PDA

View Full Version : What motor for an old 4.6M Stebercraft

Allan.H
31-03-2008, 12:00 AM
I have never had a boat of my own before and its been 25 years since I've had anything to do with boats but when I was offered this 4.6M Stebercraft with Trailer and 20hp Merc for $1000, I don't know what model it is so I have added a pic. I thought that with a little work it could be good for taking the kids on day trips and fishing. As I understand it, the rules are that this boat can take 5 adults or if a child is under 12 they count as 1/2 an adult and therefore it is big enough for the family (Myself, my wife, my 15 yr old son and 4 boys under 12). I thought that the 20hp Merc was a little under powered for the boat, I have no idea what the boat weighs and was wondering if anybody could tell me what is the max size motor it can take or what size motor will do the job (without tearing it apart). Can anyone help please?

fishnski
31-03-2008, 04:27 AM
Have you had a good lokk over it for any plates attatched. Mine has a plate staing hull nuber, maximum weight restrictions and max eng size in HP. BTW I have 4.5m 6 seater ski and its rated to 120hp.

Blackened
31-03-2008, 05:42 AM
G'day

Have a goooood look through google for similar stebers of the same vintage, size... and see what they're powered with.

Ideally you'd like to find the ID plate on the boat stating max. hp and weight on transom, people to carry among other things.

At a guess, anything around 60hp would be on the money I believe

Dave

Argle
31-03-2008, 03:56 PM
I had a 16 foot Steber - exactly the same shape as that one, great little river and estuary boat. Mine had a 150hp blue band Merc haning off it! Went like a scalded cat too! You could probably contact Bruce Steber and find out what that hull is rated for.

Cheers and Beers
Scott

Allan.H
31-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Thanks guys, I alreary had a look for a plate but couldn't find one, maybe it's hidden somewhere that I haven't looked yet. I was thinking about a 75hp motor, but since then I've been told that these boats are strong but they are also heavy. I guess that I will have try to find someone that knows what type it is so I can ask Steber as scott sugested.

rocksberg6
01-04-2008, 07:23 AM
Hi Allan; I've got a 4.75 df steber and the plate should be on the transom in front of the outboard cutout. Mines rated to 75hp but i have a 60hp 2003 mariner on mine and its a good match.

Scott nthQld
01-04-2008, 11:37 AM
My dad used to own an old steber, a 5.2 m model, we had an old 90hp blue bar merc on the back and it pushed it along great, top speed was about 35knts. Was a great fishing platform and handled big seas really well, I just wish he didn't sell it all those years ago.......

Outsider1
01-04-2008, 12:05 PM
Hi Allan.H,

Steber/Stebercraft are still operating in Taree NSW. They make big cruisers and game boats these days. Contact details are on their web site;

http://www.steber.com.au/

Found this one that seems very similar to yours;

http://www.boatlocator.com.au/for-sale/trailer/11601

My father had a 4.75 Steber, good fishing boat for the times. For memory it was powered by a 55hp Chrysler, which seemed to be a popular motor for it.

I am with Dave (Blackened), I would reckon 50/60hp would be about right, but best to find out its correct rating.

Cheers

Dave

Outsider1
01-04-2008, 12:11 PM
By the way, the trailer it came with looks quite a good one, if the photo is not telling lies then you got your money's worth in it alone. Does the electric winch work?

Cheers

Dave

Blackened
01-04-2008, 04:18 PM
G'day

Out of interest, My uncle had a 500DF Steber, white over yellow. Powered by a 115 Merc tower of power, All 1973. Still going strong, and full noise will see 32kts.

The funny thing is, this hull is rated to 150.... They really do seem to be "overrated" for a similar boat given length

Dave

Allan.H
01-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Thanks again guys, I sent an email to Steber last night and just waiting to hear back from them. By the way Dave I was told that the winch works and is near new, it does look fairly new, havn't tried it yet but I'm sure if it doesn't work I will be able get it working.

I know the boat is old but it seems solid , no patches just some scrapes on the hull, at some time someone has had a go at painting it with house paint in places, I'm going to try and sand the paint off and gell coat it, if you lean on it you get itchy, I'd rather put up with the effort than the kids complaining and besides it would look better with new colour.