PDA

View Full Version : No hydralic steering

skipalong
21-03-2008, 07:05 PM
hi guys just after anyone that would have some information on hydralic steering, it seems that i can turn my steering wheel at least 2 revolutions either way before it reacts, would it be an air pocket, can i add oil or do i seek a machanic, checked for leaks but everything appears dry:'( .

Spaniard_King
21-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Most likely a leak somewhere..look for a dirt build up rather than oil.. yes get soem 5-15 weight hydraulic oil and refill the helm.. but only till ytou can just see the oil level anymore and it will overfloww when the pil heats up under load/weather

skipalong
21-03-2008, 07:26 PM
thanks will give it try tomorrow morn wanting to get back ojn the water on tuesday, its only a recently new system, all i can think is that they have left something loose.

cormorant
21-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Top up with the right fluid in it and turn lock to lock to find your leak. The oil is clear and waterlike so isn't the easiest to spot a leak. Fix the leak by tigheneing the fittings and then bleed the whole steering system. Both seastar teleflex usa site and the other brands have bleed instructions on their websites. Very rarely have I seen a helm pump die but it can happen. Not something as simple as when the steering wheel was put on that they havent installed the key in the keyway??

If it is a relatively new install phone the people who installed it and get them to run you through what you need to do or tell em your coming by to have them do it on the spot.

With premade hoses there is only the 2 connections behind the helm and 2 at the ram and the only other open place in the hydraulic circuit is the 2 bleed points on the ram.

good luck

skipalong
22-03-2008, 07:28 AM
no problems thanks for the help, had a look thismorning and one of the hoses at the rear ram on motor is not in the straightest and has worked its way out the slightest little bit when putting the motor up and down, but all sorted and works a treat. cheers justin