PDA

View Full Version : Yammie 60 hp four stroke

cameron walker
06-04-2008, 07:03 AM
Just purchased a 435 stessl truck with a yammie 60hp four stroke on the back.Its a tiller steer and it goes great with one or two people but it struggles with three.Once on the plane its no worries but getting out of the hole means moving people forward ,weight distribution may be an issue as the 60 must be heavy and everything want to slide down the back on take off.The prop is a 11 3/8 x 12-G ,is that the correct size ?. Any info much appreciated Cam

Dan5
06-04-2008, 07:14 AM
Hey mate i'm running a 07 6ohp yammie on a 4.5 bluefin the prop is a 11 1/8 x 13G and have had 3 up with all the fishing gear,it is a bit slower to get on the plane with 3 but not to much slower than say with 2.

Are you trimming the engine right in? on takeoff Also is your motor the efi one or carby's the carb one's are abit doey in the bottom end.

Dan.......

FNQCairns
06-04-2008, 07:24 AM
Possibly fit some wedges if Dans advice is usual.

cheers fnq

cameron walker
06-04-2008, 10:28 AM
The motor is 05 fuel injection model and yes i trim it in.It does get on the plane just a bit slower than with 2 and on my own it leeps out.Maybe I am being fussey as i am used to 2 stroke power.Am looking at props but have no idea about them.Would a 13.5x14k yammie stainless be any good,only 200bucks?

Dan5
06-04-2008, 10:50 AM
The extra diam and pitch on the stainless would make your holeshot even worse,it would be ok for you by your self but would not get you out of the hole better.......$200 smacker's is cheap though for a s/s prop,can you try before buy?

Dan......

Steve B
06-04-2008, 10:52 AM
A mate has your exact setup with 435 stessl angler which is a tricked up 435 truck. I had 435 stessl anlger with 60 4st mariner set up the same as his. They are a pretty H/D boat, quite wide too. We both had the same 'out of the hole' issues that you do with a bit of weight on board. I just think its a weight/resistance issue. Your prop should be fine. The boats are awesome hey!

For the record the Mariner just pipped the yammie in a race at somerset one day on the identical boats.!! Mariner was EFI and yammie not back then (2003) I think, that was his excuse!!!;)

hope this helps a bit steve

cameron walker
06-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Dan5 The prop is on ebay , so no try before buy.Thanks for the info,is a 12" pitch the best for my setup? STEVE B Yeh great boat, picked it up last saturday and did 10 hrs offshore 50 km round trip that night.Very fast and so economical.Just thought a diff prop might help ,what size does your mate run on his?.

hooknline
06-04-2008, 06:18 PM
I got a 60 hp yammaha pushing a 450 topender I went through all this drama with pulling a tube or a skier just have to pitch it down a little I'll have a look what I got

Steve B
06-04-2008, 08:47 PM
13 pitch I beleive. Thats what I had too.

cameron walker
07-04-2008, 09:04 AM
Was on the phone to solas and a very helpful lass suggested i check the depth of the motor.It may need to go down a hole to bring it to the correct depth.Apparently this is a common prob with yammies,they do it so the prop doesnt cavitate,but if raised this may fix my out of the hole prob. Steve B at what hole did your mate put his yammie,mine is on the top one.

Steve B
07-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Cameron, I hionestly couldnt tell you. Hes in Mackay now. Next time I talk to him I will find out. Your nearest boat dealer (or some of the other blokes on here) should be able to tell you the optimum position.

I believe the cav plate should be just below the keel when trimmed down (if you look along the cav plate and line it up with the bottom of the boat, it should be 1cm or so below that level) thats the easiest way I can explain......others may have better explanations or suggestions. I am not very 'boat minded' with these sorts of things.!!

steve

cameron walker
07-04-2008, 01:47 PM
I have lifted the motor for a test run this arvo, just need some bodies to weigh it down.

Tim_N
08-04-2008, 11:23 AM
So how did it go Cameron?
Tim

cameron walker
09-04-2008, 07:26 PM
It went ok but couldnt get any bodys.I did lose 1.5 knots at 28.5 knots didnt cavitate.I think the cavitation plate is still to low so i lifted it all the way up thisarvo.The cav plate is now just below the hull level,but higher than the keel.The keel on the truck is very deep and i read the cav plate should be in line with the keel maybe this is why it was so low?.Test run number two in morn.

Rob128
09-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Hey Cameron,

I have a 07 60 Yamaha four stroke on a Quintrex 460 Bow Rider. I know this is a different config and weight distribution to you, although the numbers may assist with your decision.

I initially had an 11 5/8 x 11 G mounted and would do about 27kts at WOT with three blokes on board. However, the engine would be on the limiter at 6100 RPM on flat water.

I hit an underwater object with the Missus on board (that's another story) so put an 11 3/8 x 12 G on. I now get 29 kts with three blokes on board at 5700 RPM.

As expected, the boat "seems" a little slower out of the hole although planes easily and down to 9 kts.

The motor is mounted on the 2nd hole from the top and the cavitation plate is approx even with the keel.

I am having my older prop (11 5/8 x 11) repaired as we are doing a bit of skiing now so I need the holeshot performance Vs top end speed or economy.

Hope the above is of some help.

Regards,

Rob