PDA

View Full Version : boat options in the 6+M range

Ammo79
31-03-2008, 08:31 PM
I know this has probably been done to death but I would really appreciate fellow members opinions.

My old man is going to purchase a boat soon and we have one lined up but I want to give him a couple of options also.

Basically looking at 6+ Meters, trailered, plate, four stroke, able to not only be a fishing boat (my main priority!) but also carry at least 5 in reasonable comfort for trips over to moreton etc. Hopefully around the 40-45 G mark. Obviously secondhand is the go here.

The boat we have looked at is a 6.1 stessel mako craft. Last years model. I wont go into details but the boat is well fitted out but I am unsure on there performance overall. Has anyone got any info good or bad on these or offer any alternatives

Cheers for any info

tin can marlin
31-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Hi ammo i was down at kratzmanns marine the other day and they had 6.1m oz craft plate half cabin with a 140 suzy 4 stroke, Hydro steering,all clears etc they said it was a ex staff demo and had only been used 3 times. And it retailed for 60 k but he said the boss would take 50k for it because they just got the yamaha dealership and they wanted it gone. It looked like a good safe roomy boat. But i can't comment on the ride because i have not been out on one. Haveing said that i have heard they go good for a alloy rig.(i'am a glass man). Worth a look. Haveing said that i think the mako craft is a nice rig as well good luck with it.
Regards mark

peterbo3
31-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Make sure you sea trial on a snotty day with full fuel & at least 4 POB. Run both beam on & with a quartering sea on the stern. Then run with a following sea. If the owner will not agree to a sea trial under the above conditions ask yourself why the boat is being sold.
I think a quality one year old 6M+ plate boat will cost you a fair bit more than $45K.

Greg P
31-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Hi ammo i was down at kratzmanns marine the other day and they had 6.1m oz craft plate half cabin with a 140 suzy 4 stroke, Hydro steering,all clears etc they said it was a ex staff demo and had only been used 3 times. And it retailed for 60 k but he said the boss would take 50k for it because they just got the yamaha dealership and they wanted it gone. It looked like a good safe roomy boat. But i can't comment on the ride because i have not been out on one. Haveing said that i have heard they go good for a alloy rig.(i'am a glass man). Worth a look. Haveing said that i think the mako craft is a nice rig as well good luck with it.
Regards mark

I am a bit confused Mark - didnt you have one of these Ozcrafts on order ::)

Roughasguts
31-03-2008, 10:20 PM
Make sure you sea trial on a snotty day with full fuel & at least 4 POB. Run both beam on & with a quartering sea on the stern. Then run with a following sea. If the owner will not agree to a sea trial under the above conditions ask yourself why the boat is being sold.
I think a quality one year old 6M+ plate boat will cost you a fair bit more than $45K.

Think I agree in the yards last week I seen 2 x 6 metre Signatures, 1 at 57K the other at 64K Both 04 models.

champion
01-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Ammo79 i will have to agree with a sea trail as well....

I have a freind of mine who is looking at upgrading his plate boat to a glass boat if your interested.

But always go for a drive .... when your spending your hard earned cash, the last thing you need is dramas !!!

disorderly
01-04-2008, 05:27 PM
I am a bit confused Mark - didnt you have one of these Ozcrafts on order ::)

I'm also confused, Mark.
I've been waiting for a report on your flash new 640 centrecabhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/undecided.gif.

Ammo79
01-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I guess I should have given more info but the boat in question is only last years model. I know the guy selling (very well) and I have been in it once before.

I do however think that when I was in it the boat was not set up right. I believe the motor needs to be dropped down on the mounts a bit as it was cavitating under acceleration. (i am no expert though) Also an inexperienced skipper!

The boat was otherwise good and it had heaps of room compared to anything I have been in. Also has a great electronics set up (ie sounder, cd sound system and digital dash/computer running the 175 mariner outboard)

We can get the boat at a very discounted price as it has been rested up against a pontoon without any cushions::) and has a few little scratches up the side. Not a problem at all in my mind if it means getting a good deal. Easily fixed too if we really wanted too.

Was mainly after any info if anyone has had any other experience with these boats as there is little info on the net.
I am well aware there are others better but this will be my old mans first boat in a very long time and I reckon it is good buying for that. Get him back into the game etc
I don't think he would loose much on it if he decided to upgrade a bit later anyway.

Cheers

tenzing
01-04-2008, 08:25 PM
I know this has probably been done to death but I would really appreciate fellow members opinions.

My old man is going to purchase a boat soon and we have one lined up but I want to give him a couple of options also.

Basically looking at 6+ Meters, trailered, plate, four stroke, able to not only be a fishing boat (my main priority!) but also carry at least 5 in reasonable comfort for trips over to moreton etc. Hopefully around the 40-45 G mark. Obviously secondhand is the go here.

The boat we have looked at is a 6.1 stessel mako craft. Last years model. I wont go into details but the boat is well fitted out but I am unsure on there performance overall. Has anyone got any info good or bad on these or offer any alternatives

Cheers for any info
Mate I bought my seafarer victory (04 model) with175 evinrude 2stroke for just over 50k Form an on line ad last year. Is it worth considering that kind of thing .
Would do what you ask but with a little more comfort and there are a few around.
Cheers

Brendan

scoota
01-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Take some good advice from previous posts and definately take it for a test run in less than favourable conditions with a few mates.

Personally, I have been behind the wheel of a 6.0 Mako Cuddy with a 150 merc some years ago in some ordinary conditions in Keppel Bay and downhill it was scarey to frightening with a nasty tendency to broach if you fall into a hole.
This was probably a 2001 model and improvements may have been made!

Scoota...