PDA

View Full Version : Triming Motor

stickbender
23-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Need info
My last boat had a old 90hp yam on it and I was able to lift the motor right up when in gear but my new boat has a 60 4st mariner on the back and I am only able to lift and lower motor a little. the reason I am asking this as my new boat needs to lift the stern and bring down the bow down. With the trim. With new technology have they put in some safety device to stop you lifting up the motor. and the stops are in the bottom holes

The boat is a stacer 489 baymaster

thanks paul

Roughasguts
23-03-2008, 08:55 AM
Hmmmm interesting theres Trim and theres Tilt.
Somehow I think your motor is wired only to run with Trim. The wiring for the tilt faster setting, well I don't know can't be working.

Chimo
23-03-2008, 09:02 AM
Hi Paul

I'm confused by what your saying.

If you want to trim/push the boats nose/bow down then you would trim the motor in ie move it closer to the transom. This seems to be at odds with what you are asking?

Can you be a bit more specific in what the problem is.

Thanks

Chimo

stickbender
23-03-2008, 09:21 AM
roughasguts and chimo
please reread post

Chimo
23-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Hi Paul

Based on

"60 4st mariner on the back and I am only able to lift and lower motor a little. the reason I am asking this as my new boat needs to lift the stern and bring down the bow down. With the trim."

Take it back where you bought it and ask them to sort it out may be the way to go.

Chimo

FNQCairns
23-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Have they dumbed down these motors that far? Have you measured the physical range of motion this engine actually has in gear? Do you have shallow drive at low rpms? Once they start including user friendly (rolls eyes) microchipped forced features things go downhill fast compared to the mechanical alternatives.

You didn't include any boat details to compare to the outboard in question, oops now you have.

Does the 60 run a smaller prop than the 90 is the 60 on a comparably sized boat, it's not uncommon these days longboats even, point is you may be getting enough motion but the prop cannot force the boat to react like what you are used to like typical 90hp prop diameters can.

cheers fnq

Roughasguts
23-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Think FNQ, might be right. Maybe a 60HP 4 banger just isn't up to the performance your use to.
Compared with the old 90 HP 2 banger, with no dought a larger prop, the 60 would likely be a slug. Unless it's on a 12 foot tinnie a 60 HP 4/S Just ain't going to have the thrust.

stickbender
23-03-2008, 11:22 AM
I have no problem with the motor it is just that the boat is sitting high up in the bow running on 5000 rpm. I have had a mate take it for a run and he thinks the same as me

Roughasguts
23-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Hows the cav plate on the new motor' does it run deeper in the water compared to the old one ?

stickbender
23-03-2008, 11:40 AM
rg it is not the same boat that had the 90 on it

Outsider1
23-03-2008, 11:45 AM
I have no problem with the motor it is just that the boat is sitting high up in the bow running on 5000 rpm. I have had a mate take it for a run and he thinks the same as me

Can we assume that you have the motor trimmed in (down button) as far as it will go, and the bow still feels to be riding high? Assume it will also tilt right up when you have it on the trailer for transport.

If possible can you post some pictures of your motor set up? Sounds a bit like it is mounted too low on the transom.!?

Cheers

Dave

Roughasguts
23-03-2008, 11:46 AM
So your trimming the motor forward aren't you, lifting the bum out of the water and lowering the bow.

Cause if your raising the motor that will raise the bow.

stickbender
23-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Thats right Dave rides high when fully down

FNQCairns
23-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Ahh now it's making sense, typical yamaha complaint not having enough -ve trim, solution fit wedges.

cheers fnq

Roughasguts
23-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Hmmm you may need some wedges then to tuck the motor in further.

stickbender
23-03-2008, 11:53 AM
fnq wedges? if so would it be up to the dealer the boat is only 3 weeks old

FNQCairns
23-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Yep complain that it is not acceptable you cannot force enough -ve trim to have full control over this particular hull.

phrase it along the lines of a seaworthy issue, which I suppose under certain circumstances it can be ie like trying to keep the boat pointing upwind into a strong blow with uncomfortable waves, without enough -ve trim you will get blown sideways and be prone to swamping.

cheers fnq

Outsider1
23-03-2008, 12:05 PM
fnq wedges? if so would it be up to the dealer the boat is only 3 weeks old

Seesm strange to me that a new boat like the Baymaster in runabout configuration with a transom pod would have this problem;

http://www.stacer.com.au/view_boat.aspx?stockc=SR489BM#specs

Wedges may or may not be the solution Stickbender, but would definitely be taking it back to the dealer.

How's your weight distribution. No big heavy eskys or the like in the back of the boat?? With the forward runabout format you wouldn't think it would be a problem like this though?

There isn't a trim lock or something similar on these motors is there? Usually they lock a motor up to take pressure of the tilt tubes when the boat is not being used, so that does not make sense either?

Cheers

Dave

stickbender
23-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Looks like I am Back to the dealer to get him to check thanks all for the help

btw Dave boat has only got 4hrs on it have not put a load in it as yet just myself and a mate were in it

Outsider1
23-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Looks like I am Back to the dealer to get him to check thanks all for the help

btw Dave boat has only got 4hrs on it have not put a load in it as yet just myself and a mate were in it

Good luck SB,

has to be the motor set up.

With a runabout format taking you and your passenger's weight forward that would pull help pull the bow down somewhat too, and with the pod giving the motor a little extra leverage on the hull, you should really have no problem trimming it in if the motor is mounted correctly.

Cheers

Dave

Horse
23-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Take it back to the dealer. For some reason Yammies do not have enough -ve trim for many transoms. I chose a foil to do the same thing and am happy with the results (faster, better trim contol and flatter out of the hole performance) but this was on an older style hull. With a newer boat I would suggest that the wedges will do the trick

Cheers

Neil

Outsider1
23-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Take it back to the dealer. For some reason Yammies do not have enough -ve trim for many transoms. I chose a foil to do the same thing and am happy with the results (faster, better trim contol and flatter out of the hole performance) but this was on an older style hull. With a newer boat I would suggest that the wedges will do the trick

Cheers

Neil

His old motor was a Yammy, this one is a Mariner 60 4 stroke. Anyone had or seen the same problem with Mariners? Really strange with that pod transom on the Stacer I would have thought?.

Dave

HIM&HER.ADVENTURES
24-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Afternoon Mate,
Stacer's are a top boat, but even good boats need fine tuning, transom angle is minimal on most production boats, trim tuck under ( trimming the engine all the way down) is some times not enough to get the bow down, Ask the dealer if wedges for the transom have an effect with the heavier four strokes on these hulls, Ive personally had good results with slightly under powered or four stroke powered boats needing that little bit more down ward pressure.
Cheers Jono