PDA

View Full Version : Momentary lapse in judgement

Roo
31-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Bad weekend! had a momentary lapse in judgement that cost me $1000+.

Friday night @ 9pm I decided that despite "The Missus" saying she was too tired to go fishing early, I would go anyway, so after hastily getting everything ready for an early start, I went to bed at 11pm to get up at 4.30am(NSW). woke up late but otherwise, everything went well, crossed the bar @ Tweed just on twilight 6.30am NSW time. not much swell at all, the bar was relatively flat, tide was running out but the tidal flow was bugger all for the daytime change of tide. made way to my usual inshore reef and set about working out a drift and checking for signs of life. found some good shows and put out first lure, which after a few minutes of bumping around near the bottom was eaten by "the thing". the thing was putting up a reasonable fight, I thought I would win!!!!! wrong, the thing got cranky and took off at speed & eventually busted me off. score 1 for The thing, me 0.

next 2 hours had little action so I changed rods. picking up my lighter outfit as I figured the fish were a bit finicky now. Using a lighter jighead and smaller lure, it would take some time to get down the 30m to the fish, I made a long cast up drift and this is were it all went horribly wrong.
I made the ultimate mistake. I figured the electric motor would help steady my drift and I put the rod down to deploy it! at the second after the rod left my hand to rest against the gunwale ......"the thing" came back! I watched my Egrell S4 and Daiwa Certate get snatched from my fingers and disappear in a frothy bubble trail.
Words were said. I went home. I can't sit still too long or sleep at night for the voice in my head repeating "you idiot". I am going nuts. I have issues.:bigcry: :wut:

If anything, i learnt a valuable lesson. Dont go fishing without "The Missus". Personally i blame her. if she had come out......she could of held the rod.......or we would have gone home earlier due to less than smooth conditions.....or maybe....
arrghh ... I am a desperate and damaged man now.
Roo.

Peter4
31-03-2008, 11:10 AM
You poor bugger, Roo. That's a hard lesson!

You either need to 1) invest in a rod holder (not foolproof but can delay a rod going overboard by a few seconds) or 2) use cheaper gear when you're on your own!

I would go for option 1 because if your using Egrells and Certates you won't want to cheapen the experience!!

Were they insured? If so, they may have been stolen from your garage!

Worth a try.;) ;D

Regs

Pete

Dodgy_Back
31-03-2008, 11:23 AM
I say , blame the Mrs for not coming and get her to buy you a new outfit.

Mick

Outsider1
31-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Bugga!! No good at all Roo:P It can happen so quickly and when you least expect it.:'(

I use a snapper (3) rod holder rig with a occy strap to hold the rod in place just in case!

You can also get contents insurance that will cover this sort of mishap. We have had the same policy for years and it covers personal belongings for accidental lost or damage anywhere in Australia (up to $2,000 limit I think?).

Cheers and commiserations

Dave

backlash08
31-03-2008, 11:58 AM
not exactly what one would call a great result..ouch

Pistol_P
31-03-2008, 12:41 PM
:o :o ....Ouch roo...I feel for you mate.

A certate of all things....:'(

Pete

themissus
31-03-2008, 01:16 PM
My fault..... interesting....:-*
There were 2 rod holders in the side pocket of the boat.:-X
I'm not sleeping either, it's me whispering 'You idiot' in his ear, not the voices in his head.::)
It's usually me that has these kind of rush of blood moments, doesn't feel any better when it's not.
I hadn't even used the egrell, I know what I'm getting for my birthday next month.8-)
I can't vent my frustration at Roo, he is beating himself up enough for the both of us.
We have to let it go, they are not coming back.:'( :'(

Cheers Kim.:-*

themissus
31-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Hey Dodgy Black
I still have My certate.;D
Cheers Kim.:)

TonyM
31-03-2008, 01:26 PM
I know how you feel Orbyroo - I donated a Certate on a Nitro to neptune on the way to the fairway beacon here at Hervey Bay a while back. :furious2:

Ended up still fishing and had a cracker of a day which kept my mind occupied, although the numbness set back in on the way back to the ramp

The absolute best therapy is to get yourself another identical outfit a.s.a.p and it will only take about a year to get over the worst of it :-[

Look on the bright side - you've now got a spare reel bag, oil, box, and rod bag for the replacement outfit when you get it :-/

Cheers
Tony

3rd degree
31-03-2008, 01:51 PM
Horrible news mate,

got a good/creative insurance broker??

Cheers

Jim

Roo
31-03-2008, 02:08 PM
I checked with insurance company. Covered for in home and out but not when being used for what it was designed?????ie fishing. WTF? so basically that option is closed. I'm not the type to pull the "creative" claim even though the buggers screw me at any chance they get.

thanks for your understanding, The public airing is part of the healing process and hopefully will lead to a full recovery. in the mean time I need to get some earplugs so The Missus can't torment me any more.

Cheers Roo.

Peter4
31-03-2008, 03:40 PM
in the mean time I need to get some earplugs so The Missus can't torment me any more.

Mate you're either brave, stupid or both!;D

Regs

Pete

themissus
31-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Both Pete, Both.
Considering, I think I have been pretty calm, I haven't even yelled at him. I don't need too he is punishing himself better than I ever could.
Cheers Kim.

skipalong
31-03-2008, 05:28 PM
ouch bugger mate

kingtin
31-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Roo, Kim, you both need closure............the both of you go to your local gym and put on the gloves.............I promise that you'll both feel better.................charge an entrance fee to ausfishers and you'll have enough moollah for a new egrell and certate .................afterwards.............you can kiss and make up ::) ;) ;D

kev

frank the tank
31-03-2008, 05:46 PM
unlucky mate! my old man (56yr) hooked onto to a montser offshore noosa in about 60m he has arthritis bad in his hands and over went his $1000 outfit..... end of the day no more fish we pull anchore and here is the rod and reel rapped around the chain with a 4 kilo grinner on it haha

Fish_gutz
31-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Thats terrible news and i feel your pain! hope the healing is going well.

BR65
31-03-2008, 07:46 PM
I watched my Egrell S4 and Daiwa Certate get snatched from my fingers and disappear in a frothy bubble trail.

Mate, that is beyond tragic, no mere words can express your pain:'(

On the flip side, what will the replacement rig be::)
cheers
brian

SunnyCoastMark
31-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Orbyroo,
Commiserations on your loss.................but gee you guys - knowing how hard fishing can be on tackle and what can happen in so many scenarios - I wouldn't even think about spending $1000 on an outfit.:-/

Don't get me wrong - I am not having a go It s just beyond me - maybe I am too cheap = or too poor:( . but I would rather put the funds toward a better boat?

Maybe a subject for another topic.

Still feel for you though........:(

Mark

Roo
01-04-2008, 08:49 AM
I wouldn't even think about spending $1000 on an outfit.:-/

Me either Mark. but what it really cost me Vs what it is worth to replace are 2 different things and after using the good gear it is hard to go back...... $1000+ is replacement value but I got the rod Second hand for $220 which is about half new price and the reel came from the USA so it owes me about $440. include the new spool of line that went with it and I'm out by $690. insurance would only cover items with a receipt so after conversion of exchange rate and minus excess I'd be only able to recoup about $230. If I wait for the right time to get it all again, maybe another will turn up at the right price, I know I can get the reel again landed here for under $500. I may as well get the same again as I'd just bought a spare spool for it, The missus still has hers but she doesn't really need 3 spools for it. mind you i did see a great special for a Daiwa Morethan Branzino 3000 + Morethan Technical rod for $999. not a bad combo deal.;) but I reckon it will get strapped to my body::)

Thanks everyone for your understanding in this difficult time. I am on the mend. I think TonyM had the best idea.......replace post haste.8-)

Cheers Roo.

themissus
01-04-2008, 08:53 AM
Hi Guys,
That is a great idea Kingtin, but he's too pretty to mess up.
I keep hoping that a fellow ausfisher will catch the beast with bling still attached.
Sunnycoastmark, it is the first expensive gear we have bought. We got the reels for a O/S fishing holiday, the rod we picked up secondhand. We treat all our gear with kid gloves. It was just one of those things, all you can do is learn from it.
Roo is looking at replacements already, I think it's part of the healing process.
Cheers Kim.

Noelm
01-04-2008, 09:22 AM
my Mate had a similar thing happen to him a few years back, brand new Sabre Spin Stick, brand new 850 Spinfisher, we anchored up and started Snapper fishing, he had one rod out and thought he would have a cast with the new outfit, tied on a lure, cast it out and started to retreive, then he got a run on his Snapper rod, he just leant the new rod against the side of the Boat while he attented to the set rod, a Fish must have liked the still dangling lure, because the next thing, the Sabre is bent over the side, too much leverage, flipped up and over it went.... Jesus he nearly cried for a week!

gillogs
02-04-2008, 05:37 AM
roo....that's gotta hurt....i,ve witnessed a mate loose combo half the value as yours...he was silent for at least 5min then he let out a roar that would have done a bull elephant proud i really thought he was headed for a padded cell!!! hope the healing process goes well cheers gillogs

Steve B
02-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Roo and the missus,

Sorry for your loss. Mate that hurts just reading it. Buy another outfit fast!! the extra pain while your still hurting will ease in time with the new outfit. Get another Egrell...you know you want to!!!! Whats money anyway!!

I lost chronarch and a TCurve overboard at Monduran in a tournament last year (with my favorite jackall attached...just to rub salt in!) I have been trying to get them to empty the dam so I can get it back!!! :P

Your not alone, if thats any consolation.

cheers steve

PS. Good on you 'the missus' for being OK with Roo, I dont know many wives (particualry in my houshold) that would be so understanding in the same circumstance. Probably cause you love your fishing as much as him.

cheers steve

coucho
02-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Mate I hear ya. we where on a red hot bream session up the clarence one night Me my bad and the ex missus had 5 bream over 1.3 kG and a total of twenty fish all up.
Anyway I have had a few brews and its about ten o'clock on cold winters night. I went to cast out my gear when as i cast my thumb hits the handles and my shimano crest fire clicks into gear and sails out of my hand landing with a plop anout ten meters from the boat. quick as a flash I jump over the side complete dressed in two sets of trackys two jumpers boots and a beenie with the dolphin torch in my hand.
mate that water was cold I can tell you My b@lls went up that fast I had three adams apples. anyway I am floundering aroud trying to find me rod (no luck ) and when I turn around the boat is diissappering fast so heres me trying to swim fully clothed half tanked, three adams apples and a dolphin torch in one hand against a current that felt like it was doin a hundred knots to get back to the boat. bout ten hours (ok maybe minutes but it felt like hours) later I make it back to the boat where my ex missus and my old boy are on the floor in convoltions of laughter. So we head home 15 min trip and dam that wind was cold and guess what the car keys where in my pocket when i went over the side and they aren't now so I get to walk the five k's home from the ramp to pick up the spare keys and back down to get the boat out.
just as well we got some fish and I don't think I ever been closer to hyperthermia I swear.
Consolation prize though one of my bream went 1.9 kg and got me a fish of the week.

eotbmg
02-04-2008, 05:21 PM
Roo,
When ever i have to put my rod down at any time, i just flick the bail arm open and your safe
Ben

mangomick
03-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Ah, so its not just the poor man who pays twice;D ;D

I know how you feel though. I've got one laying on the bottom off Masthead Island :'(

cptpott
03-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Roo, Kim, my sincere condolences for your loss. The sun will shine again one day.
Amazingly, I nearly lost my certate and Diawa dorado on Sunday as I watched the thing nearly bounce out of the rod holder. Heart was in my mouth as I caught it just in time. - Nice Rosy jobfish on the end 'though!

Do like the idea of the bail arm trick - might give that a go - thanks ben.

And Roo & Kim - remember what BOAT stands for - Bring Out Another Thousand.

Commiserations

Craig

abbot_86
03-04-2008, 06:01 PM
thats pretty bad man, lucky it wasnt a borrowed rod

Shanoss
03-04-2008, 07:56 PM
Its like waiting for a taxi. Light a smoke and low and behold, here is your taxi. Same as fishing. waiting for a bite, put your rod down somewhere it can go over the side and begin unwrapping sandwich. there it goes. Murphys law.

themissus
04-04-2008, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the support guys. I think Rod finally got some sleep last night. Live and learn. It's not really the money side of it. It's more that it was only 6 month old and had very little use. We should be back out there tomorrow weather permitting, I don't think i'm going to be allowed to stay at home. I hope others can learn just how quickly it can happen. Unfortunately, from the sounds of it we are not alone.
Hope the fish are on this weekend, we need a good session.
Cheers Kim.

whykickacatalong
07-04-2008, 01:13 PM
I know how you feel Orbyroo - I donated a Certate on a Nitro to neptune on the way to the fairway beacon here at Hervey Bay a while back. :furious2:

Ended up still fishing and had a cracker of a day which kept my mind occupied, although the numbness set back in on the way back to the ramp

The absolute best therapy is to get yourself another identical outfit a.s.a.p and it will only take about a year to get over the worst of it :-[

Look on the bright side - you've now got a spare reel bag, oil, box, and rod bag for the replacement outfit when you get it :-/

Cheers
Tony

I am guessing he may have paid a fair bit more for his certate Tony than you;) Makes the pain even worse. I am still kicking myself for not investing in a couple of those reels when I had the chance:-[

Little grey men
07-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Roo

I just read about your tragic loss, it's hard to find the right words at a difficult time such as this, Just remember to take it one step at a time. With the support of friends and family the memory of that beautiful rod and reel will fade.
Have strength.

"The grey days of winter will gently blow away all that troubles you "

Yours in thought

Little grey men.

TonyM
07-04-2008, 03:10 PM
I am guessing he may have paid a fair bit more for his certate Tony than you;) Makes the pain even worse. I am still kicking myself for not investing in a couple of those reels when I had the chance:-[

Hi Al

You're probably right mate - although at the time I didn't know you'd be able to source another for me at that price :-/

Thanks again by the way! I agree, deals like that don't come along often! (would love to have one of those sexy little Certate 2500 R Fuego Extreme models!) :P

Cheers
Tony

Roo
07-04-2008, 05:07 PM
the replacement is a funny thing. With the weakening of the US$ against the Yen$ has meant the cost has gone up. But because our currency is now quite strong, ends up costing no more than when I bought it year ago. Still, $430 bills is not a easy pill but better than the local $639 pricetag!! and then that lovely Egrell..... gone but never forgotten. just have to see what turns up next, maybe a Bear. unless a suitable secondhand one turns up.

I found a new way to punish myself......i started to think about how chunky the cork grips were and wondered if they would have floated the out fit once the fish had spat the lure. maybe it did. maybe it only went a few dozen metres and then quietly bobbed to the surface......or maybe not, I'll probably never know. I sure as hell don't want to test the theory!!!!

Cheers Roo.

TonyM
07-04-2008, 05:21 PM
If it helps at all Roo I found that the replacement outfit has proved to be a fish magnet - maybe the fish gods smile upon those of us who provide such a sacrifice? :)

My fingers are crossed for you in finding the deal of a lifetime on the replacement!

Roo
08-04-2008, 03:31 PM
If it helps at all Roo I found that the replacement outfit has proved to be a fish magnet - maybe the fish gods smile upon those of us who provide such a sacrifice? :)

My fingers are crossed for you in finding the deal of a lifetime on the replacement!
::) ;D ::) hope your right Tony. ordered a replacement Certate today. went for the 3500HD. Not sure what i'll stick it on, I like the idea of an S10 Bear.;)

Cheers Roo.

BR65
08-04-2008, 07:21 PM
::) ;D ::) hope your right Tony. ordered a replacement Certate today. went for the 3500HD. Not sure what i'll stick it on, I like the idea of an S10 Bear.;)

Cheers Roo.

great to see the healing process had begun

cheers
brian

Mighty_Quin
08-04-2008, 09:52 PM
Have you checked your household comprehensive insurance policy. I lost a rod through a large fish (yellowfin tuna) ripping the rod holder out from it's mountings. The insurance company paid for replacement of rod,reel,line & lure less the excess. ;D I now have a new "Live Fibre" rod with a TLD20 reel and Line and Halco lure. How good is that!

reelemin1974
08-04-2008, 11:43 PM
Roo,
When ever i have to put my rod down at any time, i just flick the bail arm open and your safe
Ben

There is no way he would have done that as he would have risked getting snagged on the bottom and losing his plastic!! Ha Ha Ha;D ;D ;D ;D .................;D ;D ;D ..................;D ;D ;D .

Geez Rod, just think, work today, it's for nothing....work tomorrow...nothing, (keep going till you get to your cost;D ;D ;D ;D !!!) Jeez. I'm funny. I bet Matt laughed as hard as I am!!!

Roo
09-04-2008, 09:00 AM
Have you checked your household comprehensive insurance policy. I lost a rod through a large fish (yellowfin tuna) ripping the rod holder out from it's mountings. The insurance company paid for replacement of rod,reel,line & lure less the excess. ;D I now have a new "Live Fibre" rod with a TLD20 reel and Line and Halco lure. How good is that!
Yeah, i did that but RACQ doesn't cover it for while it is "In Use". i'll get another insurer for my house and contents next time its due. Who is your insurer?

There is no way he would have done that as he would have risked getting snagged on the bottom and losing his plastic!! Ha Ha Ha ................. .................. .

Geez Rod, just think, work today, it's for nothing....work tomorrow...nothing, (keep going till you get to your cost !!!) Jeez. I'm funny. I bet Matt laughed as hard as I am!!!
you are a funny bugger Sean.:dunce: . GFY;D

reelemin1974
09-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Sorry, I just really feel for you.................Nah just kidding, I'm still laughing!!!!
AND, you didn't even catch a fish!!!!!hahahahahahhahahahahahaahahahahhahahahaha hahhahahahah.
I remember losing a $200 combo once and I still remember it, that was 8 years ago!!!!lol

reelemin1974
09-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Mind you, I have just noticed what time you posted your last comment 9am That seems to coincide with starting work, you guys in the orafice are actually professional Ausfish readers, you get paid to do it!!!!