PDA

View Full Version : Moreton Novice.

corndog23
02-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Sorry late report but I finally got out over south passage bar on sunday. Not as Flat as we hoped across bay but bar was good. Only third trip out that way and Just geting into the offshore fishing so still learning. If any one got any tips or locations to start looking I'm all ears .
We tried to get bait on bait grounds but only managed one on jig. Heaps showing but Obviously not hungry. Dropped down our one livey and kept bait jigging and livey got done by toothy critter.
Tried a couple of spots out of gps book near northern 29's but not much showing and even less biting. Decided to head south and found a little ledge with good show top and bottom of ledge. Gave it a drift and scored a nice snap. Kept drifting this ledge and ended up with 6 nice snap/squire between 1and 5.9kilo. All caught on 7 inch plastics. Not nuc chicken. Got 5 of them all on one plastic. That's cheap fishing in anyone's books. $2.48 woth of plastic. Nice trip home.

Harley000
02-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Corndog,

Well done!! You did really well, you are obviously not a novice to fishing!!

I found that by enteringall the GPS marks from the GPS books you will get an idea where the lines of reef are that run parallel to Moreton, and from there is just a matter of exploring. Each day is a different day out there!

wags on the water
02-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Corndog,

The marks out of the book will give you an idea, like Harly000 has said. The rest is up to you. The GPS book doesn't give you a gps datum so you are assuming that it's WGS84. Just sound around the areas, it can't hurt. When you do find the fish, that'll be the first of your SPOT X's.

Good luck,

Wags

backlash08
02-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Corndog - sounds like you are learning fast, as the others say, the books will give you an idea, half the fun is searching for new ground - but you didnt do too bad at all - enjoy
Craig

coucho
02-04-2008, 12:25 PM
mate by the look of that bag you don't need to many tips well done nice feed there.

corndog23
02-04-2008, 12:43 PM
Been to Mooloolaba twice to murphy's. I like plastics but would love to know if anyone has bait ground marks for up there?? Also what other reefs are a good start up that way.
I have a 5 metre boat with 4 stroke so has a good range. I would like to try Barwons but for some reason drowning scare's me a little. Would need a good day and worry about it blowing up. Any other areas a bit closer???

frankgrimes
02-04-2008, 02:21 PM
We tried to get bait on bait grounds but only managed one on jig. Heaps showing but Obviously not hungry.

Try small pieces of pillie or squid on the jig hooks.....and when you hook a livie, leave the jig down there for a while.....it's erratic behaviour will attract others ;)

Mick

Shagga
02-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Corndog,

Good report and even better fishing. Keep the pic's coming.

thelump
02-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Great catch mate. I was up there on Sunday and got the bait but no fish? Used the book as well. What boat were you in? There were quite a few boats on the 29s but no-one seemed to be getting much(including us):'(
cheers jason

corndog23
02-04-2008, 10:35 PM
I was in white 5 metre Quintrex with yammi on the back. Did not see many people catching much. Heard a few woo hoo's come from centre console barcrusher near us so figured they hooked a few. Heard a few OOOONOOOOO's come from the same boat so I think they lost a few also.LOL..

skipalong
03-04-2008, 06:54 AM
excellent quality fish mate

Az
03-04-2008, 10:46 AM
nice catch mate... pretty terrible conditions you had out there :P