PDA

View Full Version : Can braid cut through eyes?

chief 1
02-04-2008, 06:37 PM
this is a stupid thread but my friend said that braid can cut through your eyes on your rod,was wondering what your opinions on this is?

CHEERS

banshee
02-04-2008, 06:47 PM
No,braid will not cut through runners,maybe it will cut through the Jarvis Walker runners that you buy from Big W (but I still don't think so) for $2.55 a set but it will not cut through any of the Fuji or Pac Bay products.On the contrary cheap runners will dramaticaly shorten the life of braid through heat build up.

tunaticer
02-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Over time any line will wear some guides out. I have a Daiwa Sensor gold that has had a million or tow casts put through those guides and on three guides the line has left grooves in the titanium oxide inserts. This rod has only had mono running through it and I presume that braid would likely be a lot more abrasive then mono.

Of all the fishing gear I have ever owned that rod and reel setup has caught more fish mainly due to it being so nicely balanced and easy to use.

Jack.

banshee
02-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Any imperfections in a runner will see braid fail with even the smallest amount of presure it is nowhere near as forgiving as mono when it comes to rough edges.

BARRAkid
02-04-2008, 07:11 PM
braid does cut through cheep runners it wont cut into runners from just casting lures or generial use but it may cut into a cheep runner in a long hard fight but that is only if you keep your rod in the one place long enough for it to cut though when the fish is running.but it rearly happins.It wont happin to fuji guides and the like.
braid also cuts into the side off the bail roller on your reel if you dont be carful expecially one reels like shimano tss4.
cheers bk

chief 1
02-04-2008, 08:24 PM
thanks everyone

skipalong
04-04-2008, 07:01 AM
na mate but have seen heavy braid under massive load cut through 25diameter bow rail on boat

Noelm
04-04-2008, 08:19 AM
you would be positively stunned to see how easy it can cut through Mono (and fingers)

philpy
04-04-2008, 01:40 PM
Had it happen to me with my baitrunner cut the roller on my bail arm not real happy mono has worked well for this long i stick with it now

Steve B
04-04-2008, 02:36 PM
I know the cost of braid 'cuts' into your wallet!!:P

plaztix
04-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Had it happen to me with my baitrunner cut the roller on my bail arm not real happy mono has worked well for this long i stick with it now

What? sounds a bit sus.

I think you must have had a problem with that roller seizing for that to happen.

Braid wouldn't cut into a bail arm roller if the roller is spinning as it should.

gumb01
05-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Ive never seen braid cut through the eyes of a rod but i have seen braid cut areas around the bail arm on a few different reels due to the braid not being over the roller correctly(siezed or not). Ive never seen one cut all the way through, but under the instant extreme preasure of a large fish strike, i have no doubts that this would happen.

cobiaman
07-04-2008, 05:35 PM
i used to have a cheap shimano rod(cant remember the type) and after a while it cut a groove through the first guide, have since upgraded to a better rod and havent seen it happen since..

chief 1
07-04-2008, 07:03 PM
cheers everyone

SeasonsRods
07-04-2008, 11:59 PM
stick with sic's and you'll be sure it won't happen, ever!!

Mexikan
08-04-2008, 07:39 PM
I remember when braid first come out and they said you had to use a rod with ceramic runners if you wanted avoid wearing.This was suppose to be due to small particles of sand caught in the braid making it abrasive.I think braid technolgy has comea long way since then and the braid weave is probably alot tighter etc.But sand and salt will still contribute to the abbrasive factor of braid if not washed off especially after a days fishing.
I own a braid buster rod which has ceramic runners which I run braid through.Its not a bad rod apart from having to replace the eye when I accidently slammed the swivel into it and shattered the ceramic.I replaced it with a fuji runner thats holding up to the challenge.Good quality runners should stand up to the braid.
Mex