind)

Atriplex
29-05-2008, 01:31 PM
Went out last night and bagged out on Squire plus 3 choppers 38cm plus released 20 odd squire and choppers to small. I have given away 5 of the 13, eating 2 tonight and the rest will cover me in the lean times. I have been given strict instructions ...... no more squire. So will have to search for some other species to satisfy she who must be obeyed. I sometimes fish the beaches and can catch lots of flathead but come to a point where I take a feed and leave the others alone. Future generations will thank me ;). But if this link is serious then we need to do more than just release ..... we need to get political to preserve and protect as well. All very well putting green areas in but what about the pollution coming off our roads. There are lots of more things that need attention as well as catch and release. No point fiddling while Rome burns.

I totally agree with you.

Breambuster33
29-05-2008, 09:16 PM
yer (lucky ur one of a kind)i certainly agree with you meepee.
good on you guys thanks for replying