PDA

View Full Version : Spear Fishing Blue Parrot in the Rainbow!

nowornever
03-04-2008, 04:21 PM
I have heard some disturbing reports, that some people have been floging the hell out of the big parrot in the rainbow spearing them. Please if you happen to come across this boat and these people.

Feel free to throw sinkers at there boat ! Grab there license number or what but do something before the stuff for all of us.>:(

Vic1
03-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Good luck diving in the Rainbow....big big sharks there all the time:P

nowornever
03-04-2008, 04:43 PM
Good luck diving in the Rainbow....big big sharks there all the time:PMate on the small tides these guys are going down there and cleaning up all the big blue parrot. Maybe you can get one of your shark mates to go give them a touch up.

Why-ting
03-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Im unaware of the spear fishing regulations, Is it illeagal to spear parrot in the rainbow?

Whytey

nowornever
03-04-2008, 07:19 PM
Im unaware of the spear fishing regulations, Is it illeagal to spear parrot in the rainbow?

WhyteyI gues its the ethics mate, I personally dont need to know if its legal to know its wrong.

Horse
03-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Its legal but only a few would be capable of fishing tjhe area. There are some fair sized gentlemen in grey suits that regularly patrol that area. I would not dive it for quids

coucho
03-04-2008, 07:30 PM
i don't agree with takin more then you need for a feed specially when your spearing. But what ever you do don't throw a snapper head at them if you do don't post it on here.

nowornever
04-04-2008, 08:05 AM
nothing wrong with people taking a feed be it spear or line fishing.Onya mate, and as if they are just taking a feed how many parrot at 10 kl you got to kill to get a feed?

hondaguy
04-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Not exceding their bag limits were they? Report if they were or let other enjoy their legal right to fish. Have a go at spear fishing yourself if it is so easy. when you get down there you will see all the lead sinkers and fishing line left behind. No wonder our fishings rights are so easily taken when we fight amongest our selves so much.

ffejsmada
04-04-2008, 12:19 PM
how many parrot at 10 kl you got to kill to get a feed?

I presume 10 kl means 10 kilo?????
If that's the case, the answer to your question of "how many parrot at 10 kl you got to kill to get a feed?" would be 1 I'd reckon. That'd be a very nice feed.

Dirtysanchez
04-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Interesting, and I agree, one would be ample, however is a parrott fish that big edible, or would it be old and coarse ?

Cheers

Cobia Kid
04-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Not exceding their bag limits were they? Report if they were or let other enjoy their legal right to fish. Have a go at spear fishing yourself if it is so easy. when you get down there you will see all the lead sinkers and fishing line left behind. No wonder our fishings rights are so easily taken when we fight amongest our selves so much.

Too write mate, spearfishing is a great way too fish but you have to fish
responsable. Ive read about many anglers taking too many fish. BUT.. it
is dissapointing to see that a 15 year old (me) can see sense in how many fish is
a feed compaird to 25-45 year old men.:-/
cheers, jamie

nigelr
04-04-2008, 04:37 PM
Well said Cobia Kid!
From my perspective, it is very encouraging that you can see the sense in just taking a feed or two.
Greed ain't good in any shape or form.
Cheers.

hondaguy
04-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Cobia kid: good to see you partake in the art of spearfishing, hope you dive with a buddy system for safety. I don't ever get my bag limit as the hunt is worthwhile and just to get in range of a fish and then not shoot. Similar to catch and release on line. But there are rogues in every group of people that tranish the rest.

Mexikan
04-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Spearfishing like most things is a good thing until abused there is always someone who will give the genuine sportsman a bad name.
When I was at Straddie at Amity Pt I noticed a spearfisherman take a parrot which had to be under size or just on.I was thinking that you wouldnt even shoot at something that was border line would you?Water can be deceptive and you cant shoot and ask questions later the fish is dead!!
As far as catching a feed- I think there would be a stronger desire to pull the trigger on a fish for some as compared to actually catching and releasing a fish on a line-even though the fish might be speared for 'a feed ' it could be for these 'rainbow parrot killers' the excitement of the hunt and kill not a feed of fish.
Mex

BARRAkid
04-04-2008, 08:12 PM
I snorkle & spearfish and there is nothing wrong with it there is legal limits (same as fishing) most people think spearfisher men kill everything they see but that isnt true like fisherman there is always people that don't follow the law.
If you think about it fisherman would kill alot more fish then spearfisher men as there is heaps more people that fish.When the water is nice and clear and im over a reef i just cant help to jump in and have a look around and you learn alot aswell.I fish ,snorkle and spearfish and love them all.
cheers BK

nowornever
04-04-2008, 08:19 PM
I snorkle & spearfish and there is nothing wrong with it there is legal limits (same as fishing) most people think spearfisher men kill everything they see but that isnt true like fisherman there is always people that don't follow the law.
If you think about it fisherman would kill alot more fish then spearfisher men as there is heaps more people that fish.When the water is nice and clear and im over a reef i just cant help to jump in and have a look around and you learn alot aswell.I fish ,snorkle and spearfish and love them all.
cheers BK
I DONT CARE WHAT THE BAG LIMITS ARE ! ONE TEN KILO PARROT IS ENOUGH THESE FOOLS HAVE GONE DOWN THERE AND SPEARED ALOT OF THEM...........

I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND WHO EVER IS DOING IT TO STOP DOING IT

BARRAkid
04-04-2008, 08:32 PM
mate as i said some people do these sorts off things but i guess it happins with everything.
i agree one would be more then enough

HIGH and DRY
05-04-2008, 01:19 PM
i would love to have big enough balls to go spearfishing in an area like that!!!!! As the original post wasn't real specific, i would have to assume that they were not breaking the law, and if thats the case, they have every right to do what they are doing!

find it funny how you are prepared to throw hard objects at someones property and cause damage (breaking the law) yet these guys are within guidlines and enjoying themselves. If it can be shown that these guys were in fact taking more than they should be... i stand corrected.

gotta wonder sometimes how old people on this site really are. i just logged in and have read about 5 posts where people are complaining about people doing stuff that they have every right to do! I am all for sustainability etc, thats why we have bag limits and sizes! I normally make a point of not weighing into debates like this, but some people are over the top!

pete

outsiderskip
05-04-2008, 01:30 PM
nowornever
have you seen them with a 10kg parrot
or more than 1 fish
so what did u do

pete

Why-ting
05-04-2008, 07:12 PM
I gues its the ethics mate, I personally dont need to know if its legal to know its wrong.

Why is it wrong if they are within there legal rights.How many old salts that know how to target parrot regulary keep 2 or 3 big parrot 10kg plus for fishing comps and get applauded for it.. If its ok for a line fisherman then why should a spear fisherman be bagged for it.

In saying this there are always people that dont want to play by the rules, so if you see someone doing something illeagal then take it upon yourself to report them.

Just my thoughts

Nick.

Horse
05-04-2008, 08:28 PM
We probably need a slot limit on fish like these with only one over a certain size. Until then it is up to the indevidual to make their own personal decision

webby
05-04-2008, 09:42 PM
We need a Third Reich Program to do some ethnic cleaning, for those spear fishing in the bay.

webby
05-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Racist maybe, there are ways to catch a fish, and as far as i'm concerned spear fishing in the bay is not one of them.
So if that means i'm racist so be it.

BARRAkid
05-04-2008, 10:24 PM
Stop bitching if they are not breaking the law then let them be its a sport.I bet you most people that catch a big parrot will be putting it straight into the esky the same with red emporer,trout,snapper and the list goes on.

nowornever
06-04-2008, 03:23 PM
nowornever
have you seen them with a 10kg parrot
or more than 1 fish
so what did u do

peteThey were gloating at the local tackle shop, the owner of the store told me about it appariently they took quite a few fish.

Which really is rediculious!

nowornever
06-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Stop bitching if they are not breaking the law then let them be its a sport.I bet you most people that catch a big parrot will be putting it straight into the esky the same with red emporer,trout,snapper and the list goes on.So Mr BarraKid would you go and keep 8 20 or thirty plus kilo barra just cause you caught them?

I personally would not, nor would I catch and keep or spear 8 large parrot which is rediculious. If the only argument you have is to do with its legal, and that makes it right! Then you dont hold much ethics.

Cobia Kid
06-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Stop bitching if they are not breaking the law then let them be its a sport.I bet you most people that catch a big parrot will be putting it straight into the esky the same with red emporer,trout,snapper and the list goes on.
Listen buddy, I dont think that you are doing yourself any favours by speaking with this sort of attitude >:( , Why cant you just respect everyone thoughts and opinons about this thread, this is after all a 'PUBLIC FORUM'

nowornever
06-04-2008, 04:32 PM
Listen buddy, I dont think that you are doing yourself any favours by speaking with this sort of attitude >:( , Why cant you just respect everyone thoughts and opinons about this thread, this is after all a 'PUBLIC FORUM'
Yes I agree;D :P

BigE
06-04-2008, 07:48 PM
and thou shall only kill fish the way i do .......... sorry guys sounds like some body having a quick fondle. some use a rod some use a spear. splitting some hairs here i think. I use a rod and I keep more than one parrot. maybe i'm worse than those spearo's. or just good at catching parrot.

BigE

squizzytaylor
06-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Now or never, Ive got to say that the post was maybe a little ambiguous, how many were caught and by how many spearos? No offence but tackle shop staff love to have a yarn and spearos are generally very protective of thier good spots. I will say though that the spearos i know (and no I dont spear) would be the most responsible guys I know in most regards, and they are generally very selective in what they hit and are for the most part pro-sustainablility.

Geoff

JSY
06-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Nowornever, are you talking about parrotfish or tuskfish? I presume that you are talking about tuskfish (Labridae) rather than parrotfish (Scaridae). Parrotfish are rarely taken by anglers as they feed mainly on algae by scraping it off dead coral with their beak-like teeth. Tuskfish on the other hand possess conical-like canines that resemble tusks and use these to feed on a variety of organisms, mainly crustaceans. They are occasionally taken by anglers, particularly those that target them and are a prime target species for spearfishers.

Some points to consider:
·Spearfishers are entitled to their bag limit of any species just as linefishers are entitled to their bag limit (most fishers, including the users of this forum, would happily take their bag limit of snapper on any given outing).
·Spearfishing is difficult.
·There are fewer days that are available for spearfishing compared with line fishing due to factors such as adequate visability and current.
·Spearfishers are limited by depth.
·Spearfishers face greater dangers compared with line fishers e.g. predators.
·Spearfishing is a discriminate method, line fishing is not.
·Spearfishing enables the targeting of species seldom caught on line e.g. parrotfish, and increases the difficulty (compared with line fishing) of catching other species e.g. snapper.
·Any person can linefish, far fewer are able to spearfish (successfully) due to reasons such as health and fitness levels, skill and fear, therefore there are far less spearfishers than line fishers.
·Spearfishing allows those who undertake it to appreciate the underwater environment.
·Spearing 5 x 10kg tuskies in the Bay in a single day would be as rare as rocking horse droppings.
·Spearing a tusky in the Bay that has fishing line and hooks in its mouth is not uncommon as they are notorious for bricking unsuspecting linefishers.

Cheers,

JSY

nowornever
07-04-2008, 08:01 AM
Now or never, Ive got to say that the post was maybe a little ambiguous, how many were caught and by how many spearos? No offence but tackle shop staff love to have a yarn and spearos are generally very protective of thier good spots. I will say though that the spearos i know (and no I dont spear) would be the most responsible guys I know in most regards, and they are generally very selective in what they hit and are for the most part pro-sustainablility.

GeoffThey are caught on crab mate, often caught in the bay normally one or two not 8 or 9 at a time.

And again if you guys can justify taking 8 big parrot like that from out MOrton Bay spear fishing then god help us all when my kids and there kids are to go fishing. Seems to me the attitude is its legal so do it.

These fish arnt common, they are not like whiting or snapper in the bay.

nowornever
07-04-2008, 08:04 AM
Nowornever, are you talking about parrotfish or tuskfish? I presume that you are talking about tuskfish (Labridae) rather than parrotfish (Scaridae). Parrotfish are rarely taken by anglers as they feed mainly on algae by scraping it off dead coral with their beak-like teeth. Tuskfish on the other hand possess conical-like canines that resemble tusks and use these to feed on a variety of organisms, mainly crustaceans. They are occasionally taken by anglers, particularly those that target them and are a prime target species for spearfishers.

Some points to consider:
·Spearfishers are entitled to their bag limit of any species just as linefishers are entitled to their bag limit (most fishers, including the users of this forum, would happily take their bag limit of snapper on any given outing).
·Spearfishing is difficult.
·There are fewer days that are available for spearfishing compared with line fishing due to factors such as adequate visability and current.
·Spearfishers are limited by depth.
·Spearfishers face greater dangers compared with line fishers e.g. predators.
·Spearfishing is a discriminate method, line fishing is not.
·Spearfishing enables the targeting of species seldom caught on line e.g. parrotfish, and increases the difficulty (compared with line fishing) of catching other species e.g. snapper.
·Any person can linefish, far fewer are able to spearfish (successfully) due to reasons such as health and fitness levels, skill and fear, therefore there are far less spearfishers than line fishers.
·Spearfishing allows those who undertake it to appreciate the underwater environment.
·Spearing 5 x 10kg tuskies in the Bay in a single day would be as rare as rocking horse droppings.
·Spearing a tusky in the Bay that has fishing line and hooks in its mouth is not uncommon as they are notorious for bricking unsuspecting linefishers.

Cheers,

JSYSpear fishing involves geting in the water, In the Rainbow there are hudge sharks.

So to you guys doing it good luck ;D

HIGH and DRY
07-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Spear fishing involves geting in the water, In the Rainbow there are hudge sharks.

So to you guys doing it good luck ;D

wow! that was a sudden change of heart;)

FNQCairns
07-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Blue Groper are a fairly easy target on spear, didn't we have a ban on spearing them? (i get confused between states) and isn't there a bag limit which is quite low?

Good fun to catch on crab one of my favourite marks from the rocks in NSW, when spearing very often they are the only fish of spearable size I see, that didn't see me first!

cheers fnq

coucho
07-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Blue groper are illegal to spear in NSW bag limit on line is 2 but I don't hink He is talking about those

BARRAkid
07-04-2008, 11:47 AM

Mate if you think about it spearfishing would take half as much fish as fisherman.
There isn't as many spearfishos on the water, they cant go every weekend like most fisherman, as soon as the water gets a little dirty and takes a few weeks before they can go spearing again and in winter not many people go spearing.
I love to fish and fish alot (anyone who knows me can tell you that ;D ) and i fish catch and release mostly.I also spearfish when the water is nice.Its all sportand all fun if they where breaking the law i would be complaining as much as every one else but they are not breaking the law and the law is there for one reason so there is fish in the future.There is much better things to complain about like netters for one.>:( :)
cheers BK

devocean
07-04-2008, 03:59 PM
No risk for no reward