PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter installation again

dnej
28-03-2008, 08:08 AM
When mounting a spin on type filter,on the external part of the stern,what fittings are available,to instal the fuel line,with a trough the bulk head.( In this case ,the stern)
They are available for water,but I cant find one for a fuel line, so I can have a push on line on each side of the stern.
Any one done this? If not ,what did you use?

I could use the one suitable for water ,and pass the fuel line through the centre,and then put a convoluted hose,around the fuel line.
Thanks in advance
David

Roughasguts
28-03-2008, 09:04 AM
What fitting are you talking about Dave.

I got a Racor and Have the blue braided fuel line coming from the fuel tank and pushed on to a brass barbed inlet on the filter, that held on with a S/S hose clamp. Likewise the fuel line with primer has the same fitting.

The fuel line goes out through in to the engine well with all the other cables to run the motor, via a rubber slosh seal just a big rubber gromet to hold out the water from getting through from the engine splash well.

Cheers.

dnej
28-03-2008, 09:14 AM
Rough as,
What I want to do ,is run the braided line from the bulb,through the stern,via a bulk head fitting.Have a look at my avantar,you will see the hose that takes all the cables,etc.
I currently have the fuel line in that little lot as well.

When the fuel filter is installed,the line will come through ,closer to the centre of the stern.
I dont want a slop stopper style of fitting,where the line is loose,through the hole,but rather a fitting,threaded,that will screw onto the stern,with a barbed fitting on the outside,and the inside.
Clear as mud I suppose.
David

FNQCairns
28-03-2008, 09:23 AM
What about a gland? Bias has them in their catalogue but I do know what you mean it's just a little harder to make.
Places like Hydraulic shops will be able to supply you the individual parts to make a solid fitting with barbs either side of a bulkhead.

cheersfnq

Roughasguts
28-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Ah got y"a like the plastic skin fitting for your bilge pump, except with another barb on the other side.
Buggered if I know what's around but maybe you could use that type of skin fitting, you just need some brass fitting to join the two barbs and seal it in the skin fitting. How about a snap on fitting for the outside one though! no dodgy scratchy hose clamp then.

John Buoy
28-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Gday Dave a female to straight female or female to 90deg female should be available at places like Whitworth they are chrome/brass fittings that will do the job.

Frank

Poseidon
28-03-2008, 03:23 PM
I think I can picture what you are trying to do, run the hose through the bulkhead with a weatherproof, protective seal around the hose.

You could try a cable compression gland. You mount the gland into the bulkhead with a holesaw, cable (in your case hose) passes through gland and the locknut compresses around the cable/ hose and seals.

The link shows a section of the gland, you can buy them in different sizes from Electrical Wholesalers. It may be OK for what you are trying to do.

http://www.wattmaster.com.au/cableglandsdetails.asp?PGID=10

Regards Cameron.

dnej
28-03-2008, 05:46 PM
http://www.whitworths.com.au/products/79254_lg.jpgThis is the PVC one,for water.
If I can't find one for fuel,at a hose place,I will run the fuel line inside this,and the convoluted hose,and push the convoluted onto the barbs,like a small version of what normally takes the steering etc.The one in the picture is for 19mm hose.I have them on my bilge pump outlets.
Thanks for all the input.
Regards David

Hamish73
28-03-2008, 06:02 PM
how thick is the panel?
Brass fittings used in welder would probably be your best bet.
ID is probably about 5mm.
If its good enough for acetelyne, its probably good enough for low pressure fuel.