PDA

View Full Version : Show Us Your Aquarium Fish....Past & Present

Pages : [1] 2

Cammy
07-04-2008, 03:13 PM
Hey Guys/Gals

Thought i would start an Aquarium thread, since alot of members have Aqauriums.;D

Pretty much just post pics of the tank and fishys and tell us what they are and where you got them and how long you have had them for.
You can post pics of the fish you have had in the past to the present time.

So get posting!

i'll start.

The first pics are of my barramundi that i used to have, 59 and 67cm. Had them for bout 14 months, until they went to there nice new big home at underwater world. I got them at my work.

Second pics are of my Saratoga (jardini) his names TOGA! got him at 25cm now hes about 35-37cm, i also got him at my work last june.
he is in a 6ft x 24inch x 28inch High Tank, almost 800L. there is also a 35cm spotted longfin eel in there somewhere under the gravel.

And the other pics are just my other tanks. the 3ft planted tank has got alot of juvinile fish, 1 archer 2 sand gobys 2 clown loaches 2 spangled gudgeons 2 bass 6 small scats 3 bream 2 bullrout 3 plecostumus (sailfin) 1 black lancer catfish 1 crazyfish (butis butis) and 2 10cm blue claw crayfish. i have collected these fish over a period of 6 months.

And theres a pic of my freshwater Sole/Flounder.

have previously owned, Silver perch,Seepy cod, Small sth american rams, most of the tropical fish (tetras,corys),crabs, peacock eels, elephant noses and more.
im also getting 3 jungle perch next week!

Cammo

Cammy
07-04-2008, 03:28 PM
just some more pics

BARRAkid
07-04-2008, 04:06 PM
nice fish mate ;)
I use to have a barra and it died at 44cm long a few weeks back and in the background off my tank you can see where the water from when the barra use to splash when eating and has wrecked the photos.::)
Now i have 2 archer fish (5cm),1 aussie bass (12cm),1 eel tail cattie(15cm),7 barra (5cm),2 bristlenose (10cm) and another small catfish my tank is 4x18x24 and is still getting plants and logs and stuff for it.;D
i couldn't get any good pics cause most fish are hiding8-)
Cheers BK

BARRAkid
07-04-2008, 04:09 PM
oww and here is a pic of my old barra at about 40cm :'(
Cheers BK

Little grey men
07-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Awesome fish Cammy, you sure have an impressive collection.
Heres my tank that I built a few years ago. Full of standard type fish...Cichlids clown loaches, bristle nose catties. Big piece of avacodo wood in there giving the water that tannun. Nothing terribly exciting. You can usually see a lot more fish, but when my naughty little princess approaches they duck for cover.

Cammy
07-04-2008, 04:21 PM
nice fish there mate! sorry about the barra a mate of mine and a member of this site just lost his 35cm one.

i also have a breeding pair of bristlenose. i cant wait til my fish get bigger, cause im getting a fish room where im gonna have 3 tnks,
i have got in mind 2x 4ftx2ftx2ft and another 6ftx24x28 H. and thats where they will grow up

Cammo

BARRAkid
07-04-2008, 04:26 PM
sounds good mate
One off my mates has 2 ten foot tanks one with 3 big bristlenose and 2 barra about 65cm lol
And the other tank is his mums and it has 5 large oscars in it.

Cammy
07-04-2008, 04:27 PM
i love that stand LGM is so nice with the bamboo doors and the stain, seriously one of the best i have seen! i dont mind the tannun either, as i have tannun in one of my tanks, i recon it improves the look of the tank. Anyfish is good mate;)

thnx for posting

Cammo

Cammy
07-04-2008, 04:48 PM
nice big tanks there, 10 ft gee wouldnt mind one of them lol

Cammo

bdowdy
07-04-2008, 07:49 PM
well ive got 7 tanks going at the moment,,, but ive got everything from goldfish ,fighting fish, angels,bristle nose catfish,whip tailed catfish, axolotils,loaches the list goes on but my favorites are my red tiger oscar and my barra,,, have had bass and sleepy cod ,murry cod with both the barra and oscar and they were food for them PIGS so now they both have there own tanks,heres a few piccys...cheers bdowdy..brettsum

Cammy
08-04-2008, 12:19 AM
nice oscar man, i love his red markings. how big did the barra go?

Cammo

bdowdy
08-04-2008, 08:32 AM
hi cammy the oscar ive had since it was 10cm now hes in the 30,s the barra was also about 10cm when i got him and is about 40 odd cm, love hand feeding both of these fellas,the trouble is the oscar bites and draws blood, the barra wets everything in site surface boofing.... ive had so many fish, im lucky as the wife works at a pet shop...next i want a sooty grunter, some archers, FISH are so relaxing and let you know when its time to go FISHING... CHEERS bdowdy..brett.P.S LOVE YOUR TOGA NICE FISH

Deestingray
08-04-2008, 10:34 AM
These are some of my fish, I keep them in a 4ft tank.
I am into south american cichlids, mainly concentrating on one family known as the eartheaters.
I currently have 2x Satanoperca Leucosticta, 2x Geophagus Surninamensis, 3x Geophagus Rio Pindare, 2x Clown loaches, 1 X Sailfin Pleco, 1x silver shark, 3 x congo tetras and an empire gudgeon.
Have had most of these fish for about 3 years, one of the clown loaches is around 7 years old.
I don't have a picture of the tank on this computer, will post up at a later date if anybody is interested.

Cammy
08-04-2008, 12:59 PM
hi cammy the oscar ive had since it was 10cm now hes in the 30,s the barra was also about 10cm when i got him and is about 40 odd cm, love hand feeding both of these fellas,the trouble is the oscar bites and draws blood, the barra wets everything in site surface boofing.... ive had so many fish, im lucky as the wife works at a pet shop...next i want a sooty grunter, some archers, FISH are so relaxing and let you know when its time to go FISHING... CHEERS bdowdy..brett.P.S LOVE YOUR TOGA NICE FISH

nice sizes on those fish mate, barras are awsome to feed aye water everywhere. I used ot stick my finger in the tank just to stir the barras up when they were hungry, and they would absolutly smash my fingers! and engulf em down,
luckily it doesnt hurt lol:P

which petshop does your wife work at?

sooty grunters, i had one of these planned for my next tank, but i decided not to as i wanted to get archers and bass and since the sooty cant really go in with any other fish i thought i would wait. But im still gonna get one later on down the track, also a coal grunter is another one of my favorite grunters!

that comment about fish making you ralaxed, is so TRUE.

Cammo

Dr_Dan
08-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Love the barra in the tanks.
Hoping to get one set up in the not too distant future.
Can't go past a real nice marine tank without stopping for a look tho...........

loophole
08-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Hey great thread Cam.

I'm gunna start off with my tanks first, at the moment i have two tanks up and running first off my 6ftx2ftx2ft whish is my Aus Natives setup which is currently home to 1 Aussie bass, 4 scats, 1 bream and 2 crayfish. I have more fish to be added to this.

My second tank is my 4ftx1.5ftx1.5ft which is my chiclid setup basicly just 2 red devils and 4 brasilians I also have 1 bristlenose in there.

I also attached some pics of my barra which i used to have untill about 2 weeks ago.:'( R.I.P... I had him since he was fingerling size and at 8 months old he measured 35cm.

I enjoy keeping fish even more so my Aus natives..

EDIT

Ok i got my pics up and running, with the help of ~~ Cammy the Legend~~!!!!! (lol i had to mate);D:P

Cammy
08-04-2008, 01:36 PM
These are some of my fish, I keep them in a 4ft tank.
I am into south american cichlids, mainly concentrating on one family known as the eartheaters.
I currently have 2x Satanoperca Leucosticta, 2x Geophagus Surninamensis, 3x Geophagus Rio Pindare, 2x Clown loaches, 1 X Sailfin Pleco, 1x silver shark, 3 x congo tetras and an empire gudgeon.
Have had most of these fish for about 3 years, one of the clown loaches is around 7 years old.
I don't have a picture of the tank on this computer, will post up at a later date if anybody is interested.

All very nice fish there mate.

Now your clown loach i think that is very rare patterning on the fish, i have never seen one like it:o :o , they are known as "oddballs". Anyway im making a thread on an aquarium site and showing the picture of your loach to see if its rare or not, but im pretty sure it's rare. They must be a decent size to, would you be able to get more pics of those loaches plz im very interested and also the full tank shots.

EDIT

ok mate i just had 8 ppl look at my thread and 8 ppl replie saying they have never seen this patterning in there life, and this is coming from members and moderators. so it looks liek you have an extremly RARE loach in your hands no joke, look after him reallly good, and if you ever sell him, it is worth what ever price tag you put on him.;D very nice loach man, feel proud.

here i will give you the link of the site to check it out.http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135590 (http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135590)

EDIT #2

Well it looks likt its old age petterning, unless he had the same patterning when you bought him? but still a nice fish mate!

Cammo

bdowdy
08-04-2008, 03:04 PM
hi cammo just a little country town pet shop, but its all good went to pet expo last year in brisbane ,was awesome, get some awesome discounts being in the pet trade....cheers bdowdy.brett

Cammy
08-04-2008, 03:37 PM
hi cammo just a little country town pet shop, but its all good went to pet expo last year in brisbane ,was awesome, get some awesome discounts being in the pet trade....cheers bdowdy.brett

i hear ya mate, next time you go to the expo , look for Brisbane Pet Super Store, we usually have a setup there for viewing and selling.

does your shop have a setup there? if it does i'll have a look for it, whats the name?

Cammo

Deestingray
08-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Hey cammy, didn't mean to alarm you, thanks for the verification though, nice to see I have one that is a bit different. I would probably agree with the fact that my cl is pretty old, he/she is actually the oldest fish I have and I bought it at about 6cm back in 2001. It is now about 20cm plus, a big one, but seems to have stopped growing. I definitely do like the patterns and have some more photos at home on my other machine, I will post them later on.
Mark at Smiths Aquarium has a big one with a smiley face on the side. I am not kidding either and it is quite vivid.

Cammy
08-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Hey cammy, didn't mean to alarm you, thanks for the verification though, nice to see I have one that is a bit different. I would probably agree with the fact that my cl is pretty old, he/she is actually the oldest fish I have and I bought it at about 6cm back in 2001. It is now about 20cm plus, a big one, but seems to have stopped growing. I definitely do like the patterns and have some more photos at home on my other machine, I will post them later on.
Mark at Smiths Aquarium has a big one with a smiley face on the side. I am not kidding either and it is quite vivid.

lol i just never seen one like that before, yer CL's grow then slow down alot, but they are slow growers anyway, and live for a while. Nice size one to mate;) , i think max size is 40cm.

Cammo

Horse
08-04-2008, 04:52 PM
All of my tanks are empty at the moment but I think I will look at setting one up again. My last tank was a mixed reef/fish setup. I "found" all of the corals and live rock locally. The system operated with minimal fuss for nearly two years before a heatwave when we were away caused a major collapse:'( .

bungie
08-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Here is my Barramundi from just over a year back, Had a 6x2x2 tank in the lounge

QPaK_MG8fwo&hl

Cammy
08-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Nice tank there horse, and that sponge is it? looks realy nice!

shoulda put the cat in the tank see what happens ,,,:P nice healthy barra there mate

bdowdy
08-04-2008, 05:36 PM
i hear ya mate, next time you go to the expo , look for Brisbane Pet Super Store, we usually have a setup there for viewing and selling.

does your shop have a setup there? if it does i'll have a look for it, whats the name?

Cammo no mate we just look for new and interresting fish and gear.. cheers bdowdy..brett

mikooh
08-04-2008, 06:09 PM
This is my Murray Cod, Marlin. Had him about 15 months and he has grown from 5cm to about 30cm.

Mick

bdowdy
08-04-2008, 07:06 PM
nice little cod mick there great fish, have you got your tank heated as i had murry cod and heated the tank WOW did he eat and grow so fast. cheers bdowdy..brett

Fish_gutz
08-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Hers a few pics of my old jack which carked it when i went away on a fishing trip and got a bug. nearly had him right after some treatment and a good salting of the tank but succumbed to the same illness a month or so later. i was shattered:'( and now have goldfish in the tank. Cheers Andrew

cbs
08-04-2008, 08:42 PM
A couple of mine from my 6x2x2 reef.... Oscellaris Clowns, Emperor Angel (juvi - changing) and Blue Tang. Enjoy.

mikooh
08-04-2008, 09:06 PM
nice little cod mick there great fish, have you got your tank heated as i had murry cod and heated the tank WOW did he eat and grow so fast. cheers bdowdy..brett

Hi Brett,

I did heat his tank last winter to try and accelerate his growth, but this year I will let him tough it out so he doesn't keep the growth spurt up! he's almost outgrown his 3ft tank now & he's eating 3-4 8cm yabbies a week.

I guess I will need to source a 6x2x2 tank soon, does anyone has one they want to get rid of?

Mick

Deestingray
08-04-2008, 09:33 PM
As promised, pics of my tank and another couple of my loachy. You will notice that the gravel is all over the place, that is due to the eartheathers, hence the name. They sift the gravel for food. The pleco has done most of the other trashing, most of that wood was standing up.
I am starting to feel like a little f'n worm on a big f'n hook with all of these big bad boys coming out of the woodwork. Anyway hope you enjoy.....

Cammy
08-04-2008, 10:49 PM
nice tank deestingray, especially the gravel, i love the black and white mixture but more os the black.

Also some top notch looking marine life.

And that jack how big did he go?

Cammo

Fish_gutz
09-04-2008, 07:59 AM
the jack was 36cm when he passed away cammy

kingtin
09-04-2008, 08:37 AM
Cammy, Deestingray, that clown does look unusual. I have 2 younger ones and 5 that I've had for 10 yrs now and they look good for another 10. I found it nigh on impossible to get one to live longer than 2 yrs in the UK and I concentrated on 'em here, because they've always been a favourite of mine. I let them down with the water changes though, so they aren't as big as I could've got 'em to be, although a couple do run to 15cm.

I was over the moon with one of them as one of it's stripes stopped halfway down it's flank...............in effect, it was more like a spot than a stripe. I thought it was really rare as I have kept fish for 30 yrs and spent 8 of those in the trade and had never seen one like that. Anyways, when they got to about 8 yrs old I thought, "I better get a few more 'cause they seem so much happier in groups of 5 or more, and if a couple die, the new ones will replace 'em". I got home from Smiths and dropped the two littlies in the tank.............and one of 'em was marked exactly the same as my "rarity"! ::) ;D They say by the laws of mathematics that somewhere in the world, there should be someone who looks just like you.........must apply to fish as well ;D

kev

Deestingray
09-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Hey kingtin,

I too have been keeping fish for a number of years, and all of the loaches that I have ever had have all been different in some way or another. I used to have one that moved the bars as it grew, the fins were a bright red when I got it, and as it got older, the black bars gradually engulfed them and left a red hook of colour on it's anal fin. As a fish though, they rock!!! Early on, the amount of times I would come home and find the big one lying upside down, suspended and not moving used to make my heart jump, it really is a tripper.
As for the water, I have heard that they are pretty happy in high alkaline hard water for africans, however I like to keep mine slightly acidic and soft as I believe it is closer to where they come from in Indo.
Did you know that like a lot of freshwater fish, there are slight differences from the area that they come from. I found this link a while back that is quite informative, hope it helps...
http://www.wetpetz.com/clownloach.htm

reidy
09-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Good day,
Dont have any left.
Used all my goldfish in Tassies Lake Cresent as livies a few years back.LOL::)
Cheers
Reidy

BrandonH
09-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Some great tanks here!! Will have to look into posting a pic's of my 2 tanks..

Cheers
Brandon...

kingtin
09-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Hey kingtin,

Did you know that like a lot of freshwater fish, there are slight differences from the area that they come from. I found this link a while back that is quite informative, hope it helps...
http://www.wetpetz.com/clownloach.htm

Thanks for that. Mate, when I first came to Oz, I had a community tank. The first year I lost the lot in the heat wave, and the 2nd year, the same. I find the clown loach will tolerate temperatures far above what they supposedly do, and more so than most fish. I have comets and a yellowbelly in with them and they survive any amount of heat, without me having to cool the tank.

I also have a fair bit of wood and bark in there, and the water is coloured with tannin so I'm sure that it is fairly acidic, though I haven't tested it. They are, what they are called,..........clowns ;D If they lie on their side or back, and look like they're dying, then you're assured that they're alright ::) ;D

I'm itching to try my new IS lens which means I can hand hold the camera as low as 1/10sec so I'll try and get some pics later (I hate flash).

kev

Cammy
09-04-2008, 02:01 PM
heres a bit of info on differnt markings loaches can have. LOACH MARKINGS (http://www.loaches.com/articles/clown-loach-coloration-marking-variations)

I recon its rare to get a loach with the "jigsaw" appearence, as i have never seen one in real life.

at work we have a decent size loach with spots in between his lines.

Cammo

kingtin
09-04-2008, 05:03 PM
OK, here's the loach. The camera is hand held at 1/8 sec, so they aren't as sharp as they shoul;d be. That said, the new IS lenses are brilliant if the subject isn't moving.

This is the big feller, 10yr old with an upside down saddle. Notice the white banding around the black.........this comes and goes with his mood

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/bidkev/Portfolio/boat%20rally/3.jpg

Him again

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/bidkev/Portfolio/boat%20rally/1.jpg

Smaller feller with saddle

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/bidkev/Portfolio/boat%20rally/2.jpg

6 of 'em with the little feller with the saddle at top

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/bidkev/Portfolio/boat%20rally/4.jpg

Little feller again. The yellowbelly is at the top.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/bidkev/Portfolio/boat%20rally/5.jpg

Paradoxx
09-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Here is my tank, I'm almost too embarssed too post a pic because its so dirty at the moment! People love too rub there fingers on the glass so jack has a go!,

its a 6x2.5x2
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e296/i8ian4t/IMG_4351.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e296/i8ian4t/IMG_4334.jpg
'tank mates are a mangrove jack, Jardini? saratoga, and a sail fin plecco! :)
*edit* oh and 'lunch' He's a potty mullet,
Fun fish too own!

loophole
09-04-2008, 05:36 PM
nice jack there how old is he?

bdowdy
09-04-2008, 06:42 PM
nice tank, nice fish, paradoxx thanks for showing ..those 2 would be great viewing when feed time . cheers bdowdy..brett

Cammy
09-04-2008, 07:12 PM
do the jack and toga have a go at each other by anychance? havent seen that mix before.
Nice Jardini Mate;)

hmm your giving me ideas here lol i must resist!

Cammo

ffejsmada
09-04-2008, 08:17 PM
I used to keep and breed a fantastic collection of Rainbows, Australian and New Guinea, until I come home from an outing one day and my tank had cracked!:'(:'( Very upset.

Now, I've got a 3' tank with a Saratoga about 15cm long. His tank buddies are some Rainbows, Glassy Perchlets, Hardyheads, Firetail and Purple spotted Gudgeons and a lone Bass about 4cm long. (just purchased him)

All the natives beside the Saratoga and the Bass have been caught out of my little local creek.

Can't wait until I have to buy a 6' tank to house Sara and the Bass!

Cheers Jeff.

kingtin
09-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Jeff, I know they're surface feeders but, I reckon you'll wake up one morning and that little fishy down the bottom will be gone. :o

kev

Cammy
09-04-2008, 08:33 PM
i was wandering when you would see this thread lol.

yay i get to see pics of your toga and setup, very nice man, your togas gonna have very nice red colouring, just by looking at the pic of it at such a young age they are already a vivid red. Nice mate!

i just got some bass aswell, i got 2 but one was sick so hes in the med tank.

Cammo

Rob128
09-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Hi,

We have a few marine fish which has been going good for 18 months now. we do / did have Nemo, Marlin and Dory - there's a few however's;

1) Dory grew too large too quick so we swapped her for an Dwarf Angel who's stayed smallish and settled in..

2) Nemo and Marlin had kids, or keep having kids (none have survived) although to ensure my Son grows up normal, as Nemo and Marlin are depicted as father and son we actually have Nemo and his Wife....

3) Nemo and Marlin have become protective of their environment so bite me when I clean the tank. I just wish their friends in the bay would bite my bl--dy lines....

Paradoxx
09-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Gidday :) Thanks for the kind words, The tank isnt as grubby as it looks, I'll have too give it a clean and have a sit down with the camera one night,

I'm not sure how old the jack is, Ive had him for about a year now, And he was 6-8 months old when we got him, Same with sara the saratoga,

They were brought up together when they were under 2" long and in a 12foot tank, Aparently thats why they dont fight, I originaly just wanted the jack, But the chap i got them off wouldnt sell one with out the other because it was a 'first' for him too see them both together in the tank, I had a 6" mary river cod, But he didnt last the night,

They dont fight _much_ but sara is definatly the boss!! Untill live food is in the tank! If you dump 10 gold fish, Jack gets 9, 8 if he's slow!, EVIL! fish, Expencive 40 secounds! I've just started feeding them potty mullet and hardy heads! They love them!!!

Cammy
09-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Gidday :) Thanks for the kind words, The tank isnt as grubby as it looks, I'll have too give it a clean and have a sit down with the camera one night,

I'm not sure how old the jack is, Ive had him for about a year now, And he was 6-8 months old when we got him, Same with sara the saratoga,

They were brought up together when they were under 2" long and in a 12foot tank, Aparently thats why they dont fight, I originaly just wanted the jack, But the chap i got them off wouldnt sell one with out the other because it was a 'first' for him too see them both together in the tank, I had a 6" mary river cod, But he didnt last the night,

They dont fight _much_ but sara is definatly the boss!! Untill live food is in the tank! If you dump 10 gold fish, Jack gets 9, 8 if he's slow!, EVIL! fish, Expencive 40 secounds! I've just started feeding them potty mullet and hardy heads! They love them!!!

very interesting, so teh guy you got them off already had them in together from a juvinile stage?

Saratoga Jardini's are the meanest fish out of the Saratoga's and Arowana, they are always the bada$$ of the tank doesnt matter which tank mates you have, and having a Jar in with the jack just confirms my point.

very interesting mix, what tank do you have planned for the future?

Cammo

Paradoxx
09-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Yeah its bad when t hey 'fight' is when the jack try's too stand his ground, He's much quicker then the toga!,
Yeah, The guy i got them off had them together since day dot, in a huge 12ft tank! Was impressive

Aparently they killed everything else in the tank bar the gibbi pleco's,

Im not sure about future tanks, Ive had american cichlids, a big barra, Then *HEAPS* of africans in a very nice setup, These are easy and fun, I'm not sick of them yet, The jack is like a dog, He comes upto the glass when you talk too him!, I'm not sure what i'll do if they out grow the 6x2.5x2,

Paradoxx
09-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Saratoga Jardini's are the meanest fish out of the Saratoga's and Arowana, they are always the bada$$ of the tank doesnt matter which tank mates you have, and having a Jar in with the jack just confirms my point.
Cammo

Kinda,
They are bada$$ in the respect that the toga picks on the jack, But add feeder fish and the jack is the one that makes the water boil,

If the house was on fire an i could only take 1 fish with me :) i'd take the jack!

Cammy
09-04-2008, 09:04 PM
hmm well nice stocking you got there, certainly one of a kind.

Well for the future of my toga im gonna get a 5x5x2 oct tank (hopefully), mabye you could consider doing the same? or you can just sell em to underwater world lol im sure they would take em.

Cammo

Paradoxx
09-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Hurm :)I'm renting! 5x5x2 !!! Hate too move it!!!

My tank is from underwater world, I got my barra from there too!

Cammy
09-04-2008, 09:12 PM
really so they sell fish aswell? which part did u get ur barra from?

Cammo

Paradoxx
09-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Someone gave them the barra because it outgrew there tank, They didnt want it, was about 20cm long, Not big enough too put into the 'big barra' pond! Have you seen the size of them badboys!!

Ive got a long term family friend that has worked there for the last 13? years, :)

Cammy
09-04-2008, 09:30 PM
oh ok, i was getting worryed cause i put my barras there and i was like arggg there gonna sell em!, but its all good now ive calmed down lol. They should be able to hold there own i think, they were a bit bigger than the ones in the little billabong.

And yer theres some big brutes in there aye, i swear they have a 6ft one or bigger in there , but she always hides up the back!

would that family friend be Clint?

Cammo

ffejsmada
09-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Jeff, I know they're surface feeders but, I reckon you'll wake up one morning and that little fishy down the bottom will be gone. :o

kev

Yeah Kev I know;D;D;D;D

The tank looked too bare when sara was small, so put in creek natives to crowd it up a bit. I expect them to get eaten;D

One of the highlights of my day is when I get up in the morning and count the small fish!;D
I get excited when there's one missing!!!!!::)

Jeff.

loophole
09-04-2008, 11:50 PM
Yeah Kev I know;D;D;D;D

The tank looked too bare when sara was small, so put in creek natives to crowd it up a bit. I expect them to get eaten;D

One of the highlights of my day is when I get up in the morning and count the small fish!;D
I get excited when there's one missing!!!!!::)

Jeff.

LOL thats great to know :P

yea i loved feeding my bara basicly anything that ebtered the tak was eaten.
i realy loved how he would see a gudgeon and sit there and lock onto it, fin was up and his pectoral fins used to flap like crazy then as asoon as the gudgeon moved WHAKK it was goone.;D

cbs
10-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Last one, my dwarf zebra lion. Had him for about 5-6 years since he was a tiny 1 inch baby.

Cammy
10-04-2008, 10:43 PM
very nice fish cbs!

i got 2 new additions today, i got a saddle back clown loach, and a RED SCAT he is so cool! i will post pics tmro.

And good to see some pictures up loophole!

Cammo

loophole
11-04-2008, 01:02 PM
very nice fish cbs!

i got 2 new additions today, i got a saddle back clown loach, and a RED SCAT he is so cool! i will post pics tmro.

And good to see some pictures up loophole!

Cammo

Thanks mate glad you like em;) was hard work getting them up.

well hopefully ill have my 2 new barra and a salmontail catty to add to the tank next thurs as well as some more bass maybee.

reelemin1974
12-04-2008, 01:25 PM
These fish got eaten unfortunately, still can't get enough foog for my 'white'

Motorman
12-04-2008, 03:23 PM
I have quite a few tanks

I have 2 10ft tanks one that house my Natives
and 1 for my Africans

In the Native I have a Jack around 60cm
Toga around 60cm
3 Salmontail Catties rangin from 35 to 55cm
SleepyCod around 40cm
Did have 2 Bullrout about 25cm but they dissapeared a few weeks back
Sure the Jack finally decided he was big enough
also have 3 Cichla Monocolus Peacock Bass from South America
These guys range from 35 to 50cm
I dont really have many fights at all
Occasionally the Bass Jack and Toga have alittle tiff but never much
The Cod also sticks up for himself though he is generally happier the let them go and swim away
The Toga was my last addition and he would have been 35cm then and the Jack around 40cm

Brad

Cammy
12-04-2008, 03:50 PM
nice collection there brad! would love to see the jack, toga and cod!

how wide are the tanks? and how long have you had them for?

Cammo

loophole
12-04-2008, 06:03 PM
BRAD sounds like a good setup would like to see some pics.

Cammy
12-04-2008, 10:36 PM
Ok everyone, i have just today gained a new private fish supplier.
deals with:

Rare and non rare natives,
Import fishes of ALL kinds
Certain cichlids
Ceratin marine life.

Native:

MJ,Toga, Piebald Sootys,Sootys,Coal Grunters,Lungfish,Rare Cod Species,Jungle Perch, and Tonnes more. (only native he cant get is Trout Cod)

Import fish:

Cigar Sharks,Arowanas,Datnoids,Asian Arowana,Snakeheads,Almost all kinds of Plecostumus, And more.

So if anyone wants any kind of fish, PM Me.

Cammo

mowerman
13-04-2008, 10:08 PM
I have 1 clown loach left out of 3 I got off either Smithy or Ron Masters.
In a 6 foot tank with 1 angel. Thats all Ive got left after years of breeding chiclids and bristlenose.
Finally got to some tanks in the garage that I havent seen in 10 years.
Just lost interest I guess.

The clown is about 20cm long. Hasnt grown at all in 12/13 years.

Got it in 1987.

21 this year.

Rod

Ill see if I can get a photo.

Cammy
13-04-2008, 10:34 PM
cool man your getting some good years out of your fish, also if anyone doesnt wnat there tanks i will take em for my fish room, lol just putting it out there!

Cammo

BrandonH
16-04-2008, 01:29 PM
I wouldn't mind swapping a 4 foota and 3 foota for a 6 foota Cammo:P

Been wanting to get rid of my 4 foot tank for awhile now (4x1.5Hx2W strange size) Would love to get a 6x2.5Hx2W for a couple dozen Rainbows etc.. maybe one of these days:-/

Cheers
Brandon...

loophole
16-04-2008, 02:44 PM
yer if any one wants to get rid of some old tanks or gear put it up here im sure theres a few that would take it.

Cammy
16-04-2008, 08:22 PM
I wouldn't mind swapping a 4 foota and 3 foota for a 6 foota Cammo:P

Been wanting to get rid of my 4 foot tank for awhile now (4x1.5Hx2W strange size) Would love to get a 6x2.5Hx2W for a couple dozen Rainbows etc.. maybe one of these days:-/

Cheers
Brandon...

hmm im interested in the 4ftx2Wx1.5H, as i kinda need that setup. but i cant swap my 6ft:P i would happily buy it off you.

also i can get some prices if your interested in buying your own fish tank wholesale price? (its where i got my 6ft from)

Cammo

Matthias
17-04-2008, 07:52 PM
Jack and jaguar.

Pete

Tangles
17-04-2008, 08:34 PM
Just a question, ive had your usual freshwater tanks over the years, but not recently. Saw a great display tank recently with live corals and marine fish which really appealed to me,, just wondering the level of difficulty to set one up and look after it, also for a decent sized tank roughly what sort of budget are you looking at really,, not all the sales blurb you get...

whats the advice for pitfalls and what to look for.
cheers
Mike

chief 1
17-04-2008, 08:36 PM
we had an Oscar and a little barra,that was a while back and no pics:-[

cbs
18-04-2008, 07:50 AM
Just a question, ive had your usual freshwater tanks over the years, but not recently. Saw a great display tank recently with live corals and marine fish which really appealed to me,, just wondering the level of difficulty to set one up and look after it, also for a decent sized tank roughly what sort of budget are you looking at really,, not all the sales blurb you get...

whats the advice for pitfalls and what to look for.
cheers
Mike

Mike,

I'll give an answer since I have a reef at home. Gotta say I agree with you. Nothing imo, compares to a well set up reef in terms of colour and diversity. In fact, 99.9% of fresh water tanks absolutely bore me to tears. I have 12-15 fish, a couple of anenomes, about 50-60 coral colonies, shrimp, sea stars, and loads more in crystal clear water. A FW/brackish tank like most of the other photos on here doesn't compare in my view. (No offence to those that like keeping big fish in small tanks with yellow water :))

I have never kept a fresh water tank.

You can spend as much or as little as you like on a marine tank. A small fish only tank might set you back $500 or so much like a basic FW setup, but this is very basic with almost no scope for keeping coral/anenomes etc. My own tank has probably set me back more than my boat (4.3m/50hp) over the last several years, but I stopped counting ages ago. I could have spent a hell of a lot more if I wanted to.

A couple of pieces of advice to get you started:

Patience: DO EVERYTHING SLOWLY AND THINK IT THROUGH. Very important. Nothing good happens quickly.

Read read read then read again. Don't take the opinions of the shop owners as gospel. Most of them are just trying to sell stuff. You can DIY if you understand what is going on.

Decide what you want to keep before you buy the equipment. Setup up the tank to suit the type of coral you want. If you do this, the fish won't be a problem.

A bigger tank will be more stable and forgiving than a smaller one. I'd suggest 3x2x2 as an absolute minimum. Of course, costs can skyrocket on a large one.

Buy the best equipment you can afford, and only do it once.

I hope I haven't scared you. If not, pm me and I'll give you some sites with plenty of reading to look at.

cbs.

Tangles
18-04-2008, 01:24 PM
Many thanks, i like the idea of slowly building it up over time, if you could point me in the direction of a couple of sites for me to research that would be great, many thanks

mike

Cammy
18-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Jack and jaguar.

Pete

Nice jag there mate:D , i recently had the chance to get a small jag bout 10cm, but i didnt have enough tanks so i had to let him go. They are my favorite SA cichlid, i am going to own a breeding pair in the future hopefully!

very nice fish!8-)

Cammo

Cammy
23-04-2008, 04:43 PM
ok i no its been a while but i finally took pics of my red scat, the saddleback loach and the butterfly fish. i only got the butterfly fish last thursday and he is so cool.

and yes i didnt clean my glass before i took the pics:-[

Jeremy87
23-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Great thread you've started cammy and some really good photography aswell. My pride and joy are my tarpon and my bass that i caught locally. Unfortunately the morning sunlight no longer hits the pool so i think it's going to be impossible to get some good shots of them until summertime. Anyone who lives in the brisbane area who has fresh water natives or estuary species that can handle fresh that have outgrown their tank and are looking for a good home for them drop me a pm. I'm happy to buy them off you (within reason). Can't take the likes of sooties or barra cause the pool will get too cold but jacks, bass, cod, yellas,silvers etc should all do fine.

Cammy
23-04-2008, 11:43 PM
cool mate thanks for the imput!

all my shots are really shabby, but everyone else are good;) :P

Cammo

Jeremy87
24-04-2008, 09:13 AM
all my shots are really shabby, but everyone else are good;) :P

Yeh thats what i ment;D .

The shot of the dwarf zerba lion by cbs is awsome.

when taking shots of fish in a tank and using a flash make sure you are standing at an angle, that way the flash will reflect away from you instead of straight back, also by being zoomed the whole way in and change your distance from the tank to adjust frame size will also help.

ffejsmada
24-04-2008, 12:46 PM
Cammy, that Gudgeon has eyes for the butterfly fish!!!!
If it disappears you'll know where it's gone!

How big is that Gudgeon????? Is it a purple-spotted???

Jeff.

Mrs Ronnie H
24-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Hi guys
For the past few months i have taken up a new hobbie. i have been making my own stands. 3 ft i have mouth brooders, 4 ft have bristles, loaches, guppies, neons, double tank i have dwarf cichlids at top and babies from 3 ft tank at bottom.

Ronnie

Not real good pics but you get the idea--- Still more tanks to come????

sum

Cammy
24-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Hi guys
For the past few months i have taken up a new hobbie. i have been making my own stands. 3 ft i have mouth brooders, 4 ft have bristles, loaches, guppies, neons, double tank i have dwarf cichlids at top and babies from 3 ft tank at bottom.

Ronnie

Not real good pics but you get the idea--- Still more tanks to come????

sum

Nice looking tanks there mate , looks like its been done by a pro! how big do you build them a i need a 3x2x2 stand and hood :P :P ;D .

Cammo

Cammy
24-04-2008, 10:00 PM
Cammy, that Gudgeon has eyes for the butterfly fish!!!!
If it disappears you'll know where it's gone!

How big is that Gudgeon????? Is it a purple-spotted???

Jeff.

Um im not sure which pic your refering to because im stupid lol:P . but the purple spot it bout fully grown so round 15 -17 cm, the butterfly fish is bout 8cm not including the tail, and the 2 spangled gudgeons r bout 12cm.

And guess what, lol i got more fish today , i got O.gryonodes which is the third species of sleepy cod, and are really hard to get your hands on , but i finally got there after a month and a half and hes sitting in my tank now.
i also got 2 grunters that are harmless, named gilberts grunter, really nice silver fish and they are not aggresive.

Cammo

Cammy
24-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Yeh thats what i ment;D .

The shot of the dwarf zerba lion by cbs is awsome.

when taking shots of fish in a tank and using a flash make sure you are standing at an angle, that way the flash will reflect away from you instead of straight back, also by being zoomed the whole way in and change your distance from the tank to adjust frame size will also help.

yer mate i have tried and tried but i get what you mean, i usually point it to an angle and the flash goes away but some shots the flash has to be there otherwise you cant see the fish, and i dont have zoom either as im just using a crappy little c300 kodak camera.

Im thinking of getting a better one that can actually take nice shots of tanks and fish, cause i have this site that i can enter your photos in and if you will in a poll you get to have it published in this months aquarium book.

thnx for the tips mate!

Cammo

Mrs Ronnie H
25-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Hey Camm

Young son has six footer.

Thought of making a few to sell but just haven't got the time. I work 50 to 60 hours a week now so when it comes to the weekend i just sleep or go Fishin.

Would do some to sell if i had the time.

They are easy to make. Took me a little while on the first one but the more you make the better they are.

I built these to blend in with our furniture and a big plus was that they were cheaper than buying one in a shop.

Cheers
Ronnie

Cammy
25-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Yer it would cost less and be a better make and sturdier. I should probly learn how to build one myself , but i have no tools or anything, i have 1 drill 2 saws 3 hammers heaps of nails lol and a tape measure.

Might get arund to it one day.

My fav tank out of yours is that dual tank one on top of each other, just looks stunning and out of the ordinary!

Cammo

Poodroo
25-04-2008, 04:23 PM
I used to be into aquariums big time. Unfortunately I didn't take too many photos but managed to find a couple. I don't have the time these days to look after tanks but would like to have at least one tank again. I kept all kinds of fish ranging from Discus, North American Cichlids, African Cishlids, Australian Rainbow fish, and much much more.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t315/Poodroo/TexasCichlid.jpg
Texas Cichlid

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t315/Poodroo/Discus.jpg
Torquise Discus

Regards,

Poodroo

Riv_71
25-04-2008, 07:45 PM
Just some random shots of my tank, i have a couple of gouramis a big green severum and a eel tailed cat as well as a few othes floating around in there.

Mrs Ronnie H
26-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Hi Cammo
I like the double tank best as well.
You don't need alot of tools. I did all this with a jigsaw, hand saw a square, mitre saw and drill. Would of been a little easier with a drop saw but I still managed to get everything straight and square.

The first one was the hardest and i must admit the double one took a little working out as you need to make sure it can take the weight.

I will wait to see your work of art--- its not as hard as you think???

Ronnie

kingtin
26-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Poo is that a Jack Dempsey in fighting mood?

kev

Cammy
26-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Hi Cammo
I like the double tank best as well.
You don't need alot of tools. I did all this with a jigsaw, hand saw a square, mitre saw and drill. Would of been a little easier with a drop saw but I still managed to get everything straight and square.

The first one was the hardest and i must admit the double one took a little working out as you need to make sure it can take the weight.

I will wait to see your work of art--- its not as hard as you think???

Ronnie

Yer mate i might get round to it in the future, too much stuff happening atm with school and work. And in the coming year i have to do tafe courses on buisness managment stuff, so i'll have to leave it a while.

Plus i dont even know where to start or how to go about it.

Also it looks like a neet to get more tools;D :)

Cammo

Poodroo
27-04-2008, 08:12 AM
Poo is that a Jack Dempsey in fighting mood?

kev

No Kev. Was definitely a male Texas Cichlid. I used to breed them from imported stocks to get the best quality out of the fry. I used to breed Jack Dempsies as well.

Here is a photo of a male Jack Dempsy. They are a different shape and get deferent colours and patterns.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t315/Poodroo/jack-dempsey.jpg

Below are a couple of different Texas Cichlid shots, one being a poor quality one of an adult male and the other is while it is still juvenile.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t315/Poodroo/TexasAdult.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t315/Poodroo/TexasJuvenile.jpg

Poodroo

wokii1
28-04-2008, 08:25 PM
I am now 28 and have had native fish for as long as i can rembember, At one stage i had a fish room 4mt x 2mt in my shed with about 18 tanks in it. sadly to say they are all nearly gone. All i have left are 2, 5x2x2 tanks and 3, 2x18inx18in
thanks. I had one tank inside the house that was 2x2x2.5 which was my display tank, but I have striped it down and put it into storage for a few years till my kids get a little older. Unfortunatly most of my photos are on film, But here are some of the fish i did have.
http://xs226.xs.to/xs226/08181/img_0049132.jpg (http://xs.to)
http://xs226.xs.to/xs226/08181/img_0013538.jpg (http://xs.to)

I still have a Barcoo Grunter in one 5 foot tank and he is about 30-35cm. I puchased him when he was about 8 cm and he loves live food when i can get them.In my other 5 foot is my jack. I will try to get some pics of him as he is the best fish of all he would be about 10-15 cm.http://xs226.xs.to/xs226/08181/dump1032914.jpg (http://xs.to)

wokii1
28-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Opps sorry for the large pictures.
I will resize them better next time.

Poodroo
28-04-2008, 08:54 PM
wokii1 I too kept Australian and New Guinea Rainbowfish. Some of my favourite natives were the honey blue eyes, and the rhadinocentris ornatus rainbows which I am not even exist these days. Hopefully they are not extinct just yet. By the way I normally 700x500 or an average sixe of 120-140 KB when I upload them to a hosting site like photobucket.

Poodroo

wokii1
29-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Poodroo,
I had a pond with a few hundred honey blue eyes in it. They used to breed like rabbits. Very lovely fish just alittle rare/threatened.But i no longer have that pond either and have given away most of them.I did keep a small number and moved them into a new pond but it seems i may have done that a bit soon as i can't seem to see any in it anymore:'( . Rads are a very nice fish but getting real rare, I did have a few red one's but i find them very hard to keep. There are still a few spots you can get them but as wild numbers are small i wouldn't recommend it. I have had quite alot of different natives but love my jack the best. I also like bullrouts to , might have to go catch one one day soon.

Poodroo
29-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Poodroo,
I had a pond with a few hundred honey blue eyes in it. They used to breed like rabbits. Very lovely fish just alittle rare/threatened.But i no longer have that pond either and have given away most of them.I did keep a small number and moved them into a new pond but it seems i may have done that a bit soon as i can't seem to see any in it anymore:'( . Rads are a very nice fish but getting real rare, I did have a few red one's but i find them very hard to keep. There are still a few spots you can get them but as wild numbers are small i wouldn't recommend it. I have had quite alot of different natives but love my jack the best. I also like bullrouts to , might have to go catch one one day soon.

Rhads are gorgeous and yes I used to have the red ones as well. Shame they are so rare and endangered. The secret to keeping them was to have the softest water possible and add a product called "Blackwater Extract" to the water which introduced some natural tannins and also helped soften the water. The product was available through the company "Sera" and available in most leading retailers. Honey blue eyes also thrived on that product and it often induced spawning activity when added to the water. Only downside was that it tended to make the water a little tannic in colour but that is close to the colour they live in naturally anyhow.

Cheers,

Poodroo

Cammy
29-04-2008, 10:20 PM
its good to see we all have experience with native fish, a sthey are the best fish out there.

i have a mate that absolutly loves rainbows his moto is

" A real fish keeper keeps rainbows"

luckily i keep rainbows but only a couple of crimson spots, so i dont get hassled of course:P

i have 3 rainbow favorites,

Salmon red/Incisus,
Bosemani/boseman's rainbow,
Melanotaenia praecox,

i recon all these fish are stunning, along with some others.;D

here are some pics.

Cammo

Cammy
06-05-2008, 08:14 PM
anyone have some very large natives out there , like a massive sooty or yella?
or any kind of huge fish?

Cammo

ant_72
07-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Sorry but no photos have had a series of barra up to about 50cm and now have a cod of around 10cm with some mullet as well

Cammy
07-05-2008, 11:11 PM
nice man tehy will be monsters in no time!, specially the cod!.

im gonna take some more pics and post them tmro, of some crabs and stuff i got last week and clown plecos.

Cammo

Cammy
09-05-2008, 07:08 PM
ok i got some more pics, and better pics of the fish i already have, but mayaswell show them.;D

The first pic is of male / female crabs.

The 5th pic is 1 of my 2 clown pleco's, very cool plecs.

The second last pic is of my bass and on the right is the peacful gilbert's grunter, they only grow to 10-12 cm and will fit perfectly in any aquarium, unless you have baby fish:P

Just to identify the third pic it is of a Oxyleotoris Gryonoides;D , a third species of sleepy cod. It has nice red eyes and red streaks through it's fins, but the pic is real crap so you cant really see the colour.:(

and you guys can gues sthe others;)

Cammo

loophole
10-05-2008, 10:40 PM
nice pic of the Toga Cam, That tank is looking real clean.

Poodroo
11-05-2008, 10:14 AM
ok i got some more pics, and better pics of the fish i already have, but mayaswell show them.;D

The first pic is of male / female crabs.

The 5th pic is 1 of my 2 clown pleco's, very cool plecs.

The second last pic is of my bass and on the right is the peacful gilbert's grunter, they only grow to 10-12 cm and will fit perfectly in any aquarium, unless you have baby fish:P

Just to identify the third pic it is of a Oxyleotoris Gryonoides;D , a third species of sleepy cod. It has nice red eyes and red streaks through it's fins, but the pic is real crap so you cant really see the colour.:(

and you guys can gues sthe others;)

Cammo

Okay I will do my best with the photos. In pic 2 you have a Bream with a purple spoted gudgeon. Could also be a snakehead gudgeon but I am guessing I am right the first time. Can't see enough detail in the picture.
In pic 4 you have a plecostomus catfish and I am guessing specifically it is a gibbiceps but once again I can't be 100% sure because the dorsal fin is not extended. If it is a gibbiceps plecostomus it is worth a lot of money.
Pic 6 you have a bull rout.
Pic 8 is a Saratoga but specifically the Jardini saratoga.

Poodroo

loophole
11-05-2008, 01:11 PM
cam show some pics of your goldfish :P

wokii1
11-05-2008, 08:49 PM
good 2 see there r quite a few people with natives. I topped up my pond that had my honey blue eyes in it, and then the next day i spotted about 10 in there. I thought they had all died, coz i hadn,t seen any for about a year.

Cammy
11-05-2008, 11:36 PM
[quote=Poodroo;818612]Okay I will do my best with the photos. In pic 2 you have a Bream with a purple spoted gudgeon. Could also be a snakehead gudgeon but I am guessing I am right the first time. Can't see enough detail in the picture.
In pic 4 you have a plecostomus catfish and I am guessing specifically it is a gibbiceps but once again I can't be 100% sure because the dorsal fin is not extended. If it is a gibbiceps plecostomus it is worth a lot of money.
Pic 6 you have a bull rout.
Pic 8 is a Saratoga but specifically the Jardini saratoga.

Poodroo[/quote

Yer pics r really shabby, my cameras good with anything but water and tank shots, really sucks.>:(

ok half way there, the seocnd pic is the bream and a spangled gudgeon/small eyed gudegeon, grow to bout 35cm and look very cool as adults as they keep there colours and white strips, and also develope yellow trimings on the fins.

Pic 4 there are actually 2 plecostumus's in the pic, and they are the common variety not the sailfins, i wish i had sailfins they r cooler and have more vivid markings in the specimens i have seen. I might have to get one form work as i have grown this little one up in my display tank and he's nice and healthy and lookin great. i also have 2 bigger plecs in the 6ft somewhere bout 9".

And yep all the other guesses r right.

Cammo

Cammy
11-05-2008, 11:44 PM
nice pic of the Toga Cam, That tank is looking real clean.

What do you mean???? That tank is always clean;D :-X 8-)

I dont have pics of my goldfish but i have vids of goldfish being eaten in my signature, lol if that helps.

Cammo

loophole
14-05-2008, 06:30 PM
What do you mean???? That tank is always clean;D :-X 8-)

I dont have pics of my goldfish but i have vids of goldfish being eaten in my signature, lol if that helps.

Cammo

OMG ANIMAL CRUELTY serriously.:P ;D 8-)

wayno60
15-05-2008, 08:11 PM
here's jack @50cm
http://inlinethumb35.webshots.com/40738/1149880130055615968S425x425Q85.jpg (http://pets.webshots.com/photo/1149880130055615968alOAtT)
http://thumb8.webshots.net/s/thumb2/8/1/30/149880130alOAtT_th.jpg (http://pets.webshots.com/photo/1149880130055615968alOAtT)

loophole
15-05-2008, 08:14 PM
looks like hes well fed.

wayno60
15-05-2008, 08:36 PM
yep he could gulp down a whole WA pilly in one go, and if he didnt hit it head first he would chomp it then flick it around so he could........
After sitting for hours just watching him you really get a better understanding of these great fish.....

He used to be in the tank right beside the puter and we would play games .....

if i didnt pay attention to him he would swim off up to the other end of the tank, till i taped on the glass and he would come running, well swimming back down to my end and wait for me to put my hand on the tank and he would come right over as if to pat him......very sad day when we lost him

whiting-wizard
15-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Hey mate nice jack i have 2 barramundi that ive had for about a year ill put pics up after;D;D

loophole
15-05-2008, 10:10 PM
Hey mate nice jack i have 2 barramundi that ive had for about a year ill put pics up after;D;D
be intresting to see how big they are for a year old ive got 2 that are about 1 month old as well as 4 bass and 1 bream i did have a bara that was 35cm but he got killed >:( :'(

whiting-wizard
15-05-2008, 10:38 PM
be intresting to see how big they are for a year old ive got 2 that are about 1 month old as well as 4 bass and 1 bream i did have a bara that was 35cm but he got killed >:( :'(

How did he get killed mate. What a shame

whiting-wizard
15-05-2008, 10:39 PM

Do you have pics mate of your fish??

Cammy
17-05-2008, 08:58 PM
nice jack there mate, one of the best i have seen.

Cammo

whiting-wizard
17-05-2008, 09:07 PM
Im looking at getting rid of my barra and im interested in getting a jack. where abouts can you get them from as ive checked my local pet stores but they don't have any.

loophole
17-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Hey whiting wizard -

I had my barra in a 160l esky while i was getting my new 6ft tank set up when my sis decied to unplug the extension lead running the filters and heater and airator in the esky so she ccould plug her hair straightner in. But she put he cord back in BUT FORGOT TO TURN IT ON! ..... over nite he died.:'(

If you check page 2 of this Thread I have some pics of him when he was about 6 months old. iI have none of my Bass and Barra and Bream in the 6ft yet, I will Snap some soon.

loophole
17-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Im looking at getting rid of my barra and im interested in getting a jack. where abouts can you get them from as ive checked my local pet stores but they don't have any.

Mate if your after a Jack You might want to have about $150 spare for a lil specimen. I think my Mate might be able to get you on. He Has contacts.

whiting-wizard
17-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Mate if your after a Jack You might want to have about $150 spare for a lil specimen. I think my Mate might be able to get you on. He Has contacts.

Alright mate thanks;)

whiting-wizard
17-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Heres some of the pics of my barra hope you like them;)

Cammy
17-05-2008, 10:34 PM
nice barras there mate, how big did u say the tank was?

That mate of loophole's is probably me. I will get prices in the coming days (if i cant get it tonight) for small jacks, how big are you after?

EDIT

ok i spoke to him just then, i can get you a 1cm or 1" for the price range around about 75-90 more or less.

Cammo

whiting-wizard
17-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Im not sure how big the tank is ill have a look after.Im probs looking for a jack around 10cm onwards.;)

whiting-wizard
17-05-2008, 10:41 PM
The tank is 3 and a half foot

Cammy
17-05-2008, 11:08 PM
Righto i probably cant help you there. You will have to wait till summer to get one round that size for bout $350 in pet shops.

Would i be able to know how wide and tall it is?

Barra size round one year is probs 30cm-38cm long, so time to upgrade since there are 2 in the tank, but its good ur selling bud, we dont want deformed fish now do we:P

Cammo

whiting-wizard
18-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Yeah thats right well anysize jack would do i just love them.
Mate im thinking of upgrading what would be the best size to get?

Cammy
19-05-2008, 05:25 PM
do you mean for the jack?

for the jack i would start him off in anysize tank, but i would put him strait into a tank that he can last a long time in, say a 6x2x2. he will be able to live in there for a number of years probably.

Cammy
21-05-2008, 03:12 PM
well i am able to get 10cm jacks now, or even 7.5cm jacks. 10cm will be $110 7.5 will be $100. that goes for anyone. Pickup only

Cammo

loophole
21-05-2008, 05:25 PM
well i am able to get 10cm jacks now, or even 7.5cm jacks. 10cm will be $110 7.5 will be $100. that goes for anyone. Pickup only

Cammo

Ill take 2 !8-)

DO U DO MATES RATES??:P

loophole
21-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Yeah thats right well anysize jack would do i just love them.
Mate im thinking of upgrading what would be the best size to get?

Whiting Wizard. what cammy has said is good advice to follow.

I have a 6x2x2 for my aus nativies there only small atm but i have 2 barra 4 Aus bass and 1 bream.

but they will grow quickly in this size tank and all the live food they get.

Cammy
21-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Ill take 2 !8-)

DO U DO MATES RATES??:P

i dunno man, i guess i could work something out:-/ , if your being serious that is, i dont think you are though lol

Cammo

whiting-wizard
21-05-2008, 09:49 PM
thanks guys ill think about it.

Big_Ren
22-05-2008, 09:47 PM
A couple of my pet barra "Wheel". Started off in a 2 ft tank and ended up in a 6 x 2 x 2. He is in a better world now.

Cheers
Paul

Big_Ren
22-05-2008, 09:50 PM
One more of the tank.....

Fitzy
22-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Some pics of some of the native fish in my tank at home HERE (http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Forum/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=38;u=2) Will try to dig up other pics I've got on the old PC, maybe some video as well.

Have had alot of Australian & PNG fish over the years. Love the saratoga & Archerfish. The most entertaining fish at BBQs is hand feeding the big barras I had. Getting a new person to feed them was always worth a giggle.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

bdowdy
23-05-2008, 09:39 AM
hi fitzy hows things mate, i can agree totally about the hand feeding barra thing, dont know how many people say there getting a barra after feeding mine. cheers bdowdy..brett

Cammy
23-05-2008, 04:27 PM
yer i no aye, my matee were too scared to feed the barras.

nice barra btw mate!

Cammo

tunaticer
23-05-2008, 05:13 PM
I'm surprised you guys havent got any of the "vermin" species like small rays and catfish and the odd pike eel or conger eel. They make excellent tank critters and soon clean up anything thats starting to get crook.

One fish I always wanted to get into my tanks when I had them was an Elops Australis or Giant Herring. Would love to be able to study their habits.

At one stage i have an octopus I caught at redcliffe that was about 1/2 a kilo or so. He decimated anything that was a crustacean quickly including an almost legal sized Muddy.

Jack.

Cammy
23-05-2008, 05:36 PM
i have an mottled longfin eel, and i did have 4 catties , havent tried a ray yet mabye i might if i catch a little one. that would be cool, cause actual freshwater rays cost like 2k imported and that way too much for anyone i think.

would the rays be able to be converted? salt to fresh?

Cammo

Cammy
23-05-2008, 10:02 PM
Hey i just fixed up my aquarium compilation vid of most of my fish engulfing food and just swimming around. I have a good and a bad version so i will put the good version link up. ( i dunno if you will like the music, i like it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYt29S1vCxw

There are natives and non natives. Be aware this is the first video i have ever made, so its a bit shabby, and yes i was using my shabby camera lol

Enjoy!;D

Cammo

Cammy
23-05-2008, 10:25 PM
um was it supposed to do that??????? i just put a link up????

Cammo

Breambuster33
25-05-2008, 06:15 PM
im thinking about getting a Australian native fish..
anyone got any suggestions on the size of the tank
or what fish to get
cheers

bdowdy
25-05-2008, 07:30 PM
nice vid cammy thanks for showing

Keechie
25-05-2008, 07:39 PM
awesome stuff cammo, do you know if it is legal to catch an undersized bream and take it back and put it into a tank or do you have to find them in the shops?

regards,
keechie

Keechie
25-05-2008, 07:41 PM
also what song was that?

regards,
keechie

mossyback08
25-05-2008, 07:50 PM
great set-ups guys

loophole
25-05-2008, 08:50 PM
awesome stuff cammo, do you know if it is legal to catch an undersized bream and take it back and put it into a tank or do you have to find them in the shops?

regards,
keechie

HEY keech there is nothing illegal about buying a undersize bream from the pet shops mate.

if you had a look would u have noticed that also the bass are undersize and the toga too but they where all brought from the same shop nothig wrong with that.

cbs
25-05-2008, 08:52 PM

regards,
keechie

If its got a minimum size specified for it then that must be followed. Sorry but thats how it is.

Cammy
26-05-2008, 11:12 PM
im thinking about getting a Australian native fish..
anyone got any suggestions on the size of the tank
or what fish to get
cheers

Hey mate, i suggest a fish that you really like and have an intrest in.
http://www.nativefish.asn.au/

Have a look at this site , it shows most of the common freshwater native fish that are available.

Barra grow fast so if you wanted to keep one, you will probably have to go a pretty big tank, say 6x2x2 ft and still that will hold it for only like 2 1/2 years if fed live food.

Bass are slow growers, so you can keep them in a smaller tank for a longer time, and they are so cool when they eat crickets, they are so precise and never miss!

Murry cod vary, although i have never had one myself, i have heard stories of them growing rapidly fast and others really slow.

There are heaps of fish to choose from, just pick one that you really like, work out how you are going to house the fish or fishes, work out the requirements of the fish. I find it really fun to setup a new tank as you can make it whatever you want it to look like.

Cammo

Breambuster33
27-05-2008, 09:10 AM
cheers cammy

HIGH and DRY
27-05-2008, 01:30 PM
hi all, great thread here!

i have just bought a 4foot tank off a mate, which came with all the goodies including quite a large canister filter which is rated to about a 6foot capacity.

it will be going in our new house when we move in, so i have not had it setup yet. i am very keen on a saltwater setup, and am interested in catching a few local species such as a moses perch and possibly a bream or similar. legal size of course. my question is: i have been told i can use sea water to fill the tank, and regularly replacing small portion of water will keep the fish happy. has anyone done this with success, and has anyone tried to keep a moses perch before..I imagine they would be similar to keeping a jack???

please excuse my ignorance, i am very new to this!!:-[

pete

Cammy
27-05-2008, 07:52 PM
I had a customer the other day that had a moses perch, bream and jacks in together in brakish water, so its possible in brackish.

Cammo

whiting-wizard
27-05-2008, 07:57 PM
cammy i think im going to get a mangrove jack soon so how much will it cost for one about 7cm?

wokii1
27-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Here is a picture of my Jack. http://xs127.xs.to/xs127/08222/resizejack__2_454.jpg (http://xs.to)

I would like to know how often people feed there jacks. I have heard that they grow very fast. I have had mine from when he was about 4cm and have had him about 2 years in a 5ft tank by himself (except for the feeder fish he gets sometimes.) and he is about 15cm now. I only feed him about 1-2 a week, I know many of you will say that is not enough but he doesn't show any signs of not being feed enough and I do not feed them this often on perpose but that is about how often i get up to the shed to feed them. Hence Why i have noticed that he hasn't grown fast but still looks healthy to me. I think that the more often you feed them the faster they grow. How much do you think they would eat in a day in a wild? A hand full of fish or just one? My Barcoo grunter is in the same boat when it comes to feeding. He is about 2.5 - 3 years old now and doing fine.
But i could be wrong so how much do you feed yours and how fast does he grow?

Also on another note, be carefull with what fish food you feed fish as fish cannot process fat properley and it will stay with them till they die. So feed them a low fat food (less than 5%) and they will live longer.

Cammy
27-05-2008, 08:44 PM
hey mate,

Can only get 7.5cm for $100 10cm at $110, it's cheaper if bulk buy to.

2 x 10cm jacks is $200.

2 x 7.5cm jacks is $180.

i have a week or 2 to make the last order.

Pickup only.

Keech the song is, Headsrong - by Trapt

Cammo

whiting-wizard
27-05-2008, 08:47 PM
alright cammy i might get a 7.5cm one if thats ok with you;)

Cammy
27-05-2008, 08:59 PM
What have you been feeding the jack besides feeders? just pellets?

I would say its probably cause he doesnt get fed much, even though he doesnt show signs of being hungry, fish are always hungry and i mean always , (in aquariums atleast) everything benefits from food.

also how often do you do water changes?

Cammo

Cammy
27-05-2008, 09:04 PM
alright cammy i might get a 7.5cm one if thats ok with you;)

also mate i forgot to add that they will hopefully arrive late July early August.

still after one?

Cammo

wokii1
28-05-2008, 09:17 AM
What have you been feeding the jack besides feeders? just pellets?

I would say its probably cause he doesnt get fed much, even though he doesnt show signs of being hungry, fish are always hungry and i mean always , (in aquariums atleast) everything benefits from food.

also how often do you do water changes?

Cammo

I feed him mostly pellets, I agree his size is because of my feeding habits, And i agree that fish are always hungry but what i mean is Just because they are hungry does that mean they NEED to be fed or want to be fed?

I do a water change (about 1/2 tank) and filter clean about every 2 months, this is only because
of a few things, the size of the tank, and the fish waste. Because he is not really large , not feed alot and the tank is quite large, I believe the water quality is better for longer. If i feed him every day I belive i would need to do a water change proberly every 2-3 weeks.

Cammy
28-05-2008, 03:17 PM
I feed him mostly pellets, I agree his size is because of my feeding habits, And i agree that fish are always hungry but what i mean is Just because they are hungry does that mean they NEED to be fed or want to be fed?

I do a water change (about 1/2 tank) and filter clean about every 2 months, this is only because
of a few things, the size of the tank, and the fish waste. Because he is not really large , not feed alot and the tank is quite large, I believe the water quality is better for longer. If i feed him every day I belive i would need to do a water change proberly every 2-3 weeks.

hmm after reading that i think the problem is the tank cleaning, even though you can sustain a good enviroment for the fish if you dont do water changes for a while, new water always seems to make the fish have a growth spurt in my experiences.

For e.g i only do water changes every 2-3 weeks on my 6x2x2 because i want my fish to stay smaller for longer, cause when he gets bigger i have no where to put him. On my smaller tanks i do water change every 1-2 weeks cause they are all juviniles and i want them to grow more.

If you do more water changes and keep feeding him the same rate he should grow quicker.

Although i wouldnt mind a jack that stayed small all the time:D

Cammo

whiting-wizard
28-05-2008, 03:41 PM
also mate i forgot to add that they will hopefully arrive late July early August.

still after one?

Cammo

Yeah mate still after one

Cammy
28-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Yeah mate still after one

righto mate will put the order in now.

Cammo

wokii1
29-05-2008, 07:26 PM
hmm after reading that i think the problem is the tank cleaning, even though you can sustain a good enviroment for the fish if you dont do water changes for a while, new water always seems to make the fish have a growth spurt in my experiences. ................

If you do more water changes and keep feeding him the same rate he should grow quicker.

Cammo

that is a interesting idea. I would of thought the 5-6 feeds a week he misses out on (if you were to feed once a day. Some feed 2 a day) would make more of a difference. Hopefully I will be moving the 2 5's out of the shed soon and under the patio, So he will be alot closer and get looked after a bit better.(Still trying to convince the wife to let me put it in the house. 2, 5 footers in the house would be sweet!

jackextracter
02-06-2008, 12:36 AM
Heres a few jacks

not much in the tank cause he used to destroy everything he was like a pitbull pup had to chew and destroy everythink.

whiting-wizard
02-06-2008, 07:05 PM
hey cammy i got a new tank today i think its a 4ft

heres some pics;)

Cammy
02-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Nice man, new home for the jack aye. Sure its a 4 ft? just looks a bit smaller in the pics thats all. Which shop did you get it from?

Cammo

whiting-wizard
03-06-2008, 03:23 PM
yeah cammy its a 4ft and i got it from pet super store in capalaba.
Yeah it does look a bit small in the pics but its actually much bigger;)

nuckle
03-06-2008, 08:45 PM
yeah cammy its a 4ft and i got it from pet super store in capalaba.
Yeah it does look a bit small in the pics but its actually much bigger;)

how much was it?

whiting-wizard
03-06-2008, 09:07 PM
All up it cost 700 with all the extras.

Cammy
03-06-2008, 11:39 PM
Hey WW, thats the same store i work at, but im at the store on the northside. lol weird.

Also if you drove to northiside store we got better deals for cheaper, inc all accesories, its like $589, or somthing like that off the top of my head.

Cammo

loophole
04-06-2008, 05:48 PM
All up it cost 700 with all the extras.

sh1t cammy makes me feell a bit better about how much i paid for my 6ft lol.
im just tight tho lol.:P

Cammy
04-06-2008, 07:03 PM

yer man you got a good deal there

Cammo

whiting-wizard
04-06-2008, 07:28 PM

How much did you pay for your 6ft?

loophole
04-06-2008, 07:40 PM
How much did you pay for your 6ft?

To be honest mate i got a 6ftx2ftx2ft with gravell rocks and a couple of chilids *crappy ones* also it came with a stand and hood but they where really shitty so i got my own made up... but it cost me $450 second hand at a garage sale.

but this tank is 2nd and is about 6 years old im guesing..

MJ
05-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Jumpinpin caught bream converted to freshwater.

Poodroo
05-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Amazing how things turn out. As previously mentioned I used to work in the aquarium industry for a major Aquarium and Pet retailer on the south side. Last week I handed in my resignation with my current employer because basically the fuel prices are making the job less affordable. My boss gave me this week off because he states he cannot afford to lose me and some time off maybe needed to help me to "hopefully" reconsider and change my mind. I used my time off to go and visit my previous employers and friends from the Aquarium store who I have not seen in ages and in general conversation mentioned I handed in my two weeks notice and will be looking for work. They promptly offered me my old job back and tempted me with a salary package of over $200 per week more than my current employer is paying me. I would consider myself mad not to take the offer up so it is official, I will now be working back in the aquarium industry. Better money without driving 150-200klms per day has to be a better option. ;D

Cheers,

Poodroo

Outsider1
05-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Congratulations Poodroo.

Sometimes you have to put your foot down on lifestyle issues etc and back yourself, and it can really pay off!.

Cheers

Dave

BrandonH
06-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Awesome Poodroo!!! You gota be lucky sometimes;D bet the Pajero will thank you for the change;)

Cammy and Poodroo, when you guys get a chance could you send me a quote on a 6x2x2 tank and a 6x2x3high with stand no hood no filters please? I have been itching to get a nice 6 foota for ages now!! May not be able to do the deal for awhile though but would be nice to see how much I will need to spend.

cheers
Brandon...

Poodroo
06-06-2008, 04:39 PM
Awesome Poodroo!!! You gota be lucky sometimes;D bet the Pajero will thank you for the change;)

Cammy and Poodroo, when you guys get a chance could you send me a quote on a 6x2x2 tank and a 6x2x3high with stand no hood no filters please? I have been itching to get a nice 6 foota for ages now!! May not be able to do the deal for awhile though but would be nice to see how much I will need to spend.

cheers
Brandon...
The Pajero will probably die of shock I should think. :P

I don't start the new job for a couple of weeks yet but what I do know is that firstly a tank that is 3 foot deep will need to be made on at least 1/2 inch glass. Secondly my suggestion would be to make the stand as low down as possible just so that you won't need a ladder to stand on when you have to clean inside the tank. If you don't have a quote by the time I get back into the industry let me know and I will chase it up for you.

Congratulations Poodroo.

Sometimes you have to put your foot down on lifestyle issues etc and back yourself, and it can really pay off!.
Thanks Dave. I guess bottom line is if you you have to look after your own interests and the family. It was time for me to move on.

Cheers

Dave

Cheers,

Poodroo

loophole
06-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Poodroo mate sounds awesome that ur getting back in the industry.

Poodroo
07-06-2008, 07:41 AM
Poodroo mate sounds awesome that ur getting back in the industry.

One thing loophole that I always thought about this job in the past. It was never work as such but rather playing with a hobby and getting paid for it. ;) The best thing is that this company originally was financially going broke and with my sales and management background I was asked if I could help join them and save the business. It went from a $1000 per week failing business to a very comfortable $40,000+ per week business in the 5 years I was with them. The fact that it grew so well with my help has made them want me back at almost any price so I am happy to go and play with the hobby again for double to what I was earning the first time. Works for me just fine. ;D
Sorry if I have hijacked the thread a little. Keep sending in your aquarium photos people. ;) I may have some myself in the near future.

Poodroo

PinHead
07-06-2008, 07:48 AM
Used to own an aquarium shop about 25 years ago (don't miss that either)..now only have one 5' tank with one red devil in it...actually the son's but he left home and the bloody fish stayed.

Cammy
07-06-2008, 02:57 PM
hey brandon,

i have a mate that works at this shop, and it is a wholesale tank shop. It is usually much cheaper than actual petshops/aquarium stores.

http://www.aquariumsrus.com.au/

I have bought tanks form here and i am satisfied. You can call them and make custom orders for stands,tanks,hoods all the like, any size or shape. Hope it helps.

Cammo

Cammy
07-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Congrats Poodroo!

"It was never work as such but rather playing with a hobby and getting paid for it."

Thats pretty much how i look at my job aswell !!.

hope to see some pics soon Poodroo!

Cammo

Poodroo
07-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Congrats Poodroo!

"It was never work as such but rather playing with a hobby and getting paid for it."

Thats pretty much how i look at my job aswell !!.

hope to see some pics soon Poodroo!

Cammo
You most likely will because I have been toying with the idea of setting up a display aquarium again with lots of cardinal tetras, aquatic plants, running with all the good gear like CO2 injection and fertiizers etc. Can't wait. ;D

Poodroo

NOjacks
07-06-2008, 05:28 PM
hey there guys havent been on for ages just moved house ive just had a 8x2'6x2'6 tank built buy aquariums rus the tank and stand are great quality ive got a
coal grunter 25cm
5 peacock bass 25-35cm
3 plecos25-45cm
eetail catty 40cm
3archer fish
2featherfin cattys

sorry no pics yet its only just set up the whole system (tank,sump,refugium) holds 1650 litres

i have a 6x2x2 tank only $200 if anyones interested

cheers NOjacks

Cammy
07-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Coaly! i love those little guys, im trying to find one atm but they r too little and too pricey. but i found some sooty grunters for very very cheap, so im getting 2 of those to put my red scat into place!

Aslo nice tank there mate, something i would love to have!!!

Cammo

whiting-wizard
07-06-2008, 06:40 PM
hey there guys havent been on for ages just moved house ive just had a 8x2'6x2'6 tank built buy aquariums rus the tank and stand are great quality ive got a
coal grunter 25cm
5 peacock bass 25-35cm
3 plecos25-45cm
eetail catty 40cm
3archer fish
2featherfin cattys

sorry no pics yet its only just set up the whole system (tank,sump,refugium) holds 1650 litres

cheers NOjacks

Hey mate

Is the 6x2x2 tank just the tank or does it come with a stand?
Or anything else

cheers
ww

loophole
07-06-2008, 08:55 PM
coal grunter 25cm
5 peacock bass 25-35cm
3 plecos25-45cm
eetail catty 40cm
3archer fish
2featherfin cattys

cheers NOjacks

hey no jacks if u can send me a few pics i mite take it.

NOjacks
08-06-2008, 06:55 AM
sorry boys no pics at the moment just getting internet working the tank is 10mm beveled edge glass there are a few scratches but in good nick i have a heep of clarence river pebbles for it as well and might sell the 2 aqua one cansters with it for an extra $175 i have a box of power heads heaters uv filters that i might be able to sell to set you up there is no stand or hood mob phone is 0407436648

NOjacks

Poodroo
08-06-2008, 09:04 AM
The "For Sale" section must be buggered??? :-X ::)

Poodroo

Cammy
08-06-2008, 06:55 PM
hey no jacks if u can send me a few pics i mite take it.

umm? where are you gonna put it mate? lol:P

Cammo

moorie86
09-06-2008, 10:43 AM
Hey guys,
Just wondering how a Bream can be turned into a freshwater fish?. I have never heard of this but am interested.
Cheers, Cam

jackextracter
09-06-2008, 12:55 PM
[quote=moorie86;837712]Hey guys,
Just wondering how a Bream can be turned into a freshwater fish?. I have never heard of this but am interested.
Cheers, Cam[/quote
You do it by adding fresh slowly to the salt, and after a few days you use a hydrometer to check salt levels and hopefuuly its all fresh but u have to be carefull you dont take to long to do it cause ammonia and nitrate levels can build up alot and kill your fish, make sure you dont take undersize fish to do it also cause its ilegal.cheers

Poodroo
09-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Hey guys,
Cheers, Cam

I used to have a method where I would come home with the fish in a bucket in salt water and sit the bucket on a chair next to a table under the pergola. With some chlorine neutralized water I would stick another bucket on the table and using some airline (The type used to run air bubbles in an aquarium) complete with a valve to regulate water flow and run it from the freshwater bucket just by siphoning into the bucket with the bream in it. Then I would have another length of the same airline tubing to siphon water from the bucket with the bream in it at approximately the same rate of flow as the water going into its bucket. When the freshwater bucket was empty I would simply relpace it with more fresh water and repeat the process again. Nice and slowly is the key. The taste test was the final step. Dip a finger in the bucket with the bream in it and then touch the tip of the tongue and if there was any hint of salt I would continue the process until the water tasted totally fresh. If you don't mind spending money then get a digital hydrometer to test the salinity instead of tasting.

Poodroo

FISHAWN
09-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Some nice fish in here guys, well done !
anyone keep a flathead's ?

jackextracter
09-06-2008, 02:30 PM
I used to have a method where I would come home with the fish in a bucket in salt water and sit the bucket on a chair next to a table under the pergola. With some chlorine neutralized water I would stick another bucket on the table and using some airline (The type used to run air bubbles in an aquarium) complete with a valve to regulate water flow and run it from the freshwater bucket just by siphoning into the bucket with the bream in it. Then I would have another length of the same airline tubing to siphon water from the bucket with the bream in it at approximately the same rate of flow as the water going into its bucket. When the freshwater bucket was empty I would simply relpace it with more fresh water and repeat the process again. Nice and slowly is the key. The taste test was the final step. Dip a finger in the bucket with the bream in it and then touch the tip of the tongue and if there was any hint of salt I would continue the process until the water tasted totally fresh. If you don't mind spending money then get a digital hydrometer to test the salinity instead of tasting.

Poodroo
I done it the same way with the airtube but i used to tie a not in the tube to slow it down and make it drip out slowly i used to have a 6foot tank with freshwater fish already in it, so i would grab my little tank that holds 20 litres put the fish i was transfering in it with salt water from the area i got them from and put that little 20 lt tank inside a 100 litre esky and then put the air tube from the 6foot tank to the the 20litre tank and tie a not in the tube and begin to transfer freshwater to the little tank that the saltwater fish are in, i would put a mesh lid on the little 20 liter tank so the fish couldnt get out and then just let the 20litre tank over flow in to 100 liter esky it is sitting in this in my view was the easiest way of doing it cause the fish are going to have good freshwater coming from an aready established tank with freshwater that has all the good bacterea in it after a day i would test with hydrometer to test salt levels and if needed continue the transfer if needed more fresh.

jackextracter
09-06-2008, 02:38 PM
I have never done one or heard of one being done but i do not think it would work with them some fish need a certain amount of salt levels in the water to survive.

moorie86
09-06-2008, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the advice,
Quick question, Do the fish get the red spot disease they get in the saltwater systems when there is a lot of fresh running into it?

Cheers, cam

bdowdy
09-06-2008, 06:44 PM
hi guys just a quick question, have noticed lately my barra has white sores like ulcers around his head area,only small and they come and go, only match head size or alittle bigger ANY IDEAS ....am i feeding him too much fish or bloodworm, or is it some known disease which i can fix by treatment...ANY HELP APPRECIATED. CHEERS BDOWDY.BRETT

Cammy
09-06-2008, 06:56 PM

I have heard of people keeping flathead in tanks, as the previous fish manager was telling me a story about his mate.

He caught a flatty took it home and converted it to freshwater, but for some reason the fish wasnt eating, he then found out that flatheads had to have a current to be able to eat. Because flatheads are Mainly ambush predators the current naturally has to move bait/fish in the direction of the flathead, meanwhile the flathead is facing the current waiting for food. So the flatty ended up dead because he couldnt make the proper current.:(

Also had a customer sometime last year say that he tried the same thing and didnt work out.

These are only storys, so i havent tried it out myself, and i dont really want to kill a flathead.:(

Cammo

Cammy
09-06-2008, 07:11 PM
hi guys just a quick question, have noticed lately my barra has white sores like ulcers around his head area,only small and they come and go, only match head size or alittle bigger ANY IDEAS ....am i feeding him too much fish or bloodworm, or is it some known disease which i can fix by treatment...ANY HELP APPRECIATED. CHEERS BDOWDY.BRETT

is it justa round the head? near the gills? fins? are the ulcers protruding from the skin?

Cammo

bdowdy
09-06-2008, 07:24 PM
hey cammy just around the head and it looks like a pimple and then like hole in the head eating inwards. no where near fins just head, gills.???cheers bdowdy

Cammy
09-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Ok well to me it sounds like hole in the head disease, although i may be wrong.

Head and Lateral Line Erosion Disease (HLLD or HLLE)
Also known as: Lateral Line Erosion (LLE), Lateral Line Disease (LLD), and Hole-in-the-Head Disease

Symptoms: Begins as small pits on the head and face, usually just above the eye. If untreated, these turn into large cavities and then the disease progresses along the lateral line.
Head and Lateral Line Disease is attributed to a nutritional deficiency of one or more of: Vitamin C, Vitamin D, calcium, and phosphorus. Though its cause is not definitively determined, it is thought to be caused by a poor diet or lack of variety, lack of partial water changes, or over filtration with chemical media such as activated carbon.
HLLE has been reversed by one or more of the following treatments:

Increase frequent water changes.
Add vitamins to frozen foods.
Add the addition of flake foods, as they are enriched with vitamins.
Add greens, either frozen or in leaf form, to the diet.
Decrease the amount of beef heart as it lacks many critical nutrients.
Remove activated carbon filtration.(This disease is often confused with another disease called 'Hexamita (http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/information/Diseases.htm#Hexamita)', because both these diseases are often seen simultaneously in the same fish. Hexamita is a protozoan disease that attacks the lower intestine. Discus and other large cichlids, especially Oscars, are especially prone to Hexamita.)

i havent heard this diseas on barra though.

EDIT : i just re-read ur post, and didnt realise you were reffering to hole in the head. But it does sound liek it alot.

Cammo

bdowdy
09-06-2008, 09:44 PM
thanks cammy yeh not sure but will do some water changes more often, and do some treatments,,, how often would you feed a barra,as mine could eat all day but only gets fed once aday or every second,cheers bdowdy,,brett

loophole
09-06-2008, 09:54 PM
thanks cammy yeh not sure but will do some water changes more often, and do some treatments,,, how often would you feed a barra,as mine could eat all day but only gets fed once aday or every second,cheers bdowdy,,brett

yeah baras will eat 24/7 , it depends on how big your baras are mine are at 10cm now and i feed them 1 frogmouth pillie each a day plus some feeders.

bdowdy
09-06-2008, 10:04 PM
hey loophole mines about40 to50cm and gets a varied diet of goldys ,and frozen foods.cheers bdowdy..brett

Cammy
09-06-2008, 10:24 PM

I used to feed my barras every 2nd or 3rd day, to stop them from growing, they were about the same size as your guy! i fed them 2 pillies each, as the fish stay in there gut for bout 1 1/2 days, as i found out one day by accident:-X . so i wasnt really starving them.:)

Cammo

ffejsmada
16-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Here's an updated pic of my Toga. She's, (actually I don't know if it's male or female, how can you tell?) about 180mm long now and powering along.
Very flighty at times but you get that with the liechardti!

Also have a silver perch in with her which I bought as a fingerling being told it was a bass. Oh well, I don't mind the silvers.

Cheers, Jeff.

bdowdy
16-06-2008, 02:59 PM
nice toga jeff,cheers bdowdy..brett

Cammy
16-06-2008, 03:52 PM
Awsome lei you got there,

I was told that you cant tell the sex of a saratoga until it reaches about 5 years old, and apparently you have to probe it like snakes. I asked the same question on another forum and got this answer.

Cammo

Breambuster33
16-06-2008, 04:47 PM
beautiful saratoga geoff.
growing up nicely

Cammy
16-06-2008, 09:07 PM
jsut some shots of loophole's 4ft tank with plants in it. It got stocked the other day, he has bream bass and scats in it atm, all from his 6ft tank. He will have better pics tomorrow hopefully!;D

loophole
16-06-2008, 09:17 PM
cheers cammy i will get some beter pics tomoro

Cammy
17-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Here are the other pics,

Also some pics of reece's new car WHAT A BEAST!!!!:o

Cammo

whiting-wizard
17-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Nice tank mate its just like mine;D

loophole
17-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Nice tank mate its just like mine;D

Yeah ive had that tank and stand and everything for about 8 years now, ive set it up in my room with bream and bass in it i love watching the bream eat the lil feeders i put in.:)

whiting-wizard
17-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Nice yeah ive got mine in my room to.
I love watching the barra swimming around while im lying in bed;D

Poodroo
17-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Jeff are you sure you have a Liechardti Saratoga? In the photos I am thinking it looks more like a Jardini but it is hard to tell in the photos. Could tell for sure in a split second if I saw it in person but it does look darker and more like a Jardini saratoga to me which is not necessarily a bad thing, I reckon they are nicer personally.

Cammy when I get back into the industry (officially start Monday 23rd) I am planning to set up a 3foot planted aquarium but doing it sparing no expenses. Will be running substrate fertilizers, CO2, liquid fertilizers, either metal hallide or mercury vapour lighting etc etc. Will eventually send some photos of it when it happens.

Poodroo

cbs
18-06-2008, 07:22 AM
I know its not a fish, but there is more to aquariums than fish......

Another pic.

Cammy
18-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Jeff are you sure you have a Liechardti Saratoga? In the photos I am thinking it looks more like a Jardini but it is hard to tell in the photos. Could tell for sure in a split second if I saw it in person but it does look darker and more like a Jardini saratoga to me which is not necessarily a bad thing, I reckon they are nicer personally.

Cammy when I get back into the industry (officially start Monday 23rd) I am planning to set up a 3foot planted aquarium but doing it sparing no expenses. Will be running substrate fertilizers, CO2, liquid fertilizers, either metal hallide or mercury vapour lighting etc etc. Will eventually send some photos of it when it happens.

Poodroo

Mate thats gonna be one stunning tank not to mention your gonna have top of the Range in Acc:o all you need is the ultimate display fish - Discus with Cardinal Tetras and about 10 Peppermint Bristlenose! that would be my selection in tropicals anyway, haha.

Cammo

Cammy
18-06-2008, 12:25 PM
I know its not a fish, but there is more to aquariums than fish......

Another pic.

There certainly is mate, and thats a nice piece of coral, what type is it??

cbs
18-06-2008, 12:46 PM
There certainly is mate, and thats a nice piece of coral, what type is it??

Its a green Staghorn Acropora sp. I grew it from a piece the size of a finger to a colony about 10 inches across over the last couple of years.

Very good water quality required....

Cammy
18-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Its a green Staghorn Acropora sp. I grew it from a piece the size of a finger to a colony about 10 inches across over the last couple of years.

Very good water quality required....

You must have brilliant water quality then ;D! or did you feed it roids?
Very nice piece of coral,

I have a question, im not very good with saltwater stuff, but at work we have this display tank with coral in it and there 2 Big live rocks with looks like purple flowers on it, sorta like purple pancakes And there is alot of em!.

Do you know what this is called? If you can even understand what i said lol:P

Cammo

Mark Malcolm
18-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Hey Guys,

I have a 5ft tank (just tank and hood/cabinet not yet set up) and am wanting to put Bream in it and have a question about the salinity of the water. Do you run tanks with Bream in it as pure fresh with no salt added or do you add a certain level of salt in the Tank to immitate brackish water?

Sorry if it has already been mentioned in post.

Cheers,

Mark

Cammy
18-06-2008, 01:55 PM
Hey Guys,

I have a 5ft tank (just tank and hood/cabinet not yet set up) and am wanting to put Bream in it and have a question about the salinity of the water. Do you run tanks with Bream in it as pure fresh with no salt added or do you add a certain level of salt in the Tank to immitate brackish water?

Sorry if it has already been mentioned in post.

Cheers,

Mark

Through my experiences , bream can just live in freshwater but it couldnt hurt to add some salt into the tank, since everyfish benefits from it.

If you are going to add salt go by this rule

1 tablespoon per 20 litres..

or if you have plecos, bristlnose loaches and that kinda stuf do it

1 teaspoon per 20 litres..

There the rules i go by and it hasnt let me down. Some people may say different though. Also not that adding salt at that dose does not make the water brackish.

Cammo

cbs
18-06-2008, 02:07 PM
You must have brilliant water quality then ;D! or did you feed it roids?
Very nice piece of coral,

I have a question, im not very good with saltwater stuff, but at work we have this display tank with coral in it and there 2 Big live rocks with looks like purple flowers on it, sorta like purple pancakes And there is alot of em!.

Do you know what this is called? If you can even understand what i said lol:P

Cammo

No Roids here and no shop bought additives either. Waste of money imo. I only add calc and alk (if you know what that is)

I think you are describing coralimorphs (google it). Commonly called morphs or mushies. Can get them in any number of colours (or combination of). I have a few hundred (I guess) in my tank. bright Red, rusty red,blue/purple/hairy green and purple with yellow spots (seriously). Much easier to keep than the acro above.

ffejsmada
18-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Poodroo

Mate, I don't know, but I'd love to find out as I purchased it as a Liechardti.
It is very flighty, goes crazy when it's startled or someone goes close to the tank.

It has also jumped out of the tank a few months ago when I was cleaning it, no damage thankfully, it has settled down a bit now when I clean the tank, but it still has it's psycho trips pretty regularly.

I've been trying to find pictures of both species so I can compare but haven't found any real good ones to compare each other against.

Jeff.

Pistol_P
18-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Toga looks awesome Jeff,

mmm I think I might have to get a tank going again.

Pete

Cammy
18-06-2008, 03:38 PM
yer mate thats them, i will try to remeber what they are, since some off them broke off and i reattached it to the rock again and i wa slike whoa it actually worked lol had me facinated.

Jeff im 99% sure that ur toga is a Lei, lei's r more slender and lighter in colour, and there heads r more pointier than jars. Lei's colors on the scales r 2 dots on each scale when they get bigger. And some othe points but im a in a bit of a rush.

Cammo

Mark Malcolm
18-06-2008, 05:20 PM
[quote=Cammy;843668]Through my experiences , bream can just live in freshwater but it couldnt hurt to add some salt into the tank, since everyfish benefits from it.

There the rules i go by and it hasnt let me down. Some people may say different though. Also not that adding salt at that dose does not make the water brackish.

Cammo[/quote

Cheers for that, do you see any problem in having Bass/Silver Perch/Golden Perch and Bream in the same tank (providing they are about the same size) and do the fresh species have any problem with addition of a small amount of salts?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Poodroo
18-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Mate thats gonna be one stunning tank not to mention your gonna have top of the Range in Acc:o all you need is the ultimate display fish - Discus with Cardinal Tetras and about 10 Peppermint Bristlenose! that would be my selection in tropicals anyway, haha.

Cammo

I used to breed discus. They do tend to eat the cardinals unfortunately. In a three foot tank I was going to probably put about 200 cardinals in it with a few clown loaches for the bottom.

Poodroo

Poodroo
18-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Mate, I don't know, but I'd love to find out as I purchased it as a Liechardti.
It is very flighty, goes crazy when it's startled or someone goes close to the tank.

It has also jumped out of the tank a few months ago when I was cleaning it, no damage thankfully, it has settled down a bit now when I clean the tank, but it still has it's psycho trips pretty regularly.

I've been trying to find pictures of both species so I can compare but haven't found any real good ones to compare each other against.

Jeff.

Not the greatest of photos but at least you can pick the difference between them.
Yours is hard to identify in your photos but I am tending to think it is a Leichardti after all. It just had me fooled because the colouration was darker in the photos.

Leichardti Saratoga
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t315/Poodroo/sara08.jpg

Jardini Saratoga
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t315/Poodroo/p9050001fq3.jpg

Poodroo

Cammy
18-06-2008, 07:34 PM
[quote=Cammy;843668]Through my experiences , bream can just live in freshwater but it couldnt hurt to add some salt into the tank, since everyfish benefits from it.

Cammo[/quote

Cheers for that, do you see any problem in having Bass/Silver Perch/Golden Perch and Bream in the same tank (providing they are about the same size) and do the fresh species have any problem with addition of a small amount of salts?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Hey, sorry i forgot to add the "e" in the last sentence on the word "not".::)

That sounds like an allright mix right there, shouldnt be a problem, but keep an eye on the silver perch. Nah the freshwater species dont mind the salt, just keep it to 1tablespoon per 20 litres every water change and they'll be fine. Salt also helps with wounds on your fish, say your fish were fighting and one lost a couple of scales and there was a gash in the fish, chuck some salt in and it will be fine.;)

Cammo

loophole
18-06-2008, 08:29 PM
[/quote

Thanks in advance.

Mark[/quote]

hey Mark ive gone buy the same rule as cammy has ive put 1 tablespoon to 20l of water. And in my 4ft i have bream and bass aswell as rainbows and sordys from the local creek they havent suffered from the introduction of salt.

Ok with the bream we have caught legal 23cm ones and converted them by taking them home in a buckett of creek water then slowly adding a bit of tank water, to get the "FRESH" into it and raise the temp up to the same as the tank.
It is alot easier because where we catch the bream it is Brackish. also its alot easier to convert smaller ones then bigger ones.

Good luck.

brisryan
22-06-2008, 10:46 AM
Hi guys.

nice pics!. i have a 4ft tank in my lounge, pic is below...

these species live inside:
5x silver dollars
5x silver sharks
5x clown loaches
2x adult red top zebras
12x baby red top zebras
5x tiger barbs
5x moss barbs
1-2x albino barbs
3x angle fish
lots of snails :-)

http://www.maxfonts.com/fishtank/P1010073.JPG

Cammy
22-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Nice mix of fish there mate!, how do they all get along? do the barbs fight at all?

brisryan
22-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Nice mix of fish there mate!, how do they all get along? do the barbs

fight at all?

Hi Cammy

The barbs are probably the most aggressive fish in the tank... they have established a pecking order and there is a few barbs I have nick-named "Helicopter" due to there fins being half eaten off.

originally there were 15 barbs; 3-4 of the albino barbs are now dead + a couple are in bad shape...because there are so many barbs they mostly chase each other around and leave the rest of there tank mates alone..

all the other fish are very friendly and they all get along great.. because the loaches have the strangest sleeping habbits they are probably my favourate... i thought one was dead when i first saw it...

pic from google of a sleeping clown loach:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1236/809288231_52cf7b8f00.jpg

Cammy
22-06-2008, 09:14 PM
lol yer mate, first time i saw that happen with one of mine i was liek fretting!

might need to stock up on barbs soon??

Cammo

Little grey men
23-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Makes me angry when my clowns do that. Idiot fish. >:(

Cammy
29-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Hey peeps,

Im getting my new tank on tuesday so im gonna take heaps of pics.
Also to let you know there are some scats for sale, cheap as.

Cammo

Matheson
30-06-2008, 06:03 PM
I built a 5 foot tank from 8mm laminated glass left over at a building site I worked on. I originally filled it with salt water which I bucketed from the Wellington Point. 500+ litres was 5 trips with 5 x 20litre buckets a trip. I also made the mistake of using sand from Wellington Point which is also full of the Redlands area red dirt. An over the lip protein skimmer completed my budget set-up. I used to keep fish which I caught around Peel Island in it with limited success. The longest lasting tenants were a little sand crab which lasted long enough to change it'e shell twice and a little morwong which lasted a bit more then a year. It is now a conventional tank with mostly tetras but the kids (now all grown) got some good education in our local fish habits while it was a marine tank

Matho

ffejsmada
01-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Not the greatest of photos but at least you can pick the difference between them.
Yours is hard to identify in your photos but I am tending to think it is a Leichardti after all. It just had me fooled because the colouration was darker in the photos.

Leichardti Saratoga
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t315/Poodroo/sara08.jpg

Jardini Saratoga
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t315/Poodroo/p9050001fq3.jpg

Poodroo

Thanks for that Andrew, definitely a Lei. Cheers.

Cammy
08-07-2008, 11:34 PM
Ok nothing exciting for you guys, but for me it is;D . Some pics of the new tank and stand, the stand is halfway being varnished cause i ran out, just to remind you this tank is 3x2x2.

I need to finish varnishing tmro arvo, go fishing at 4 come home at like 7 or 8 and put the tank on the stand,start draining the previous 3 ft to the new one, half fill the new tank, move the old 3ft out of the way and put my new 3ft in its place and then, Get the gravel,plants, ornaments and the fish and put them in the new tank, completly drain old tank into new tank, top up new tank with new water. Go to sleep, get up go to work until 8, come home wash out old tank so i can put my lizards in it, go to sleep. Get up clean old tank even more, and move it into my room, but i have to clean my room before i do that:(, so clean room then move tank in. Finally i will be done, but with mum sick in bed with a really nasty flu, and since i only have one parent i am limited to where i can go, so i probs wont even go fishing tmro. So it could set back this whole process, and that will be bad because mum is holding a jewllery party on saturday, and im converting my tank and stuff in the main room where she is holding it, so i gotta have it all done so she can have a party. So im on a time limit thing lol

And if you couldnt tell im really bloody bored!!!! so i decided to tell you my plan;D

Theres just some shots of me toga and bullrouts and stuff. Yes i still have the old crappy camera>:( ::)

Braddles
09-07-2008, 12:07 AM
Here is my new(ish) Marine Nano Tank.

(Sorry about the pic quality - they were taken with my phone's camera).

Every day I discover new marine life, such as star fish, baby sea cucumbers and erchins, baby yellow coral goby etc. I love it!

I think I may have double posted some pics sorry - not really sure what I am doing lol...

Some may be of my fresh water tanks too.

Cammy
09-07-2008, 12:41 AM
WOW! nice lookin marine tank there mate :O.

Spectacular!

Cammy