PDA

View Full Version : Lake Maroon question

Bloody Grinner
21-03-2008, 11:43 PM
I haven't been to Lake Maroon yet but I want to find out if I can 'launch' my inflatable dinghy from Burnett Creek Road, at the end of the lake, where the standing timber is. I have got no outboard motor, that's why. :-[ See picture below to see what part of the lake I'm talking about.
http://sweetwaterfishing.com.au/images/maroon.jpg

Image taken from Maroon Dam Info Page (http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/maroon.htm)

Does anyone know if the road is close to the lake's edge?

have a good Easter.

Chaz
22-03-2008, 07:12 AM
If you follow Burnett Ck road past the signs to Camp Lakefire (will be on your right), you will be opposite the last of the water shown in the map. A track leads off towards the water. Follow it to where it crosses the creek (about 100 metres) and park out of the way. You can then walk back along the creek parallel to the road and launch as soon as you reckon you can handle the gentle current in the creek. The creek bed through the standing timber is up to 5 or 6 metres deep. A guy fishing worms bagged out on Yellowbelly right in that last elbow two weeks ago in about half an hour. I got some nice bass to 35cm right on dusk on poppers and SPs fished weedless just under the surface. It's a loverly spot and as long as you get something, it will be a good trip.

Leave the place cleaner than you found it, if you can. The owner of the land just there (and the borders/property line is not well defined) does not mind people accessing the dam there as long as the 10% don't get in there and spoil it for all. The people who own Lakefire are agitating to restrict access to the dam too, so don't give them any ammunition.

Cheers

Chaz

Bloody Grinner
22-03-2008, 09:44 AM
thanks a lot, Chaz. that should be all the info I need. great help.

it goes naturally to leave place without rubbish as it agitates me madly sometimes to see plastic bait bags and beer cans washed up or 'neatly' tucked amongst the rocks. How HARD is it to just take a plastic bag, fill it up with your rubbish and put it in the first bin you come across?

Bloody Grinner
22-03-2008, 09:47 AM
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] A track leads off towards the water. Follow it to where it crosses the creek (about 100 metres) and park out of the way.

just one more question: is this a track only accesible with 4WD?

cheers,
BG

alphas
24-03-2008, 03:15 PM
just one more question: is this a track only accesible with 4WD?

cheers,
BG
no 4wd required,but wouldnt want to be driving thru in anything that is low!maroon is an excellent dam,fished there 2 weeks ago-8 good bass on poppers.lots of skiers there since the rain tho.