PDA

View Full Version : Trailer - Aluminium Vs Gal steel

backlash08
26-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Hi Guys,
I've currently got a 7M plate boat getting built and am interested in people's experience with Aluminium trailers. I have ordered an 'I' beam steel trailer with skids through the boat builder but I've got some time until I need to lock in. The trailer will need sensa brakes either way but I'm wondering if I should look at an aluminium option for a trailer, I see obvious advantages in weight and corrosion resistance but interested in peoples experience with strengh, costs etc etc. Would appreciate your views and suggestions on who makes a quality product/

Cheers - Craig

Brumby
26-03-2008, 12:37 PM
I don't have direct experience of ally trailers, but have had quite a good look around and it seems that you have to be pretty careful who you get one from - there are quite a few stories about cracks and excessive flexing. A galv I beam on the other hand is robust and pretty corrosion resistant anyway.

If it were my choice and the weight of the trailer wasn't make or break, I wouldn't take the chance on ally. Beside which, they are normally more expensive.

madmackrel
26-03-2008, 02:23 PM
8-) Craig built my ally trailer about eight years ago, mate will never go back to steel. If its buiult right you will have no problems.
Cheers MM;D

megafish71
26-03-2008, 03:32 PM
G'day Craig, I have just finished building my own ally trailer for a 7.2mtr platey that is currently being built. I personally would give most steel trailer manufactures a wide birth, mainly because of the poor quality of the gal that is being offered. If your a bit handy building one is quite easy to do. The cost of building my trailer was less than some of the cheaper steel trailers I looked at, and considerably cheaper than some of the big named brands of trailers.
Have a look at this tread http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=123414 and yell out if you want any advise.

Cheers Ron

Shagga
26-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Megafish,

That trailer is awesome mate.

backlash08
27-03-2008, 06:25 AM
Thanks Megafish, I'll have a good look and get back to you
cheers
Craig

Dean1
28-03-2008, 09:35 PM
Hi Craig, i have an ally one under my kc which is 10 years old and is in perfect condition except for where the axle assembly has lost its gal coating and caused some corrosion where it sits on the ally. Not Bad by any means, i think cat trailers are alot more ridgid compared to monos so i probably cant comment on strength, but gee ally lasts a bloody long time by looking at mine. Good luck with it all, Dean.

squizzytaylor
29-03-2008, 03:25 PM
About 90% of new trailers sold in the US are aluminium now and are awesome in strength and weight, the big difference imho is that in most cases the Yanks dont have to contend with much off road work though, so I would asses the type of work the trailer has to contend with and make the decision from there, also compare warranties etc.

Geoff