PDA

View Full Version : Electric Motor Size on Tinnie

jeffrey_h
06-04-2008, 03:19 PM
Just brought a 3.3 metre punt tinnie and need to know what size of electric motor should be used. Been looking at 40 and 48 lb thrust but not sure what size for my tinnie.

Can anybody help?

Thanks

Jeffrey

jeffrey_h
10-04-2008, 08:46 PM
There has got to be someone out there who has an electric motor on a tinnie??????????????????????

Just need some feedback as to what size would suit a 3.3mt tinnie for moving around fishing/crabbing spots.

Jeffrey

Leighton
10-04-2008, 09:14 PM
You can pick up a 54lbs Water Snake for around $6oo, throw in a 100a/h or even bigger battery and you are in business. Get the biggest electric you can afford

ElectricBasser
10-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Hi Jeffery,
I have run a 67lb M/G on a 3.75 Stessco and it hauled along quite nicely. My brother runs an old 42lb MK on his 4.1 Aquamaster with 18hp Tohatsu, and that has always proved adequate. My advice is 38-42lbs is fine...67 is a bit of overkill, but I like the extra grunt, cause I'm electric only. The 67 is currently being fitted to my "new" 3.5 Quintrex, which should be REAL nice!
Regards Dave

DHM77
11-04-2008, 06:04 AM
Jeffery,
I had a v-nose punt fully decked out and quite heavy. I had a 54lb bow mount which on full power moved along well - about 2.5knots from memory, and a 40lb tiller steer that was plenty adequate for getting from place to place. The tiller steer was one of the cheap chinese copies from the big w. As you are intending using it for pulling up pots, and not holding a position whilst fishing I would suggest that a 54 lb 12v system would be the go, the extra speed wquld be useful. If the budget is tight a cheaper 40lb tiller would suffice. As the blokes above have said get the larrgest 12v you can afford, the extra grunt when moving upcurrent and upwind is always handy to have.
Regards,
Dave

NAGG
11-04-2008, 08:16 AM
I subscribe to the bigger the better theory .... specially on Leccys

i'm feeling a 55lb would be the maximum you would need & something around 46 would be spot on ! ....... there is not a huge difference in wt ...... + you should look at a 100-120amp deep cycle battery regardless.

Nagg

BaitThrower
11-04-2008, 10:24 AM
Out of interest, how many minutes/hours use would you get out of 100amp fully charged battery on say a 40lb electric motor? Anyone have any figures on how many amps these motors draw in normal conditions (i.e. no current, calm water)?

plaztix
11-04-2008, 12:30 PM
Out of interest, how many minutes/hours use would you get out of 100amp fully charged battery on say a 40lb electric motor? Anyone have any figures on how many amps these motors draw in normal conditions (i.e. no current, calm water)?

I've got a 50lb minn kota transom mount and 120AH battery on my 4.2 seajay SP and it pushes it along nicely. Motor cost me just under $600 and battery was around $220

In regards to how long your battery lasts, It depends what speed you're running the motor at.

I was told that at top speed my 50lb will draw up to 50amps so i would assume that a 100AH battery will give you say an hour and a half run time at full speed. (This is keeping in mind that you dont want to fully drain your deep cycle.)

I get a full days fishing out of mine but only use it to sneak around snags and to hold ground over structure when drifting so i rarely open it up to max speed.

I would recommend getting at least a 120AH. and its equally important to get a good quality multi stage charger too, as this will maintain your battery and make it last a lot longer.;)

Red_Nut
11-04-2008, 03:28 PM
I have a 495 Stessl Truck, which is a fairly heavy boat, 60hp Yammy 4stroke, moderate fitout (to give an idea of weight), and a 55lb MinnKota Bow Mount with Autopilot. I also use a 120Ah deep cycle battery. In the 2007 Barra Bounty I was trolling at pretty much full revs for almost 5 hours before the battery started to give up. The first day I was using the battery that came with the tinny when I bought it, some marine battery, but it only lasted less than 2 hours. Day 2 I decided it was time to take the deep cycle out of my cruiser. The river was nice and flat so there was no issues with damaging my non-marine battery. It was definitely worth it because the battery lasted the whole morning session, which was the prime time for the barra.

The 55lb moves it along ok for moving around snags and for trolling. In a smaller boat of your size something in the 40's should be more than enough.

Cheers.

Ed.

tunaticer
11-04-2008, 04:03 PM
I have a MinnKota RT55AP bow mount on my 4.1 Aquamaster and it is good however when the breezes get up as they do sometimes, I wish i had something with more pull. Calm day it runs very sweet but getting caught in a 15-20 knot breeze that comes up occasionally it will get you home but you will feel like you can row quicker at times.

The 40-60 lb will do you fine, but i would opt for the higher end.

Jack.

NAGG
11-04-2008, 08:02 PM
I have a 495 Stessl Truck, which is a fairly heavy boat, 60hp Yammy 4stroke, moderate fitout (to give an idea of weight), and a 55lb MinnKota Bow Mount with Autopilot. I also use a 120Ah deep cycle battery. In the 2007 Barra Bounty I was trolling at pretty much full revs for almost 5 hours before the battery started to give up. The first day I was using the battery that came with the tinny when I bought it, some marine battery, but it only lasted less than 2 hours. Day 2 I decided it was time to take the deep cycle out of my cruiser. The river was nice and flat so there was no issues with damaging my non-marine battery. It was definitely worth it because the battery lasted the whole morning session, which was the prime time for the barra.

The 55lb moves it along ok for moving around snags and for trolling. In a smaller boat of your size something in the 40's should be more than enough.

Cheers.

Ed.

Ed ..... Was that trolling with the 60 yammi for 5 hours:-/ (With a 50amp draw for a 55 Minn Kota....flat stick) ..... you've managed loaves & fishes ...... JC would have been proud;D
Sorry I dont think the numbers stack ..... IMHO
or am I missing something???

Nagg

benny2208
11-04-2008, 08:14 PM
i have a bow mount electric motor i think its about 25lb pulled a 12 foot tinny with 3 ppl in no problems it has 5 speeds
its up for sale @ $300 ono im in townsville
pm me for more info if anyone is interested

jeffrey_h
12-04-2008, 07:30 PM
Thanks, to all, for the responce guys, I do only want this for moving around local spots as I have a 15hp Johnson for getting there and back.

Going to Lake Borumba next weekend, first trip out in the 'little one', going to be good.

Keep them coming.

Jeffrey