PDA

View Full Version : Periodic Engine starts ?

datamile
08-04-2008, 09:31 PM
Given the ongoing windy weekends in the bay , do people recommend starting their engines, and running/flushing them for a while if you've been out of the water for a month or so ?

If so, how long should I run it to ensure that its ok, and that the battery will be charged back up.

Its a Evin DI 115.

Roughasguts
08-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Start the motor and run it for at least 10 mins every 3 weeks.
Run the trim / tilt up and down a couple of times after you have run the motor.
Pump the fuel primer bulb every 3 or 4 days to keep fuel up to the seals.
Turn the motor left and right to keep the steering from seizing up.

And charge the battery fully, with a charger the night before you take the boat out.

Oooops might wan't to point out that after idling your motor every 3 weeks for a few months will foul the plugs with a 2 banger so they will need cleaning.

Also your fuel will be old and stale best to drain it and replace it with fresh stuff.

datamile
08-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks. Sounding like a full time job just to keep it on dry land.

Do turn the motor after the steering jammed a few months back, but not much else.

Fuel is pretty run down after I ended up with 40litres of stale in the spring, but really must get out there. Tend to keep it low, and take 20/40 litre in cans now.

Guess I need to get a charger out, and pump the primer etc. Must get around to fitting a second battery so that I don't rely on one failing with my limited use.

Roughasguts
08-04-2008, 10:10 PM
To be honest I'm not big on second batteries for a boat that only goes out for a couple of hours at a time. All right for an overnighter.

A new battery fully charged with clean simple wiring will not let you down.

But 2 old batteries with isolation switches many leads and conectors and the possibility of that letting you down. Then you can add the motor possibly trying to charge both batteries at the same time, may well fry your motors charging system, rectifiers ain't cheap.

Your outboard is just not meant to handle the big loads of charging flat batteries, not to mention it's not great for a long battery life either. They should be slow trickle charged over night for best results.

BaitThrower
08-04-2008, 11:11 PM
I run my outboard once a week if I havent taken it out that week. Just to get the gas, and more importantly, the oil mixed in the gas to coat the combustion chambers and other moving parts. I guess it helps keep parts from sticking if left for ages without being run.

Get a good fuel additive like Fuel Doctors or 2+4 (or any other good brand) to condition the fuel and keep it "healthy" if you are not going to use it for ages. In fact, just add this stuff anyway whenever you fill the tank. It will help prevent varnish/gum buildup and help to disperse moisture from the fuel. It costs next to nothing since you only have to add a small portion, even to larger tanks. Cheap insurance for ensuring fuel quality is kept at a good standard.

PADDLES
09-04-2008, 08:39 AM
i do pretty much what RAG has said. give it a kick in the guts every few weeks.

i never used to pump the primer much to lube up seals but it sounds like a good idea.

i wouldn't be too worried about plugs fouling with your di motor though.

the battery should be fine to have it sit there for a few weeks between engine starts/charges. i only used to throw a charger on mine if i really hadn't given it a good run on the water for a few months.

get into the habit of moving the motor every time you walk past it if you've got mechanical steering. if you've got bullhorn hydraulic then it's not necessary but if sidemount hydraulic then turn it lock to lock each time you give it a quick run or whenever you're in the boat doing one of those little "odd jobs".

you are spot on, it's a full time job keeping a boat in tippy top condition and ready for use. whether it's being used or being kept on dry land unused.

FNQCairns
09-04-2008, 07:26 PM
I have the good intention of doing it every 2 weeks but like today 5 weeks on and I am almost feeling guilty enough to bother. Think it is certainly a worthwhile exercise only if you run it long enough for the temperature to stabilise for a few minutes and use the trim/tilt and steering as mentioned above.

One thing though, it will be an uphill battle charging the battery to a level high enough to be considered seaworthy for a day on the water imo.

cheers fnq

coucho
09-04-2008, 07:37 PM
tip for longer battery life and they should never let you down is buy a solar charger and positon the solar panel on the roof of where you store your boat run some leads down to the boat with alligator clips you can connect and disconnect before you take your boat out. batteries last much longer if they are kept charged all the time and when you go to start your boat your batteries arn't flat. you can buy the cheapest 12 volt solar charger you can find its still ok cause your not draining your battery when your boat is in the shed and when you go camping yo can take your solar charger run some 12v gear and not panic about a flat battery.

tunaticer
09-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Seeing my motor is a 25 pull start I give it a wind over every week or two just to be sure nothing is getting stiff. I do not start it as i run my carbs dry every time i flush.

Jack.

Outsider1
09-04-2008, 07:51 PM
tip for longer battery life and they should never let you down is buy a solar charger and positon the solar panel on the roof of where you store your boat run some leads down to the boat with alligator clips you can connect and disconnect before you take your boat out. batteries last much longer if they are kept charged all the time and when you go to start your boat your batteries arn't flat. you can buy the cheapest 12 volt solar charger you can find its still ok cause your not draining your battery when your boat is in the shed and when you go camping yo can take your solar charger run some 12v gear and not panic about a flat battery.

Hi coucho,

that is a maintenance idea I have thought about doing for a while. However, I understand (perhaps incorrectly??) that unless you use a regulator you can potentially cook your batteries? I have a twin battery set up so have not got my mind around that aspect either as yet. Any thoughts or observations??.

I try to start my motor at least once a fortnight, run it for 5 to 10 minutes at least, get it to operating temp. The trim and tilt, and the steering also get a work out. Being an E-Tec it puts a reasonable amount of charge into the battery in 10 minutes. When I use the boat I go out on one battery and change over to the 2nd battery on the way back. I find this seems to keep them both well charged.

Cheers

Dave

ozbee
10-04-2008, 07:00 PM
i think use guys have been polishing your sparkplugs to much . do you run out in the middle of night to start your ute cause it hasnt gone for a few weeks while you were away on holidays . if a battery cant hold enough charge in six weeks your dreaming.

Scott nthQld
10-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Never started the motor when its bee sitting idle. Once left it for a few months while giving the boat a new floor, and took her out once it was done, single turn of the key and she fired, no worries. except for that fact that the battery died while I was out there, and that was just a case of it dumping a cell or 2, it was charged overnight before I took it out. But you get that when you're using an 8 yr old battery, I thought it was the newer one, but I forgot it died after only 18 months.

Just in regard to coucho mentioning hooking up a solar panel to the batteries. Its a good idea, and most modern batteries have their own internal regulator to prevent over charging. A regulator is a good idea for those with older/cheaper batts and for extra piece of mind why not put one on a modern battery.

FNQCairns
10-04-2008, 08:36 PM
i think use guys have been polishing your sparkplugs to much . do you run out in the middle of night to start your ute cause it hasnt gone for a few weeks while you were away on holidays . if a battery cant hold enough charge in six weeks your dreaming.

Yeah I agree but it also depends where the battery charge was when it last got back to a ramp, worth a decent recharge on a charger when first laid up than expect a couple of runs on the muffs to charge a battery of unknown charge back to fully charged and therefore seaworthy. The larger proportion of all on the water flat batterys simply wouldn't happen, think a flat battery it is the no1 reason for a tow I read here somewhere.

cheers fnq

Roughasguts
10-04-2008, 09:57 PM

The problem ozbee, is the car battery will be fine to start your ute after 6 weeks.

And it's not like your going to run the motor for lust 5 mins then drift out at sea with all your electrics radio's sounder stereo and bilge/ bait pump Etc all flattening your pretty dead battery.

And of course you can risk it cause your family isn't out at sea drifting towards some rocks.
Your ute would just stay put until help arrives or you got a jump start, no big deal.

The Sea on the other hand deserves some more respect, and better preperation is in order I suspect, lives are at risk here.