PDA

View Full Version : Battery

PinHead
23-03-2008, 07:35 AM
I left the isolation switch on...battery No 1 is now flat..with everything turned off why would the battery go flat??

Simmo2
23-03-2008, 08:01 AM
Something must be drawing current PH?
(or the battery is stuffed?)
Do the current test with the same conditions.

Benny01
23-03-2008, 08:21 AM
take one of the terminals off and put an ammeter in series and see how much current draw you have. if negligible then your battery is cactus. if still unsure take it to a joint that will test the battery

Roughasguts
23-03-2008, 08:24 AM
Your isolation switch is probably stuffed. For some reason they don't last and fall to bits leak current etc.

Chimo
23-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Greg

What does bat no 1 usually power?

If its the motor even with the isolation switch left on the battery should be ok with power still in the battery unless something shorted either on the motor or the isolation switch.

If No 1 powers house and the switch was left on, so was something else or the switch failed.

Given the age of your set up the battery should not have failed yet or if it has you should be in line for a new one; IMHO

Good luck with it.

Cheers
Chimo

PS That invite still stands.

PinHead
23-03-2008, 09:16 AM
Your isolation switch is probably stuffed. For some reason they don't last and fall to bits leak current etc.

it is only a 4 month old boat..all new.

PinHead
23-03-2008, 09:18 AM
Greg

What does bat no 1 usually power?

If its the motor even with the isolation switch left on the battery should be ok with power still in the battery unless something shorted either on the motor or the isolation switch.

If No 1 powers house and the switch was left on, so was something else or the switch failed.

Given the age of your set up the battery should not have failed yet or if it has you should be in line for a new one; IMHO

Good luck with it.

Cheers
Chimo

PS That invite still stands.

the battery powers everything..normal old 1 , 2 both set up. Nothing was left on as I turned to No. 2 and checked everything was turned off, which it was. Seems like something is wrong somewhere.

Will glaldy accept the invite as soon as I can find some time..a rarity at the moment.

mik01
23-03-2008, 09:34 AM
Pinhead - when you say nothing was 'on', are you meaning that for example a radio wasn't turned on but the standby lights could have been on?
if I leave my isolation switch on, the radio (stereo) still draws current. perhaps this is the case with yours?

Simmo2
23-03-2008, 09:59 AM
The only way really PH is to do the ammeter test, if it is drawing current, which I suspect it is, then start removing fuses/breakers to determine the culprit circuit. It maybe as Mik says, its the stereo or clock or something that you cant do anything about. (other than remember to flick the isolator!)

seastorm
23-03-2008, 10:09 AM
A quick and cheap way to test for current draw is take the positive lead off the No 1 battery and then touch it back on the terminal if it sparks then you have current draw, then do as Simmo2 said and start to disconnect on fuse at a time until the spark goes away.

Roughasguts
23-03-2008, 11:15 AM
it is only a 4 month old boat..all new.

Yup still could be your switch you got a multi meter ?

I would turn the isolator off and remove the leads and test with OHM setting and see how much of a leak there is. If none that's good at least the switch is ruled out.

The reason why to test the switch first is it's the first and most likely thing that can go wrong after the battery.