PDA

View Full Version : 20hp yamaha

gogetter
21-03-2008, 06:02 PM
i have a 20hp yamaha on a 13 ft tinny. motor has great compression and runs smooth but, it seems to lack the get up and go with to adults and a child in it.

can anyone suggest a prop maybe that will give me a bit more push to get up and plane? it currently has a 9 7/8 x 11 3/4 - f. this prop has a few dings on it as well:-/

thanks

shane

Kleyny
21-03-2008, 07:36 PM
hows your motor height?
what angle do you have?
where are the passengers seating on take off?
i would look at all these before looking at a prop.
can you take a photo of the damage on the prop I'm sure there would be someone here that could tell you if its ok or knackered.

neil

CreelReaper
22-03-2008, 02:28 AM
Hey Gogetter
As Honky Dory stated there could be other considertions that could work. Does the motor have a foil?? It will give you a little lift to punch you out of the hole.
What is the capacity of the hull?? You might be putting too much weight in her. Too much weight towards the nose and the boat won't perform too well. Try and keep it level.

Shane

gogetter
22-03-2008, 08:09 PM
thanks guys, i have treid moving the people around brfore and after take off. tried motor angles.... a foil i don't have so i might btry this... it goes real good with one person.... anyways i''l get a pic of the prop. also the motor is a 95 model.....

litenup
22-03-2008, 10:35 PM
You could be short of HP. Some of those 20's can be upgraded to 25hp with an modification to exhaust. I do forget which models. Mate had it done and made big difference to performance. some of those 13 ft boats need just a bit more when you load them up. A foil will help. Cheers Pete.

gogetter
23-03-2008, 08:44 AM
thanks liten up. i'll ask around and see if there can be a mod for the exhaust.. that sounds like the go if i can get it to 25hp...

does anyone on here know if a 95 model yamaha 20hp power outboard can be modified to a 25 with little exspense???

Scott Ashe
23-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Hi mate,

I'm not sure whether you can upgrade or not, it but it may be cheaper to buy a 25hp.

Cheers
Scott

gogetter
23-03-2008, 08:00 PM
thanks for your reply scott but, i'm a bit short of funds at the moment. that boat in my pick was my half cabin after the airlie beach wind storm last month. no insurance....... so i have picked me up a tinny until i can save enough coin to buy again...:(