PDA

View Full Version : Help with choice of new boat

hoges1974
02-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Hi all

I am looking for a new boat and was set on the Bermuda 5.1 runabout (getting a very good deal on a new one) but after driving the boat i am now unsure as it felt very unstable in the water.

All was fine while driving it but when the boat was sitting in the water by itself it had a decent lean to the starboard side. The dealer said this was because of the size of the battery in the boat(has a battery out of another boat that was HUGE just for the test run)

Also when i was in the driving position the boat was on a fairly good lean that side. I have not had a boat for years and don't remember my last boat doing this. When we stopped at the boat ramp the guy hoped out of the boat on the side i was on and it felt like the boat was going to tip over.

My question is do i stay with the 2.07 wide beam or go a boat that has a wider beam

The boat will be mainly used for me and the kids to fish, tube, cruise ect.

the other boats i have in mind is a quintrex 470 coast runner cv that has a beam of 2.10 or thw aly craft 480 that has a beam of 2.30(i think) how much more stable would these boats be then the bermuda

I can get the 480 ally with a 70 oil inj yammie for the same price as the bermuda
and the 470 coast runner for a similar price with a oil inj 60 yammie
The bermuda has a 90hp optimax merc on it

The main reason i was thinking the bermuda is it has the bigger motor and i can carry the extra person.
any help would be appreciated

backlash08
03-04-2008, 06:48 AM
I dont know what you should buy but if you're not happy with the test boat dont buy it - that's for sure!!, would be worth having a look at a bluefin, I had one some years ago and was very impressed with it for its size, many ausfishers have them and seem to be happy

coucho
03-04-2008, 08:01 AM
hey hoges,
mate I agree with clee if your not happy with the boat then don't buy it. Maybe try and get in some of the others for a test and see how they compare.

The width of the beam doesn't really make much difference its all about the hull shape. A flatter bottom hull is more stable at rest but the ride when your travelling in chop is much worse. Conversely a deeper vee'd hull will cut through chop and give a better ride but when you anchour up and stop the wieght shifting from one side to the other will cause the hull to lay over.
So what you really need to do is decide what your boat is to be used for and go from there. As you said it will be mainly for you and the kids fishing and skiing I would suggest you won't want to be out in any major weather so I would suggest you go for the stability at rest and have a look for the hull with flatter bottom.
Coucho

tin can marlin
03-04-2008, 08:53 AM
sea scape is the boat on the move in the aussie market have a good look at one and you will be in impressed with it . All the best

Rob128
03-04-2008, 07:54 PM
Hey Hoges,

I offered a simialr response to a thread yesterday so copied this over.

We scoured the market, an dreviewed some of the above very closely you mention, and settled on a quintrex. Our goals were similar with a mix of ; recreational fishing, general cruising around and towing the little bloke (5) behind the boat.

The Bow rider seemed to give us the perfect combo as when I take my Son out he sits in front of me so i don't have to look behind when cruising and then this converts into a fishing platform when its time to fish. He's caught more than me.

Our primary driver for the Quintrex was it seemed to hold its value over a longer period, I believe the millenium hull makes a diiference in the chop (especially on the way out to Mud Island and beyond) and I like the transom for either standing on for getting on and off the ski tube or for fishing puropses - its a great idea.

My wife was a willing participant in this decision, although her only stipulation was 4 Stroke as she gets a headache from the 2 stroke exhaust. I love the smell and instant power of a 2 stoker, but she's happy and for what we use it for I am very happy with the decision as well.

Weve been ski-tubing a bit and found the 60 HP ok, although when a big bloke gets on you feel it. I changed the prop for a slihgty coarser one for crusing around and i was previously getting 6K at WOT. I may change back to the finer prop for ski-ing as this did accelerate much faster.

It took us a lot of boat yard searching to firstly narrow down what we "really" wanted to do and then what boat could do it and fit into our budget. We have a 4.6m which will suit us for the next few years.

With so much choice - its a tuff choice - Good luck.

Rob

Noelm
04-04-2008, 07:51 AM
if it was only the Battery causing the problem, then surely the Dealer could swap sides, or fit the correct Battery, but, I doubt the difference in weight between a big Battery and the proper one should cause all that much drama, if it does, then scrap that model. There is a dozen (or more) Boats that fit in your scope, so look around untill you get the one you like and are happy with.

johnny roger
04-04-2008, 08:13 AM
Hi all

I am looking for a new boat and was set on the Bermuda 5.1 runabout (getting a very good deal on a new one) but after driving the boat i am now unsure as it felt very unstable in the water.

All was fine while driving it but when the boat was sitting in the water by itself it had a decent lean to the starboard side. The dealer said this was because of the size of the battery in the boat(has a battery out of another boat that was HUGE just for the test run)

Also when i was in the driving position the boat was on a fairly good lean that side. I have not had a boat for years and don't remember my last boat doing this. When we stopped at the boat ramp the guy hoped out of the boat on the side i was on and it felt like the boat was going to tip over.

My question is do i stay with the 2.07 wide beam or go a boat that has a wider beam

The boat will be mainly used for me and the kids to fish, tube, cruise ect.

the other boats i have in mind is a quintrex 470 coast runner cv that has a beam of 2.10 or thw aly craft 480 that has a beam of 2.30(i think) how much more stable would these boats be then the bermuda

I can get the 480 ally with a 70 oil inj yammie for the same price as the bermuda
and the 470 coast runner for a similar price with a oil inj 60 yammie
The bermuda has a 90hp optimax merc on it

The main reason i was thinking the bermuda is it has the bigger motor and i can carry the extra person.
any help would be appreciated

Hey Hoges,
i'm looking at getting a new boat as well. i am on night shift, so i have had quite a bit of time on my hands to research over the past week or so.
Firstly, from what i have read the the quinnies claim they are more stable when at rest due to the pod. they allys dont have much of a write up, nor do the bermudas, so i did not research them.
you seem to be a person that wants a big motor. which is good, but do you really need all that power for just pulling the kids around? for me, power is good, but room is my thing. if you have kids, and they all want to pull the yabbies out of the pot while there are 10 other pots laying on the deck, then room is esential.
i also looked at the 470 coast runner, and a couple of bowriders. the bowriders are good, but i would not want to fish from the bow and mess up all that nice upholstery!
Now i think blue fin claim that in the bow rider range, the forward seating turns into a fishing platform. (whatever that looks like) not sure on that.
back to the power thing...i have a mate with a 3.7M stessl tinny with a 25 hp. he pulls tubes no worries.
also check out Makocraft. they have nice looking boats, and wide beams.
i would also look at boats with the thicker bottoms. say 3mm-4mm.
hope this helps.
John