PDA

View Full Version : help .....gear selector seized

ozrick
06-04-2008, 06:32 PM
Just brought a nice little 35 horse evinrude and the gear selector was seized....i managed to free it up a bit and click her into forward and reverse but its still way too stiff and wont free up...
so was wondering am i going to have to pull the motor apart to free it up....any help would be much appreciated

Spaniard_King
06-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Rick

What model 35?? Is it an Elan?? A lot depends on this!

ozrick
07-04-2008, 07:43 AM
Don't know what an Elan is/means......Its a 1980 model i think (E35ECSM)

Spaniard_King
07-04-2008, 07:49 AM
Rick,

An Elan is a late model 35.

Basically that model may have 2 grease nipples 1 up the center of the shift handle shaft or 1 on top of the bush housing the shift shaft (viewed from inside the cowling) have you been able to get grease into any of these?

The other option is to get yourself a hot air gun ($20 from bunnings) and heat the Alluminium bush area around where the shift handle is (heat the ally only) once you get it hot try moving the handle then get some lubrication ..ie wd40 in around there.. a good chance the grease has gone hard and seized the handle/shaft.

Noelm
07-04-2008, 08:52 AM
I guess also you need to determine if it is the selector that is stuck, or the gearbox end (unlikely though) can you easily disconnect the lever from the linkage so you can manualy engage gears to see which bit is stuck?

ozrick
07-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Rick,

An Elan is a late model 35.

Basically that model may have 2 grease nipples 1 up the center of the shift handle shaft or 1 on top of the bush housing the shift shaft (viewed from inside the cowling) have you been able to get grease into any of these?

The other option is to get yourself a hot air gun ($20 from bunnings) and heat the Alluminium bush area around where the shift handle is (heat the ally only) once you get it hot try moving the handle then get some lubrication ..ie wd40 in around there.. a good chance the grease has gone hard and seized the handle/shaft.

Thanks Garry.....it worked an absolute treat
I actually used a small pencil gas torch to heat the area up to get her moving then took out the grease nipple and used a syringe to inject some penetrene down in there ....put the grease nipple back on and used the pressure of the grease gun to force it in there ....freed it up beautiful
Thanks again ...:)

Noelm
07-04-2008, 02:09 PM
make sure you use ONLY Marine Grease, any plain old grease (even Waterproof) will just go hard and dry out causing the problem again, now is the chance to fix it properly.

ozrick
07-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks Noelm
I used mollybond grease ...that coppery colored stuff.....was all i had lying around besides normal grease