PDA

View Full Version : Melaluka reels and ebay braid

whiting-wizard
06-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Hello

Ive been interested in the melaluka reels and some braid on ebay i just need some info if there good or not.

Cheers
Whiting-wizard

tossie
06-04-2008, 08:08 PM
QFM had a write up on ebay reels in the last couple of months. It didn't read to well for the reels. I am not sure about the braid. I suppose its the old saying you get what you pay for.

aussiefool
06-04-2008, 11:21 PM
G'day mate I have been using one of these for over 12 mths now with out any trouble
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Bluewater-Fishing-BWF70L-E-Series-Spinning-Reel_W0QQitemZ220220512318QQihZ012QQcategoryZ36164 QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem ;D (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Bluewater-Fishing-BWF70L-E-Series-Spinning-Reel_W0QQitemZ220220512318QQihZ012QQcategoryZ36164 QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem)
I fish for Jew and Tailor off the rocks and handles it well.The only thing I do to "Look" ::)after the reel is about once a mth I hose it down with fresh water and then only if it has been hit with a few waves.and only once have I opened it up to squirt some oil into the guts and then only because it was sounding dry when I was winding . The line that comes with it is crap and I like to use this braid
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Melaluka-300m-15lbs-Grey-Platinum-Braid-100-Dyneema_W0QQitemZ130212167867QQihZ003QQcategoryZ31 706QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Hope this helps
Aussiefool
Andrew

Breambuster33
07-04-2008, 07:42 AM
i just bought one my self...
look absolutly great not to sure about mechanical side,
but i spose your not losing much money if it does break
cheers

reddybayfisher
07-04-2008, 07:45 AM
I have purchased a fair few fishings bits and pieces of ebay......from my experience the Bluewater reels and braid are excellent and have not let me down yet.....I will not buy another cheap rod from ebay again....as someone said you get what you pay for - I will only buy rods from actual fishing stores from now on - so I can see and feel the quality....

plaztix
07-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Most of the cheaper reels and rods just feel horrible but if thats not important and If you are happy to tighten the handle shaft nut every few casts and accept the fact that it may fail when you are fighting a fish, go for it. :P

It does depend on what sort of fish you are planning to target though.

I have heard of people buying cheap reels to target pelagics but i would be devastated if i lost a good mackeral or tuna to gear failure. If you are targeting whiting, bream, flatties etc., all good, if it fails you can probably hand line it in.::)

i got some melaluka 30lb braid for targeting sharks in the brissie river and it is very strong, but is not the thinnest of 30lb braids. Haven't caught a fish angry enough to test it though.:-/ ;D

I also got a cheap ($20 delivered) 2 piece graphite rod 1 - 3kg that stays in my work ute for quick flicks when i happen to end up near the water at lunch time;);) Was OK and did the trick for 8 -12 months but the punishment it gets behind the seat caused it to lose the ceramic out of one of the guides.

reidy
07-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Its a game of hit and miss,some good some very very bad.
own a couple of half reasonable x brand smaller reels on the bay with an E BWK2000 and a kAMA4000 alloy bodied carbon drag washered spinning reels but have had some poor braid/rope come my way.Have a spool of 10lb that is as thick as some leading brands 30lb,Have had some 12lb that just kept on fraying,and some more that losts its colour after a couple of uses.
Have given up on cheap bay braid,to many misses not enough hits.
Cheers
Reidy

oldsalty
07-04-2008, 03:24 PM
G'day,

I have bought a plethora of fishing gear from eb@y over the past 2 years and to date have only had one purchase that I was dissapointed with.......
Unfortunately for you WW, it was this Melaluka reel.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-Melaluka-JP300-Premium-Blue-Game-Fishing-Reel_W0QQitemZ180230256782QQihZ008QQcategoryZ36163 QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

The reels look great in the picture, but when you get them in person, they just feel cheap. Performance wise, it is o.k, although i'm waiting to see how it handles with a fish thats got a bit of toe.

I normally buy shimano/diawa gear of Eb@y so have not had a problem because you know the brand.

As everyone has said - you get what you pay for

Dave

Alex The Angler
07-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Anyone tried the Melauka YN3000 9BB premium reel? If so what do you think?

BR65
07-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Hello

Ive been interested in the melaluka reels and some braid on ebay i just need some info if there good or not.

Cheers
Whiting-wizard

mate, dont do it , buy cheap get cheap.
Save your coin and buy gear that you know will go the distance, cheap rubbish is exactly that, rubbish, will only let you down when you need it the most and it will be another story of the big un lost cause the "line snapped" or "the reel seized"
cheers
brian

Benny69
07-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Mate I brought a overhead reel off ebay a year ago. All I do is rinse it well after each use and lube occasionally. So far it's caught a cod, a 65cm Barra and a 90cm queeny that really put it to the test on 35 lb line. I've found that it isnt quite as smooth as my abu but for the $20 or so I paid for it it's ok. Like a lot of ebay it's a bit of luck of the draw. Hope that helps mate

reidy
08-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Hi Alex,
Mate go with the Alivo.
Cheers
Reidy

martinies
08-04-2008, 04:54 PM

I've used the reel on my spare rod and overall, it's ok for what it is. I've caught a lot of breams, flaties and whiting. The drag sounds a bit dry on first outing, however after a spray of lube, its all good.

Alex The Angler
08-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Hi Alex,
Mate go with the Alivo.
Cheers
Reidy

I will go with the Alivio, just wondered if they were any good.

bigboss
08-04-2008, 06:51 PM
I have purchased a quite few reels and braid in ebay. with one of the bait runners it has landed me my biggest snapper 8.5kg, 6 to 7kg lippers couple of cod near 10kg and I paid 40 bucks for it. the other reels I havn't used much. Ihave bought alot braid and they have worked good They have even snapped a 30kg rodfrom the shop. I have a friend who bought all of this special braid for jigging from the shops (jigman etc) turned out to be total crap. I have bought some great mono and have done some stress testing on them and are better than some of the bigger name brands. I have bought trolling lures for three bucks and cought wahoo,dollies and tuna on them. These lures actually outfished $40 to$70 lures dunno why but I bought more.On the other hand there is alot of crap out there ,you just have to be carefull.Another thing all the reels I have bought I have had to modify the drags to be smoother and stonger.

spears
10-04-2008, 12:12 PM
These reels will work but to what extent can they handle a big fish is only known when the runs are there at the time.

It will depend on the model and type you choose.
I had bought some for novice fishers that come on the boat that have not got the right reel for that day until now they have not had the chance to catch anything big,As I don’t want to hand some one a $400 rods/reels and watch it slide over the side into the drink.If one breaks then i throw it in the bin,no big loss.

I did find that the gears may have no grease on them.Once I greased them up they were smoother and quieter..
As I said they are OK if you just need a cheap reel or rod.

You might be better of to buy a cheap reel from your tackle store and if it fails in the first 12 months it will be covered under warranty,easier that having the send the ebay reel/rod back in the post..