PDA

View Full Version : Oil container = fuel container?

Cheech
05-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Just wondering what the reason is that you are not suppose to use oil containers for petrol.

I have a 20l container that I am thinking of using for fuel. Apart from the wall thickness being less than a proper fuel container, I cannot sea any other reason not to use it. The material is already holding petrochemical contents, so I cannot see that the type of plastic would be unsuitable.

Apart from not being as robust, is there any other reason why not?

Cheech

tunaticer
05-04-2008, 02:15 PM
In case of an accident involving that container leaking or rupturing you will have no chance of insurance protection or claims. Apart from that it will do the job nicely for a while.

Jack.

BaitThrower
05-04-2008, 03:16 PM
It would probably work, sure, but I'd rather spend that little extra on a new, proper petrol tank than end up with trouble later on that might cost 20x that amount. Also, does the oil container have a breather built in?

Outsider1
05-04-2008, 03:35 PM
I guess you have got to ask yourself the question, what if does not work?, for what ever reason, what would be the consequences??!!.

The result could be for example;

20 litres of fuel somewhere you don't want it, i.e. a leak;

or contaminated fuel;

or a fire;

or an explosion;

or something far less dramatic.

Now does saving $30 for a proper certified fuel container warrant that risk?.

Cheers

Dave

Mr__Bean
05-04-2008, 03:50 PM
I have one of those red 20 litre fuel containers, it surprises me how much pressure builds up in it on a hot day or if the sun gets on it.

If it was for transfer of fuel I would use it (boat to car etc), but I wouldn't store fuel in it.

- Darren

liltuffy
05-04-2008, 08:28 PM
hey Cheech, I've got seven or eight 20 litre steel oil containers (old two stroke oil drums) that I've been using to store unleaded for nigh on ten years, buy fuel when it's cheaper on Tuesday and fill the boat when needed. Yeah a couple have a slight leak on the small filler neck when they get knocked about bit but when they are stored in the shed there are no leaks at all.

I do find the plastic Fuchs 20 litre oil drums when filled with petrol do swell a tad when heated up, but if stored in a shed or garage then all should be OK.

It would be nice to have all the flash 20 litre red or black fuel drums lined up in the shed but thats another few hundred bucks I'd rather spend on someting else.

My thoughts anyway

Craig

Horse
05-04-2008, 08:35 PM
hey Cheech, I've got seven or eight 20 litre steel oil containers (old two stroke oil drums) that I've been using to store unleaded for nigh on ten years, buy fuel when it's cheaper on Tuesday and fill the boat when needed. Yeah a couple have a slight leak on the small filler neck when they get knocked about bit but when they are stored in the shed there are no leaks at all.

I do find the plastic Fuchs 20 litre oil drums when filled with petrol do swell a tad when heated up, but if stored in a shed or garage then all should be OK.

It would be nice to have all the flash 20 litre red or black fuel drums lined up in the shed but thats another few hundred bucks I'd rather spend on someting else.

My thoughts anyway

Craig

I would be pretty concerned about my house insurance if I had that much fuel stored in those containers

coucho
05-04-2008, 08:38 PM
mate the reason is casue petrol is more of an agressive thiner petrochemical then oil. As you probably well know plastic is also a petrochemical. plastic that contian oil can't nessicarly contain petrol all that well as the petrol will eat through the plastic at a far more agressive rate. Plastic to contain fuel needs to have longer chains of polymers then required to contain oil short term your container will be ok but long term the fuel may eat through it

coucho
05-04-2008, 08:49 PM
long story short it needs to be a harder more brittle plastic to contain shorter plomer thiner liquid petrochemical

Xahn1960
06-04-2008, 12:07 AM
Big difference between a combustible liquid and a flamable lquid, I think you'll find its not only your insurance you put at risk.... Easier and safer to just pay the extra and use the proper container.

Bill.

rumy1
06-04-2008, 12:17 AM
I have been using Fuche 20 lt oil containers for approx 1 year now and haven't had a problem but if it's getting thin then I am off to buy the real deal containers.
Supercheap here I come .......>

groverwa
06-04-2008, 05:37 AM
Another reason not to use oil containers according to RACQ at http://www.racq.com.au/cps/rde/xchg/racq_cms_production/hs.xsl/Motoring_Maint_Repairs_Foun_factsheet_static_elect ricity_ENA_HTML.htm
is: - "While the chances of igniting fuel with static electricity may be slim, it is possible. The most likely time for this to occur is when filling a container with fuel. If you do this, make sure the container is approved for use with fuel. Plastic oil containers are generally not suitable due to the material used in their manufacture being susceptible to static electricity. Metal containers are safe, as are plastic containers that are specifically made for fuel storage."

Also have a look at http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/worksafe/PDF/Safety_alerts/1999/18-99_Static_electicity_suspected_of_igniting_petrol. pdf -

A worker in the process of refuelling a petrol engine on a track machine using a plastic jerry can and funnel received serious burn injuries when the fuel ignited. Ignition is believed to have occurred as a result of a static electrical discharge in the form of a spark that ignited petrol vapours. His injuries were exacerbated when he dropped the fuel container spilling fuel onto his limbs. The burning fuel ignited the spilled fuel causing burns to the worker's arms and legs. The injuries were severe enough to require the worker to be hospitalised.

Brumby
06-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Groverwa has highlighted an important point about plastic containers, must say I didn't know that the proper petrol ones were any less susceptible to static build up than any others - but must say I make a point of grounding myself and the container BEFORE the lid comes off. Seen the unpleasant aftermath on an aircraft.

Outsider1
06-04-2008, 12:07 PM
If you were using the oil drums to carry and/or store Diesel I don't think there would much of a problem, but as most responses here have pointed out, using them to carry and store petrol is just too uncertain and risky. Too many things that could go wrong, and dire consequences if they did go wrong!.

It would be the same if you were using them to carry drinking water, again the consequences of them not being up to the job, for what ever reason, is potentially lethal and just not worth it in my humble opinion.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Dave

Cheech
07-04-2008, 07:45 AM
Thanks everyone for the replys.

I already have propper containers to hold 70 litres. I don't mind spending money on correct containers. I also don't see the reason to spend money if not needed. Thus the question.

The reason I need to cart petrol is for later this year when I go to Fraser Island. My v8 Explorer is a little thirsty so I will be taking up as much as I can so I don't have to pay $2.00 a litre on the island.

As it will be a short period, I could probably use it based on the answers on the plastic type and wall thichness, But the static electricity is a bit iffy.

Thanks for the responses. I think it will stay at home.

Cheech