PDA

View Full Version : eating raw fish

johnny roger
07-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Hi,

as soon as you say 'eating raw fish' most people turn their noses up or call you stupid. well the way i've eaten raw fish is cut up the fillet into small peices. put it all into a bowl of white vinegar and slosh it around. now add heaps of ginger, cubed onions, corriander, and little cherry tomatos. slosh it all around, and stick it in the fridge for a couple of hours.
what's happening here is the fish is actually cooking. the vinegar being so acidic cooks it in no time.
travelly or snapper is the best to use. or mackeral.
perhaps some people may know of this reciepe as being called 'numus' i don't know the correct way to spell it.

Enjoy,
John

Bubba Gump
07-04-2008, 09:22 AM
In Fiji we have a traditional dish called kokoda which consists of -

raw fish cut up into cubes
coconut cream
lime juice
green/red pepper
cucumber
chilli (if you like it spicy)

You basically mix it all together and let it marinade/cook. Its my favorite dish and I grew up on the stuff!

BG

Noelm
07-04-2008, 09:30 AM
with all those added ingredients, it would taste the same without the Fish!

johnny roger
07-04-2008, 12:24 PM

coconut cream
lime juice
green/red pepper
cucumber

You basically mix it all together and let it marinade/cook. Its my favorite dish and I grew up on the stuff!

BG
hey bubba,
good to see that someone else like to eat something different. I was in the Philippines back along, and the locals there cook their fish whole after gutting it. we went fishing one time, and came back to the beach with a few fish. we lit a fire on the beach, and all they did was just throw the whole thing on the hot coals. skin and all. after it was cooked, you could just peel the skin off with your fingers, and underneath was yummy white flesh. just pick it off the bone as a nibble while sipping on a cold san miguel beer watching the sun go down!;D

Bubba Gump
08-04-2008, 12:37 AM
with all those added ingredients, it would taste the same without the Fish!

Looking at the ingredients in it you wouldn't think it was that nice, but I promise you it will become a favorite dish if you give it a go!

cbs
09-04-2008, 02:31 PM
I love kokoda. Mouthwatering stuff.

fish-n-dive
09-04-2008, 03:48 PM

coconut cream
lime juice
green/red pepper
cucumber

BG

I will be the first in line for raw fish..........I love it all!!;D;D8-)

Your recipe sounds nice but just a note: the lime juice actually cooks it!;)

disorderly
09-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Your recipe sounds nice but just a note: the lime juice actually cooks it!;)

yes,quite right....throughout the coastal regions of central and south america ceviche is a very popular dish where the fish or seafood is simply "cooked" in lemon or lime juice...absolutely delicious.

johnny roger....adding the vinegar actually pickles the fish so in reality it's not actually"raw" anymore but it sure is delicious....if you scroll down page 3 of recipes under the thread titled "namas" , I describe the mixture I use http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/wink.gif,but I also like a bit of ginger particular "sushi ginger 'which has already been pickled.

Noel ...dont knock it till you try it...the taste sensation is really quite awesome and a welcome change from the usual hot cooking methods.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

Scott

fish-n-dive
09-04-2008, 06:05 PM
"namas" Scott Namas = la-;)YUM!!!

Bill D
29-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the tip John.will try next time i catch some fish.

Chris_2184
26-05-2008, 08:41 PM
mate you can't go past a good 'sashimi'

best is using tuna however I've recently tried coral trout, and it works very well.

same again as with all 'raw' fish it must be sliced quite thinly

Prepare dipping sauce of: soysauce, lime/lemon juice, small amount of tomato sauce and wasabi (a must), combine ingedients and set aside.
Then what I do is prepare a dish of rice and serve on plate, the serve thinly sliced fish beside rice.
With chopsticks (optional) get a piece of fish and dip in dipping sauce for a few seconds then eat piece by piece along with rice.

yummo;)

MYS013
26-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Im a bit of a fan of sashimi myself... cant go past salmon and tuna but I have started to take a liking to kingfish, red emperor and snapper. Its nice to get the different textures. Im simple I just have it with some soy sayce and wasabi.

Leighton
26-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Snapper Civiche
Slice Snapper fillets ( Flathead an alternative ) paper thin
In a mortar and pestle bash up, the juice of 1 lime, 1 lemon, salt to taste, 4 parts coriander to 1 part mint,\ and a dash of fish sauce.
Lay fish slices on a plate and cover with the mix.
Cover the plate and into the fridge for an hour or 2

enjoy

nitroburner
27-05-2008, 03:07 AM
yep raw fish is the bomb , love it . Had atlantic salmon not long ago sashimi style , awesome . Didnt even bother about the soy or wasabi .

PNG1M
17-01-2009, 03:04 AM
Hey Johnny R,

The first time I ate raw fish and enjoyed it, it was prepared in a similar way to what you said. The fish was actually "blackfish fillets" cut up into small pieces.

They were left overnight in the fridge in a bowl of white vineger, mixed herbs (straight out of the shaker) and some thinly sliced onion pieces.

It was really great! I went to the shop later on, thinking to upgrade from blackfish to atlantic salmon. The fillets cost me a fortune & ended up tasting nowhere as good as the blackfish!

I haven't prepared raw fish for a while now but this thread has inspired me to give it another go. I think I'll try some Nile Perch or maybe hamour (cod)

Blackened
18-01-2009, 05:47 PM
G'day

Bubba, that sounds awesome, will be trying it soon

Dave

onerabbit
20-01-2009, 08:58 PM
What's all this talk of vinegar & other stuff, thin sliced etc,

I saw a show years ago with Malcom..........cant remember his last (wirey bearded guy, Turnbull???), he just cut a chunk off a fresh Trevor & munched it down..........& said it was sweet & delicious..........

I was so impressed that I had to give it a go,

how about you guys have a go of raw fish at the cutting table, with no condiments, BLOODY BEAUTIFUL, yeah may be a bit chewy, but is sweeter than I thought it would be.............

These days I dont have a problem at all with a taste of "fresh" raw fish, well known to have a feed at the tables.

then again, maybe I have lived in the bush too long............(nothing wrong with a fresh rock eel in the coals either).

Muzz

Timfishin4fun
01-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Another quick sauce for the sashimi is soy sauce mixed with a little seasame seed oil.

Love it lots MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Timbo

deepfried
02-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Big fan here as well. Many a kingie has been eaten raw in this house and my six year old son is probably the biggest culprit. Will try some done as suggested above. We will happily sashimi trevally, any tuna exc Mack and Inc bonito, Kingies etc.

blackjew
12-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Mate just whip a fillet of a freshy caught fish out at sea dip some thin slices in the drink and down the hatch mmmmmmmmm ,but you cant beat anyfish raw with a dash of light soy a few drops of tabasco,some thin slices of ginger wave the fish through the soy and ginger and munch it was it down with a beer or 6 .As soon as you add acid lemmons,limes ,or any citrus,or vinegar it starts to cook .Use to work on the Tuna farms down south been spoilt rotten with sashimi.mmmmmmmm THANKS FOR THE FIGI recipe going to try that one for sure .
Cheers Rob

Blythy
12-09-2011, 07:46 PM
yeah definitely one of my favourite dishes, used to take out lemons, chilli, celery, and tomatoes out to the reef when we did overnight trips to use with any trevs that got in the way of the real reefies. Just a note though, you should use the shoulder block and avoid the areas surrounding the stomach cavity, there are some really scary critters that burrow their way into the surrounding flesh once a fish dies, and an infect humans.
Happy chewing

deepfried
25-09-2011, 07:10 PM

coconut cream
lime juice
green/red pepper
cucumber

BG

Just tried this minus the cucumber and loved it. It will become a favorite summer meal for sure.

rexgrunt
25-09-2011, 08:00 PM
nothinglike sushimi with a bit a of pickled ginger :drool

Ausfish
07-12-2011, 11:38 AM
Kokoda is fine, use it with Mackerel, but hard tro go past raw fish dipped in Soy Sauce with Wasabi mixed through it. Prefer Salmon or Tuna, although most fish is fine. If you like, add a bit of pickled ginger, I prefer the pink looking stuff, not the one they have at Sushi Train. I find it a bit too sweet.

If you are looking for similar Kokoda recipes try searching for Kokonda as well. It is pronounced Kokonda but spelt Kokoda. Just like Nadi is pronounced Nandi but spelt Nadi. At least that is what we were told when we were over there.

BillyT2382
10-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Hahahaha they all sound very different and maybe appealing to others...lmao
But the one from deepfried and fish-n-dive sounds pretty kool what you call it the "Kokoda" from fiji?
Well here's a raw fish recipe that would probably come close maybe even better as it is a Polynesian dish..
ok you need nice pieces of your favourite fish fillets ie: Snapper, Red Emp's, Kingi's etc
1 or 2 Tomato's
1 or 2 Shallots or Spring onion's
1 tin of Coconut Cream (not milk)
mixing bowl with lid or cling wrap

Then you need to dice your fish and place into a bowl preferrably one with a lid,
squeeze 1 or 2 lemons over your diced fish and mix it all together,
then you need to add to that.. 1 or 2 diced tomato's, 2 chopped shallots or spring onions
and mix all ingredients,Then add the coconut cream
then you need salt and pepper to taste,
Then either wrap or place lid on to your bowl and store in a cool place ie: Esky with ice if on a boat, Fridge this is to let it set and marinate
for about half hour to and hour, Then its ready great to eat on its own or with BBQ

Noelm
13-01-2012, 12:18 PM
you cant beat anyfish raw with a dash of light soy a few drops of tabasco,some thin slices of ginger wave the fish through the soy and ginger and munch it was it down with a beer or 6
I would think with all those ingredients, eating a photo of a fish would taste the same!