PDA

View Full Version : Roonies Pt

wayneoro
08-04-2008, 08:24 AM
WENT LAST WK AND WK BEFORE CATCH was mostly parrot sweetlip scarlet perch etc 1st trip it was flat . 2nd wind didnt drop as predicted till it was time to go home and being couple days before new moon currant very fast could not get on a mark or get reef anchor to hold but still managed a few which included a just legal red . its 30 odd miles from walkers pt to good fishing off roonies then 4-5 miles to shelter 4 the nite by fraser

Frank OO
08-04-2008, 08:30 AM
Hi Wayneoro,

Roonies is a massive trip from Urangan. I have only fished it once but I can't get over the fact that there is no structure. The ocean floor is made up of gravel or shell deposits as far as I can see. This makes it really hard to locate unless you have local knowledge.

Good work for getting out there mate. I sometimes wonder if it is worth the $250.00 in petrol.

Frank OO

wayneoro
08-04-2008, 09:08 AM
bit tough for a day trip mate i sleep over . my fuel bill now is under 200 . yes it is flat country . shelter against fraser is handy or u can run down to watumba lagoon my old glassie has a full size cabin so its easy for me

Frank OO
08-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Sounds like you know what you are doing. Good work mate. I noticed you are from Woodgate. I hope to be goint to Burnett Heads on 16 May for three days to fish the Southern Gutter and the Artifical Reef.

Why would you go to Roonies when there is so much great fishing right next door to you? or is the Southern Gutter over rated..?

Frank OO

skipalong
08-04-2008, 05:19 PM
hey fellas is good fishing up there and is well worth the effort if it is calm, did a trip up there at the start of the year and there is some good ledges and bump to be found nw of roonies fished very well

wayneoro
09-04-2008, 09:21 AM
gee mate there is 0 on the artie southern gutters are just as far with less fish mostly the wide fishermen from here drive to burnett heads fish 16deg etc cheers

Cheech
09-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Yep, certainly not a cheap excercise. I was up there a couple of weeks ago and when I filled the boat tank on the return it cost me $200.00. Plus nearly $200.00 in fuel in the 4by to get there and back. Then another 60.00 in bait,,,,

But I love going up there. We fish the evening and then anchour up at Fraser for the night. Same type trip as you do. Yet to get a legal red though.

Cheech

larfin
09-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Geat to see you gettng a few wayneroo.I have got the new boat sorted might have to try and get up your way for a trip.
cheers
greg

Spot82
11-04-2008, 09:55 PM
bit tough for a day trip mate i sleep over . my fuel bill now is under 200 . yes it is flat country . shelter against fraser is handy or u can run down to watumba lagoon my old glassie has a full size cabin so its easy for me

Do you guys head straight up wide from urangan? Last trip we used only bout 100L to Rooneys and back in 625 Outsider with 175 Evinrude, left urangan at 3am returned home at 6pm same day with esky full of fish. Its about 120km if you go wide up and back if its flat, if you follow fraser its a lot longer trip, lot smoother if its a bit choppy from NE to SE tho.

Rooneys ground is very flat and you need a very good sounder, lots of coffee rock which looks flat on most sounders, actually big holes and caves in it. Just look for very small changes in bottom, with a good sounder you'll see the fish holding on those bumps very close to the bottom. As chong said you have to be right on the mark to and if you swing around on the anchor pays to re-anchor to get back on the mark.

I lived in the bay for 17yrs from when i was born, oldies just moved back up there after living at goldy/bris for 6yrs so its good to be heading back up to rooneys, so many good memories fishing up there as a kid. All goes to plan might head out sunday nite for another trip, the drive from the goldy to the bay is a killer tho.

Frank OO
13-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Thanks for all the information. I might have to get some better marks and give it another go.

Frank OO