PDA

View Full Version : Fixing reels

bam424
28-03-2008, 07:59 AM
Does anyone know of someone who fix egg beaters. I have two reels that will not catch on the reverse reel. Are they worth fixing and or can they be fixed :-/

baitwaster
28-03-2008, 08:04 AM
They are dead easy to pull apart and fix mate - not too many working parts. Usually the clicker that locks in the anti-backwind will need a clean and lube, and the screw that holds it in may be too tight.

Find a nice clean working area, and lay the parts in a line as they come off the reel, then put them back on in the same order.

A bit of reel grease and a clean, and they will feel like brand new again.

Noelm
28-03-2008, 08:29 AM
pretty simple thing really, best off is to get a nice clean well lit work area (Kitchen table) a few small hand tools, some solvent or Kero and a small container for washing bits and pieces (the best Tupperware is NOT recomended) and a small amount of grease, then start to disassemble the reel a bit at a time, you can even take a couple of digital photos if you are not real good at this sort of thing, and as mentioned, lay everything in order it came off, only bit to be careful with is the Bail Arm spring assy, usually you do not need to pull it to bits anyway unless it is broken. Just clean and have a look to see how the anti reverse works, it will more than likely be stuck open/free, especially if is a Shimano Aero and similar models, I have three and they all get stuck from time to time

Rodman
28-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Mate
I run a small business of Rod & Reel repairs
I live on the Northside Give me a call on 0427832618.

Ken

bam424
28-03-2008, 10:13 AM
Thanks guys I'll give it a go if I fail rodman I will give you a buzz

reidy
28-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Good day,
As you strip her take a series of pics with a digital camera in sequence.Reasemble off the images.
You cant go wrong
Cheers
Reidy

reidy
28-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Sorry missed noelms post re dig. camera
couldnt edit for some reason
Cheers
Reidy

reidy
28-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Sorry missed noelms post re dig. camera
couldnt edit for some reason
works a treat though
Cheers
Reidy

reidy
28-03-2008, 12:33 PM
sorry again for repeat
somethings up with the system
Reidy

ctwaddle
29-03-2008, 05:07 PM
It should be easy to download documents on the Internet on how to service and your local fisho shop should be able to point you in the right direction. I find shellite is the choice for getting rid of the old oil and grease as it disolves in net to no time leaving no moisture behind.