PDA

View Full Version : Attention Whittley Cruisemaster 700 owners

fozzy
01-04-2008, 11:15 AM
I'm interested in a second hand Whittley Cruisemaster 700, and they all seem to have 5.0 or 5.7 litre Mercruisers attached.

What sort of ballpark figure would I allow for fuel consumption with such a beast?

regards,

Dave.

Brumby
01-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Sorry don't have an answer for you on that, but suggest you try contacting the blokes from the local Whittley Club www.clubwhittleyqld.org.au (http://www.clubwhittleyqld.org.au). Some of their members do quite a bit of long distance cruising and should be able to put you on the right track. I had a bit to do with a couple of them a while ago and found them a friendly, helpful bunch.

Cheers

MarkDiver
01-04-2008, 01:06 PM
fozzy
I have a 5.7l V8 in a Bayliner. What leg does she have, Alpha one or Bravo?
I think you can ballpark around 60l/hr cruising but there are so many variables to consider. I guess now that I've said that I'll have to dodge all the bullets coming my way, ha ha. They are pretty heavy unfortunately. I've just ordered a new one from the US as the previous owner sold me a dud. That's a whole new can of worms but do your homework before buying!
Cheers
Mark

tidemaster
01-04-2008, 01:08 PM
I have just such a beast and I will be selling it very shortly. Be looking for about $45k for mine. Have seen them for as little as $35K and as much as $55K. The cheaper ones are a bit rough. Older ones watch out for rot in the transom. Newer ones have all glass transom.

Mine has the OMC 5.8ltr motor. Fuel consumption is pretty reasonable if you are reasonable on the throttle. When you gas it they drink it pretty heavily. When cruising around at about 20knots (3000 rpm), I manage about 30 litres per hour (less at lower speeds), and have never worked it out when I really get under it. But having said that, they are an awesome boat and handle outside and rough water extremely well.

I'm upgrading to a much bigger boat and this is the only reason I am selling the Whittley.

bastard
01-04-2008, 05:52 PM
If you are looking at the whitley try and stear clear of the earlier ones with the omc leg,they have poor resale value and seem to be a constant battle to keep running.