PDA

View Full Version : On the Norval @ the Swains 28/3 – 5/4 2008

revs57
06-04-2008, 03:22 PM
I was privileged to be invited by and old friend to join their party for a trip to the Swains on the good ship Norval, owned and skippered by Scotty Wilson (and his bride Soozie) with his deckie Marty. With the weather being so crapola since before Christmas I was really ready for some serious fishing and as the date approached, regular visits to seabreeze confirmed we would have good weather – finally!!!

As it turned out, there had been a couple of blokes pull out at the last moment (boy, didn’t they miss out!) which meant my eldest, Luke, was able to come too so that was a real bonus.

So the crew for the trip - my old mon ami’s Chambo, Brad and Schultzy and Nick with his boy Joey, my young fella Luke and I.

As we pulled out of Gladstone harbour we were greeted with a small swell and gentle breeze. It looked like a great night for a 12 hr cruise @ 9knts. So after setting up our gear ready for an early drop in 70 mts we all hit the sack. The Capricorn channel can be a real nasty piece of work but that night it set about a gentle rock that lulled us all into slumber land.

We awoke to a lovely cooked breakfast that set the tone for the tucker for the rest of the week. Now Scotty may be butt ugly, but the boy can cook! So now with the interior satisfied, we hope the fish would be on the chew.

First drop and young Joey is into his first fish, lands his first ever legal red! Now that’s a pretty tall benchmark for the rest of us to follow. Luke nearly got his first legal Red landing a fish that was 1cm under – bummer- back she goes, and we’re off to a flyer. That first frenzied session saw a few more quality fish boated in no time then they shut down.

We moved on into 40 mts and out came the nuclear chicken – well, we slaughtered the rest, boating more fish with the chooks than the rest of the smellypoofterbaitfisho’s put together…and quality fish too, good trout, solid lipper even got the skipper in. Scotty had seen the SP’s before but never had anyone do any good. He couldn’t believe the success I was having (mind you I was pretty impressed too). I saw 6 packs of chooks disappear in no time – fortunately I had plenty, but decided to change colours and use the remaining baits in other colour packs that I had not finished. It didn’t seem to bother the fish at all with good specimines of lipper and trouties coming in off Chartreuse neon pepper, blue neon pepper and pearl white.

We ended up with more fish in one session than Brad had seen in a whole recent trip with more anglers out of another charter on a different boat operating from Gladstone.

By the end of play the 150 lt esky was brimming up nearly full.

What really impressed me was that every fish was brain spiked, bled out and slurried within moments of being caught. Watching Marty fillet those fish was like watching poetry in motion, 3 swipes of the blade, the fillet was off the fish, ribcage already boned out, in the bin for washing and packing. He’d obviously done it a couple of times before. I reckon he’d have had 6 fish done in the time it would take me to do one side with less wastage too! Beautiful to watch.

Again, this set the tone for the fishing throughout the week. We filled the box every day with excellent quality and good quantity of Coral Trout, Red Throat Emperor, Red Emperor, Spangled Emperor, Spanish, Gold Band Jobbies, Scarlets, Shark mackerel, rainbow runner and assorted Tuskies, hussar, a few trevs.

We fished the shallows from the Dory’s and this presented another challenge and introduced me to a whole new skill set to learn in fishing. Pulling tough Trouties and cranky lipper out of coral hidey-hole was an immense challenge and man didn’t we lose some gear in the pursuit of learning

Some highlights included:

• Joeys first fish and first fish for boat for the trip a legal Red.
• Nick caught some very nice Red emperor and trouties between bouts of motion sickness.
• Brad nailed his first legal Red, backed up with a second and caught some lovely Scarleys, Gold band Jobbies, trout and lipper.
• Schultzy nailed a 15.2kg Red and a couple of snodged trouties from the boat.
• Luke nailed his first Spanish 17.2kg – best fish for the trip and a stonker – the look on his face said it all! Proud – yew bet!!!
• Chambo and I had a brilliant day in the dory one morning, chambo boating trout after trout and me laughing so hard I couldn’t fish so just acted as deckie, dehooking fish, spiking, bleeding and so on – at one point he had a rod in each hand but he’ll have to tell that story – I’m roflmao just remembering the scene!!!! We found a patch of lipper in the shallows to around 3kg that I monstered with the new braid buster mounted with a torque300 – what a rush.
• Scotties cooking ☺

Some lessons.

• I’m very happy with my rod and reel selection. I took the Braid buster 15-24kg/penn 300 torque loaded with 24kg suffix matrix pro jig braid. This turned out to be an amazingly versatile outfit as I was able to troll with it, bottom bounce with it and use it in the shallows casting a 2ball and bait up to 40mts to structure. The braid gave little stretch and with the 6:1 retrieve and 15kg of drag, with the balls of the rod, when I got a strike it was only a matter of lifting the rod and one crank to get the fish 1.2 metres away from its crag before it knew it was hooked. I don’t remember losing a fish on that outfit – although I probably did.
• I took a new 760 penn slammer loaded with 24 kg sufix performance and mounted it on a 10-15kg fibre force – after monstering a couple of good trout, I was hit and bricked by a stonker in the one action, I tried to lift the fish out of the coral, it moved but then in the next run the rod went off like a 243 crack!!! I came home with just the butt
• Another very versatile outfit was a 9500 Rovex big boss loaded with 37kg Sufix Herculean jigging bbraid on a 6’6” big boss heavy jig stick. This worked exceptionally well from both the mother boat for bottom bouncing and from the dory and I remember thinking if anyone was looking for a price ranged outfit for their occasional foray. With a five year replacement warranty backing the product this would be an outfit very much worth considering.
• Luke was using an 850 Penn spinfisher loaded with 24kg sufix matrix pro jig braid. He found it very easy to use and versatile for use on the mother ship, with plastics, bottom bouncing and casting and floating baits from the dory.
• Hodgie loaned me a new SV30 Penn International 2 speed overhead loaded with 37kg suffix performance braid and topped with 80 mts of 100lb Sufix superior leader. We hooked a Halco Giant trembler bonito pattern to this outfit. The only Spanish mackerel for the trip were taken on this outfit although I did have a black magic feather skirt snipped
• I need to do some more thinking about an appropriate plastics outfit suitable to cast light jig heads with heavy leader to monster the thugs out of the bricks – maybe an s10 Egrell (if I can every afford it) matched to a 560 Penn slammer or something similar
• I took 3 packs of 6677d mustads and 3 packets of mustad big guns and used the lot! Mind you I was using a 2 gang hook rig most of the time except in the deeper stuff where I floated a pillie under a 10 ball on a gang of 3. I would probably take only 7766’s next time but maybe 8 packs of 25 in 8/0.
• I took with me 4x100mt spools of 40-60-80-100lb penn 10x leader. I used all the 60lb and all the 80lb, not a lot of the 40lb and none of the 100lb. I will probably take 2 spools of 60lb and 1 of 80lb next time.

Finally I want to give credit where it is due. Congratulations to Scotty and Soozie, you run a professional charter. Evertything was done to the highest level of professionalism and customer service. Scotty worked hard to keep us on fish all week, both Scotty and Marty were so generous with their knowledge – they both got alongside the least experienced of us to make sure we all were getting fish. Marty came out most days in the dory’s and helped us get a handle on it – thanks mate

There was nothing too hard for either guys, even after Luke barfed all over the skip on the way home, Scotty could still laugh over it!

Each of us came away with a full esky of quality fillet, very satisfied and looking forward to the next time we can join Scotty and Marty on the Norval.

By the way, did I mention the food was great?

I'm working on the photo's - we took so many but I'll put a few up just to whet ya appetite as soon as I work it out

Cheers

Rhys

Scarey
06-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Great report revs!

Look forward to those pickies and getting out there myself

Scarey

bluefin59
06-04-2008, 04:14 PM
Great report mate can't waut to see the photos ...matt

skipalong
06-04-2008, 04:20 PM
sounds like some unreal fishing i bet it put fraser comp to shame

revs57
06-04-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm still working on the photo's fellas...I have just changed to a mac and the process are different and i'm still a little brain dead...

yeah skipalong - reckon you're right. I'm not going to Fraser this year, mainly because we've not had a family holiday since 2006 but when my mate extended the invitation, Jackie said away you go, luke said "I'm in" and yes the action was hotter than my experiences of Fraser in May. But I will miss the social side of Fraser

cheers

Rhys

Plastic_Magic
06-04-2008, 04:56 PM
hay mate.....

sounds like you had a cracker of a trip......Sounds like the Norval is a very worth while boat to go out on.......Cnt wait to see some piccys.........just a few Questions........What would the cost be on going out on the norval??????.........How many rods is enough to take?????.........How much takle would you take????......Thanks and any info would be great........i want to head out there one week as well.....

Cheers Plastic_Magic

Outsider1
06-04-2008, 05:29 PM
A very good, detailed report you have put together there Rhys, great work and many thanks. Like others will look forward to the piccies and dream of my next Swains Trip, sigh:-[;D

Cheers

Dave

skipalong
06-04-2008, 05:38 PM
yeah is diffinally good atmosphere up there but its hard to get the time off to go up north but i bet for you it was and will be a trip to remember, went there many years ago and the fishing was that good at swains we had to stand on the fish while fishing from the tinnies

revs57
06-04-2008, 05:49 PM
G'day PM,

Yeah, we had a cracker, I can't recommend the Norval highly enough - not one thing to whinge about which is pretty amazing after a week in close quarters, infact all our mob are singing their praises, certainly value for money.

For our trip, for 7 days crew of 10 around $1600 ea - that's all in tucker, smoko's, cooked b'fast tea and coffee, bedding and towels but excluding beveridges and personal stuff. shoot Soozi an email at norvalch@norvalcharters.com.au to confirm your details - better to hear it straight from her

How many rods? Well I took 5. One for trolling - I used a penn sv30 2 speed matched to a 15-24kg penn sport stand up, one for deep water jigging - I used the rovex 9500 big boss matched to a rovex big boss jig rod 10-20kg, One general purpose heavy overhead outfit (Double for trolling)- I used the 15-24kg braid buster matched to the Penn torque300, one general purpose heavy spin for boat rod/casting to bommies etc- i used 760 penn slammer matched to a 10-15kg fibre force custom rod, one general heavy spin for casting slugs, poppers etc I used an 850 Penn spinfisher matched to a Penn power stick 8-10kg - this outfit could double up for squid jigging at night, although I took a penn pro guide and affinity 2000 for that. I also took a couple of backup overheads and rods for that just in case breakage or failure that didn't see the light of day

Some blokes take only handlines, but I don't use them. As far as tackle - as I said for a week, 2 spools of penn 10x 60lb leader, 1 spool penn 10x 80lb leader. I would take 2x40, 4x30, 6x30, 8x30, 10x20 balls again and snapper leads 4oz, 6oz, 8ox, 12oz, 16oz around 10 of each

As far as hooks, probably 8 boxes of 7766d mustads in 7/0 or 8/0 that i could gang where required

As far as lures - for the Norval (cruises @9kts) skirts rigged with at lead 6" wire spliced to 100lb mono, bibless lures like the Halco giant trembler in 130mm, large Halco max or large killalures.

Hope this helps - we'll be going with Norval again

Cheers

Rhys

revs57
06-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Thanks for your comment dave, still working on the pics - might have to get one of the kids to play with it

yep skipalong - it is certainly one of those trips to remember and for all the right reasons

cheers

Rhys

revs57
06-04-2008, 07:43 PM
OK some photo's hopefully

revs57
06-04-2008, 07:45 PM
and a few more

revs57
06-04-2008, 07:48 PM
one more box of red trouties

Spaniard_King
06-04-2008, 08:02 PM
Rhys,

How was the weather for the whole trip??? The picks came up a treat

ffejsmada
06-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Sounds like a great trip was had.

It sure is a great part of the world isn't it???????????

Top report Rhys,

Cheers Jeff.

scoota
06-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Top report Rhys and good to here you got some favourable weather.

Good to here the chooks are as tasty up there and hope to get amongst them myself in 1770 in a couple of weeks;)

Happy Days

Scoota...

revs57
06-04-2008, 08:59 PM
G'day Gary, the first few days wind was around 10-12kts lovely! Tues arv and wednesday got up to 20's so we fished the shallows from the dory's but dropped back to 10-15 thursday and Friday picked up friday arv on the way home to hit the predicted 30kts when we were in the Capricorn channel, with the wind and the tide it really cut up, the latter half of the trip quite nasty - we had to brace opurselves in the bunks while we rested. Yeah, quite happy with the photo's adjusted the size only in photoshop - a lot easier than i thought.

Hey Jeff, yeah the Swains is a must go to place - it has a magic all of its own - the fishing is really the cream. I went out there with Luke 6 yrs ago but we never did any shallow work with the dory's - I didn't know about it til we got home - man that's where the action is. Those shallow trout and lipper really hit hard - ahh the adrenaline junkie has had his fix! It was really great to be out there with a great crew and to have my young fella out there again was really special - we reckon we'll make this an annual event - warms an old man's heart to see and hear his boy laugh and watch him grow into a man. And the Norval crew facilitated the best atmosphere - unbelievable. I didn't know charters could be so good.

Cheers

revs57
06-04-2008, 09:01 PM
G'day Scoota, yep the chooks went off their heads!!!! those big trout and lepper tear them to pieces though - hope you've got a good supplu

I hope you have a great trip to 1770 and will look forward to seeing how you get on

cheers

rhys

keenfishr
06-04-2008, 09:25 PM
stoked!! Great catch guys!!!

TCSunCoast
06-04-2008, 10:02 PM
Revs,

Great trip, boats looks great to fish from with those bait boards around the rails.

Well done and I guess less crowds than Fraser in May as well.

Tony

Outsider1
06-04-2008, 10:06 PM
It is just such a special place out there, eh Rhys. On a good weather day out around the sand cays, it is just magical place and the fishing is a bonus!.

Cheers

Dave

rando
06-04-2008, 11:46 PM
Gday Rhys.
Don't the colours our there blow you away.
Mate I am green with envy looking at those great shots .
Fishing the shallows in the dories,is a blast ,but I like using hand lines in there at close quarters. Big spangles in 10 feet of water smashing you without warning and heading for home.... magic!!
Did the crew tell you which areas/ reefs you where fishing, Id be interested to hear if you remember.
Great report and pics ,
Cheers
rando

revs57
07-04-2008, 06:57 AM
Yeah Dave, I'ts not so much I'd forgotten how beautiful it was, but this time to get up into the gutters and holes around the hard and to mirror off the surface of the water with a circle in the dory and then to look into the water with polaroids - man what a sight-the colours are so vivid, as Rando said - they blow you away.

Rob we fished 5 different sections of reef. I'll PM the details

cheers

rhys

nigelr
07-04-2008, 07:07 AM
Fantastic report Revs, thanks for putting it up!
Man, I am so envious!
Cheers!

seapup
07-04-2008, 07:18 AM
Great report and catch Rhys! Glad you showed em how its done with the plastics! See any good waves on the reefs at the Swains? There are some good waves to surf out there.
Cheers,
Benny.

revs57
07-04-2008, 07:22 AM
Tony, the Norval is so well set up - plenty of space down the 60ft length, each fishing station has its own bait table and most importantly stubbie holder! there is plenty of room between the Wheelhouse superstructure and gunnel rail, the skip and deckie cruised up and down and were on hand to dispatch the fish immediately it came aboard, they leader lifted and in some cases with really big fish head gaffed fish for those not confident to make sure fish weren't lost. The rear deck is a huge area undercover where the evening communion services ;) were held and sacred stories swapped of the days events and the "one that got away". If chambo picks up the thread, hopefully he will tell us about the prawn in the ear episode - I laughed so hard I fell off me seat - that will teach him for telling me he'd fight me for the last prawn!!!! Don't get between rev's an' prawn!!! Yep, the food was great - i think i said that somewhere before.

Nigel, don't be jealous - get online and book a trip!!!! Its all out there - we're gonna go again next year.

For a similar amount of money that it would cost us to do Fraser, its certainly worth it and you don't stres up the 4x4 boat and trailer and gear to do it - get waited on hand and foot - eat like kings, doesn't get better than that

Cheers

Rhys

revs57
07-04-2008, 07:26 AM
G'day Benny,
Mate there were some rollers breaking on the front edge of the reef, but I reckon you'd have needed ya head read to surf them - too many grey suited tax men for my liking.

Yeah, they went off in the 40mt stuff on the drift, but I didn't quite get the plastics thing happening for the shallows environment though - too tough to cast 1/4oz jig heads with 60lb leader and anything less just got smashed - I need to do some more work on that aspect

cheers

rhys

Frank OO
07-04-2008, 08:44 AM
Hi Rhys,

As soon as you showed us the photos, everything made sense. Now I can see why you had such a great time. There is nothing like sharing your experiences with family and friends.

Well done mate now welcome back to the windy weather.

Frank OO

Anne-T-Dote
07-04-2008, 09:02 AM
AAAaahhhh Rhys, why did you have to go and post that report. Oh Maaaan.

Ah well. At least the wedding was a hoot.

Awesome report mate and some awesome fish as well. Can't complain with reds up to over 15kg and trout like those.

You mentioned the grey suited tax men in relation to surfing - did they give you much trouble on the rods?

-spiro-
07-04-2008, 09:14 AM
Great report Rhys
Top read and pic's
And Well done Luke

ballsie
07-04-2008, 10:44 AM
awesome trip there Rhys. great to go away with some great company and your own blood. congrats on some great fish.
benno

Fixation
07-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Hey Rhys,

Man looks like you had a cracker mate. The report was great to read. Im sitting here drooling over the photos again.
Thanks.

Regards,
Craig.

Chambofish
07-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Hey Rhys
The pics came up trumps. We've been fishing the Capricorn/Bunkers for nearly 12 years now and that had to be our best trip by far - Scotty and Marty were inspiring. I've never had a trip where the crew actually show you some spots and go with you to impart some of their knowledge and skill. We'll do it again soon.
cheers. Chambo

Reel Magic
07-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Thats a top report Rhyys,
What a trip mate,

Take care - Ryan.

pickers
07-04-2008, 07:26 PM
hot stuff revs , heading that way in august , can't wait.
fantastic post.
pickers

reelapeelin
07-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Great report on your trip. I am organising a trip for this time next year. Hoping to get enough of the boys together to charter the whole boat. Were there any GT's about or was it that you didn't target them? Some of the guys really want to target some speedies off the reefs. Macks, GT's, etc.... adrenaline junkies.
Have to agree with you. Service from Scott and Soozie has been awesome to date and we're all looking forward to our trip. Cheers...Steve.

sempre
07-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Nice work Rhys , sounds like your arms may be a bit sore for a while.
Is this the subtitute for the fishing comp ?
It would be a hard choice if it was .

revs57
08-04-2008, 06:49 AM
G’day Frank,
Yeah to have Luke out there again was magic, and some of the fish he caught were memorable. Fantastic to share that with him. Thanks for the welcome back to the wind m-a-t-e! I had hoped it would all be gone when I got back so we could get into it down here again

Hey Rob,
I’m Glad the wedding was a goodun’ maybe next time, but you’ve got Fraser around the corner and I know I’ll be green when I se you post up another 15kgplus Red! Hope you’re rod bends often there mate.. Yeah the sharks were around, and there were some thumpers. We had to give up on a couple of hangs cause they shredded everything hooked.

Thanks Chris, i passed your “well done” on to Luke

Good on ya Benno, check ya pm

Well Craig, stop drooling and get fishin’! ‘bout time we saw some more of the adventures of fixation mate. How’s naomi - nearly time for the arrival of your package mate? Can’t be far off now?

Ahhh Chambo you scurrilous, scabby, ugly son of an english pigdog! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberry’sa - what a fantastic trip mate, thanks so much for the invite and yor mateship - you not gonna tell the two rod story? I’m still cacking myself over it - funniest thing I’ve seen for years - or maybe it was just the angle of the dangle that I was seeing????hmmmm

Pickers, who ya going with? Sure to be a good trip

G’day RAP - mate I took a couple of big poppers in the hope of getting into GT’s, a huge Halco Haymaker and a River to Sea Dumbell, didn’t see any this trip. I’m sure they were around but had a bit of a crack one afternoon to no avail. I’ll have another go next time with a bit more comittment

G’day Sam,

Yeah I’m only starting to come good today.

This trip came out of the blue really, not as a replacement for Fraser, I’d decided to give Fraser a miss this year as I thought it a bit cheeky to spend 2 weeks with mates fishing when we didn’t get a family holiday this year. But when Chambo rang and put the invite, the bride said “go” (not that she was saying not go to Fraser - that was my call) I didn’t need to be told twice. The fact that there was space for Luke - an absolute bonus. But you’re right, it would be a hard choice, but I think the Swains has it. I will be going on a 10 dayer we booked on Norval for May next year

cheers

Rhys

lido76
08-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Great report Rhys sounds and looks like you had an awsome trip. I am sweet talking the missus into letting me off the leash for a swains or sumarez trip in 09 what is the best time of year to go?Mate 1600 sounds pretty cheap for 7 nights is that price all incusive except personal (grog & tackle ) items? Also is there parking available at the harbour if so does it cost more than the trip? Great read keep it up. CHEERS BRENDAN

backlash08
08-04-2008, 05:46 PM
good one Rhys - thanks for the post - excellent.
I'm off to the swains mid may on Tasman venture - hope we have half as good a trip as you did - cheers

Craig

dfox
08-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Great report Rhys! Im guessing after that trip we might be seeing a little more of Luke in the riptide on local trip's! Catch up with ya soon ...foxy

Horse
08-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Great report rhys. Probably one of the best I have read. It almost felt like being there. Did you try anything tougher like a snapback? It may have reduced the demolition of the Chooks

Cheers

Neil

revs57
08-04-2008, 10:30 PM
G'day Brendan, Yep the $1600 covered all expenses except for beveredges and personal stuff - all food, tea/coffee, smoko's bedding and towells included. Paring is in a secure compound and part of the deal too i think - just check with Soozie - you can email her on norvalch@norvalcharters.com.au Mate, i'm not sure on the best time fr a trip - I'd guess from the autumn to spring when weather is a little more settled. I'd get an fishing almanac and make sure the trip was on a making moon or up to new moon to make the most of solar/lunar cycles.

Good on ya Craig, i will look forward to hearing how you get on with your trip

Thanks Foxy, Yep, it was so good to have Luke out there - it was certainly a highlight for me and I think the bug might have bit him too - Oh, no.... ummm Jackie...dear, more gear YES!!!!! It will be good to have him out on Flamin Riptide to learn the ropes so he can take me out!!!

Hi Neil, Thaks for your feedback...no i didn't try the snapbacks, never used them, but do understand now you mention it it could be a handy option to have up my sleeve for next time cause they are certainly more hardy than the berkeley product - wish I had taken some out ! Just have to go again and give it a go!!!! ummm Jackie....some snapbacks too????

Be back in a couple of days - got a few days wandering Currimundi with my girl now so check it all again when I get back Thursday evening.

Cheers

Rhys

Roo
09-04-2008, 09:49 AM
great read Ryhs,
Sounds like a fantastic trip and a great operator for a great price.
cheers Roo.

Blackened
09-04-2008, 04:21 PM
G'day

Well done Rhys, wondered why you were quiet of late!

Fantastic report, well done

Dave

OldManRiver
09-04-2008, 08:03 PM
Hi Rhys

Great report mate,very informative.I'am going to Swains in September and was wondering if you could answer a few questions re tackle.

Firstly, what did you find was the best combination of weight and hook size in the jig head. Is there much current to deal with. Also lets say iam in the dory heading away from the mother ship towards the shallows. What sort of formations should i be looking. Thanks Reguards Phil

swano
10-04-2008, 05:07 PM
well all i can say is DOH .
bloody great report rhys , and well done luke the puke .
see yas soon
cheers swano

revs57
11-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Yeah Roo can certainly recommend Norval from my experience

Dave with all the crook weather I haven't been fishing to post anything up...here's hoping the weather turns around soon

G'day Phil, mate in the 40mts I used a 5/8oz and 7" jerk shad, in the 80 mts had a go with a 4oz, but didn't have the right set up at all...just couldn't get the "feel" of it. In some of the spots there was current, but we didn't get bothered by it. Not an issue in the shallows, just a matter of setting up your hang from the dory to accomodate current flow and fish back into structure.

Formations? well you'll see the edges of the ledges on the outer edge of the reef and gutters that run up into the reef and in holes of lagoons up on top of the reef from the top half of the tide. Our best fish came from the deeper blue edges of gutters/trenches and holes. When you come to a promising edge, do a circle so the wake mirrors off the hole or edge and you can look into it with polaroids of any quality sunglasses. I have Mako's and Maui Jim's - not a problem with either brand, but any quality sunglass (and I prefer glass lenses) should do. but yeah, look for the deeper edges. I found casting 1/4 oz jig heads with 60lb leader predictably difficult so I went to a 2 ball with big baits and cast it with the torque 300 on a 15-24kg braid buster to formations.

I'm working through the right ind of outfit of SP's in the shallows.

Well Swano - there is always next year mate

Cheers

Rhys

Orrsum
11-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Great report and awesome pics, thank Revs makes me wish i was there. a mate of ine is a trout fisherman up there and always brings back heaps of photos and even video footage... some real special stuff there. we were trying to plan a trip on the Booby Bird although a few of the team had to pull out so we never bothered, bit ofa shame.

Big_Ren
11-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Trip of a life time Rhys. You tell a wonderful yarn mate. Well done. Congrats to the young fella too.

Cheers
Paul

revs57
14-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Yeah Orrsum, It's a bummer when part of your crew bails. That happend for Chambo and Brad, but the guys decided to go anyway! That's why Luke was able to jump in on the last moment. We saw the Boobie Bird...awesome boat, heaps of room. it will carry a much larger crew. hope you can get it together next time.

Gday Paul, thanks for appreciating the story mate...a good yarn is worth attempting to tell well. I'll pass your congrats to Luke - he still remembers the trip with pride - his smile gives him away.

By the way for those who asked, parking undercover in a secure compound was $55 for the week so that's not too bad

Cheers

rhys

dogsbody
14-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Awesome trip. You really nailed those trout.

You never starve on the Norval that's for sure.

Totally professional set up.

Here's a pic of the fillet master Marty. Credit where credits due.

Dave.

OldManRiver
15-04-2008, 08:09 PM
G'day rhys, got another question mate. When you started using the chooks in 40 meters did you fish on the same side of the boat as the bait fishos or on the other side and cast in the direction of the drift.Also did you use burly in the dories and what sought of action can i expect at night.

Thanks Phil

Black_Rat
15-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Great report Rhys, brings back so many memories :)

Ahhhh...... Swains ;D

I am planning another assult after a 2 year absence from Swains in 2009 ! Aboard the Australiana !

These trips are awsome ! 7 days away fishing, when even you want, great crew cooking a feed 3 times a day, hot showers, cold beer & great company !

Does it really get any better than that ? ;D

Damo.

revs57
15-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Yeah Phil,

I was fishing from the stern position and casting down wind over the stern so that when we drifted over my jig, I was in the strike zone. We did use berley from the dory's, certainly stirred them up...first fish was usually a Spanish flag or stripey, then the bigger trout, followed by the smaller trout, then the lipper brigade would move in, we kept the berley going, a few pillies here and there, kept the lipper around. If we didn't get good bits within 5-10mins, we'd look for another hole ore piece of water. If we had a crack at an area with some berley and failed to get a hit in 5 mins, we'd motor to another area completely.

At night we just focussed on the calimari...no one else really put any effort into fishing after tea

G'day Damo, mate you are right, it really doesn't get much better than what we experienced all the best for your trip on Australiana

Cheers

Rhys

revs57
15-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Hi Dave, it was an awesome trip...good to see the pic of Marty, a cracker of a bloke...yep, credit where credit is due

Cheers

rhys

Sandon Pilly
16-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Great report as we are going on the Norval in a months time. That info on your gear really helps.
Cheers
Sandon Pilly

nats nuts 76
21-04-2008, 07:00 PM
awesome report old mate!!! I am jealous beyond comprehension!!!! Nice to see you got out finally. Sorry to hear about Fraser though. If you decide to go next year give me a hoy. Its only 45mins by barge from my place ad I hope to have a new 4wd by then. Catch you soon.

nathan

revs57
22-04-2008, 06:56 AM
G'day SP, your tri isn't far off now - hope the weather stays good for ya's - give Scotty and Marty a g'day for me

Good to see you finally posting Nathan - how's things in Hervey Bay? Settled in yet? More importantly, have you got any good marks???? Wouldn't mind coming up there for a bash once you sus it out - give Belinda and the rug rats a g'day for me

cheers

Rhys