PDA

View Full Version : Fatal Shark Attack Ballina

Whitto
08-04-2008, 11:09 AM
It has been reported that a Teenager has been fatally injured as a result of a shark attack at Ballina, It was reported the lad suffered horrific lower body injuries, The injuries have been discribed as inflicted by a Large Shark.

SummerTrance
08-04-2008, 11:10 AM
poor fella, not a nice way to go

bdowdy
08-04-2008, 11:14 AM
THATS THE SECOND in the last few years, maybe after all these fish kills ,food is harder to find,,,, POOR KID,, sympathy to the family and to the community of ballina,FLOODS NOW THIS,NOT GOOD FOR THE AREA..CHEERS BDOWDY..BRETT:(

disorderly
08-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Poor bugger.....just read it was at lighthouse beach....close to the river mouth with dirty water around....

Outsider1
08-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Here is a link to the story on ABC News;

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/04/08/2210548.htm?section=justin

frankgrimes
08-04-2008, 11:25 AM
SMH have a report on it:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/04/08/1207420345446.html

Very sad indeed.

disorderly
08-04-2008, 11:27 AM
vic hislop is on his way. hopefully the villian is caught before it does any more damage.

Mate, are you joking?
With the dirty water around ,the probability is high that the shark just mistook him for food.

coucho
08-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Poor kid and what a tragic loss for his family noone deserves to die a teenager

stonecold
08-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Havnt heard any reports on the local radio as yet however if true it was only a matter of time. Lots of large sharks cruising close to the coast here. The po
Byron Bay has had plenty of close calls this year.
The charter operator caught and released several smaller (2.5-3m white sharks just outside the surf zone at Evans Head last year. They were following the schools of salmon.

BaitThrower
08-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Mate, are you joking?
With the dirty water around ,the probability is high that the shark just mistook him for food.

I agree, it has beeen shown many times, even proven I think countless times too that sharks do not deliberately come and try and eat humans, even great whites. I'd say it would have had to have been a bully... River mouth, muddy water, lacerations. All signs and environment for a bull. Another case, unfortunately, of mistaken identity.

We should not be killing them because of it. It's unfortunate, but when we enter the water, we are in their domain. :'( It's no way to go of course, but you have to respect the wildlife. Sure, if the same shark has been proven to be responsible for more than a few attacks on humans, then maybe time to do something.

BaitThrower
08-04-2008, 11:47 AM
I dont buy into this mistaken identity business, who tought the shark it was not allowed to bite humans? sure you are food in there domain but they also leap out of water onto rocks to take seals and penguins to say nothing of the rockfishing toll.

go get em vic you have my support.

I don't follow your reply?? Umm no one taught it... but humans are not there natural food choice. Proof is that most attacks are not, how can we say it, full consumption attacks. I.e. you get bitten once in most cases, then the shark has figured out you don't taste too good or are not a part fo their regular food type, then they let go. Most die from the resulting blood loss from the bites etc. So this is mistaken identity. If it wasnt mistaken identity, then I doubt they would be leaving anything behind.

whiting-wizard
08-04-2008, 12:09 PM
Poor bugger i feel sorry for the family
what a bad way to go!
:'(

ashh
08-04-2008, 01:33 PM
plenty big noahs around atm. My bro was paddling over to surf sth straddy the other morn'n and noticed a bloke in a tinny with the full game harness and rod n reel setup, doubled over fighting something big......bloke said he been fighting it for over an hour allready....bro got sik of waiting to see what it was and made it over onto the rocks, looked back to see the bloke with what was either a very large whaler or tiger shark up along side his tinny...said it was much longer than his 4m tinny.
Needless to say he had a very nervous paddle back across after his surf lol.

Mtx
08-04-2008, 02:11 PM
SmallUnit - Are you saying the sharks should be killed just for doing what they do naturally in THEIR natural habitat?

It is obviously a tragedy that this young guy has lost his life but at the end of the day, surfing, swimming or whatever in the water, you run this risk - It is not a reason to start slaughtering the sharks and is a very narrow minded approach.

Why don't we just wipe out all wildlife that could potentially kill a person - would that make your day better?

gogetter
08-04-2008, 02:53 PM
10 to 1 it was a bully..... dirty water , river mounth etc.......

levinge
08-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Good comments MTX, While I commiserate with the family of the young guy on their loss.

Ultimately we are in their environment and they are the top predator. Others have commented on people being unfortunately bitten by sharks and if we were considered their food, they wouldn't leave much behind, most sharks bite down and when they come into contact with large bone mass, they realise its not a fish or a seal and let go, thats probably why there are shark attack survivors and not all fatalities.

The shark was only behaving as it should in its environment, we do not have the right to destroy it for natural behaviour. If it continually harrassed and attacked then it becomes a menace and should be removed or killed. People complain about Sharks, there are alot more nasties up north than just sharks.

We have Crocs, Box Jellies, Irakanji, bad arse snakes and not to mention all the various species of sharks. Thats why I prefer to be on the water, not in it if I can help it.

disorderly
08-04-2008, 02:55 PM
MTX, sometimes I just get that wound up...

anyone would think the save the shark campaigners interview these critters on a current affairs.

these sharks must have the same leeway as a bom weather forecaster, nowhere on earth do you get such a wide percentage of error, naturally they will bite your legs off and itll be called mistaken identity.. yeh cool.

WTF are you talking about?

SASSYJNR
08-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Its Is Very Sad For The Family. The Locals Say It Was Most Likely A Bull Shark, Well I Doubt It Very Much, I Have Been Out On The Gold Coast Ane Tweed Reefs And Seen A Stupid Amount Of Mako's Latley, Usaully Only See One A Year But Have Seen Nearly One A Trip, And They Are Not Like A Bull Shark, The Mako's Are Not Scared At All

Reel Blue
08-04-2008, 03:01 PM
I dont think anyone is asking for a full scale shark slaughter but lets be realistic. To ensure our improved safety on patrolled beaches many sharks die. The nets that are placed and the baited drum lines do not prevent a shark from approaching the beach, but do prevent a shark from setting up a permanent home in the area as they are territorial. The sharks caught in the nets or on the drum lines generally die. They are not led out to sea and carefully released.

I agree that sharks do not generally seek out humans for food. However, how can anyone say with any certainty what a large powerful animal with a primitive brain may or may not do. I surf and they are always in the back of my mind.

dazzisgood
08-04-2008, 03:36 PM
? when do most of the attacks happen?

breamnut
08-04-2008, 04:13 PM
feel sorry for the kid, and family:'( but most of all i feel sorry for his friend who dragged his 15 year old mate to shore how would you get over that:(

though do not agree that they should try catch and kill the shark. imagin how many other sharks they will get before and if they get the one that made the mistake. a kid paddling on a body board with his arms and legs sticking out looks like a turtle from below.
imagin if a human was killed every time we killed a shark? mabey if the netters stopped netting the massive amounts of tailor,mullet,salmon and bream there would be a bit more food for the sharks

SLB
08-04-2008, 04:21 PM
seen a few sharks around ballina byron area when spearing lately but not much size to them all under 2.5 meter and not that interested in me but with all this dirty water and big run out tides sharks just waiting at the mouth for a feed just like a few moths ago when cows where getting washed out around the walls getting munched on by big bronzies, tigers and other species. maybe a agressive mako a few of them around too. every big rain sharks always around the walls here in ballina. its an easy feed for them.

Leighton
08-04-2008, 04:24 PM
feel sorry for the kid, and family:'( but most of all i feel sorry for his friend who dragged his 15 year old mate to shore how would you get over that:(

though do not agree that they should try catch and kill the shark. imagin how many other sharks they will get before and if they get the one that made the mistake. a kid paddling on a body board with his arms and legs sticking out looks like a turtle from below.
imagin if a human was killed every time we killed a shark? mabey if the netters stopped netting the massive amounts of tailor,mullet,salmon and bream there would be a bit more food for the sharks

True Breamnut, Heroic effort by a true mate

Cammy
08-04-2008, 04:45 PM
this is why i dont go in the water! i'd rather stay dry.

Cammo

Mtx
08-04-2008, 05:06 PM
sharks don't come into the pub so I don't go into the water. I think that is fair.

mattooty
08-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Its Is Very Sad For The Family. The Locals Say It Was Most Likely A Bull Shark, Well I Doubt It Very Much, I Have Been Out On The Gold Coast Ane Tweed Reefs And Seen A Stupid Amount Of Mako's Latley, Usaully Only See One A Year But Have Seen Nearly One A Trip, And They Are Not Like A Bull Shark, The Mako's Are Not Scared At All

Without any uncertainty, it was a bullshark. Living on the Clarence, 99% of sharks seen at our rivermouths during a fresh runout are bulls. If you stood on the end of ballina wall on almost any runout tide you would see sharks, and most likely on the larger end of the scale. No way in hell was that attack from a mako!

BLOOEY
08-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Poor bugger. And i think killing the shark is over the top. It's mentioned that sharks do not see humans as their natural food source. Why not? We have been swimming around in the ocean for quite some time now. Have a look at the amount of surfers there are in the water every weekend. We are made of meat so why wouldn't they see us as a potential easy meal. Comiserations to the family. Ben

disorderly
08-04-2008, 05:39 PM
"We've had lots and lots of rain over the last 24 hours and the water is dirty and murky.
"It's one of the things that we would always say, 'That's not a good time to go swimming'."
A shark attack response plan is being put in place and a scientist from the Fisheries Department is travelling to the area to help police with their investigations.

"A shark attack response plan is being put in place "

Translation: Vic is fueling up his landcruiser he will be there soon.

From Vic Hislop's website:-

Vic's safety rules for avoiding a shark attack....

__Swimming___

Try for clear days and clean water away from river mouths,especially after rain.

ffejsmada
08-04-2008, 05:49 PM
? when do most of the attacks happen?

When they are hungry..

mik01
08-04-2008, 05:55 PM
yeah - what a hysteria is created when only 4 people were confirmed killed in 2006 in the whole world by sharks.

sad story - poor young fella...

youknowlenny
08-04-2008, 06:26 PM
I believe smallunit is right.. despite the great loss and i do feel sorry for the family indeed. it is a terrible way to go.... I do not think the shark mistakes us for any type of food they normally feed on. As with any predatory animal, if what ever animal it is shark, lion or croc if it belives it can eat us then it will have a go. This mistaken identity stuff is rubbish.

sorry this has to be my first post

dazzisgood
08-04-2008, 06:28 PM
people r killed by cars all the time
but when r u killed by a shark watchout

richieboy
08-04-2008, 06:30 PM
I believe smallunit is right.. despite the great loss and i do feel sorry for the family indeed. it is a terrible way to go.... I do not think the shark mistakes us for any type of food they normally feed on. As with any predatory animal, if what ever animal it is shark, lion or croc if it belives it can eat us then it will have a go. This mistaken identity stuff is rubbish.

sorry this has to be my first post

Welcome mate. Got it wrong tho. Just look at the studies and research that goes into shark attacks.
Mistaken identity is a big cause. :-/

Richie

Luc
08-04-2008, 06:35 PM
All my symphaties for his family.

Gutsy act by his mate.

As a mark of respect for a tragic loss of a young life, let's leave it at that.

Those who want to have a pro/con about shark, why don't you start a new thread?

Luc

youknowlenny
08-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Welcome mate. Got it wrong tho. Just look at the studies and research that goes into shark attacks.

Richie

even with all the research...its still an animal. NO ONE knows what gos through a sharks mind before it attacks. Id put money on it that the shark doesn't sit back and study what it is before it attacks, human or not. If it moves its prey. simple as that.

BaitThrower
08-04-2008, 06:45 PM
Poor bugger. And i think killing the shark is over the top. It's mentioned that sharks do not see humans as their natural food source. Why not? We have been swimming around in the ocean for quite some time now. Have a look at the amount of surfers there are in the water every weekend. We are made of meat so why wouldn't they see us as a potential easy meal. Comiserations to the family. Ben

Humans basically dont taste good to sharks. Most sharks prefer fatty or oily diet like big fat seals with high fat content. Humans, even the bigger ones, don't really have a comparable fat ratio in comparison to a seal, or a nice oily fish.

Switch on the discovery channel or animal planet and you will learn lots about shark behaviour. many shark experts are more than happy to swim alongside great whites and many other species now, and not hide in cages. There is much research done into shark feeding behaviours and msot of it proves they are not mindless killers who will just eat whatever they want.

Sharks in general will first make exploratory bites... Like taste testing.. They even do this with most of their preferred meals.. they will seem to play with their victim and take a few nibbles, and if it happens to be one of their natural diet items, they come back and take the rest. Most shark attacks on humans are single bites. The shark rarely will come back for the rest of you. There are very few known shark attacks where the victim could not be located. And none that I know of have ever been caught on film (i.e. complete fatality with no sign of victim).

Occassionally there are mutliple attacks on humans from the same shark. This has been documented in several cases, especially some from the USA where a bull shark has hit multiple victims. One case back in the early 1900's on east coast of USA a bull shark inhabited a river and attacked 3-4 people in a short time frame on the same day. 3 of the victims made it out of the water. Only one was not found. This is a very rare case though.

Mistaken identity. Yep. All the science says this is quite true. But you can believe what you want. You wont make me believe that sharks will attack humans ON PURPOSE just for the sake of it, or even if they are hungry. Obviously in this Ballina case, the shark took an exploratory bite, probably caused a fair bit of tissue damage because they tend to thrash their heads around once they get a grip, and beacuse their teeth are ultra sharp, this easily teras flesh, but the victim was brought back to land. If the shark was a true human killer, his mate , who is extremely brave of course, may have ended up with the same fate.

BaitThrower
08-04-2008, 06:49 PM
even with all the research...its still an animal. NO ONE knows what gos through a sharks mind before it attacks. Id put money on it that the shark doesn't sit back and study what it is before it attacks, human or not. If it moves its prey. simple as that.

yes true, all animals are unpredictable... Heck I know a few humans that are too :P

A shark will bite a human on occassion sure... but you class it as mistaken identity if it doesnt come back and take the rest. Consider also that shark's eyesight is generally not what an optometrist would rave about... They use their sensory organs to detect electrical impulses and scents first and foremost. They dont have hands like we do, so they cant touch something or feel it to determine what it might be, so they, unfortunately, use their mouth as their exploratory tool instead. When you factor in dirty water, well its like running around blindfolded in the dark. What would you do in the dark if you couldn't see what you were doing? Thats right, you instinctively put out your hands to feel your way around. A shark is simply feeling with its mouth when it gets up close.

disorderly
08-04-2008, 07:02 PM
yeah - what a hysteria is created when only 4 people were confirmed killed in 2006 in the whole world by sharks.

sad story - poor young fella...

Finally agree with you on something Mikhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gifhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif.
I think Steven Speilberg has a lot to answer forhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/rolleyes.gif.

Richie

Howdy Richie,

Just the mere fact that so many people escape from shark attacks(although some die later due to shock or blood loss)gives credence to your statement...we are a pretty clumsy creature in the water with almost no defense against such an awesome killing machine as a shark.
If they just wanted to eat us then chances are high that they would...and on a far more regular basis than they do...

welcome mate....however I'd think you must be a little simple yourself to deduce such a theory,whilst shark researchers all over the world find sharks a far more complex animal.....even so you wont find me swimming with great whites anytime soonhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/undecided.gif.

scott

Scott

youknowlenny
08-04-2008, 07:10 PM
we're safe if we swim in clear water and show the shark we are a human not a seal or what have you.. sorry but I think its a load of rubbish. We're food. end of story. Everyone has their own opinions and that is mine

thanks for the welcomes. I look foward to posting some reports

BLOOEY
08-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by youknowlenny http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?p=797623#post797623)
welcome mate....however I'd think you must be a little simple yourself to deduce such a theory,whilst shark researchers all over the world find sharks a far more complex animal.....even so you wont find me swimming with great whites anytime soon:-/.

scott

Scott. Yes they may be a far more complex animal! So why would they not adapt to seeing humans as a food source. Fat or no fat oily or not oily we are an easy meal to them. Ben

BaitThrower
08-04-2008, 07:20 PM
we're safe if we swim in clear water and show the shark we are a human not a seal or what have you.. sorry but I think its a load of rubbish. We're food. end of story. Everyone has their own opinions and that is mine

thanks for the welcomes. I look foward to posting some reports

You are never 100% safe, but you would possibly be *more* safe in clear water than in murky/dirty water. But of course, you might then look like a seal or a turtle in you are on a surfboard or bodyboard etc. Sharks usually attack from behind, and from the bottom of the water. Re my post above, their eyesight is not great, and if you are down deep and you look up in the water column, you tend to see more silhouettes and less actual detail. Hence, they take an exploratory bite first.

No one is saying you are always safe. You are never safe anywhere you go. But for those who say, kill the sharks... well, should we kill all the motorists who kill others on the road every day? Or perhaps the hippos in Africa that kill more people in a year than sharks... or perhaps the irikanji stingers that kills lots of people... The problem with humans is that they have a FEAR of not being on top of the food chain, and a FEAR that they are not in control of their surroundings, and a FEAR of being eaten alive. It is this fear that some and trying to overcome by suggesting we just kill sharks that take a rare bite on a human.

Also, what about the probably hundreds (if not thousands) of times swimmers are in the near vicinity of sharks every day in water and don't know about it. If were were just food to them, we'd have more than a handful of fatal attacks every YEAR. If you have ever swam in the ocean or in a river or whatever, chances are there has been a shark somewhere close to you on more than one occassion.

disorderly
08-04-2008, 07:23 PM
We're food. end of story.

What a foolish statement....what science or experience are you basing such a statement on?....
Shows you have done no snorkelling ,scuba diving,surfing,spearfishing or spent anytime in our oceans.....because by your theory if you have, then you would have encountered sharks and would have been eaten.

Scott

BaitThrower
08-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by youknowlenny http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?p=797623#post797623)
welcome mate....however I'd think you must be a little simple yourself to deduce such a theory,whilst shark researchers all over the world find sharks a far more complex animal.....even so you wont find me swimming with great whites anytime soon:-/.

scott

Scott. Yes they may be a far more complex animal! So why would they not adapt to seeing humans as a food source. Fat or no fat oily or not oily we are an easy meal to them. Ben

Again, they dont like the taste of us! Sure they could adapt if they wanted to, but they don't have to right now because they still have other things they like to eat better. I could have adapted to eating Brussel Sprouts when I was younger, but I didn't :)

dazzisgood
08-04-2008, 07:30 PM
Bait thrower sumed it up

BLOOEY
08-04-2008, 08:02 PM
Seriosly baitthrower you can't possibly compare yourself to a shark mate. You had your brussel sprouts handed to you on a plate with several other tastier morsels to consume. I have seen the doccos also and although they are very interesting you cannot take it as gospel. If you had to fend for yourself in the wild you would not chase down a speeding fish or a seal that could out manouvre you, You would eat your brussel sprouts instead. Ben

BaitThrower
08-04-2008, 08:22 PM
Ive said what I had to say. I'm not going to debate anything more.

peterm
08-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Ive said what I had to say. I'm not going to debate anything more.

And you said it very well BaitThrower ! Summed it up beautifully.

I feel so sorry for that bloke's family, friends and especially the guy who tried to save his mate.

One report I read said the bloke who was attacked didn't say anything while his mate was trying to save him - I would have imagined he would have been freaking out......

I try to minimise the chances of being eaten (or tasted) by things by avoiding going to where they hang out.

eotbmg
08-04-2008, 10:17 PM
I really feel for the young fella, his mates and his family. What ever your take on shark attacks, i will only go in the salt water to about my ankles. They scare the crap out of me, i have caught too many sharks in close to land to realise these things happen. Also when i used to go swimming i seemed to always be looking over my shoulder.
Sorry for all those concerned.
Regards
Ben

reelemin1974
08-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Think of a crocodile compared to a shark. We are DEFINITELY a good meal for a croc.

Do you think if people swam in crocs enviro every day there wouldn't be plenty of people killed every day? of course they would.

yet, you think of how many people are swimming every second of the day around the world, in the oceans and rivers, and compare this to how many people are actually attacked by sharks and this will show you that sharks are not really interested in us as a meal. I haven't seen too many swim with the crocs doco's yet, theres a money spinner!!

I live in Ballina, and I do not swim in the ocean. outside chance, but still a chance!!

ashh
09-04-2008, 08:29 AM
That is the reason there are many attacks but not as many deaths from shark attack. They bite and release once they know we arent what they eat, most shark related death is allmost allways due to massive loss of blood, shock or drowning. NOT being ripped to pieces and eaten up like in jaws.

Watch this vid and you will see two massive white pointers attack this surfer. If they really wanted to eat him, he would not have made it back to shore.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw9qMZSuE9k

gogetter
09-04-2008, 08:30 AM
10 to 1 it was a bully..... dirty water , river mounth etc.......

well, looks like a bully they are saying...

JEWIENEWIE
09-04-2008, 09:34 AM
I haved stayed away frm this threaed but some comments...........
Sharks dont have hands, they feel with thee teeth. I believe they first take a sample bite of what they are investigating, if they like what they taste, they come back. This shark took a sample bite, and it wasnt what it is familiar with and left. These animals are top of the food chain, if it liked eating humans it would have come back for more, neither himself or his mate ,who without feaaring for his own life, would not have made it back to shore.
My thought go out to the family involved.
We know people drink drive but do we stop driving on the roads.
Jewie

PinHead
09-04-2008, 03:19 PM
RIP to the young bloke..a tragic loss.

Human Deaths in Australia Between 1980-1990, Inclusive (from Stevens & Paxton, 1992)

Cause of Death

Total Deaths

Average per year

Crocodile Attacks
Shark Attacks
Lightning Strikes
Bee Stings
Scuba Diving Accidents
Drownings/Submersions
Motor Vehicle Accidents

don't go outside people..more chance of dying of a bee sting than a shark attack.

fish2death
09-04-2008, 03:42 PM
Have lost a few good jewies to sharks whilst luring on the Ballina south wall this year the most recent over the Easter break :-[

richieboy
09-04-2008, 04:47 PM

Mate there is no need for them to adapt to see us a natural food source. Until the world's fish supplioes dwindle I doubt humans are actively hunted as prey.
Your statement says it all. Surfers everywhere in the ocean for years.
Why then havn't there been more deaths due to feeding sharks that are documented or known about.
Statistics aren't on a major incline when it comes to shark attacks and surfers/swimmers. There is your answer.
Cheers,

Rich :)

Didley
09-04-2008, 05:04 PM
RIP to the young bloke..a tragic loss.

Human Deaths in Australia Between 1980-1990, Inclusive (from Stevens & Paxton, 1992)

Cause of Death

Total Deaths

Average per year

Crocodile Attacks
Shark Attacks
Lightning Strikes
Bee Stings
Scuba Diving Accidents
Drownings/Submersions
Motor Vehicle Accidents

don't go outside people..more chance of dying of a bee sting than a shark attack.

Well put Pin head, but the shark attacks make better news storys

nigelr
09-04-2008, 05:31 PM
A terrible tragedy for the young man, his incredibly brave mate, his family, and all his friends and aquaintances, my family and I extend our most sincere sympathy to them all.
As a surfer for 40 years, and a spearfisher for a similar time, when you enter the ocean you take the risk of shark attack.
Unfortunately this young man was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
If anything positive could come out of this tragedy, it would be a heightened awareness amongst ocean users of the increased danger of a similar incident under similar circumstances.
North Wall is immediately adjacent to the Ballina breakwall, there has been a lot of rainfall in the catchment, the resulting run-off exiting the river creating an enviroment where the likelyhood of sharks being present is considerably enhanced.
Sad as I am to say it, IMHO the young lads should not have put themselves at risk.
Hunting down the offending shark will acheive little, there are plenty of others out there.

mod5
09-04-2008, 05:40 PM
For goodness sake have some respect for the lad and his family. All this bickering is just plain stupid in the circumstances.