PDA

View Full Version : Offshore Fraser Island on Baitrunner

dayoo
04-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Frank the fishing machine and I did a guest appearance on charter boat "Baitrunner" yesterday. We fished wide of the southern end of Fraser Island with six other fishos and managed a good feed of reefies.

We targeted red emperor and reefies as the snapper and big pearlies haven't arrived in this area in numbers as yet.

Frank managed a 62cm red on a flasher jig when he was fishing for hussar. I got a good AJ and as well as a bag of mixed reefies which included a Moonlighter hussar (Lutjanus kasmira), a rare catch in these waters.

Over the part few trips offshore from Rainbow Beach we have caught fish that you do not normally seen so far south, like squirrel fish, Robinson's sea Bream and the little but tasty Moonlighters.

Attached are a few picks of part of the haul caught by 8 of us.

Cheers
Barry

kitty_cat
04-04-2008, 11:10 AM
good haul barry we were out there yesterday as well fishing was a bit slow as we only boated 1 red at 8.5 kgs but not sure about your call on the pearlies our best were 5.8 kgs 5.1 kgs and 4.95 kgs(all weighed on digital scales) with a few good ones over the 2kg mark
unbelivable pearlies i will gather some photos but you will see them on creek to coast as thats why we were out there

wayne

snappa
04-04-2008, 11:30 AM
i guess you will be hosting your own show soon

"brisbane to tin can"

its a bloody BIG day

now i have all the fish to fillet....

bugga

HYJACK
04-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Nice Work Guys, Great Stuff! I Heard That If Yor Ever Up That Way That Bait Runner Is The Boat To Go On! Hopefully I Will Get Up There Oneday And Give Em Go!!!!

Cheers

Hyjack

dayoo
04-04-2008, 11:59 AM
good haul barry we were out there yesterday as well fishing was a bit slow as we only boated 1 red at 8.5 kgs but not sure about your call on the pearlies our best were 5.8 kgs 5.1 kgs and 4.95 kgs(all weighed on digital scales) with a few good ones over the 2kg mark
unbelivable pearlies i will gather some photos but you will see them on creek to coast as thats why we were out there

wayne

Wayne
The skipper didn't target pearlies at his usual pearlie spots but said that he has been catching a few up to 3kgs. He is leaving his best pearlie spot for the Rainbow Beach fishing comp where Frank and I have caught them up to 6kg in past comps.

If you are ever looking for two deckies, the fishing machine and I are available anytime. We have done three offshore trips over the past week and are feeling a bit stuffed at the moment.

Cheers
Barry

kitty_cat
04-04-2008, 02:19 PM
same here barry few trips out in the last couple of weeks and ill back you up iam stuffed its a big day up there but always worth it

skipalong
04-04-2008, 05:00 PM
awesome haul guys

littlemac
05-04-2008, 03:12 PM
thats a mighty fine catch and the freezers will be stocked for a while

well done

Pistol_P
05-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Thats a huge haul of fish....

Great going!!....8-)

Pete

abbot_86
05-04-2008, 09:17 PM
nice red bag there mate. it would probably cross my mind to sent mr moonlight hussar back down with an 8/0 in his back

dayoo
05-04-2008, 09:56 PM
nice red bag there mate. it would probably cross my mind to sent mr moonlight hussar back down with an 8/0 in his back

Thought of doing just that but the skipper said they tasted as good as red emperor so I changed my mind. Had the two fillets for dinner tonight and the skipper was right.
Cheers
Barry

dayoo
06-04-2008, 07:22 AM
prefer quality over quantity myself, but then again gotta keep the punters happy. hopefully this perlie spots a good one will be keeping an eye on the gps that weekend.

Its a bloody good spot as it has produced the winning pearlie for the past 3 Rainbow Beach Fishing comps.
Attached are two pics of three pearlies all over 5kgs gilled and gutted taken from the spot. Heaviest went 6.1kg (5.45kg gilled and gutted at weighin) last year.

Largest pearlie Ive seen went 8.1kg caught 5 years ago on the shelf off Sandy Cape.

Cheers
Barry

SunnyCoastMark
06-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Hey Guys,
I am probably going to get flamed for this - but here goes.

We all like to catch a good feed - and that's great! But I can't help but wonder how many of those fish will actually get eaten and how many will go to waste?:-/

There must be close to 200 fish there! I know guys pay a lot to go on a charter and need to get their money's worth - but images like that don't help our cause aginst the greenies and all these fish management plans we keep hearing about.

We need to be smart about this or pretty soon we won't be able to fish anywhere worthwhile.:(

Barry, I'm not having a go at you, but your photo just got me thinking.

Mark

dayoo
06-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Mark,
Average catch was 15 fish per person on the boat. Apart from the reds most fish were average size parrot, hussar, moses and gold spot wrass none of which are on any endangered list in fact I've seen more hussar and parrot around over the past 5 years than in my previous 40 years of offshore fishing. My share of the catch was only 12 as I was targeting reds and using 8/0 hooks. Frank caught the same amount and his share will be eaten within 2 weeks by his family of 6 adults.

I eat fish twice a day as I have had a heart transplant and need the omega oils from the fish. What the other guys on board do with their fish is there business but I guess that most would be eaten by them or relatives and friends who can't afford to pay the high cost for fish in the supermarkets.

Frank and I target big fish but if a 1kg parrot or moses pearch happens to take your bait we are not going to throw them back just to see them float away even after deflating the air bladder.

The charter boats at Rainbow Beach are crewed by responsible people who are not going to flog out the reefs and destroy their business. In fact the owner of "Baitrunner" assists Fisheries in the tagging of juvenile reds and snapper so that proper analysis can be made of the fish populations and growth rates.

He tagged and released over 1500 reds last year alone and has a close working relationship with Fisheries.

Finally there is no shortage of fish species on the continental shelf off the sunshine coast due to the relatively small numbers fishing out wide. Fisheries are more concerned with the pressure on the inshore saltwater fish stocks due to the heavy fishing pressure.

In future I will think twice about posting reports on the 40 or so offshore trips I do a year so that I won't offend the handfull of greenies that view this site.

Cheers
Barry

lizard bribie
06-04-2008, 02:18 PM
NICE FEED GUYS BAITRUNNER IS AGOOD TRIP BUT IF YOUR UP THAT WAy try ed falconer on the keely rose cheers lizard bribie

nathan dumschat
06-04-2008, 08:34 PM
good comment on the amount of fish you caught . the bloke having a cry is just jealous.I know tony(owner) and zoot(skipper) really well. they run a top notch charter bussiness and really police bag limits,size limits etc so they protect the industry they make a living from . its a shame some recreational fisherman didnt do the same as some of the fish frames you see at ramps etc are often undersize

might see you at rainbow comp and try and better your pearly record , might be a big ask as there top notch pearlys the boys get on to.

catch ya later

SunnyCoastMark
06-04-2008, 10:37 PM
good comment on the amount of fish you caught . the bloke having a cry is just jealous.I know tony(owner) and zoot(skipper) really well. they run a top notch charter bussiness and really police bag limits,size limits etc so they protect the industry they make a living from . its a shame some recreational fisherman didnt do the same as some of the fish frames you see at ramps etc are often undersize

might see you at rainbow comp and try and better your pearly record , might be a big ask as there top notch pearlys the boys get on to.

catch ya later

::) Mate, nothing to to with being jealous - Blind Freddy can see what will end up happening. - "No fishing" zones everywhere.......................and then we will all be crying.

We don't need to give the greenies any more ammunition than they already have.

The Charter Boat operators are on the front line - and will be the first to feel the pinch. They have to be smart and so do we.

"There are none so blind as those who will not see"

Mark

dayoo
07-04-2008, 08:53 AM
::) Mate, nothing to to with being jealous - Blind Freddy can see what will end up happening. - "No fishing" zones everywhere.......................and then we will all be crying.

We don't need to give the greenies any more ammunition than they already have.

The Charter Boat operators are on the front line - and will be the first to feel the pinch. They have to be smart and so do we.

"There are none so blind as those who will not see"

Mark

Mark
Settle down, you are getting a bit paranoid. That catch was for 10 people well within bag limits.

Do you advocate that nobody on this site post pics of their catch so that we don't upset the greenies?

As a former State Government employee I personally know a number of senior employees in DPI and Fisheries and know that they would not let their decisions be ruled by the green lobby. The fishing industry in this State generates an enormous amount of money which finds its way back to the State Government in the form of GST

At the moment we have size and bag limits which were set after careful deliberation by Fisheries. This has resulted in the resurgence of fish numbers like snapper over the past two years and red emperor numbers are on the increase judging by the number of undersized reds caught and released off Frazer Island over recent years.

Log onto the greenies website and give them a serve instead of preaching to members of Ausfish who enjoy fishing and sharing their stories with each other.

If you are up at the Rainbow Beach comp this year ask around and you will find me, come over and have a drink and chat with me, I'm not a bad bloke. LOL

Cheers
Barry

SunnyCoastMark
07-04-2008, 11:01 AM
Mark
Settle down, you are getting a bit paranoid. That catch was for 10 people well within bag limits.

Do you advocate that nobody on this site post pics of their catch so that we don't upset the greenies?

As a former State Government employee I personally know a number of senior employees in DPI and Fisheries and know that they would not let their decisions be ruled by the green lobby. The fishing industry in this State generates an enormous amount of money which finds its way back to the State Government in the form of GST

At the moment we have size and bag limits which were set after careful deliberation by Fisheries. This has resulted in the resurgence of fish numbers like snapper over the past two years and red emperor numbers are on the increase judging by the number of undersized reds caught and released off Frazer Island over recent years.

Log onto the greenies website and give them a serve instead of preaching to members of Ausfish who enjoy fishing and sharing their stories with each other.

If you are up at the Rainbow Beach comp this year ask around and you will find me, come over and have a drink and chat with me, I'm not a bad bloke. LOL

Cheers
Barry

Barry - I don't think paranoid is the right word - "concerned" would be more correct. This is not about giving anybody a serve or preaching to Ausfish members - this is just commonsense. I don't know if you have been keeping up with recent developements re marine park zones in Moreton Bay - but they are coming and the actual extent is yet to be decided.

This is about education - and being smarter than the opposite side. We all know the greenies are over the top and therefore it is in our best interest to limit the amount of ammunition that we freely give to them. ie photo's of large catches - it doesn't matter how many caught them - or what they are for - The photo's would be used without explanation.

It is rare that someone puts up photo's of such large catches so the majority of photo's aren't a problem.

We have to realise what we are up against NOW - it is no good crying foul after the fact.

Read a few issues of QFM from the past year - they have an ongoing column - devoted to this stuff. Believe me when I say "commonsense" is not a word inthe greenies vocabulary and people in government are listening. Do not underestimate them.

Mark

revs57
07-04-2008, 12:22 PM
G'ay Barry,

I for one hope you don't think twice before posting reports and photo's. I love reading the reports and seeing the photo's of you and Frank the fishing machines laatest adventures. Everyone will have an opinion, but this is ausfish, and we are in the offshore fishing reports section.

I want to know who's catching what and celebrate with them. I want to know whats happening and where the action is, cause if I'm gonna prop up the failing economy with my fishing bucks, I want to know I can get at least some return for investment while still being responsible for the future of fishing.

As you pointed out skippers on charters are responsible people. On our recent Swains trip, every marginal fish was measured and many returned that were justers - we could have kept them as we were well within bag limit and size parameter but like you, we fish for the future.

Sadly, the policy makers all for political gain, will make the rules and regulations regardless of what science and anecdotal evidence suggests to the contrary - that size and bag limits are working - but that has been done to death in fishing news section.

This is the offshore report section, you've written a ripper of a report given us some excellent pics to encourage us and keep the fires burning while the wind is up.

So mate, I hope keep posting your reports and photo's

Cheers

Rhys

Fixation
07-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Hey Barry,

I hope you weren't serious when you said you were going to think twice about posting up your reports. I personally get alot of enjoyment out of reading them and seeing the photos of the big brutes you guys pull.

It keeps our chins up when the winds up or we aren't able to head out. There is nothing wrong with any of those photos mate.

This is what makes ausfish so special - guys being able to freely share about their passion. It would be a real shame if we all stopped posting our experences and adventures.

My 2 bobs worth anyway Barry. Keep up the reports mate.

Regards,
Craig.

seapup
07-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Good haul of fish there Bazza well done mate! Got me fired up for some winter sessions up that way with the Plastics!
Cheers,
Benny.

SunnyCoastMark
07-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Craig and Benny,
Don't get me wrong here = I enjoy Barry's reports just as much as everyone else. The photo was a bit of an eye opener and got me thinking that's all.

I mean the photo's in Craig and Benny's avatars - great fish and you have every right to be proud of them - as does Barry. The point I am making is that when greenies or proponents of large green zones in local fisheries see and get hold of photo's like that - their case is reinforced. - That is a BAD THING.

So we need to be careful what we put up in a public forum - It's not hard to work out.

I'm not saying don't post - that is silly. - Just be careful.

At the moment no-one really gives it a second thought and we need to - otherwise you will find your favourite marks becoming green zones and nobody wants that.

I have commented on this in a couple of threads - purely to get people thinking about what we are up against - it is a fact of life that often the Noisy minority (greenies) get their way just because they kick up the biggest stink and present a well researched case. Most of the information is from the "other side" in this case - us.

Am I making any sense here?

Mark

Vindicator
07-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Wayne

If you are ever looking for two deckies, the fishing machine and I are available anytime. We have done three offshore trips over the past week and are feeling a bit stuffed at the moment.

Cheers
Barry

Barry,

Theres always a spot on my boat for you and frank. Just turn up with all those productive marks from the alexander and we'll be on our merry way. lol!!!

Cheers
Kezza

dayoo
07-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Rhys and Craig
Will continue to post reports. We have two big trips planned for "Alexander" in the next few weeks weather permitting and another special trip on "Baitrunner" early May.

Kezza

Most of the marks on "Alexander" have been found scouting around near well known marks. It pays to spend some time each trip looking and testing new marks.
You should do a tandem with "Alexander" next time we hit the Sunshine Coast.
Maybe you and Pepe the skipper can exchange some marks.

Cheers
Barry
Barry

whatscracken
07-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Keep the reports coming Barry. Some people are never happy no matter which way the dice rolls. It all legal and its all good!

Spot82
11-04-2008, 10:43 PM
Do any of you boys head of rainbow in your own boats? The old man wants to head out of Rainbow a lot more often (have a 625 Cruisecraft which i usually skipper for him :) ) and it is often better to head out with atleast one other boat incase something happens. We have some very good marks which we have fished that were given to us by previous skipper of baitrunner. Parents are pretty much locals in rainbow as did all the landscaping in the caravan park, paved main street, landscaped numerous houses up on the hill and in rainbow shores. Anyways if anyone does shoot me a PM, might be able to organise a trip in the not to distant future.

Trip on baitrunner is always a good day and you always get a good ed of fish, highly recommend it to anyone.

fleety77
12-04-2008, 10:57 PM
Craig and Benny,
Don't get me wrong here = I enjoy Barry's reports just as much as everyone else. The photo was a bit of an eye opener and got me thinking that's all.

I mean the photo's in Craig and Benny's avatars - great fish and you have every right to be proud of them - as does Barry. The point I am making is that when greenies or proponents of large green zones in local fisheries see and get hold of photo's like that - their case is reinforced. - That is a BAD THING.

So we need to be careful what we put up in a public forum - It's not hard to work out.

I'm not saying don't post - that is silly. - Just be careful.

At the moment no-one really gives it a second thought and we need to - otherwise you will find your favourite marks becoming green zones and nobody wants that.

I have commented on this in a couple of threads - purely to get people thinking about what we are up against - it is a fact of life that often the Noisy minority (greenies) get their way just because they kick up the biggest stink and present a well researched case. Most of the information is from the "other side" in this case - us.

Am I making any sense here?

Mark

sorry sunnycoast obviously know one here cares so maybe its time to "hoo roo" and hug a tree, barry post up mate nice haul u shouldn have to explain yourself to anyone.. well done keep it up!!!!! and sunnycoast mate you sound like a wining shelia, where here to talk fish

SunnyCoastMark
14-04-2008, 10:02 PM
sorry sunnycoast obviously know one here cares so maybe its time to "hoo roo" and hug a tree, barry post up mate nice haul u shouldn have to explain yourself to anyone.. well done keep it up!!!!! and sunnycoast mate you sound like a wining shelia, where here to talk fish

Fleety - are you really that dumb? Who are you anyway? You need to learn some respect before you go mouthing off young fella.

We're here to talk fish? which you have been doing for a whole what? - how long have you been a member here? A couple of months?::)

What do you think I've been talking about - bread and crackers?

I think you need a snapper to the head.:P

Your comments have no value.

pursuit001
15-04-2008, 06:09 AM
nice a haul but no wonder why places are fished out cant see the point in taking so many fish.

Getout
15-04-2008, 06:34 AM
I think you need a snapper to the head.:P

A good snapperizing never hurt anyone.

skipalong
16-04-2008, 07:00 PM
i might have to book my self a trip sound and looks like they produce the goods every trip out

dayoo
16-04-2008, 10:23 PM
i might have to book my self a trip sound and looks like they produce the goods every trip out

Check out the new website for "Baitrunner" www.rainbowbeachfishing.com.au

Cheers
Barry

Fish Guts
17-04-2008, 09:25 AM

legsy11
17-12-2008, 09:39 PM
mate youd be happy with that but not jumping up and down thats 4 sure.cmon 15 -20 fish in a session on grounds that r supposed to be the best.mate nice catch but for some to say to much is the joke.anyway good luck on your next trip mate.

TimiBoy
18-12-2008, 07:10 AM
Barry ol' Buddy, after my holiday, I'm taking you out there, so you can show me how to do it.

We will fill the boat (within the limits of course) and all "justies" will go back.

And when we post pics of our pile of fish, I will be proud, you will be proud, and the Greenies can go and get stuffed. We are developing a stance to stand up to that rubbish, and personally, I'm not giving them another inch.

Cheers,

Tim

trueblue
18-12-2008, 08:35 AM
lots and lots of filleting there!

well done

Frank OO
18-12-2008, 09:09 AM
Holy Crap Barry,

I hope you like eating Fish.

Great load of fish mate.

Frank OO

thelump
18-12-2008, 01:39 PM

well done

I agree but filleting never seems that bad with a beer sitting next to you and a very vivid memory of the fun you have just had. Until you cut a finger off due to too much beer and not keeping your mind on the job. Always a downside;D

PinHead
18-12-2008, 05:01 PM

well done

I hope he has finished filleting them..the original post was back in April

-spiro-
18-12-2008, 05:05 PM
man life must be boaring dragging post back out from 8 months ago

dayoo
18-12-2008, 07:25 PM
legsy11 must be really boared as spiro said. Lucky the fish weren't snapper because I would have had some explaining to do to Fisheries and would have taken ages to fill out a snapper catch card.

Yes pinhead the fish have been filleted, eaten and flushed back into the environment as nutrient.

Cheers
Barry