PDA

View Full Version : Water In Boat

Seahorse
01-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Got a scare on sat night at mud. About 7pm the bilge pump came on and pumped out water for about 10 secs.
I shit myself, cause couldnt really see anything.
Never seen 2 bloke pull in lines and anchor so fast and on my way back to woody pt as fast as i could go.
No saving the horses.
I had this thought of swimming.
Got back to ramp, boat on trailer, undone bungs and prob about 10 litre of bit less came out.
Went right over boat on sat. Could see no cracks anywhere.
So put in on sunday at 10am, came in at 6pm.
Put boat on trailer and undone bungs and gust of water came out, prob about 2-3 litres.
I gave boat real good hose out last wed arvo. Was thinking maybe all water never came out.
Have replaced the bungs.
Has anyone had this problem. I got 5m stacer runabout.
Has anyone else opened bungs on ramp where it is nice and steep and had water come out.
Any other suggestions

Cheers
Greg
Greg

Roughasguts
01-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Yeah it's comming in somewhere, and in mine too.

With mine it's the bottom bung, the so called sealed under floor part.
You could try re sealing your bung housings, then use thread tape on the bungs for a better seal.

Then re-seal other parts like bait tank hoses, and through hull screws, or bolts, sealers don't last forever.

mowerman
01-04-2008, 08:36 PM
Put a good coating of vaseline on the thread on the bungs and see how that goes.
Worked for me.

Rod

Wahoo
01-04-2008, 08:42 PM
have you tried putting some water in the boat while on the trailer, you will sure find where its coming from, i would have to agree its the bungs

Daz

Leighton
01-04-2008, 08:43 PM
had a similar problem, it was caused by over tightening the bungs.
Just a little nip up past contact of the bungs and havent had a problem since

BrewGuru
01-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Guaranteed it will be the bung housing or the chinese stainless stell screws have corroded and letting water in, if its not that, check your brakets and screws for transducers, live bait tanks etc.
You don't need much of a break in the integrity of the vessel, with water being pushed in under pressure to give you some problems.
Has scared the hell out of me in my old Seafarer V Sea 2 nautical miles of Moreton Island

wags on the water
01-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Daz is on the money for fault finding. If you can, fill the boat up with water and sit back and wait........ the water will eventually come out somewhere.

Wags

tunaticer
01-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Replace the seals on your bungs with heavy rubber O-rings rather than flat rubber washers. Being round in profile they create a much better seal and will not leak.
Do you have any pop rivets holding anything in your boat that may be below the waterline? Lots of pop rivets leak as most that can be bought are not blind rivets.

Jack.

Simmo2
01-04-2008, 09:55 PM
I always open up the bungs on the ramp. Its probably the steepest angle you are going to get.

Dan5
01-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Hopefully bung's but not allway's,my last boat allway's leaked and from new i had the boat for over 6 years and could never find the leak.I tried filling it up with water on the trailer proberbly 1/2 dozen time's but it would never leak(and i mean fill up i had jackstand's under the trailer) anyway i re-sealed the bung's,checked everything but it still leaked.

Eventually i got so annoyed with it i took all the flooring out and went for a run and within 2 minute's there it was a small crack about 75mm long on the chine so out with the welder and fixed.

Just so you know that filling the boat up does not allway's pick up the problem mine would not leek until the hull had pressure on it externally for the crack to open up and leak it really had me guessing for year's.

Good luck with it.
Dan........

Rob128
01-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Hey Greg,

I have a Quintrex and had a simialr type concern.

My boat is fairly 'bow low' in the trailer so when on the car, at the wash bay or at home any water from washing it would collect in the bow and not in the back with the bungs.

One day after giving the inside a fairly good wash, I opened the bungs to only a little water - Hmmm, its hiding somewhere. I jacked the nose wheel up and whoa got some good "old" water out.

I now keep the boat bow high and hand dry the bilge after each outing - a trap for young players.

I since lifted the floors and removed the accumulation of debris that collects overtime.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rob

Getout
02-04-2008, 07:33 AM
I bet you have a crack along the keel line.
Be careful putting water in the boat while on the trailer. It would be easy to overdo it and damage the hull or trailer.

Seahorse
02-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Thanks everyone.
I put in new bungs, with threadtape. re silc area i thought should be.
Took it out for 3 hrs this arvo and when i got back to ramp, opened the bungs and prob got half cup of water.
Iam hoping that this is the last of the water from the hosing of inside.
I will know more after next trip.
Thanks again for all the imput.

Cheers
Greg

tunaticer
02-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Does your motor throw any spray up the transom?? sometimes that little bit of spray can work its way under the combing and into the hull.

Jack.

Oh Gee
02-04-2008, 09:30 PM
I always open up the bungs on the ramp. Its probably the steepest angle you are going to get

Hmm

I hope your using a nice quiet ramp. ;)

Tassie JR
02-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Hopefully bung's but not allway's,my last boat allway's leaked and from new i had the boat for over 6 years and could never find the leak.I tried filling it up with water on the trailer proberbly 1/2 dozen time's but it would never leak(and i mean fill up i had jackstand's under the trailer) anyway i re-sealed the bung's,checked everything but it still leaked.

Eventually i got so annoyed with it i took all the flooring out and went for a run and within 2 minute's there it was a small crack about 75mm long on the chine so out with the welder and fixed.

Just so you know that filling the boat up does not allway's pick up the problem mine would not leek until the hull had pressure on it externally for the crack to open up and leak it really had me guessing for year's.

Good luck with it.
Dan........

We was oppisite to you with our old boat, we pulled the floor up first and took it to the ramp dropped in the water and the presure exsposed the small crack, when we welded it up another crack happened beside it. And it was just a ongoing problem from there.

cheers tassie JR