PDA

View Full Version : bitter sweet

HIGH and DRY
05-04-2008, 08:40 PM
well the time has come for me to buy my first house with my girl, and although it is very exciting and i can't wait, be have come to the decision that selling my boat will make our lives a hell of a lot easier, at least until we get settled and the whole change of lifestyle thing sorted out!!! we had worked out we could keep it, but with money being a little tight for a while, we would hardly get time to even enjoy it! it will be a bit of a shock to the system as i go out at least twice a week, but you've gotta do what you gotta do!!! hopefully down the track a little we will be able to buy another, it will be very tough lettin go of my 1st boat which i bought brand new only a year and a half ago:-[ anyone else had to sell their prized possesions for a good cause????

...so if anyone is looking for a deckie!!!!..

pete

tunaticer
05-04-2008, 08:58 PM
You could always downgrade to a pair of kayaks for a year or two. Nil fuel costs apart from driving to the beach.

Jack.

coucho
05-04-2008, 09:14 PM
pete mate i feel for you what about a back trade let your boat go and get a cheapy some where might keep you on the water? I paid 2 g for mine same situ and it gets me out there.

Leighton
06-04-2008, 02:21 AM
I was in the same situation 8 years back.
In all honesty I dont think its worth it, I agree getting into a house as soon as possible is the right way to go, however if you can afford to keep the boat like you have said..I would be.
If the boat is not costing you money then keep it, with the pressure of being on a strict budget I believe everybody needs an escape from reality. So what if the boat is ot being used as much, at least it will be there if you need it

MyEscape
06-04-2008, 05:47 AM
If you are paying off your boat, then it's a question of priorities. If you're not, then it's just capital you need and that's easy to get from the bank.

Number one priority should be your house, and the financial ability to afford the repayments, keep it fully insured against loss, ensure that rates and other general upkeep are maintained.

I've been through the same thing a few years ago with a boat that was probably too expensive for our financial circumstances at that time. Now, I often say I should have kept it. But that's hindsight for you and what else would have suffered in the meantime. Marriage? Who knows.

Sometimes you just have to make the tough decisions. Later, you'll thank yourself for it. And if you buy your real estate right, probably will have the chance later to get another boat when the circumstances are right for you.

You can still have a fish off the beach.

Myself? We bought a Stacer bowrider 4.75:) , then backtraded:'( to a Seajay 4.15m, then upgraded to a Cruisecraft Explorer 500 :D then now (this week actually) got my latest pride and joy a Seajay 4.35 Escape CX 40hp electric start trim/tilt, 55lb Minn Kota on the bow and do I love it:D :D :D !!

Took it for it's first run yesterday and wow

Priorities and patience.

I'm sure if you asked around there's lots of stories where people have to sell off something the value highly. not just boats either. Sometimes their lifestyle.

All the best

Steve

ozbee
06-04-2008, 06:57 AM
they will still make them when its time for you again don't worry be happy

HIGH and DRY
07-04-2008, 04:08 PM
cheers guys! im writing the add up as we speak:( as stated above, and my better half insists, there will a chance for another boat down the track, possibly even better than what i have now!!;D spose i am semi- fortunate that i have a few mates with boats, and although they don't get out there all that often, it will be better than nothing at all!

pete

manchild
07-04-2008, 06:08 PM
If they are your friends ,you should be able to take their boats out if they dont use it.We done this many times .
George