PDA

View Full Version : Tohatsu ?????

evo001
07-04-2008, 09:58 AM
I'm looking at repowering my boat and one of the options is the Tohatsu.

However they are not that common in WA and no one I know has one on their boat.

The price is slightly cheaper (10%) than other DI outboards but I'm not sure the saving is in the short term as it could in the longer term reduce the resale price on the boat.

The O/B I'm looking at is the 90hp DI, I'm also told its basically an Optimax in disguise.

Any intelligent input would be appreciated.

Noelm
07-04-2008, 10:04 AM
some Tohatsu Motors are Mercs rebadged (or vice versa) BUT I don't think the 90 is an Optimax (but I could be wrong), and except for the "unkown quantity" of resale in your area, they are an excellent Motor, not all that common anywhere really, but, they are around all over the place, the Surf Clubs use a few, some Commercial Operators use them, so I guess it might come down to the fact that you save 10% at purchase, and loose 10% at resale (maybe) but if you keep it for years and years, then resale hardly comes into it!

FNQCairns
07-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Both those engines use the same DI technology (orbital) but that is the extent of the similarities I understand, the tohatsu 90 is a low torque engine compared to all other 90 di's out there so keep that in mind as it can matter greatly - for instance you could also buy a mariner 75hp old tech 2st and get more or less the same performance as the Tohatsu 90di or you could buy the Merc/Mariner 90hp DI or old tech and get blown away with it's performance compared to the Tohatsu....horses for courses.

cheers fnq

evo001
07-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Thanks guys, I didn't think I'd seen too many on my trips over there, I think I'll stick with the more mainstream brands.

Black Pig
07-04-2008, 08:32 PM
A dealer told me they were built by Nissan??? Don't know if that is just dealer bulls@#t or not.

reddybayfisher
07-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Check out :

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=124018&highlight=tohatsu

Has some other opinions on Toeys......

FNQCairns
07-04-2008, 08:39 PM
A dealer told me they were built by Nissan??? Don't know if that is just dealer bulls@#t or not.

yeah true and Nissan is owned by Renault, who know what a person turns the key on these days:)

cheers fnq

Noelm
08-04-2008, 08:12 AM
not exactly sure if they are built by Nissan, but in the US they are sold as a Nissan, maybe to get some sort of Marketing edge or something, who knows for sure, OR maybe they do have something to do with Nissan in Japan.