PDA

View Full Version : Wide Caloundra Sat

wags on the water
30-03-2008, 11:57 PM
Headed out on Rubba's new boat (my next boat) friday afternoon to catch some livies. Things weren't going to well with only 2 slimies in the well between 2 boats. Our afternoon fish was cut dramatically short with both boats caught in the middle of some very cr@p weather. A good 1.5m chop greeted us head on as we charged back to the safety of the Mooloolaba harbour. We overnited in the harbour and then headed out to Cal Wide early saturday morning.

We headed to a couple of marks and instantly hooked up as soon as the baits hit the bottom. Both Dale and I had double headers of BL**dY GRINNERS. The ground on the sounder had excelent shows of fish but after 3 passes we were sick of pulling up the biggest grinners known to man. These creature of the deep were the best part of 80 - 90cms.

We headed out to another mark and on the way found some new ground.We had found a ledge with fish congregating just up off the bottom. First drop....baits hit the bottom and you guessed it ....Grinners again....DAMN!!!! Tried the drift again and boated a nice tuskie. So we continued with this drift pattern and boated pearlies and squire and a rosy jobfish.

Sounded the area a bit wider and found even better shows and instantly hooked up on pearlies again.
On the last drop of the day I hooked up onto a freight train with all the signs of it being a very big head-shaking fish. A tug-o-war was happening with the fish winning early. I was using a 7' Live fibre rod matched with a Diawa Saltist loaded with 50lb braid and this fish was just pulling line off it like it was in free spool. I finally had a win with me getting line back on the spool. Just as we started to see colour, I felt the weight lighten on the rod. The fish boated was definitely not what I had been fighting. A 40cm lifeless pearly was landed. This fish had definitely been swallowed by something huge. It had been scaled both sides from the tail right up to the gills with bite marks evident around its body.

There were a few suprise catches on the day with Dale scoring a grinner and a spanner crab(i think) on a 400g knife jig.

A great day on the water, good company on a very nice boat with fish in the esky.

Thanks Dale.

Wags

24020 24021

24022 24023

MEGA'bite
31-03-2008, 07:21 AM
well done lads wheres the pics of the big ens hows the back Mike .

Keechie
31-03-2008, 07:37 AM
well done they are some nice fish keep up the good work.

regards,
keechie

Tim_N
31-03-2008, 09:33 AM
Big Amberjack just love Pearlies as a live bait. I reckon that was your culprit.
Tim

wags on the water
31-03-2008, 09:35 AM
We might have to get a bigger live-bait tank then Tim.

wags on the water
31-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Found another photo

wags on the water
31-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Flattyfinder,I'm on the magic pills as we speak.

skipalong
31-03-2008, 05:19 PM
excellent fish guys

wadeo
31-03-2008, 05:23 PM
sounds like a very good day wags. those big AJ's definetley love whole pearlies. good weather for a change too.
regards wadeo

jez and suze
31-03-2008, 05:28 PM
nice fish wags, definatly want a 625 outsider aswell.....i hear you can full asleep in the back of them while travelling at 24kts in 2m chop....sounds like a comfy ride!

roz
31-03-2008, 09:47 PM
nothing wrong with pearlies Mike! It's annoying being a grinner magnet, but that's fishing & you've got to take the good with the bad.

As for the one that got away, sounds like an AJ or even a cobe (do cobia get caught that wide? I don't know.) Just the lack of teeth marks on the pearl perch.

Well, at least you managed a trip out which is great to hear.

cheers roz.

rubba
03-04-2008, 06:12 PM
hey fatty finder you should have come out!was very good day fishing was very impressed with the 625 wags it was ashame we didnt nail the one of the day.and to set records straight because wags was out we were doing 12 nots.very good shows and good fish caught enough to go very close to bag out.8-)

Scalem
03-04-2008, 08:29 PM
I know someone who sent a legal snapper back into the drink with a hook in his back after a fish came up similar to yours - A Marlin snatched the snap within minutes. True story!! You just never know what's lurking around hey??:o

Scalem

wags on the water
03-04-2008, 09:37 PM
I'll certainly be throwing a 'just legal' pearly back with a hook in it's back in the future.

Wags

jtpython
03-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Good to see you got some colour thou mate
Good stuff
Do you think a cod could have played a part as well?
JT
Not certain of your country where you are if there are any there
We have caught some good cod at times on no show of bottom between reds in rubble ground

wags on the water
04-04-2008, 08:51 AM
JT,
My first thoughts were cod, but this thing was peeling line like there was no tomorrow. Saltist 50 with 50lb braid. I had it ....er,...it had me for a while.
I'll show you a pic when I catch it next time. :)

gunna
04-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Good to see you on the water again Mike.