PDA

View Full Version : tell tale problems

baitmate
24-03-2008, 06:18 PM
hey i have an evinrude 15 and it has being causing me lots of problems, i tried to go out on the bay today and had to to be towed in, becuase the motor conked out, the tell tail wasnt working to well could that be a problem?

FNQCairns
24-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Baitmate too hard to guess with just the info you gave, the telltail is simply an indicator, you can block it off anytime and this will not impact the engine in any way but the water circulation/pump etc will impact how the telltail behaves.

cheers fnq

tunaticer
24-03-2008, 07:38 PM
It could be a problem if the telltale is not blocked. If it is clear it is almost certain that your waterpump is not working efficiently or you have a blockage elsewhere in the motor. Either way you have probably overheated your motor to a point where it will no longer run. Could possibly be a simple fix by clearing a blockage or replacing a water pump or a major fix in the case of a rebuild. You will have to ascertain why the telltale was not working first.

Jack.

Roughasguts
24-03-2008, 08:25 PM
A Spitting tell tale could be just a blockage as already stated or you could have seized the motor But I dought it. Can you still pull the starter cord?? if not Ouch.

Anyway what are the problems your having with the motor ?
Did you have fresh fuel and Oil?
Have you replaced the spark plugs or at least cleaned them.

Have you been making any adjustments to the motor? If so what type of adjustments?

groverwa
24-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Baitmate

Could be the water pump or stuck thermostat - especially the thermostat if the motor has not been flushed correctly - been there done that as I let relations borrow a 6hp evenrude many years ago and when I took it apart I found great mobs of salt build up that caused overheating

Mike

BaitThrower
24-03-2008, 10:30 PM
got a compressor? Blast up a bit of air up there. That cleared my telltail up really quickly. It was spitting and sputtering. Blew it out with air and it was then flowing like mad :)