PDA

View Full Version : De-Carboniser... Where to get in BNE?

BaitThrower
02-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Hey all,

Where can a bloke get some de-carbonizer to clean the tops of my piston heads (Johnno 2-stroke carburetted) in Brisbane?

I know you can get all those fangled petrol additives that clean carbies and injectors etc but whats available for a one-off treatment that isnt added to the petrol tank, and where can it be purchased from?

Also, I noticed some Complete Fuel Treatment made by the Slick50 company that claims to clean combustion chambers and piston heads very well. This is a petrol additive but just wondering if it would be safe to put in outboard pre-mix?
I have used other car additives from Slick50 in the car before are they are the ducks nuts for engine protection... wondering if this will also work for outboards? It is expensive at $37 a bottle but I know it would be quality stuff (if suitable). The container didnt mention anything specific about marine use.

I grabbed a bottle of Fuel Doctor while I was out and will use that to maintain the fuel quality, but by my understanding, this is not particularly meant for cleaning carbon deposits away, right?

BaitThrower
02-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Also, I noticed some Complete Fuel Treatment made by the Slick50 company that claims to clean combustion chambers and piston heads very well. This is a petrol additive but just wondering if it would be safe to put in outboard pre-mix?
I have used other car additives from Slick50 in the car before are they are the ducks nuts for engine protection... wondering if this will also work for outboards? It is expensive at $37 a bottle but I know it would be quality stuff (if suitable). The container didnt mention anything specific about marine use.

Found an answer to this one myself on the Slick50 website:

8. Can Slick 50® Fuel System Formula be used in marine applications?
Yes, the Slick 50® Fuel System Formula can be used in marine applications using 4 cycle engines, (not to be used in 2 cycle engines). It is usually beneficial after each 50 hours of engine use.

So I guess that rules that one out for my 2-stroke.

boney-leg
02-04-2008, 03:36 PM
Jonson put out a product called ENGINE TUNE that you spray into the carbie and let sit for 12 hours. It's about $20 a can and you can get it from their dealers - not sure who in Brisbane.

BaitThrower
02-04-2008, 03:59 PM
Cool thanks for that. Looks like this might eb the go...

Also, I read that Yamaha's "Ring Free" product can be used as an ongoing treatment in your fuel tank. I might see if I can find some of that also.

honda900
02-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Leisure marine has engine tune on the shelf.

regards
HOnda

BaitThrower
02-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Awesome! Thanks for that. I'll pay them a visit!

;D

Kleyny
02-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Go to a place where subaru genuine parts are sold.
they use an upper engine cleaner that will take it off in a jiffy.
I've used it with success on things that normal carby cleaner wouldnt even budge.

neil

Mad-One
02-04-2008, 09:29 PM
3M make a product fully endorsed by Subaru and sells for about $9 bucks a can. Repco in Burleigh sell it. You have to be careful with some cleaners as they eat your seals and gaskets

Mad

BaitThrower
02-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Well hopefully the proper marine outboard ones like Engine Tuner and the likes are made not to eat seals and gaskets :)

BaitThrower
02-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Any idea what that 3M product is called? I'm looking on their site now but can't seem to pinopoint which one it might be.

OceanSpirit
02-04-2008, 11:36 PM
Go and see Alan Downes of Downes Marine, Bowen Hills Ph: 3252 7719 - he will offer you some 'old fashioned' advice to go with it. The best Johnson / Evinrude technician in Brisbane in my books by a mile - and probably the busiest!

BaitThrower
03-04-2008, 03:05 PM
Got a can of engine tuner from leisure marine (they have good range).

Anyway, not being a boat mechanic, where do you spray this stuff in? It says in the air intake... is that the part of the carby that the choke lever opens and closes? Or somewhere else?

Gilli
03-04-2008, 05:15 PM
yeah that engine tuner, all you do is start ya motor, and start spraying it down the throat of the carbie, just give it a good 5 second squirt and it will burn most of the shit off inside the cylinder. wouldnt bother letting it sit for 12 hrs, been told by marine mechanic it has a better effect when its just burnt off.

BaitThrower
03-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Cool ta, Well I was reading another forum thread (some USA boat forums) and there is an extensive thread on best use of the stuff, which says to leave it overnight etc on the pistons, particularly with really carboned and cruddy piston heads, which mine has, so I'm going to do that. Apparently this information was obtained in conjunction with a bombardier tech themselves, so thats good enough for me. All those that followed that thread advice seem to have had good results with no side effects so I'll try that. I suppose it could be used just sprayed and run through> i did this running it through the carb but didnt seem to clean the piston heads too well as far as I could see with a torch shining in the plug holes :)

Will leave overnight and burn it off tomorrow and see if its any better. I think the time interval may depends on how hard or soft the deposits are. If hard, needs more time to soften them up and melt them. If soft, probably blows em away quick smart :)

boney-leg
03-04-2008, 08:31 PM
The can says 12 hrs from memory but apparently for really bad deposits I've heard 24hrs.

BaitThrower
03-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Yeah I'll flush it out tomorrow after about 16 hours sitting. Since its only a small engine with 2 small cylinders, I still have half a can left for a second dose if needed.

4x4frog
03-04-2008, 09:33 PM
Hey all,

Where can a bloke get some de-carbonizer to clean the tops of my piston heads (Johnno 2-stroke carburetted) in Brisbane?

I know you can get all those fangled petrol additives that clean carbies and injectors etc but whats available for a one-off treatment that isnt added to the petrol tank, and where can it be purchased from?

I grabbed a bottle of Fuel Doctor while I was out and will use that to maintain the fuel quality, but by my understanding, this is not particularly meant for cleaning carbon deposits away, right?
I am in a rush so forgive me if this has been posted.....Subaru have such a treatment and use it as a regular service item in their cars. Contact your nearest Subie dealer and he will be able to assist.

megalodon
04-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Guess a outboard is close to a bike. We used to warm up the bikes and turn up the idle a little then spray a fine mist of water over the carby inlet. Just doing a pass across it maybe taking 1/4 of a second with a garden hose. It cracks the carbon off the piston and head straight away and blows it straight out the exhaust. Naturally you can only do this on carby run motors. 2 strokes are better than 4 strokes to do it to because with a 4 stroke such as car engine there is a very small chance a bit of hard carbon can get caught on the valve seat as the valve closes and it could pit the seat. Very rare to happen. Same as a little bit of carbon can fall down the side of a piston and score the bore. This was the common way to de carbon car engines years back. Best way though is remove head and spend an hour or a few cleaning them depending on how many pistons then having the fun of getting the grit out of the sides of the pistons.