PDA

View Full Version : child proofing

on-one
03-04-2008, 05:40 PM
We've got a 6 month old and need to make some modifications to the boat so we can take him with us. I want to build, or have built, some sort of barrier so the v birth can act as a cot and play pen. Has anyone done or seen anything similar? Thanks.

Roughasguts
03-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Just one very important thing to consider, and that is the exhausrt fumes that get sucked in to the forward cab, they can kill!

So leave the hatch open at all times and maybe run some bilge blowers. But preferably don't let the baby sleep in the cab while underway.

on-one
04-04-2008, 07:13 AM
Thanks, am right in thinking this is more of an issue with fast petrol boats sucking the fumes back into the boat (like running a station wagon with the back window down)? We've got a, (very), slow diesel boat.

Roughasguts
04-04-2008, 08:23 AM
On-one, don't let the slow speed fool you I find the most fumes while doing trolling speeds.

Mind you a diesel would be heaps better and healthier, well at least thats what I read somewhere, I hope it's correct information.

PADDLES
04-04-2008, 08:50 AM
on-one, we have been taking out our little kiddo, since she was about 11 months or so. we keep her in a jacket at all times on the boat and basically have to have eyes in the back of our heads at all times too. we don't use barriers of any sort because they get in the way and in an emergency could hamper your access to get your kid out of the boat in a hurry. we have considered a harness and lanyard of some sort but the safety aspect of getting her out of the boat in an emergency holds us back. we overnighted with her for the first time on the australia day long weekend and only took the jacket off when all the camper covers were closed up.

JEWIENEWIE
04-04-2008, 09:21 AM
I have a two year old and she comes out with me and the wife, never just with myself for safety reasons. When she was 6months old i thought it would be good to have a baby seat mounted on the baci seat for her to be safe in, but as paddles said if you need to get out of the boat quick or for some bizarre reason your boat overturns, the baby seat turns into a death trap. I wouldnt be able to get her out in time if she is strapped in so i abandoned the idea. Now we just make sure that she has her life jacket on before she evens gets in the boat. She is well awae of the "no jacket no baot ride" rule. Once she sees me prepin the boat now she automaticly grabls her jacket.
Whatever modifications you do just always remember worse case sceniro. If this happens, what do i do. If the boat overturns, can i get her out etc.
The biggest problem i have found in taking her is that she has great enjoyment in throwing things over the edge!
Nothing puts her to sleep better than the noise of a 30 merc 2 stoke at wot!!!
works every time. Its also a great excuse to put the boat in. " Oh well honey, she looks restless, better put the boat in so she can go to sleep"
Jewie

on-one
04-04-2008, 01:08 PM
Thanks roughasguts have done some searching on the net and the sites I found said diesel is safer but recommended replacing any old exhaust components so my wife's told me to replace the entire exhaust system - any chance of you suggesting radar as a child safety aid?

Paddles and Jewienewie have thought about restraint versus getting him out in a hurry and we've bought him a jacket and will only be restraining him in a booster seat whilst docking as it requires two people so my wife wont be able to hold him. The biggest problem is the bed is too high to just leave him on it as it's about 3 feet off the ground

JEWIENEWIE
04-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Juat a thought mate, when myself and the family hired a motor home in nz, the bed above the driver and passenger seats had a rail with a net attached to it. This was perfect as our little one was only 6 months at the time, we could put her to bed put the rail up and it was impossible for her to fall out.
Hard to explain but really simple and cheap to do.
Jewie

PADDLES
04-04-2008, 01:36 PM
you won't need radar, as long as they float they'll make heaps of noise.

Dirtysanchez
04-04-2008, 02:46 PM
For the bed I did a simple mod for our campervan for when my son was a toddler, I bought one of those wooden railings from the baby shop, about 1.4mtrs long, and some R/A brackets from the hardware, and attached it so the bracket and a small length of flat timber went right under the width of the mattress.
It never fell over and Josh never fell out of bed.. it's quite a drop of about 3 foot, so sounds similar to your situation

Russell

on-one
05-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Thanks all, I like the idea of the rail with some netting I think it'll do what i need