PDA

View Full Version : what size outboard?

bondibrummie
08-04-2008, 10:50 PM
Gday

I have just bought 10ft de haveland john punt. i want to use it with 2 or sometimes 3 mates for freshwater fishing what size outboard should i get and do you go for a 2 stroke.

Thanks

BaitThrower
08-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Yeah probably 2-stroke is a good idea on a small boat like that, because they are lighter in weight. Umm the boat will porbably have a max recommended motor size? Go with that. A 9.9hp should get you on the plane with 2 people + fishing gear aboard. Not so sure with 3 people. You would probably want at least 15hp to get up on the plane with 3 adults + gear? Check what the boat is rated for though.

Blackened
09-04-2008, 06:24 AM
G'day

Agree with above comments, however if using for freshwater only, look at any places that you fish that do not allow 2 stroke, you may have the only option for a 4/, electric or sail then.

9.9 or 15hp would be ideal, depending on boat rating

Dave

Noelm
09-04-2008, 08:47 AM
I am sort of thinking that 15HP on a flat bottom 10' Boat will be a handfull (and fast) and 3 people will be pretty "cosy" to say the least, not too sure if any Waterways have actually banned 2 strokes as yet, some have no Motors at all, and some are Electric only, but there may be some that have done so.

CreelReaper
09-04-2008, 09:18 AM
Mate, Do you have a license or is the punt registered? There are legal requirements for hp rating. 3 people might be exceeding the boats limits on load too. Don't want to take your fun away but all things must be considered.

ctwaddle
09-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Also the transom weight might be a factor as most 10 foot punts dont have much free board at the best of times. I would think a 15 would be a overkill but also being a older built punt you might find that the guage of the aluminum might be heavier then the common punt today. A mate had a 10foot dehavalin hull with a 9.9 on it and it got along but it was a V - bottom.

bondibrummie
09-04-2008, 10:42 AM
What is does it mean to plain and what wolud happen if outboard was not powerfull enough to get punt to plain?

Noelm
09-04-2008, 10:49 AM
planing is when the Boat sort of just skims on top of the Water, as distinct from "chugging" along in a "hole" which is called displacement, kind of like a speed Boat and an old Trawler.

Noelm
09-04-2008, 10:51 AM
just thought of a better way to describe it, a Water skier is Planing when he is up and skiing, but is at displacement when he is being dragged through the Water before he gets up (sort of)

whiteman
09-04-2008, 11:21 AM
My 10footer has a 6hp Suzuki 4s - great motor, lightweight and a fuel miser. Planes at 25kph with me and fishing gear. Add a person and still planes at around 20kph. 3rd person? Not much room unless they are real small.