PDA

View Full Version : Reel Problem

Gold_Coast_Chaser
31-03-2008, 07:48 AM
Hey i bought a real from the shops about 1yr ago and havent used it much and pulled it out to find the drag doesnt work anymore. The reel model is Mercury 5000, i remember it as a pretty gd reel so want it fixed.....any help would be appreciated!

THANKZ!

Keechie
31-03-2008, 08:06 AM
hi you could take it back as it may be under warranty still but what you can do is go to a really good fishing shop and buy this little clicker thing i can't really resort to the right name as i haven't done it but someone did it for me and replace the screws. or if you don't wish to do it your self take it to a good fishing store. is it just the drag has stopped clicking or ???

regards,
keechie

Tetsuo
31-03-2008, 10:10 AM
What do you mean by "the drag isn't working"? Is it not smooth, is it locked up?

Take it into a tackle store, it may just need the drag washers replaced.

Whenever you store your reels, loosen the drag right off so they don't stay compressed. I do this after every session (after rinsing the reels)

Gold_Coast_Chaser
31-03-2008, 03:55 PM
What do you mean by "the drag isn't working"? Is it not smooth, is it locked up?

Whenever you store your reels, loosen the drag right off so they don't stay compressed. I do this after every session (after rinsing the reels)

Sorry Tetsuo, Yeh the Drag is just totally jammed up, yeh next time i go to buy anything from a tackle store ill take it along with me...

Thankz!

Gold_Coast_Chaser
31-03-2008, 04:37 PM
In regards to my broken reel i have just fixed it with a strike of luck.......Thankz for all the help!

coomera-champ101
31-03-2008, 05:04 PM
is this that reely good one we tried to fix a wile ago but couldnt haha

NAGG
31-03-2008, 05:08 PM

Well said on loosening the drag ...... Its easily forgotten .. though it should be part of every ones fishing practices

Nagg

Rodman
01-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Mate when you finish using your reel undo the drag this allows for the drag washers to rebound to their normal size.

Ken

reidy
02-04-2008, 12:00 PM

To true
The ultimate crime on reels
Have a feel of the tight drags next time your in your local tackleo.
My locals ok.I loosen some every time i am in his store.It makes me cring and i just have to do it.:-/
Cheers
Reidy