PDA

View Full Version : 60HP Four Stroke Mercury Opinions

outo
05-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Just purchasing a new 60hp four stroke merc for the rear of my 445 Quintrex hornet.
Has anyone got one and advise me of their opinion and how its going.
Also can anyone advise of what prop their running and the results.
I have been looking at the 4 bladed trophy sports s/s merc prop or the vengeance which I have had before.Is the 4 blader worth buying what are the benefits

Thanks outo

Poseidon
05-04-2008, 05:04 PM
I have had nothing but praise and admiration for my 2006 model. I haven't tinkered too much with any prop options other than replaced the original with a solas prop after an incident with a submerged bit of timber, I wanted a spare anyway.
I only use mine to get around in the fresh mainly, so can't give you any big news about fuel consumption as I don't need to worry about it.

It runs quiet and pushes my 4.35m Bluefin around quite briskly when clear of the timber.

Hope this helps.

Regards Cameron.

bluefin59
05-04-2008, 05:18 PM
I'v got a 04 60mariner exact same just different paint and stickers i have at on a 4.5 mt bluefin predator it does 34 knts with 2 and gear i find it more than enough power for me .....matt Also i have the standard prop it all works good for me ...;D ;D ;D

phewy
05-04-2008, 05:30 PM
Hey there outo. Have a Mariner 60hp efi 4st that as you probably know is a Merc with a different paint job and decals. Its a couple of years old now so not sure if the brand newies are any different, but we are extremely pleased with ours. Its on a 455 poly frontrunner which are not the lightest boats of their size going around, but 2 up (and the dog up on her bed in the front...lol), gear and fuel gets up and goes pretty damn good. Have noticed in the very few times we have 4 up, the extra weight down the back does bog it down a bit and certainly takes longer to get up on the plane. Thought we would give a set of foils a go before changing the prop as we found a cheap set that would be easily taken off if it affected the boats handling too much, as alot of fellow boaties seem to assure will happen. Have previously had them on another bigger boat (cruisecraft) with fantastic results. Well, it certainly has enabled the poly to get and go alot easier with 2 up but have not had the chance to test her with 4 up, yet are certain it will make a big difference. No change on the boats handling....still excellent as a poly should be.
Anyway, back to the Mariner (merc)....it is extremely quiet at all rev ranges, frugal on fuel, starts within micro seconds every time hot or cold and have not had one ounce of trouble with it, same as we have had zero problems on all our previous 4 boats....all beautiful big black mercs. 8-)

Oh yes, the prop on it is a vengeance, but not sure on the size as it was already on when purchased. Can't run out and check either as it lives 400k's away......:'(

outo
05-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Thanks Guys,

Nothing but good reports there keen to get it now,taking it straight up to Monduran in 2 weeks,will try and run it once locally before I go.
Curious about these 4 bladed merc props though they look great.

Thanks again guys,hoping to nail a few silver freight trains at Monduran

Regards Outo

Steve B
05-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Bit like the boys, had a mariner 2004 4st on a 435 stessl, was awesome motor, it went very well with the standard 13p prop. I had a 15p at one stage, but it was a bit slow out of the hole. you will be OK with standard prop.

I have a 4 blade 19p S/S vengence on my 90 Mariner optmax. gets a 5m heavy Makocraft Frenzy out of the water pinning your ears back!!! Top end good too. Could probably go up to 21p I reckon.

outo
06-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Steve B, I see your from Gin Gin hope you don't mind a new south welshman coming up and trying to cacth a couple of your Barra, hows it fishing anyway,concentrated on the edges at Awoonga last year slow rollin resin headed squidgies did good.

Outo

Red60
09-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Hi Outo,

I to have a Merc 60 EFI also. Mine is a tiller steer on a 435 Tabs Territory. Being a platey with full floors and built like a tank it does carry a fair bit of weight, I would suggest a bit more than your 445. I have found the Merc to be faultless. I have had it for two and a half years now and it starts first time every time even after not being started for a few months. Economy is great. I had a standard Black Max Prop in a 13" pitch. It was good in the top end, but had poor acceleration with a couple of people on board. It would take a while to get on the plane but once it was up it would perform pretty well. A permatrim helped fix that to a large degree, time to plane was significantly quicker, but it still lacked punch off the mark. Acceleration, time to plane, and low speed planing is more important to me than top end. I ended up purchasing a Mercury Trophy Sport four blader in 12 pitch. It made a significant difference on my boat. Acceleration is noticibly improved, time to plane and plane speed is reduced, and it does not drop off the plane as easily. I have kept the Black Max as a spare but I won't be putting it back on in a hurry, unless I visit a stump riddled creek! It worked very well for me but not everyone may experience the same benefit. Check with your dealer some will offer a try before you buy on the stainless props as they are a fair expense. I had the option to return mine and swap it for another pitch if I was not satisfied. Shop around though, mine was $440 worst price quoted was $623!

Steve B
09-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Steve B, I see your from Gin Gin hope you don't mind a new south welshman coming up and trying to cacth a couple of your Barra, hows it fishing anyway,concentrated on the edges at Awoonga last year slow rollin resin headed squidgies did good.

Outo

Good luck Outo, Fishing has been really quiet!! It may change by the time your here. It certainly has began to warm up over last few days which could improve things.

You cockroaches can give it your best go!! we have trained the barra well to stay away from 'blue' lures!;D;D;D

Drooos
09-04-2008, 11:14 PM
Hey OUTO
I have a 60hp 4stroke merc with the 4blade trophy sports prop on my mako craft 445 estuary tracker.
It has big cast decks, big underfloor fuel, live wells so its quiet a heavy boat and it moves it along very well. I have never had a standard prop so cant tell you what the difference is. Very quiet and great fuel economy. Starts first time everytime. I cant say a bad thing about it, I highly recomend it. All i can do is repeat what the others have said top motor.

outo
10-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Droos,

Thanks to you and every one who replied, I had a look at it today the dealer had fitted it and was connecting everything,s...t it looked awsome on the rear.Droos do you knowif that 4 bladed prop is a 12 or 13 inch.
Monduran here I come

sempre
11-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Just got a 445 Stessco with a 2008 Merc 50 4 stroke , engine is brilliant , and absolutely flys . A 60 on the same size boat would be out of controll .

Jackinthebox
11-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Hey mate,

got a 50 4stroke tiller steer merc on a 469 stacer seahorse/nomad with the standard prop. It is virtually the same engine as the 60hp, goes great, quiet & no smoke, awesome on fuel. Used 10 litres in 3 hours yesterday stuffing around in the seaway doing some high speed trolling which is probably the worst fuel economy you can get with all the stop start acceleration, low speed planing, etc.

cheers,
Mick