PDA

View Full Version : week at 1770

ballsie
06-04-2008, 07:50 PM
G'day folks,
Ive just returned from a week away for a fishing trip up at 1770. three crews were up for the trip, myself and two mates in my 18 ft reef ranger, two aboard a 560 bar crusher and two aboard 550 mako. Arrived at our house on saturday lunch and decided to make the most of flat conditions so we loaded up for an overnighter at fitzroy. this was the first trip for me in the new boat and i was very excited to get it on the water. we ended up putting 20 hrs and 460 klms on the boat over the week.
we fished around fitzroy at first light and reached 22 red throat and twelve trout through the day. While floating down in 30m i did manage a thumb print removing wahoo grabbing my pillie. Just fishing 40 lb shogun without any leader i had to do a bit of work with the boat, landing about a 15kg fish in ten minutes. we then moved outside and fished some 60m ground and scored a nice red going around 11kgs. so getting the red bug started for the trip we travelled inside of the reefs and fished some great red country in about 40m. firstly only pulling three cobia going 8 to 15 kgs. We found some great shows and couldn't get many legals to bite, but i new they were there. i ended up raising another two legals, one about 8kg's and one going 6kgs. fishing big slimies and mullet as the order of the day.
With depleting ice stocks and enough fish it was time to head in and have a bloody hot shower.
After cleaning the fish the weather was pretty windy, so we hung up the rods and got out the boards for a wave at agnes. a few days off the water was good but we were all itching for another trip. oh yes they were looking down on us and thursday opened up flat. We fished inside of boult reef first of all, really i was wanting to have a day chasing a red for my two deckies to boat there first legal reds ever. We drifted over makrs that we found on the firsyt trip and were once again bringing unders to the boat, patience i kept saying... patience. And it wasn't long before greg was hooked up on his first legal red, a nice fish going about 8kgs, i was stoked even more so when he snagged another 20 mins later this one just legal. we persisted looking around and ended up with just four, but hey it its march after all. but while fishing thisd ground we also scored some parrot, and four great trout around 4kgs. also a mixture of maori cod and hussar.
We then fished some deeper water a bump that went from 70- 90m pulling a legal red, a spangled, parrot and cod again. after that session our backs were flogged. we had an early night in the lagoon. with te weather turnig pear shape by ten we fished early around fitzroy to get some trout and red throat. it was all going well until the wind hit us at 7am, yep 20 to 25 Sw winds all the way home from fitzroy. Four hours later and 65ks travelled three fishos pulled in the creek with our tails between our legs. we got home cleaned our fish and went to the pub to celebrate a great trip away. With a few sore heads we headed back to brisbane on saturday all safe and well.

Ballsie

lethal098
06-04-2008, 08:02 PM
congrats guys sounds like a great trip, always hurts cmoing home in heavy winds especially from fitzroy. well done

Ratman
06-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Great report Ballsie...bloody rippa trip.

Mick

scoota
06-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Gidday Ballsie, great report there mate:thumbup: and quality fish!

Only 12 more sleeps and we will be at 1770 praying for the weather and opportunity you got. Would love to see my long time fishin buddy on his first legal red like your deckies.

Any advice ya have on fishing out of 1770 would be much appreciated8-)

Scoota....

BR65
06-04-2008, 08:50 PM
sounds like a typical 1770 trip, red hot fishing, bloody wind and time at the pub at agnes, great stuff mate
cheers
brian

revs57
07-04-2008, 07:07 AM
Great report Ballsie,
Excellent to see you all got among them. Those red fish are rippa's hey? We're hoping to do a 1770 trip later this year, maybe August/September. New boat mate? You won't know yourself out of the weather in the comfort of a cuddy - the ranger always stuck me as a very seaworth and dry boat - what is she powered with? Have to tag up for a trip
Cheers

Rhys

Spaniard_King
07-04-2008, 07:55 AM
Great report Ballsie,

what sort of fuel usage for an overnighter out there?

The fishing sure looked worth the effort.. Ya freezer must be chokers :)

ballsie
07-04-2008, 08:46 AM
Rhys, how are ya mate. Finally got rid of the old centre console and i think anything would have been dry compared to that. Its got an 06 150 hp yammy 2 stroke. Its now got 67 hrs. It ran very well, but i'm not totally happy with it. The motor itself would not rev out reaching only 5000rpm's and wasn't planing until 3600 rpm's so i think i'll be playing with some props before the fraser comp. Its a pity your not coming up, as I'm staying with olives and cheese.

Garry, with all that in mind it was running about 1k per litre which i thought was a touch poor. we did trips of 230 ks and then 220ks. so it depends on your weather and your fuel consumption. we used fifty litres more heading home in crap weather than normal over 65klms home from fitzroy. We were carrying 300 litres to be sure.
ballsie

Reel Magic
07-04-2008, 02:04 PM
G'day Ben,

Top report mate, glad you had a good week in the new rig, good luck with Fraser.
Cheers Ryan.

Dantren
07-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Hey Ballsie,

Where do you stay when you go to 1770?

Can you recommend a boat friendly rental house over weekly period?

Thanks, Dan.

snapperm8
07-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Looks like a top week mate and some great fish in there.

cheers dave

ballsie
07-04-2008, 09:41 PM
dantren we stayed at a house that sleeps 7 called blue haven, this was rented through beaches at 1770 realty. Elise looked after us. they look after rentals up there. we had room for three boats up there but no more.

skipalong
08-04-2008, 07:14 AM
excellent quality fish fellas

Bull Shark
08-04-2008, 04:23 PM
Hi Ballsie,

We saw you going out on one of the days we were their too......well I think it was you guys as we saw a Bar crusher and what looks like the boat in the back of one of your pics. How was the longtail action - we struggled to go past them, then we explored some wrecks and other marks given to us and WOW.... Great place.

Popping Jiggin it all works and works well, you caught some great fish well done.

We only spent 4 days and will be back at the next oppertunity; a week would have been great.

You do have to watch those arvo storms at this time of the year though it can be a long way back if your not watching that weather ah. As you could guess it was our first time their but I got a few marks off some regular blokes now so next time will be a cracker.

Cheers

Peter

JayT
10-04-2008, 07:55 AM
Hey Ballsie,
Sounds like you scored a few, top work:)

Was just on the phone to my bro who works on a boat up there com. fishing an crabbing an he said that he met you in the pub and had a chat, they were the guys you were talking to over the radio that said they would lend a hand if you had any dramas with that crappy weather;)

Just goes to show its a small world an its good to know that fellow fisho's will pull together if the need arises8-)

Great to hear you guys had a good trip an I may see you up there one day
Cheers Thorpy

ballsie
10-04-2008, 11:39 AM
mate there nothing better than a bit of reassurance from someone on the water in a bigger boat. had a good yarn with them over a few rumbos later, pity i couldn;t find them earlier to hand over the fish frames.