PDA

View Full Version : YAK Colours ???

NAGG
05-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Hi All ...... A mate was wondering if the colour of a Kayak makes any difference in bassin :-/
I'm guessing Greens & Camo would be best!

What are your thoughts ?

Nagg

tunaticer
05-04-2008, 04:32 PM
It doesn't matter what colour your yak is Nagg. All yaks and boats cast a shadow plus nearly all fish are colourblind so reds and greens and some blues are all shades of grey to them. It is entirely personal appeal for yourself that the colour is for. Would you be the first guy on the block with a pink yak? hehe.

Jack.

NAGG
05-04-2008, 04:39 PM
What about blending with the background ( rather than the actual colour)
I'm thinking a pink , white , yellow against green tree background could spook surface feeding fish with such a contrast:-/ :-/ :-/

Nagg

tunaticer
05-04-2008, 04:51 PM
I think MOVEMENT is the biggest spooker of fish. Colours are merely shades of grey to most fish.

I have been wearing all different coloured clothes over the years and as long as I am not moving quickly or making a disturbance the fish will barely even notice me being there until a hook nestles into its mouth.

Jack.

Leigh77
05-04-2008, 05:56 PM
My kayak is orange and my wifes' is blue...I have experienced no noticable difference between the two when it comes to fishing. I have had fish strike no more then 2 foot from the yak, so I honestly think the colour makes no difference what so ever.

LeeannP
07-04-2008, 11:22 AM
We christened our new yellow/orange/red Viking Profish 45 on Awoonga last week. Trolling with the electric we managed three barras out of it in one session when the boats with combustion motors caught zilch trolling (in our group anyway).
The yak stands out like a sore thumb but the fish didn't seem to mind.

coucho
07-04-2008, 11:32 AM
It doesn't matter what colour your yak is Nagg. All yaks and boats cast a shadow plus nearly all fish are colourblind so reds and greens and some blues are all shades of grey to them. It is entirely personal appeal for yourself that the colour is for. Would you be the first guy on the block with a pink yak? hehe.

Jack.
I don't know if fish are colour blind if they are why are they differnt colours and why do fish like particular coloured lures at different times?

Bris_Vegas
07-04-2008, 12:04 PM
I would have to agree with Leeann. I have had granite, green and bright orange and I never noticed a difference as far as fish activity goes.

Leeann: Glad to hear the Pro Fish preformed. For Rob anyway :P

Angus

NAGG
07-04-2008, 12:10 PM
We christened our new yellow/orange/red Viking Profish 45 on Awoonga last week. Trolling with the electric we managed three barras out of it in one session when the boats with combustion motors caught zilch trolling (in our group anyway).
The yak stands out like a sore thumb but the fish didn't seem to mind.

Comon Leeann ..... Trolling:-X

Next thing you'll tell us is that you kept some barra for the table;)

Cheers

Nagg

PS .... So it seems that colour makes ..... no difference:o

Bris_Vegas
07-04-2008, 02:20 PM
NAGG i dont think any difference at all mate.

They are still way stealthier than a boat even running an electric.

Also consider if if you ever go offshire yakking (which Is what I got my new Viking Pro Fish for), on the frak chance (touch wood) that something was to happen to you, or the weather got hold or something. Id feel safer drifting out at sea in a yellow or orange kayak that might be better spotted.

Angus

NAGG
07-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Thanks all for your comments! While I'm a little surprised , I'll pass the good oil on to my mate!

Cheers

Nagg