PDA

View Full Version : Servicing boat motors

aussiefool
22-03-2008, 09:03 AM
G'day all,
Don't know if this has been done before or not, so here goes.

Who services you boat's motor?

Do you take it to dealer E.G.. Take it to a Johno/Murc/ Yammie ect dealer

Take it to the Yard that you bought from

Take it to another dealer closer/or trust

Or do you do it your self.

Looking forward to your feed back and stories

thanks fella's

Aussiefool
Andrew

CreelReaper
22-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Mate,
I'm lucky, have a son that is a 3rd year marine apprentice.....but I used to do my own servicing before then. I had a 25hp merc years ago that after 3 months of back and forth (every 2nd week) to the mechanic (and I tried 3 different mechanics) I ended up fixing it myself. How a mechanic could miss a split carbie diaphram is beyond me. From then on I only used them if I had to.

Shane

Dodgy_Back
22-03-2008, 12:17 PM
I take mine to the local Merc dealer, Seeing that my ,otor is under warranty, I figure to do the right thing.
I had an issue with the starter motor, rang the mechanic (coorparoo marine)
Took it there in the morning, got a call that arvo all fixed with new parts all for free under the warranty even though the mob I bought it off didn't register me .

They sorted all the warranty registration issues for me.
Good mob and would reccomend them .

Cheers

Mick

Roughasguts
22-03-2008, 02:16 PM
I do mine hell it's only a boat motor, not far removed from a lawnmower.
Actually an outboard is a pleasure to work on' beats trying to get to the timing belt or water pump or the spark plugs on the later V6 Toyota's and such like.

An outboard you can stand up and see all the bits your looking at, don't have to bust your guts and skin your knuckles at all.

Still I don't do it for a living, I do it cause I'm tight and prefer to have hands on knowledge of me donk' if something was to go wrong at sea.

FNQCairns
22-03-2008, 02:34 PM
Yeah I am tight also, but still I need a payback for my time if I am to bother, The thought of a weeks lead in then the disruption of towing/making time/having people who cannot respect it as if it were their own property unsupervised by owner, touching it:) leaves me cold as I have never apart from once had outside mechanical work done that was a success at the level of if I had done it myself ie just one of many, aircon metal lines in the way for fast spanner work - solution bend them out of the way to save 5 min of which I would get billed for regardless::).

cheers fnq

Outsider1
22-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Bought my boat and motor from one local dealer, but have always had it serviced by another local dealer for the last 11 years (Wynnum Marine). The purchase was 2nd hand (4 years old) so no warranty issues.

The dealer I bought it off found it all a bit hard when I asked them to do the first service. The boat is moored so needed to be picked up, needed to be re-antifouled etc etc. Dealer one gave me the run around, so I got Wynnum Marine to do the service and was the best thing I ever did. Have used them exclusively since. Totally trustworthy, great service, reasonably priced, any issues (rare) never a problem and fixed straight away.

Cheers

Dave