PDA

View Full Version : DO probe

MORFIN
06-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Hi all Ausfishos,

I was wondering what a DO probe is . I get that it is for measuring oxygen in water but where can I pick one up from.
I have noticed that a few Ausfish members have been referring to them in reports & such but are they an effective tool or just something to use for out of interest reasons?

PETE MATE.

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
06-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Pete Mate,
If you want to get all scientific and go super deep into the world of water in lakes and the properties of sea water then a DO probe will give you many new clues and much more information into the changing chemistry of the water in which the fish and other animals live.
DO Probe means -Dissolved Oxygen, but temperature, conductivity, ph and so on are part of the capabilities of some of these units. There are many biology web sites that share information on this tool. The prices are up there making them almost a luxury item, but for what they tell you, they are cheap as chips.

Next Line- Do you really need one and will it be beneficial?
They open up a whole new world into the depths of the abyss and in truth it highly helps us understand how and why fish behave like they do in many instances and it helps give insight into whether or not a section of sampled water holds the qualities that can be required for target species to exist and function efficiently.
But in true terms it is not a tool that we can deploy to guarantee that the best fish or best fishing will be found. Driving around all day and constantly sampling water will not help find that honey pot where all the gigantors of the fish world will be holding, but it can be used as a dip tool to guide is the right direction or to monitor changes that occur during weather adjustments or seasonal alterations.

Visual clues from sounder displayed images, and detailed clues from paying attention, such as- water colour, its circulating free flowing state or at times the lack of flow can show us signs of water that may not be up to scratch or up to standard. The noted lack of life or suspended particles or floating vegetation are all signs that can set us up to thinking that something is not right with a piece of water and it may be time for anglers to "move on".
A DO probe may show you the results of the less favourable visual signs, but it won't help the average angler on the day to increase their chances by too much.
I feel the DO probe is a tool that is essential if anyone wishes to understand a waterway in much greater depth. A tool of interest yes, one of necessity, I think NO!
I think a DO probe is a tool that would best slip into the hands of an angler once thay have increased their skill levels in the many other fields related to fishing.
On the other hand, I think a temp probe for testing water temp at various depths would fix a lot of the misguided 'old wives tales' on fish and water temp tolerance.
DO Probes, Temp Data Logging Devices and a simple temp probe on 80ft of cable broadened my knowledge on salt and freshwater bodies. It helps us understand nature a whole lot more and as a side effect, it helps us learn a great deal more about fish.
But, just how far do we really need to go to enjoy the outdoors and fishing?
It is all out there for the taking if anyone wants it take the plunge.
We never stop learning, but often many things we learn don't help us catch more fish, but some tiny pieces of the puzzle do open many doors.
Best Regards,
Johnny Mitchell

the_matrix
06-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Following on from Mitch, yeh dont rush out mate, mine cost 3 grand, the cheap $500 buck ones are not worth squat.
My LDO has only backed up what I thought in the first place, I guess kind of confirmed what my eyes had told me.
It helped confirm dead water the other day at Monduran, but theres a host of natural indicators that will assist in that, ie turtles comorants bait etc.

When I found Barra at Monduran the other day, I found them without the probe, but I dropped it once I hooked a fish and it backed up what I had already seen through experienced eyes, and knowing what to look for.
It has been worth it for me because it has given me confidence in all the natural indicators I have used in the past to find fish.

Its a handy tool, but as Mitch says above it wont find you fish or give you any short cuts.
It helps plot another piece to the puzzle for me, and learn more about what Barra can and cant do in terms of water quality.
Cheers
Jas

MORFIN
07-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Wow , what two great posts . I wasnt exspecting such indepth responses to my post.
Thanks Johnny & Jas

PETE MATE

Steve B
07-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Pete Mate,

You got the best info from 2 of the most experienced and educated barra fishermen in Australia!! What they haven't studied and learnt about impoundment barra isnt worth knowing.........and they share it for free! Thanks Johny and Jason.

MORFIN
08-04-2008, 06:31 PM
As the D.O probes are very exspensive and only measure oxygen has anyone done tests the same way as you would test your fish tank or swimming pool levels at home? Is it worth doing?

PETE MATE

the_matrix
08-04-2008, 06:57 PM
Nah I wouldnt think so Pete.
My LDO probe measures just about everything you need as well as some things you dont.
It measures temperature against depth, Dissolved oxygen, conductivity, salinity and barometric pressure.
Pretty awesome piece of kit but 3 grand, well, thats a lot of bucks.
Cheers
Jas

two fold
09-04-2008, 08:32 AM
thats got the mind tikking over.
have to agree pete a diff perspective and matrix what is it they dont know about barra. what does the probe look like?
purcho

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
09-04-2008, 02:49 PM
86 GAZILLION MILLION TRILLION things we don't know about barra. Yrs of fishing might help discover about 2% of those multi trillion million kapillion things, but each percent of what we may know might equal hundreds of single special pieces of information. The day I die I will still be wondering. It is never ending and every new discovery really creates 2 new questions, so the ball just keeps rolling forward.
I slept on a creek bank last night and listened to barra feed. I learnt something from that about, when and why. Each trip adds up. The more you go and the more you see, the more you learn,,,,if you want to.
85.9999999999 GAZILLION MILLION TRILLION things to go.
Regards,
Johnny

Awoonga
10-04-2008, 06:33 AM
have to agree pete a diff perspective and matrix what is it they dont know about barra. Quote.......Thats a easy one .... When they are going to catch the next one...And l have no idea either

the_matrix
10-04-2008, 07:34 AM
Twofold, the probe is about the size of one of those slim coke cans, with aassociated cable attatched. It has a digital display and handset.
Mine has 40 metres of cable.
The probe is lowered to desired depth, I use my aft transducer and lower it in the beam, that way I can see it on my sounder.

Thanks for the kind comments guys, but lots to learn. Not enough time in the day.
Anyone who says they have Barra or impoundments wired............well, I'll leave the rest to your imagination.
Cheers
Jas

rod harrison
10-04-2008, 07:49 AM
My latest book - out mid year - has an in-depth chapter from friend of many years, Dr. Ben Diggles. Ben visits Awoonga several times a year and can be counted on to sniff out some barra. He can take credit for being a scientist who can actallyfish - and introducing the disolved oxygen dynamic into the search.

SeekingBarradise
10-04-2008, 08:07 AM
Great thread guys. Can't wait for the book Rod the last one was awesome..Just read it again and got some extra info i missed the first time etc.

Bloody great read & the history of the Barra Fishing industry over the last 50 years paid great respect to many who have already invented the wheel with plastics & frogs being used over 30 years ago etc... but re invented again after many have forgotten the hard work put in by many pioneers.

Will have to catchup next time we are up at Awoonga in a couple of wks we keep missing you in camp..

For a while we have also been saying we know maybe 1% of nature at best..And many aboriginals would have developed thousands of barra catching methods that are not documented and lost over time..

The fun is in the exploring and learning.... We are lucky to have such great barra fishing dams in Qld & lucky to have all the guys on this thread giving us the good oil.

See you on a Barra Dam one day..Cheers Kel & Lyndon.

the_matrix
10-04-2008, 08:31 AM
Bloody great read & the history of the Barra Fishing industry over the last 50 years paid great respect to many who have already invented the wheel with plastics & frogs being used over 30 years ago etc... but re invented again after many have forgotten the hard work put in by many pioneers.
See you on a Barra Dam one day..Cheers Kel & Lyndon.
Nothing forgotten by pioneers on my part. They are the ones that inspired to me to chase dreams in the first place.
Yes, true words Lyndon about plastics and frogs being used over 30 years ago.
Not down playing that fact by any stretch, the methods and tackle that are used today are light years apart. That is the difference.
If you told barra guns in the territory that you were buying the fastest threadline you could to cast a plastic weedless frog and wind it back as fast as physically possible, you would have got laughed at. You would still today!
Plastic weedless frogs have been around for an eternity, the billabongs of the North are its birthplace.
But a completley different line of thought drives those lures, another difference that has evolved through time.
Cheers
Jas

the_matrix
10-04-2008, 08:38 AM
My latest book - out mid year - has an in-depth chapter from friend of many years, Dr. Ben Diggles. Ben visits Awoonga several times a year and can be counted on to sniff out some barra. He can take credit for being a scientist who can actallyfish - and introducing the disolved oxygen dynamic into the search.
Yep cant agree more Rodney.
Ben was instrumental in helping me source the probe, and praise its functionality.
Ive learned an amazing amount of scientific, practical information from Ben, he has given me an incredible insight and into impoundment dynamics and water quality. Boy does he know his stuff.
Cheers
Jas