PDA

View Full Version : Big Spin Reel (with Grunt)?

Cheech
07-04-2008, 02:10 PM
I have been looking around for a while now for a big spin for bottom bashing (60 - 100m). At the moment I have an epix 80, but I think it is only a matter of time before I kill it. It is good though because it is not that heavy, has good line recovery, and I have teh baitrunner version. If I could get the same in a Shimano with a decent handle I would be very happy. Without having to spend a grand on a stella 20000.

Have been considering the Spheros in either 12000 or 14000. If I went one then I would probably go the 12000 as I only plan on puting on 300m of 50lb braid so do not need the extra line capacity of the 14000 ( pretty sure the spool is the only difference betwen them).

Also considered a 6500b baitrunner.

I want something around the size of these reels, but there is not a lot of choice in that size. Most of the Shimano ranges stop at 6000 or 8000 so not really suited to deep sea where i am after a winch.

I do not like the handles on the above mentioned reels as they are really small hand holds. Someone mentioned to me that you can get an upgrade on the speros and fit a big fat stella or sustain handle on them. Anyone know about doing this? what it would cost for the handle, and where I can get one.

I like the baitrunner so would be interensting to add a better handle to a 6500. Can this be done?

I do not want a really heavy reel, (rules out some of the other options such as the spinfishers).

Suggestions please.

Cheech

Spaniard_King
07-04-2008, 02:55 PM
CHeech, this is what ya want mate :) called a dogfighter

http://www.japantackle.com/Daiwa_reels/Daiwa_Saltiga_z_spin.htm

Tangles
07-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Cheech;

Been looking at this myself, With the baitrunner 6500 you can upgrade the handle and drag, check the shimano site out, i think its around $5.50 for each washer (x3) and around $90 for the Stella handle. Apparently its a wet drag upgrade but doesnt give you more drag, just smoother and will outlast what comes with it in the box. Their number is 02 9526 2144. ( Also will be upgrading the TLD handle like Chong reckoned;D)

Also worth having a look at the Emblem Pro 5500, big beefy reel as well ( $300 price range), picked one up recently and comes with two spools ( one ive loaded up with 50lb braid), bought it as an allrounder for Agnes but its more of a caster, great line recovery and seems to be popular with the rockfishing brigade so its pretty tough but would handle bottom bashing..

cheers
Mike

nigelr
07-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Have a look at a Penn Spinfisher 9500.
Very strong, great drag, big line capacity.
You could pick a superceded US-made model from Ebay USA, or buy the current Chinese-made series from your local tackle shop or mart.
Definitely worth a look, these reels have been around for a long time and are very popular. The current Chinese reels have been well reviewed by users, and are cheaper than the US-made model.
Cheers.

Blue_Escape
07-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Cheech,
IMHO the 14000 Spheros FA with extra bearing, stella handle and upgraded [carbontex] drag is hard to beat 'locally'. It's tough as nails (eg. can handle 80lb braid jigging longer than any other reel in it's class) sealed drag and 10yr warranty. You can buy the upgrade bits yourself http://www.bluewater.net.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_209_397&products_id=397 or Shimano will do it for you in the shop http://www.shimanofish.com.au/catalog/fish/products/accessories/accessory_group_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2 534374302054240&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181791&bmUID=1191564472552
The BTR 6500 would be second choice.

If you are happy to purchase overseas then the new upgraded Spheros FB should be available shortly http://www.tackledirect.com/shimano-sp14000fb-spheros-fb-spinning-reel.html or better still the new Saragosa http://shimano.fishing-store.us/shimano-srg14000f-saragosa-f-spinning-reel.html which is like a Spheros on steroids!

Cheers
Blue

metaloid
07-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Mate, the BaitRunner is hard to beat... but there is even better, the Thunnus! ;D http://www.tackledirect.com/shimano-thunnus.html

It's a bit pricier than the SpinFisher (another excellent reel) but it's a bait runner, so a lot more versatile.

I wouldn't use the Emblem (I have 2) for retrieving anything else than lures, the high retrieve ratio means less grunt, plus you'd probably snap the handle!:'(

Personally I have just bought a Penn Torque ;D ;D ;D for my bottom bashing, PLENTY of drag and good line retrieval rate, but of course it's an OH reel.

bayfisher
07-04-2008, 06:32 PM
The spheros is a great real for the money, however the saragosa is the updated version of the spheros, and they are now also available
http://www.tackledirect.com/shimano-saragosa-spinning-reels.html

Cheers Chris

mattooty
07-04-2008, 07:19 PM
You won't regret the upgraded spheros. I ,played with an upgraded one and hooked up to a 2.5m bully using 80lb jigmans braid and it was smooth as. I'm about to get the upgrade, they don't call it the sphella for nothing!

spears
07-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Here is the answer to your search.It will haul in 80-100bl tuna with smooth drag out of the box under $250 U.S.to your door.Trust me.Don’t worry about the expensive stuff this will handle any thing you give it..

http://www.quantumfishing.com/swreels/caboPTs_spinning.html

Cheech
08-04-2008, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the info. This is exactly what I am after. It will cost about the same as the spheros by the time you add the cost of the handle upgrade, and you get the better model. With the big handle already, I will not need to do an upgrade.

The specs between the 14000 and the 18000 are interesting. The 18000 is actually slightly lighter, but all other specs are the same. I wonder if it is only the spool that is different?

The weight is what I was looking for. It is a bit lighter than the spheros. And way prettier.

http://666kb.com/i/axlzy3ijit3q1y9o7.jpg

revs57
08-04-2008, 08:15 AM
G'day cheech,

i took a new 760 Penn Slammer to the Swains recently, not as bulky or as heavy as the spinfisher and more drag - 14kgs out of the box - over size main shaft - really tough thing - buy local for under $200 or us import for $129 plus postage ebay.

Luke monstered a 6ft shark in the was playing him like a large spaniard - didn't come up in the water column at all, long blistering runs, we were so disappointed to see the grey coat, but the slammer worked very nicely and the drag was smooth as

could be worth considering

cheers

rhys

reidy
08-04-2008, 04:14 PM
G'day cheech,

i took a new 760 Penn Slammer to the Swains recently, not as bulky or as heavy as the spinfisher and more drag - 14kgs out of the box - over size main shaft - really tough thing - buy local for under $200 or us import for $129 plus postage ebay.

Luke monstered a 6ft shark in the was playing him like a large spaniard - didn't come up in the water column at all, long blistering runs, we were so disappointed to see the grey coat, but the slammer worked very nicely and the drag was smooth as

could be worth considering

cheers

rhys
Good day Rhys,
Mate is your Big Boss still alive?
If so hows it going for Rotor wobble?
Been jigging with 120-170g knife/arrow jigs which to me are quite light but i feel she is starting to get a tad of movement in the rotor from lifting the above jigs.
Cheers Rhys
Reidy

Horse
08-04-2008, 04:14 PM
What about one of these?

[/URL]
Penn Slammer 760L Live Liner Reel

The Penn Slammer 760L Live Liner has the same great features as the Penn Slammer, but with the added benefit of a Live Liner drag, ideal for swimming live baits. The Penn 760L Live Liner is the perfect reel for anglers who prefer the ease of a spinning reel, but the practicality of a conventional reel. The Penn 760L Live Liner drag can be adjusted to control the drag tension, allowing anglers to fish various sized baits and maintain control over the bait, an essential factor when live-lining for various gamefish such as Striped Bass,[URL="javascript:changeImg('imgmainimg0',imgmainimg0larg e,document.getElementById('imgplaceholder'));"]http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/tackle_1996_990510 (javascript:changeImg('imgmainimg0',imgmainimg0lar ge,document.getElementById('imgplaceholder'));)

Bashir
08-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Cheech;

Been looking at this myself, With the baitrunner 6500 you can upgrade the handle and drag, check the shimano site out, i think its around $5.50 for each washer (x3) and around $90 for the Stella handle. Apparently its a wet drag upgrade but doesnt give you more drag, just smoother and will outlast what comes with it in the box. Their number is 02 9526 2144. ( Also will be upgrading the TLD handle like Chong reckoned;D)

Also worth having a look at the Emblem Pro 5500, big beefy reel as well ( $300 price range), picked one up recently and comes with two spools ( one ive loaded up with 50lb braid), bought it as an allrounder for Agnes but its more of a caster, great line recovery and seems to be popular with the rockfishing brigade so its pretty tough but would handle bottom bashing..

cheers
Mike
The emblem is a great reel but as a bottom basher it sucks. The handle flexes badly, as does the whole reel. Have used a mates quite a few times jigging up slimies in 90 fathoms and we broke it. I would go a spheros with the drag, bearing and stella handle upgrade.

Tangles
08-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the heads up Bashir, got it mainly for slugs, think ill pack it away as an allrounder

mike

bigboss
08-04-2008, 07:48 PM
for $100 bucks bigboss 9500 is a strong reel not the the smoothest reel but its landed me some good reds and ambos. I've heard of charter operators in WA that use them for jigging ambos and they last a year then they just through them out and buy new ones. considering previously they used saltigas and they where more than that to service.For 200 bucks I think that there is no reel out there like the daiwa sealine bull 6000 super strong and smooth as silk to use. I use 24kg low stretch on one spool and 80lb braid on the other.It will handle 50lb all day

Wear the fox hat
08-04-2008, 09:41 PM
Keep in mind that the Spheros has a worm drive instead of gears, making it a bit stronger than some of the others out there. Also have a good look at some of the Daiwa reels, as they are churning out some quality reels at the moment.

WTFH

revs57
08-04-2008, 10:39 PM
Yeah Reidy,

The big boss has a bit of head shake - very robust though - probably too heavy for what Cheech is chasing, but the one I took to the swains performed admirably. the carbontec drag is awesome and for a price range reel with a 5 year warranty to back the product - good value for money IMO like you said, couple of easons, if its dodgy take it back for inspection and replacement - The Jarvis Walker boys are dead set suporting their product - no questions.

cheers

rhys

Cheech
09-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Looks like thre are a lot of Penn fans out tehre. But I think I will go with Shimano. I really like the look of the saragona. Does anyone know if it also comes with the worm drive like the spheros. Or how I can find out.