PDA

View Full Version : the boat or the missus...

johnny roger
05-04-2008, 12:54 PM
well here it is...another thread about a newby. yep thats me. now when i say newby, i mean bloody new. i am about to buy first 'real' boat. at the moment i have a 3.7 M stessl tinny that i bought 2nd hand a couple of months ago. and as some of you may have read in my other thread, it turned out to be a disaster!
so anyway, am looking for a bigger and better boat. Thanks to all the guys that have given me their inputs about different types of boats during the week.
now here is the situation...i want a boat to start a new hobby of 'boating and fishing.' i've always dabbled a bit in fishing from jettys, and beaches etc without much luck. i've never really owned a boat, but am boat 'savvy' as i work on the water anyway.
now the missus says that i am just going through another 'whim' and that spending 20K on a whim is going to be a waste of money. she says why dont i spend the money on upgrading the bathrooms!!!>:(
i mean as a bloke, we gotta have our little bit of 'my time' and stress relief etc. boating/fishing i think could be that. i mean its a no win situation really. if we dont have a hobby, then the missus says get out and find a hobby or something! if we find a hobby, its only a passing whim!:-/
so all you hard core life long boatys out there, you tell me...did you start out on a 'whim' and never looked back?
and to all you other newbys out there that are hopefully in the same situation and the stage of life as i am....what do you think?

garman1
05-04-2008, 01:08 PM
Trust me I have dabbled with both bathroom renovation and although new to boating(not a tin can)................. I must admit renovating never beat fishing................ I think the noise, dust, grouting and the prices of taps did it for me.

Ahh now on to fishing

Garry

on-one
05-04-2008, 01:30 PM
gary's right I'm half way through renovating the second bathroom and it's no fun at all.

One thing I would suggest is if your wife's not very supportive get the most comfortable boat you can, it's much much easier to get out on the water if your wife enjoys using the boat too

buggerit
05-04-2008, 01:36 PM
I've worked in or around the building industry for 35 years , so , all i can suggest is buy the bloody boat , tell your Mrs that you can get the bathrooms renovated by an Ausfish chippy , then give her the bad news that we are all busy . From there it's simple , give us a call and we'll go fishing .

Good Luck
Buggerit

Nico.d.R
05-04-2008, 01:41 PM
i say go the boat for sure , and if it is relaxing time you want dont get a boat that is to comfy because you wont be relaxing much if she comes out with you lol .

nico

johnny roger
05-04-2008, 01:45 PM
gary's right I'm half way through renovating the second bathroom and it's no fun at all.

One thing I would suggest is if your wife's not very supportive get the most comfortable boat you can, it's much much easier to get out on the water if your wife enjoys using the boat too

Yeah i think you have a good point there on one. they like to be comfy. and i guess once she sees the kids enjoyin me pulling them around in the tube, then she may come around to the idea even more.
but as far as me being on a whim???:-/

johnny roger
05-04-2008, 01:47 PM
i say go the boat for sure , and if it is relaxing time you want dont get a boat that is to comfy because you wont be relaxing much if she comes out with you lol .

nico

good one mate! :D like it.

soulfish
05-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Long time dead i'd get rid of the mrs & then work out how much she costs you a year then put the extra money into an even bigger boat .you could get yourself a 7m twin outboard rig,a house cleaner and even if petrol hits $2 a litre you'd still be miles in front.

Xahn1960
05-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Get your wife on board with the idea first, I was lucky my Mrs actually loves fishing and boating, it was her idea to get one in the first place. Makes life much easier :) Some of us are just lucky I guess......

MarkDiver
05-04-2008, 06:43 PM
You know the answer, can you commit? Who is wearing the pants?

Just do it, you won't have regrets but I do strongly agree with Xahn1960.

ENJOY!

FNQCairns
05-04-2008, 06:55 PM
JR where in FNQ are you? feel free to send me a PM if you are interested in a trip out or two, depending etc they are usually short notice and a reef trip and not real often but it might help you decide where you stand with this past time, sure you might find some other spots on boats up here also.

cheers fnq

Wahoo
05-04-2008, 06:57 PM
JR where in FNQ are you? feel free to send me a PM if you are interested in a trip out or two, depending etc they are usually short notice and a reef trip and not real often but it might help you decide where you stand with this past time, sure you might find some other spots on boats up here also.

cheers fnq

can i come too:D

Daz

Poodroo
05-04-2008, 06:58 PM
There is a lot of give and take in a relationship that's for sure but when I first met my other half and started courting her she learned very quickly from the start she was dating a mad keen fisho so she knew what she was in for from the beginning. She was told from the start that there was no way that she should expect me to stop doing what I love for the sake of the relationship so as time went by it was inevitable that eventually I would expand my hobby into the wonderful world of boating. It's all about compromise however and keeping a balance. I have to make sure that she does the things she loves too. Unfortunately that is shopping. :-X ::)

Poodroo

FNQCairns
05-04-2008, 07:22 PM
can i come too:D

Daz

Yeah Daz no problem, just leave your weather at home:D

cheers fnq

levinge
05-04-2008, 07:37 PM
I must be the only lucky bloke on the forum. Missus had the idea for the upgrade and its 46k. The only drawback is she gets to spend the same amount on the house for Renovations, but I am not doing the work. paying some else to do the shitty stuff, got better things to do like FISH.

johnny roger
05-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Get your wife on board with the idea first, I was lucky my Mrs actually loves fishing and boating, it was her idea to get one in the first place. Makes life much easier :) Some of us are just lucky I guess......
Xahn, sounds like a good idea. i think the only way im going to get her to warm to the idea is big glossy pictures!
so tell me xahn...where do you float a boat in mt isa?

johnny roger
05-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Long time dead i'd get rid of the mrs & then work out how much she costs you a year then put the extra money into an even bigger boat .you could get yourself a 7m twin outboard rig,a house cleaner and even if petrol hits $2 a litre you'd still be miles in front.

holey hell soulfish. a rig that size, and with that kind of power will shoot me right over the damn wall. :o

johnny roger
05-04-2008, 10:03 PM
There is a lot of give and take in a relationship that's for sure but when I first met my other half and started courting her she learned very quickly from the start she was dating a mad keen fisho so she knew what she was in for from the beginning. She was told from the start that there was no way that she should expect me to stop doing what I love for the sake of the relationship so as time went by it was inevitable that eventually I would expand my hobby into the wonderful world of boating. It's all about compromise however and keeping a balance. I have to make sure that she does the things she loves too. Unfortunately that is shopping. :-X ::)

Poodroo
ahhh yess...shopping. what do the ladies call it? 'retail therapy'. as most of you know, going with the missus when she wants some retail therapy, is like walking through a mind field. especially when she says "do you like this?" and you say YEAH...looks great. " then she says..."you dont mean that." bugga me...can't win!:-/

frank100
05-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Mate,
The renovations are a passing fad ! The love of Fishing is a lifetime thing !
(you decide ! )

Regards
Frank

dogsbody
05-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Just a thought,,, Why don't you install the old tinnie as the new bathtub. That way however it turns out you still get a run in the boat.

Dave.

garman1
05-04-2008, 10:45 PM
I must be lucky too by the looks of things, wife and I went to a boat show and came out with a navman 8084..... with the statement "get what ever ya want ya work hard for it"

Just need a dvd player and if things get quiet Mandy can watch a dvd or two....
Oh she likes fishing too...... that helped too

Garry

Xahn1960
05-04-2008, 11:43 PM
Xahn, sounds like a good idea. i think the only way im going to get her to warm to the idea is big glossy pictures!
so tell me xahn...where do you float a boat in mt isa?

You don't :( You lug the thing 7 hours drive up to the Gulf....... There are 2 lakes close by but I'll only go there if I've played with it and need to test it out.

Bill.

johnny roger
06-04-2008, 12:55 AM
Just a thought,,, Why don't you install the old tinnie as the new bathtub. That way however it turns out you still get a run in the boat.

Dave.
Dogsbody...i like it. but...if you read my other thread "buying a second hand boat"...it has holes in it, so the bathtub thing wont work. but in saying that, i have had the hole welded up, but i would not be comfortable in a boat tub that has that sinking feeling! :D
John

johnny roger
06-04-2008, 01:21 AM
I must be lucky too by the looks of things, wife and I went to a boat show and came out with a navman 8084..... with the statement "get what ever ya want ya work hard for it"

Just need a dvd player and if things get quiet Mandy can watch a dvd or two....
Oh she likes fishing too...... that helped too

Garry
I like the statement. might have to copy and paste than one and send it to her. Now the DVD idea is good too.
John