PDA

View Full Version : Lock Up Your Lures

Gordie
31-03-2008, 08:15 PM
I had a break from fishing for a few years, moved house, new town.

When I started up again I discovered they had made many advances, braid fireline those beautiful little low profile baitcasters and all those lures.

I had to have a variety of lures of course. Different lures for different fish and situations, so they just kept rolling in.

My wife said one day you seem to be spending a lot on lures. My excuse was I used to spend a lot on bait and you couldn't bring it home. Anyway I just buy lures out of the loose change in my pocket. It builds up after a while, they only cost 7 to 15 dollars and I have never broken a note for a lure.

I would buy one whenever I drove past a tackle shop, there is always something new on the market.

Made a mistake one day, I left my lure box in the back of the waggon and my wife in the car while I slipped into a shop.

By a lure box I mean a large plastic box that holds around 6 of those trays designed for lures.

She must have done a quick tally and anounced when I was back in the car that I had a $1000 of lures in that box.

I was stuffed, I still had a few trays under the bench at home.

So just a word of warning, put them away someone might count them.

Regards Gordon

warrior
31-03-2008, 09:31 PM
yes mate if we all sat down and added up the total would scare us all.if i cashed mine in i could probably upgrade my motor on the boat.

marty_z
31-03-2008, 09:48 PM
I started doing the sums one day and quickly decided to stop before I imposed a shopping ban on myself!

NAGG
31-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Yeh .... I did a count when I was off work with a injured back .... very scary! ( but at least I don't have to answer to anyone else);D

Nagg

Bubba Gump
31-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Don't worry I have the same problem with all my tackle. Trying to explain where these new rods & reels are coming from is getting harder and harder!

Leigh77
01-04-2008, 08:22 AM
Adding up the value is something that everyone should do...for insurance purposes! All my gear is individually listed when it comes to rods and reels, but the tackle box is listed with all associated gear (lures and so on). If my tackle box went missing for what reason, I doubt I would ever get close to getting back what I have today.

coucho
01-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Ask her how much she has spent on make up and feminine hygenie products then point out that at least your lures can be reused. Either that or buy her some flowers hehehe

Little grey men
01-04-2008, 09:17 AM
I got the problem solvered... I fish using a backpack with all my pretty little lures in a big flat Plano box, this box is kept in the same compartment as my garlic scent. If you open it it smells like a rotten pizza. She won't be poking around in there any time soon.

Magella
01-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Have done the same thing and was shocked by how much I have. I have now laid out all my lures reels rods etc and taken photos of them in case we do get robbed at least I will have proof of the amount of tackle for the insurance company.
Cheers Foxie

Brad Clark
01-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Yeah Foxie you have a good excuse to own a swag of lures etc. That comes with owing a tackle shop.

Cheers, Brad

Steve B
01-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Brad,

All the lures in foxies box are like new, like mine, they havent been looked at by a barra for ages!!! I think someone has put a bunch of bananas in both our boats somewhere!!!! I cant land a fish at the moment, hookups yes, in the boat NO!

I did a quick photo session on the rods, reels, tackle,sounders etc etc....I is scary how much it adds up to.!!!!! You and I know a few guys (toowoomba) with 5 times the gear we have!!!

steve

BrewGuru
01-04-2008, 09:13 PM
Everytime I go to BCF, I think I better get another lure or two, bloody amazing, last count I had 65, I only use the same 6 all the time and then there is XMAS and Birthdays everybody thinks I need more lures, I keep adding to the bag ya never know

nipsta
01-04-2008, 09:41 PM
Brad,

All the lures in foxies box are like new, like mine, they havent been looked at by a barra for ages!!! I think someone has put a bunch of bananas in both our boats somewhere!!!! I cant land a fish at the moment, hookups yes, in the boat NO!

I did a quick photo session on the rods, reels, tackle,sounders etc etc....I is scary how much it adds up to.!!!!! You and I know a few guys (toowoomba) with 5 times the gear we have!!!

steve
STEVE ARE YOU STILL GOING UP ON THE MEET AND GREET WEEKEND I KEEN TO SEE WHERE THAT JIONTED RAPALA WILL WORK ?

tunaticer
01-04-2008, 10:04 PM
I've got two large boxes of lures hiding in the shed in house moving boxes labelled tools so the missus wont find them. I guess there is probably 200 lures in those boxes and probably around twice that in my boat and racks atm. I have been almost cured of buying lures these days but still have to buy jig heads and trebles to maintain what i have got. My missus also expects 1 fish on the table for every lure i have...........I don't think her apetite for fish could be quite that big.

Jack.

Nic
02-04-2008, 07:30 AM
It's funny to hear all this... I just got the other half around $250 worth of lures for his birthday. :) Perhaps we lure addicts should have a clear-out and put the lures we don't use up for sale on Ausfish?

Steve B
02-04-2008, 01:52 PM
STEVE ARE YOU STILL GOING UP ON THE MEET AND GREET WEEKEND I KEEN TO SEE WHERE THAT JIONTED RAPALA WILL WORK ?
Nipsta,

I am SUPOSED to be working, might try to get one day of the weekend off to go out and meet/drink/fish!! they work good those lures, specially when things are a bit tough.
steve

NAGG
02-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Have done the same thing and was shocked by how much I have. I have now laid out all my lures reels rods etc and taken photos of them in case we do get robbed at least I will have proof of the amount of tackle for the insurance company.
Cheers Foxie

Yeh ... did the same thing recently ( filled the flash card;D )

So I ended up video taping it ! ....... It made a nice movie;)

nagg

freefish
02-04-2008, 04:55 PM
It's not the amount of lures but the age. At the last clearout found an old vibroiail & one with rusty trebles in a box by itself. Took a while to remember why it had such special treatment. Mid 60's a magical afternoon 8 barra in a flooded creek on a $3 unknown lure (Bellbrook imitation). Hooked for life. Bill

McCod
02-04-2008, 05:43 PM
I dont get hassled to much as my girl s Know that i know how much they spend on hair do's ,shoes etc, blitzes my tackle addiction easy...... I can't see the value in $400.00 on hair for the month of March so I'm fighting back and getting a new rod & reel this month hee he;D

Cheers Les

nipsta
02-04-2008, 06:53 PM
[quote=Steve B;793401]Nipsta,

I am SUPOSED to be working, might try to get one day of the weekend off to go out and meet/drink/fish!! they work good those lures, specially when things are a bit tough.
steve[/quote? yeah im lucky i took a feww days off so i could get up there a few days earlier and have ago to make up for the last trip so long as my back hold up i should be right and that lure will definetly get a run also i gunner gie the new pro slig rigs ago hopefully that go ok oh yeah and for sure some drinking will be done
\

Gordie
03-04-2008, 08:22 PM
Good to hear all of your comments on Lures. It looks like there are some women fisher persons out there.... I will have to stop refering to all the readers as fellas.

How do I get around that.

??? Gordon

Gordie
03-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Its great to hear all of the comments on Lures. It appears there are some women fisher persons out there. I will have to stop refering to you all as fellas.

How do I get around that. ????

Regards Gordon

SeekingBarradise
03-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Ha funny thread you have going here guys & girls.

My brother buys lures and his wife goes straight out and buys shoes. He thought he had a couple of rods camouflaged under the radar, but she went out and bought shoes as she pre-empted the purchase!!!! Funny stuff we joke about every time we see them!!! Fishn bits grin every time they see his car pull up!!!!

I'm lucky - my wife buys me lures - and good ones for Xmas & Bdays!!! The Tacklewarehouse boys smile when they see us coming as well - i'd say we keep the boys beer supplies going most months!!!

And now with all the great soft plastics on the market.... well we had to go out and buy all of them as well.. doubling stocks... What next?

Fishing/tinkering - telling yarns - how much fun is it...Gotta love it..

Cheers Lyndon & kel

reidy
04-04-2008, 09:05 AM
Good day all,
Have dig pic. all my gear just in case,seemed to be the best idea to validate any possible claims as my brother had a battle on his hands a few years back with his ins. company over around $5000.00 worth of stolen gear(taken from his shed).The ins. company stated that "no body has $5000 worth of fishing gear" and made an issue over the true value.Eric got his $5000 in the end but it took a few months to finalise the claim.
Taking dig pics at least gives you more than verbal evidence re claims
Cheers
Reidy
Who sneaks their new gear into the garage after dark? who has been caught in the act?:-/
ME

Little grey men
04-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Who sneaks their new gear into the garage after dark? who has been caught in the act?:-/
ME

Thats funny, done that a few times.....When the wife goes to Woolies I head to a nearby tackle store in the same complex. It's very hard walking into the house with a pocketful of lures that rattle.....they can attract bass and nosey kids...what's that Dad, why's your shorts rattling Huh ???......shuddup !!!

NAGG
04-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Thats funny, done that a few times.....When the wife goes to Woolies I head to a nearby tackle store in the same complex. It's very hard walking into the house with a pocketful of lures that rattle.....they can attract bass and nosey kids...what's that Dad, why's your shorts rattling Huh ???......shuddup !!!

God I'm lucky ..... These days I can walk in , throw the new toys on the coffee table & leave em there ( until the kids stay over next) ...... Otherwise they want to look/play with them.
Last time , my daughter re arranged 5 tackle boxes ( according to size & colour) ....... not top water , divers , bream/bass & SW casting ..... like they were::) :)
She was severely chastised for her effort ....... I told her that " I don't rearrange her Brats dolls & accessories! " ....... Please don't arrange the lures;)

stonecold
08-04-2008, 07:40 AM
Yes Gordon it a problem alright, you can fight the arguement with make up and feminine hygiene retaliation. However the hygiene argument is benign as its nature. I find taking your wife by the hand and leading her nto the shoe cupboard a much more effective method of shooting down "ANY" arguments about how much we spend on lures. If by chance she still complains turn to the handbag section!

Nic
08-04-2008, 08:53 AM
Its great to hear all of the comments on Lures. It appears there are some women fisher persons out there. I will have to stop refering to you all as fellas.

How do I get around that. ????

Regards Gordon

'Guys and gals' or 'Ausfishers', maybe. :) I knew a girl whose boyfriend never understood why she spent so much on fishing and on her boat (don't know if she's still with him or not!) so it's not just blokes who have to justify their fishing expenditure. ;D