PDA

View Full Version : Trebles

pommy
07-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Greetings all!

I've now made about 25 jewie lures and a dozen tailor poppers. All have VMC trebles.

I used these because I was told that their quality is excellent. I don't doubt that.

The question is.... if I'm fishing with 20 or 25lb line is the pressure/force on a treble likely to be enough (from the way a jew or tailor fights) to bend the cheaper trebles (50c each from local bait shop) out of shape?

If I'm using 30lb line or stronger or 30 or 50lb braid the force could/might bend them. Is it likely to do this on lower breaking strain line where you've got to let them run.

Thanks, Rob.
(A jewie and big tailor beginner.)
Ballina

PS For those of you who say that a dollar or two is neither here nor there, I've bought $75 worth of trebles and a saving of $20-30 would be quite impressive to the missus!

BARRAkid
07-04-2008, 10:13 PM
i don't think so if its lighter line and your not using as much pressure they shouldn't bend unless they bend really easy with 30lb or 50lb.
Use owner haven't bent one yet on barra and even the doctors have to use bolt cutters.
Cheers BK

oddbudman
07-04-2008, 10:51 PM
Even if the cheap ones don't bend on the fish - they might bend when you get the pliers out to remove the treble from the fish you catch. Cheap trebles are also more likely to rust and become weak then better quality trebles.

Stick with the VMC or other high quality tackle - Poor man pays twice.

oddbudman

NAGG
08-04-2008, 07:35 AM
Stick with the VMCs .... In 6X your target species (jew & Tailor) wont be a drama ( even on 30-50lb line) ....... Its not so much the pressure put through the line , more so the jaw pressure than can be applied by such fish as a Barra , Kingfish , Samson , dogtooth etc
Best of luck with your lure building

Nagg