PDA

View Full Version : Ideal boating weather

johnny roger
08-04-2008, 06:24 AM
In a 4 meter runabout, what would be the ideal conditions for boating...besides like a lake.
wind, sea, and swell conditions.

mik01
08-04-2008, 07:24 AM
where are you talking about mate?
depends how comfortable you want to be too!

as a rule, in my 5.2m half cab, i won't go out if seabreeze says 15-20knts+ as its just too hard to anchor while you get smashed by wind and swell.

but I know others who don't care.
in the bay, i prefer 10-15knts or less and swell around 1m or less (give or take). if the wind is right down, i don't care about the swell so much.

johnny roger
08-04-2008, 08:01 AM
where are you talking about mate?
depends how comfortable you want to be too!

as a rule, in my 5.2m half cab, i won't go out if seabreeze says 15-20knts+ as its just too hard to anchor while you get smashed by wind and swell.

but I know others who don't care.
in the bay, i prefer 10-15knts or less and swell around 1m or less (give or take). if the wind is right down, i don't care about the swell so much.
Gday Mik,

I am talking about in the areas of cairns, port douglas, and cardwell. these are places up in FNQ. I'm like you mate i dont care about the swell, as long at the wind is down.
i guess i am a fair weather boaty as i think i would prefer 0-10 knot winds.
What part of the world are you in?
John

FNQCairns
08-04-2008, 08:02 AM
4.8m up here it's a lot like moreton bay how the water behaves, but still 5.2 is better again and 8m is just perfect:)

I have seen 13 foot tillers out 40km at the reef in 10/15kn variable which is fine just a very bumpy, wet and rough ride home I am no longer interested in being this uncomfortable in a boat.

A 5.2 pressed tinny could be considered an an allrounder up here from my perspective but many do ok picking their days in wide body 4.5 tinnys, it's up to the bloke, what scares one may not scare another but the comfort factor is ultimately what will decide how many trips you decide to make the wind up here is relentless!!! swell is a non event until well onto the reef.

cheers fnq

FNQCairns
08-04-2008, 08:12 AM
Ooops to answer your Q, in a 4m around 5 to 10kn variable.

cheers fnq

johnny roger
08-04-2008, 08:29 AM
thanks for that FNQ.
John

FNQCairns
08-04-2008, 08:48 AM
No problem but I used your term "ideal" and replaced with 'still comfortable enough', 4.5m - 7 to 12kn, 5.2 - 12 to 17kn we have a fair bit of flow in the water up here and a lot of fetch for the wind to shape waves.

What sort of fishing are you interested in? a breakdown of the fishing types and how much you would like to fish each will go a long way toward the min boat length worth purchasing.

If the reef is not of interest then the length of boat decreases for minumum comfort by .5m or even 1m depending.

cheers fnq

johnny roger
08-04-2008, 09:08 AM
well i am a bit of a newby mate, so my kind of fishing would probably be somewhere sheltered at the moment, so in the estuarys of port douglas or somewhere like that.
i am looking at a 4 M + as my second boat. my first boat was a disaster, only had it 3 months, and found out it had holes in it the 1st week i had it. so i've had it with second hand things, especially from private sellers.
going to go brand new from now on. unless there is a near new in a boat yard with all the hull paper work etc.
John

mik01
08-04-2008, 10:43 AM
well i am a bit of a newby mate, so my kind of fishing would probably be somewhere sheltered at the moment, so in the estuarys of port douglas or somewhere like that.
i am looking at a 4 M + as my second boat. my first boat was a disaster, only had it 3 months, and found out it had holes in it the 1st week i had it. so i've had it with second hand things, especially from private sellers.
going to go brand new from now on. unless there is a near new in a boat yard with all the hull paper work etc.
John

i fish moreton bay.

mate - don't discount second hand boats because of 1 bad experience!!
Its a bit of a buyer's market at the moment and you should be able to get a good quality rig for a great price going private - you just have to be aware of the pitfalls.

if you're not aware of what to look for and not confident, pay a couple of hundred and get a mobile marine mechanic or engineer to go over your prospective purchase. better yet, if you can haul the boat to a mechanic and have a thorough going over it will be the best investment you will ever make.

when you find 'the' boat and negotiate price, then make it subject to a satisfactory inspection. any problems with it means you can walk away or negotiate further if you are prepared to take it with the issues.

FNQ or the other northern guys should be able to put you on to a reputable marine mechanic who can not only look at the outboard, but also test the soundness of the hull, transom and stringers etc...

cheers,
Mick

johnny roger
08-04-2008, 11:11 AM
Mik,

Thanks very much for your valuable information. You don't know just how valuable it actually is to a 'newby'. (is there another name for new boaties??)
John

disorderly
08-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Isn't anyone going to warn him about the dreaded 2 foot chop?http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif

Seriously mate.
I wouldn't venture to the reef in a 4 metre boat at least until you get some experience with the sea's and weather....It can be as smooth as a babies bum on the trip out but when a stiff breeze or front hits it can get a bit ugly...particularly when you get out into the open water of the shipping channel.
Initially listen to the above advise and look for periods of no more than 5-10 knots and try the closer in islands and wrecks and reefs.

BTW where are you based?

Scott

johnny roger
08-04-2008, 12:09 PM
Disorderly,
No, i wouldn't go out to the reef anyway. not until i get used to boating etc. Like i say, i am only going to be trying my hand at the estuarys near port douglas, or a little further north.
Im from the Atherton Tablelands, so probably the main function of the boat i buy will be fresh water fishing in Tinaroo, pulling tubes, and redclaw, and camping. with the odd trip to the coast.
John

Outsider1
08-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Love your Avatar hood ornament there Johnny!;D;D

Cheers

Dave

johnny roger
08-04-2008, 12:25 PM
hey outsider1,
yeah not bad eh? believe it or not, my son and his class found him while on a school camp! apparently he was already dead...so he tells me, which is what the teacher told him.

coucho
08-04-2008, 12:46 PM
Johny in a 4+m boat in an esturuay system like the Hinchinbrook channels at cardwel the only thing you really need to look out for is a cyclone.
I have been caught in a 40 knot southerly in my 4.4m brooker with a 15hp motor on it in the open ocean before made for a very long sometimes scarey ride home but she made it. Main thing is if it does happen if you do get caught out don't panic keep your head about you and without rushing it which is even more dangerous make your way home quicly as you can. you will learn to read the local weather better as your boaing career continues what to look out for etc until you do just don't overcomit yourself beyond your abiity.

johnny roger
08-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Thanks coucho. thats pretty good advise. what made you go out all that way with just a 15 in a 4.5 M boat?
John

coucho
08-04-2008, 01:22 PM
I do it all the time. Its my boat. Engine is reliable and the boat is sound just a bit narrow and low around the stern. I also live on the north coast NSW not up there was 6 mile trip and took two hours my own fault I never checked a weather report or I wouldn't of gone.

gogetter
08-04-2008, 03:01 PM
i have a 11.5 foot quinny lenghten with a bow rail and alloy splash guard and now its 13 foot. put a centre console in her. have a 20hp yamaha tiller with a long handle so i can stand up.

been out when the weather is 5 to 10knot and had to come back through 25knot winds. it handles it as long as you don't mind getting wet. admittingly i'm only hanging around the whitsunday islands....

FNQCairns
08-04-2008, 06:02 PM
What about a 4.2 Quintrex Dory (or equivalent)with a 30hp 3cyl Yam (or equivalent)? Sounds right up your alley.

But tubing may suffer a little with the max hp typical 4.2m tiller tinnys are rated at, a basic 4.4/5 may suit you better overall but the price can jump by 1.7 over say a 4.2 once a couple of options are added.

Secondhand sounds real good to me in this size range often new players decide very early they bought too small and trade up.

cheers fnq

johnny roger
08-04-2008, 09:17 PM
thanks FNQ.

johnny roger
08-04-2008, 09:19 PM
thanks FNQ. i was thinking along the lines of a 4-4.5 anyhow.
John

datamile
08-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Anything other 1m swell is a nightmare in mine. 0.7 and under is ok.

Been a bad couple of months for decent weekend weather in the bay :(