PDA

View Full Version : so many quinnies...

johnny roger
02-04-2008, 07:40 AM
Mornin men...starboard ten...anyone seen the captain then?

no seriously, can anyone tell me why there are so many quinnies, stacers out there for sale?
If they are so good, then why are there so many for sale? I am looking for a new runabout. Poodroo was so kind to put me onto bluefin. well you think i can find them? they are pretty hard to find on any of the boat selling websites. but they are all full of quinnies and the popular brands.

wiz
02-04-2008, 07:53 AM
Probably it is because of the amount they sell.
A lot of first time buyers buy as you said the "popular brands"

mini696
02-04-2008, 08:44 AM
As Wiz said... There are more of them sold than any other brand, and therefore they are more prevalent in the second hand market.

Also the other brands sometimes are just called "a tinnie" so you dont notice the other brands as much.

frankgrimes
02-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Mornin men...starboard ten...anyone seen the captain then?

no seriously, can anyone tell me why there are so many quinnies, stacers out there for sale?
If they are so good, then why are there so many for sale? I am looking for a new runabout. Poodroo was so kind to put me onto bluefin. well you think i can find them? they are pretty hard to find on any of the boat selling websites. but they are all full of quinnies and the popular brands.

Check out Mr T's Tinnies (http://www.tinniesrus.com.au/) - They sell Bluefin, and I believe they are very competitive, and offer great service.

Mick

johnny roger
02-04-2008, 11:44 AM
Thanks Mick,

hey do you know how to go back to the chat forum after replying to a thread. i'm having to go back to the drop down menu and then click on the board i was in previously.
the other thing is, how do you get to be a gold/platinum member?

frankgrimes
02-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Thanks Mick,

hey do you know how to go back to the chat forum after replying to a thread. i'm having to go back to the drop down menu and then click on the board i was in previously.
the other thing is, how do you get to be a gold/platinum member?

After you respond to a thread, it will display the thread, plus your response - Up the top you will see a folder(Example for this thread): Ausfish Fishing Forums : Main Chat Area : Boating Chat : Thread you are currently in - These are all hyper-links which allow for easy navigation.

Ranking system:

Gold +500->999 posts

Platinum +1000 posts

Chat Board Help has this info:

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=54058

Mick

Bluefin475
02-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Hey Johnny i own a bluefin and could not be happier...the guys down there offer great service and have been a pleasure to deal with...if only i still used the boat for the purpose i bought it for then i would not have to sell it...but all in all i have had no problems with them and the boat is fantastic!!!!

corndog23
02-04-2008, 12:13 PM
I owned 4 boats last year all at different times. I tried 4 different cheaper brands and was not happy with ride in any of them. I won't name brands as I don't want to start a war but all these had some form of Glitch in ride or handling. Some leaned and breached and one major brand had a wiggle in the hull on the plane. 14 hours on the clock and the manufacturer would not fix it. He said yes I can feel the wiggle in the hull but that is within specs. Sold brand new cuddy and bought 5 metre second hand Quintrex with milenium hull and I am stoked. By far the best boat I have ever had and this is my eighth boat. I don't know if I had a bad run or what but now I could not be happier. Maybe they sell alot so alot for sale?? Everyone has and opinion and is biased I spose just make sure you base your purchase on ride and performance and not looks like I did. My brand new cuddy with all options looked good but rode hopeless. MY second hand scratched quintrex looks average but what a great boat.

johnny roger
02-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Thanks Corndog,
Appreciate your information. looks like the quinnies are coming out in front in my persute of the right boat.
but when it comes to pulling a couple of bisquits with kids in them, can you pull them on the transom handles? i realize that they are designed for this, but...
i am only looking at going as big as a 4.5M runabout with a 30-40 HP on the back, or whatever they come out with.

corndog23
02-04-2008, 01:36 PM
I not experienced at dragging things behind boat except lures and I not real good at that either. My brother had a 4.75 with a 75 evinrude and it did it easy but pulled the bum around alot. I think you might struggle with 2 tubes behind boat you stipulated but like I said not sure. Hopefully someone with similiar rig looks at thread and can advise.

wiz
02-04-2008, 01:42 PM
You can buy a bridle and pulley set up for about $30 to go between the two handles.

For a 4.5 I would want atleast a 40hp for pulling people around on tube ski whatever but really a 50hp or 60hp would be ideal.

johnny roger
02-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Thats xlent wiz, thanks a bunch for you help. never would have thought about a pully and bridle.
thanks again.

coucho
02-04-2008, 02:03 PM
I my old 4.5 lazeabout with a 40 used to pull a person on a surfboard but it struggled until it pulled the person out of the water. I would recomend though that you look at something bigger in the HP range though if you want to do a lot of towing or get into skiing or wakeboarding at all.

castlemaine
02-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Thanks Corndog,
Appreciate your information. looks like the quinnies are coming out in front in my persute of the right boat.
but when it comes to pulling a couple of bisquits with kids in them, can you pull them on the transom handles? i realize that they are designed for this, but...
i am only looking at going as big as a 4.5M runabout with a 30-40 HP on the back, or whatever they come out with.

Hi JR
I've got a 460 Coastrunner with a 50 Yammie. Great with 2 people in the boat but you can feel the boat working hard with me, the missus (she's not big;D ) and two teenagers. If you're going to tow go the biggest you are allowed to and also depends on your wallet.
Cheers8-)

DR
02-04-2008, 02:43 PM
if you are going to pull anyone behind the boat, make sure you tick the box on your insurance to let them know..

Poodroo
02-04-2008, 05:29 PM
As stated in the other thread I am a Blue Fin owner. I have to say I could have gone for a Quintrex and almost did but I got more value for money in the Blue Fin.

Poodroo

bluefin59
02-04-2008, 05:40 PM
I am the same as poodaroo i bought my fin 4 yr ago instead of a topender ,i consider it as good a boat and i had a few dollars in my pocket to buy a bowmount an upgrade the sounder wich i feel is money well spent , as far as not many being up for sale all the blokes who i have spoken to who have fins absolutely love them and dont want to sell and when they do come up from time to time they go quickly from what i'v seen just the opinion of a happy fin owner ......matt

BARRA73
02-04-2008, 06:04 PM
I also have joined the Bluefin brigade due to the fact that they are great value for money and I took my time checking out all makes and found them hard to beat for both weld and paint finish. They ride brilliantly and have more than enough storage and deck space. I picked my wildcat up from Logan River Marine with an e-tec, give them a call they have very competitive prices. Extra money I saved buying this over a hornet trophy allowed extras like minn kota and sounder.

johnny roger
03-04-2008, 04:40 AM
thanks for that FG. i should be able to navigate around a bit beter now.

johnny roger
03-04-2008, 04:42 AM
Thats good advice DR. never would have thought of that.
Thanks.

johnny roger
03-04-2008, 04:44 AM
thanks for that matt. ,,, looks like the fins are gaining on the qunnies...!
John

gofishin
03-04-2008, 08:18 AM
John,
Figures published in written media over the last few years were that Telwater produced around 40-50% of the total trailer boats in Australia and 70-80% of the pressed aluminium boats. I think one statement was only fairly recent too.

When one company is dominating the market by selling that many new boats, then of course you will see more of their boats in 2nd hand sales, and hear more comments (good or bad) about their boats - for purely statistical reasons, i.e. before any other reasons come in to it.
cheers

tin can marlin
03-04-2008, 08:31 AM
At the end of the day when you buy a quintrex you are paying for all of the ad's big buildings etc. I would rather be sitting in something like a blue fin knowing that i have just paided for the boat and not all of the other crap.